Do away with different classes in HS XC

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Do away with different classes in HS XC

Postby lonewolf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:43 pm

Marlow wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Oklahoma has a Meet of Champions the week after state meets. The top three finishers from each of 6 classes have distinctive uniforms. It is well attended, even by kids from the far corners of the state, and one of my favorite meets to work.

Florida had that ONE year (in the 90s) and it was a flop. Most of the kids wanted to pack it in. I've often wondered how other states can do it.

I dunno how we do it either.. Oklahoma has been doing it for ????? years..We just have a track meet and (nearly) everyone shows up.Last year in the LJ, I had 17 of 18 eligible girls and 16 of 18 eligible boys. The evening meet is held in OKC in the center of the state so no one is more than 400 miles from home.The meet is on Tuesday after State on Saturday... maybe the kids from the Panhandle and Idabel just don't go home.. the kids love it... there is good natured rivalry between the classes and winners come from every class school... welcome change for both athletes and officials from pressure of "more important" meets.. I even get to do a little coach coaching ... can hardly wait till next year. :)
lonewolf

Postby DrJay » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Interesting. Just scoped out the website for tomorrow's state meets. Looks like 2A runs 5 and scores 3, and 3A runs 6 and scores 4. (4A and 5A run 7 and score 5.) Any other states do that for the smaller schools?
DrJay

Postby Jnathletics » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Michigan has 7 state champs, 4 divisions in the Lower Peninsula (LP) and 3 in the Upper Peninsula (UP). They separate the Peninsulas for travel reasons in many sports. (weather is an issue for X-C). This is actually a reduction in X-C as they use to have separate races for teams and individuals. So, before 2000's there were 14 individual runners claiming a state championship, now its only 7 as team and individuals run in one race per division and/or Peninsula.

Can't understand why the UP doesn't join the Track&Field finals, as it would be perfect for their UP championships being a qualifying for the Finals. As the number of teams is almost the same as any other Regional meet and typically the LP state meet is the last week of school.
Jnathletics

Postby DrJay » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:39 pm

So much for my rant....Bailey Roth finished 17th in the 4A, 50 seconds off the win. Geberkindane won the 5A in a course record 15:48 with second 41 seconds back. It's a tough course. Elise Cranny ran away with the girls 4A race, 18:08, a course record by 9 seconds. Sophomore Katie Rainsberger was second in 18:47 (her mom is Lisa Larsen Rainsberger, last US woman to win Boston, in 1985, and she won Chicago in 1988 and 1989.)

http://chsaanow.com/2013-10-26/state-cr ... l-results/
DrJay

Postby Gebrucilassie » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:38 am

gh wrote:how many states (even roughly) have a no-class system?

Haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet. But in N.J. they have all of the group Champs one week followed by the "Meet of Champions" of all the top placers from the different groups. This allows the best of the best to compete at the end of the season. I think more states should follow this system.
Having spent the last 20 plus years in Florida and not seeing top match ups I do miss that format :(
Gebrucilassie