PV Safety

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

PV Safety

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:22 pm

I see the NCAA is mandating the new box collars. HSs will have to conform next year.
Add that to the collapsible box that Sky-Dex makes and extended front buns and things have gotten LOTS better.
BTW, I gots all of them! :D
Marlow

Re: PV Safety

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:33 pm

The NCAA Committee on Competitive Safeguards and Medical Aspects of Sport (“CSMAS”) recommended adoption of the pole vault box padding rule for safety purposes to further reduce the risk of student-athlete injury caused by impact with the pole vault box. There is substantial evidence demonstrating that a number of pole vault injuries occur when student-athletes land in or around the vault box. The box collar padding rule adopted by the NCAA was designed to mitigate such injuries by providing as much padding around fixed and solid objects as possible to absorb the potential impact from a student-athlete.

I do have a question about the collars. If the pole its the collar it might not be as smooth a path to the bottom of the box and might cause some problems that might have safety issues of its own.

I saw the item and was going to post it along with questions for the likes of Marlow and PoleVaultPower. I do not remember this rule and it scheduled start on December 1. Any comments?
26mi235

Postby Marlow » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:03 am

26mi235 wrote:I do have a question about the collars. If the pole its the collar it might not be as smooth a path to the bottom of the box and might cause some problems that might have safety issues of its own.

We've been using the new collar for a month in club practices and this hasn't happened on one vault. The new collar doesn't affect the plant at all, as far as we can see.
Marlow

Postby skyin' brian » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:52 am

There were some pretty in depth discussions on the polevaultpower boards regarding whether the collar interferes with poles or not.

The long post (a copy/paste) by pvjunkie here (3rd down the page) has lots of info: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... 5&start=48

This thread has some more recent posts http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... 47&t=26868
skyin' brian

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:12 am

The rule was just announced last spring, when the ASTM standard was finalized. I am shocked that the NCAA would require a piece of equipment that was not even commercially available at the time of their announcement.

Although similar box collars have been in use for years, the exact box collar required by this rule, with both the wing design and this level of force impact rating, has only existed a few months and has not been used in many competitions, let alone this level of competition.

Do I think the collar is safe? Yes, as far as I can tell. We bought one at my HS, installed it right before the district meet, and it was fine. None of the kids freaked out or had any problems.

The concern that many college coaches have is that the collar will impede the movement of the bending pole with the bigger poles.

It's a big ugly mess and I don't like it. All the NCAA had to do was delay implementation for a year or two, give people time to get used to it and prove that the exact collar being mandated is safe. I truly believe that they have set themselves up for a lawsuit if any athletes come up short and get injured this year. Juries don't like student athletes being used as guinea pigs.
polevaultpower

Postby decamouse » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 am

One problem will be the earlier version put out - and making sure you have a version that does allow the free pole slide that is expressly detailed in the standard. Have used them, lots of positive reassons for them - but - like anything must be put in the right position and not allowed to encroach into the pole slide area or you do increase the risk of hitting it and "possibly" looing momentum - couple that with they are not currently available and I see Becca's this is messy
decamouse

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:57 am

Thanks for the posts - I hope to have clarity before officiating begins (for me) in January.

[Also good to see another Wisconsin poster :D ]
26mi235