Bashing RW

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Bashing RW

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:40 am

Wow, I picked up the most recent RW, and man, does it suck! The Penguin did an article in which he talked about eating pizza, McDonalds hamburgers, and drinking beer during a marathon. He bragged about finishing in over 8 hours, and it was the best time he ever had. What a joke. It's guys like that that keep our sport in the joke department of the sports world.

Down with Penguin!
Down with RW!

Re: Bashing RW

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:19 am

>Wow, I picked up the most recent RW, and man,
>does it suck! The Penguin did an article in which
>he talked about eating pizza, McDonalds
>hamburgers, and drinking beer during a marathon.
>He bragged about finishing in over 8 hours, and
>it was the best time he ever had. What a joke.
>It's guys like that that keep our sport in the
>joke department of the sports world. >>

I think it can be successfully argued that RW (by the very definition of it's name) doesn't cover "our sport" at all. So bashing them makes no more sense than bashing Field & Stream for its poor coverage of the jumps and throws.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:27 am

You aren't seeing the big picture. Track is struggling for legitimacy in the eyes of the public. Meanwhile, we have RW telling said public that running (they run in track, you know) is all about eating pizza and hamburgers during races. That hurts the sport's image. That holds us all back. And we have Runners World to thank for it.

Postby jsquire » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:41 am

Well . . . if it weren't for the tremendous popularity of running among the not-competitive-at-all crowd, there wouldn't be shoe sponsorships. The mag is definitely not what it once was; I've met most of their editors, and with one or two exceptions they're all really spacy. If you're a serious distance runner looking for competitive help, skip all the US running magazines and get Triathlete instead -- the 1/3 devoted to running is better than the whole RW or Running Times.

RW Online, on the other hand, is probably the best daily source of news for the competitive side of track & field, road racing, and cross country.
jsquire

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:41 am

>You aren't seeing the big picture. Track is
>struggling for legitimacy in the eyes of the
>public. Meanwhile, we have RW telling said
>public that running (they run in track, you know)
>is all about eating pizza and hamburgers during
>races. That hurts the sport's image. That holds
>us all back. And we have Runners World to thank
>for it.>

RW somewhat caters to the road racing crowd. When I run road races I almost find another track fan amongst the many I speak with. It's not the right demographic.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:45 am

Almost doesn't count. :-)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:11 pm

The mag is definitely not
>what it once was; I've met most of their editors,
>and with one or two exceptions they're all really
>spacy.

This does not surprise me. Just look at the "spacy" stuff they publish. That mag. blows more than anything has ever blown before.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:32 pm

... a classic adaptation of the classic line from Beavis and Butthead Do America. Thanks for the mammaries.

Postby racewalker » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:01 am

It went to heck when Bob Anderson had to sell it to pay off his wife in a divorce settlement, as I recall. Then Rodale got it and has been pumping it full of airy-fairy crap ever since. Thirty years ago, they used to occasionally have track athletes on the cover. They even had - gasp - racewalkers (once). Hmmm... Has T&FN EVER had racewalkers on the cover? (Insert snotty remarks here.)

I think that T&FN should put a clause in their corporate plan that it can never, ever be sold to Rodale.
racewalker

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:07 am

I think that T&FN should put a clause
>in their corporate plan that it can never, ever
>be sold to Rodale.

I agree that Rodale is much of the problem. I have heard from cyclists that the cycling mag. they own pretty much went to pot when Rodale bought it, too.

Postby racewalker » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:38 am

I believe that Rodale also had "Fitness Swimmer Magazine" which tanked after they started down the touchy-feely road.

GH - Swear on a stack of back rankings issues that T&FN will NEVER sell out to Rodale.
racewalker

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:36 am

I agree with this! RW sucks! So, they finally put a runner on the cover instead of a model. About time! However, the content was largely horrible. The aforementioned penguin article sucked horribly. Terrible. An insult to the sport. Also, they did a story on majic socks that would make you faster. Add this to sniffing cinnomon that a past issue said would make you faster. Galloway...oh, don't start on Galloway. He wrote more stupidity about how not training hard keeps you injury free. He didn't mention it also keeps you from the winner's stand. RW plan for running success: Eat pizza, hamburgers, & beer on the course, sniff cinnomon before the race, wear your majic socks, don't train hard, take walking breaks, and you'll be a champion. This is the message RW sends. It's all lies. RW sucks the big one!

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:57 am

Get over it already. RW caters to the recreational runner and occasional road racer. The core audience is never going to be a champion or even very competitive. They just want a magazine with some articles about their hobby/interest. RW has some corny stuff and some good stuff too.

All of that said - it is very frustrating when one tries to find quality track and field coverage. The internet is the best way to go - particularly for results (instant gratification). A little more difficult when looking for interviews, stories, training advice and the list goes on.

