Toronto Marathon 2013

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Toronto Marathon 2013

Postby Master Po » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:24 am

http://www.torontowaterfrontmarathon.com/en/index.htm

A few notes that may be of interest from today's Toronto Marathon:

Men
1. Deressa Chima ETH 2:07:05

Women
1. Philomena Cheyech KEN 2:25:13

I think both are course records, and may also be Canadian all-comers records (but I don't know).

Also:

3. Lanni Marchant CAN 2:28:00 NR
4. Krista DuChene CAN 2:28:32 #2 a-t

Both surpassed Sylvia Ruegger's NR of 2:28:36, from 1985. Congratulations to both.

Finally, the great veteran runner Ed Whitlock, now 82yo (b. March 1931), in 3:41:58. At 80yo, he ran a 3:15:54 at Toronto in 2011, so he doesn't match his 80+ record, but I will guess w/o looking it up that this is a single age record for 82yo (since the 85+ record is nearly an hour slower). One way of placing Whitlock's age in context: He was born a year before Abebe Bikila. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Whitlock
Master Po

Re: Toronto Marathon 2013

Postby aaronk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:20 am

I've seen or heard at least two different times for Marchant.
2:27:57 was tweeted as the "official" time by Athletics Canada.
Tim Hutchins read the time as 2:27:59 on the livestream.
(And the results sheet linked above lists it as 2:27:59.6.....which would be rounded up to 2:28:00.)
Whatever the case, it's a new Canadian Record!! :)
aaronk

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:09 pm

The men's time is a Canadian all-comers record. The best women's time ever recorded in Canada according to my sources is 2:22:42 by Koren Jelela Yal (ETH) in Toronto on 10/16/11. I think there used to be multiple Toronto marathons, so it could have been on a different course than today's race.
Mighty Favog

Postby nevetsllim » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:52 am

I'm quite surprised so many marathon-runners are racing so soon after the World Champs. The conditions in Moscow were probably the worst for a major champs since Osaka in 2007 but the two Canadians in the women's race have just come from Moscow while a lot of the medallists/top finishers have already raced since, or will be competing in New York.
nevetsllim

Postby Master Po » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:02 am

^ Interesting observation re Moscow's conditions for the women & the turnaround to Fall marathons. I don't recall Deena Kastor's exact words, but she described the conditions in such a way that made me really notice how bad it was for the marathoners. DuChene was DNF at Moscow. Haven't looked up at what point in the race she retired. Marchant had a particularly rough day there, 44th in 3:01:54. That was ~30 minutes slower than her PB going into the race, and only two runners finished behind her. She must have been determined to cross the finish line. In my "vast" experience :roll: as a long distance runner, I found that the recovery from the bad performances -- the really slow times -- was much harder than from better, faster times. Though it seemed sort of counterintuitive, those slower, worse performances seemed to beat up the body more than the better ones. Of course I have no idea about Marchant, but I would guess that those 3+ hours in the Moscow race required some serious recovery. She must have managed it well, given what she did yesterday. Ditto for DuChene.
Master Po

Postby TN1965 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:38 am

Master Po wrote:Finally, the great veteran runner Ed Whitlock, now 82yo (b. March 1931), in 3:41:58. At 80yo, he ran a 3:15:54 at Toronto in 2011, so he doesn't match his 80+ record, but I will guess w/o looking it up that this is a single age record for 82yo (since the 85+ record is nearly an hour slower.

The previous single age record for 82 was 3:48:35 (Ed Benham 1989). So Whitlock improved that by almost seven minutes. I think he also became the oldest person ever to run under 4 hours. Benham was 82 yr and 88 days old, and Whitlock was 82 yrs and 228 days old.

http://www.arrs.net/SA_Mara.htm
TN1965

Postby Vielleicht » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Master Po wrote:In my "vast" experience :roll: as a long distance runner, I found that the recovery from the bad performances -- the really slow times -- was much harder than from better, faster times. Though it seemed sort of counterintuitive, those slower, worse performances seemed to beat up the body more than the better ones. Of course I have no idea about Marchant, but I would guess that those 3+ hours in the Moscow race required some serious recovery. She must have managed it well, given what she did yesterday. Ditto for DuChene.

In my experience it's the same, my theory/guess is that the time matters more than distance so if you spend more time, you also need more time to recover.
Vielleicht

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Master Po wrote:Of course I have no idea about Marchant, but I would guess that those 3+ hours in the Moscow race required some serious recovery. She must have managed it well, given what she did yesterday. Ditto for DuChene.

Assuming that she was in very good shape, when the weather knocked her out from any finish of interest, she might have changed in to cruise mode, so that she was not a mess at the finish, other than being hot and dehydrated (in a normal sense, not badly).
26mi235

Postby nevetsllim » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:22 am

Master Po wrote:^ Interesting observation re Moscow's conditions for the women & the turnaround to Fall marathons. I don't recall Deena Kastor's exact words, but she described the conditions in such a way that made me really notice how bad it was for the marathoners. DuChene was DNF at Moscow. Haven't looked up at what point in the race she retired. Marchant had a particularly rough day there, 44th in 3:01:54 (...) Of course I have no idea about Marchant, but I would guess that those 3+ hours in the Moscow race required some serious recovery. She must have managed it well, given what she did yesterday. Ditto for DuChene.

Kastor described it at as the toughest race of her life which is saying something as she raced at the 2004 Olympics in similar conditions on a man-killer of a course. But there's no doubt she was in much better shape and better equipped to deal with it in 2004.

This article gives a bit of insight to DuChene and Marchant's performances in Moscow. DuChene initially said she wasn't going to race another marathon this year but she clearly recovered much faster than she expected!
http://runningmagazine.ca/moscow-2013-a ... d-duchene/
nevetsllim