Oh well, there is my two cents worth - bash away if you will - it may be an illusory two cents anyway.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:47 am

I have never heard of or seen an American elite
complain or regret being on the cover of runners
world. Have any of you? Why are all the people complaining of runners world mag , have such details of each issue? Did you purchase it or is your life so empty you have time to read it at a magazine stand without paying. You should visit Letsrun.com for some serious talk about "track and field".
The rest of the world also refers to "your" sport
as "Athletics". Quit calling it track and field
America, get with it. Although outside of America
they refer to golf as "Ball and Club"
Wake up time war mongers, find your weapon of mass dist.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:54 pm

El Supremo tires of the monthly bash of Runner's World. While I am pumped about spending tommorrow laying in the sun watching the Ohio state track meet, many of my running buddies (make that most) won't be there - they just love to run and occationally go out and "race" a 5k in 19:00. Runners World is for them, for my wife, who used Galloway's training technique to finish her first marathon, and for many others. I don't think its a bad magazine - if you read it expecting T&F coverage you are not familiar with it. It's not for "us" - it's for "them" - live with it.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:01 pm

>El Supremo tires of the monthly bash of Runner's
>World. While I am pumped about spending
>tommorrow laying in the sun watching the Ohio
>state track meet, many of my running buddies
>(make that most) won't be there - they just love
>to run and occationally go out and "race" a 5k
>in 19:00. Runners World is for them, for my
>wife, who used Galloway's training technique to
>finish her first marathon, and for many others.
>I don't think its a bad magazine - if you read
>it expecting T&F coverage you are not familiar
>with it. It's not for "us" - it's for
>"them" - live with it.

Yes, but it is not even good for "them." It tells "them" that the key to better running is sniffing cinnomon, magic socks, Liz Applegate's 10 power foods, ect. ect. ect. Meanwhile, the truth is that you get faster by working out hard. RW fails to mention that. I gues magic socks sell better than hard work. RW sucks, no matter who the intended audience is.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 4:09 pm

better running doesn't have to mean faster running. it just means enjoying the sport more, food,galloway,socks....this is a great magazine for light reading. your post must mean your not an elite runner , or you would be out training and not plopped in front of your computer like a lump of bread dough..or your old and living in the past like everyone else on this board. You should try a find some friends an expand your life beyond the internet.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:07 pm

Its almost as bad as covering a guy traveling through South America on an old 10 speed while having coconuts thrown at him. It really has very little to do with the sport.

Postby Cannon » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:15 pm

I think el supremo has it right.RW is more for the recreational runner than the competitive one. Running can be delightfully healthy and satisfying sans blood and guts training and racing.I've done both--having trained hard and competed in H.S. and college--and now I love my 3 mile jaunt at 10 minute pace. It feels great and keeps me fit and toned. I love both T&FN (reflecting my competitive days) and RW (reflecting my run for health and enjoyment days) both have their merits...
Cannon

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:33 pm

Runner's World is a FITNESS TABLOID. If it were really a good source of information, they wouldn't be able to come up with a new "TOP 10 BEST RUNNING FOODS" every month. It's for fun runners and joggers, not for athletes.

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:41 pm

Did anyone read the "PERFECT RUNNER'S DIET" article they ran last year? I still can't get over that one. Basically it was Don Kardon's journal of the week he spent trying to eat according to the food pyramid, or more accurately, crap don as many handfulls of wheat thins as he could remember to throughout the day. He also counted potato chips, french fries, and katchup as "vegetable" servings. It was terrible. And this was advertised as being the "perfect" diet

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:58 pm

To Brian Gates: The "perfect diet" thing in the Don Kardong article was tongue in cheek. Kardong is famous for kidding about his "good" diet items like touting Fruit Loops as the perfect breakfast food. I think RW does have good, well researched advice for runners--but has more for recreational runners than competitive runners. I love Joe Henderson's column--have been reading him for 30+ years--he's very insightful and fun to read in my opinion.

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:12 pm

Kardong's first foray in the wonderful world of Froot Loops and other fun foods, as I recall, was actually in T&FN, not RW!

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:51 am

>love Joe Henderson's column--have been reading
>him for 30+ years--he's very insightful and fun
>to read in my opinion.

Well, if he does something for you, then OK. Personally, I can't remember the time that man made a discernable point. I've never read anyone who could ramble on aimlessly in a column like he can. He contributes greatly to RW's general suckiness.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:00 am

All you RW haters seem to know an awful lot about the articles/stories in RW. El Supremo thinks you are closet readers. Admit it, you skip with glee from the mailbox to the bathroom, then devour the issue cover to cover.

Remember the old "Runner" magazine - now that was a pretty good magazine in the 80's - I remember an article about the national HS record 4x880y relay between 2 schools with a detailed breakdown of each leg from the runner's perspective - an awesome article - anyone remember the issue date??

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:19 am

El Supremo seems to be right. The magazine must have a huge "I hate RW but I read it so I can bash it" market. For these folks, it appears that RW has entered the realm of irritainment- something you can't stand but keep watching/reading so you can get pissed off at it.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:10 pm

On a slighlty different note. I recently picked up a box a 'runner' and 'runners world' magazines about 50 of them at a second hand book sale for about $3. All from late 70's early 80's. They really make some graet reading. But even then RW had the evil undertones of the mainstream 'funrunner'. With such great articles as 'Pain: Why it hurts' and 'Cigarettes and Running can the two addictions co-exist'.
Including advertisments for such things as diamond rings, beer, and the breakthrough technology insta-pulse.

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 09, 2003 2:18 pm

>But even then RW
>had the evil undertones of the mainstream
>'funrunner'.

Yes, the evil mainstream. They are so terrible that their shoe-buying habits support the entire sport of pro track. I say we round them all up for a good old-fashioned lynching!

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:45 am

>>But even then RW
>had the evil undertones of
>the mainstream
>'funrunner'.

Yes, the evil
>mainstream. They are so terrible that their
>shoe-buying habits support the entire sport of
>pro track. I say we round them all up for a good
>old-fashioned lynching!

So it's ok to lie to the mainstream? Because that's what RW and Galloway do with all their "don't train hard, take walk break" nonsense.