World Indoor 2016 - USA?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

World Indoor 2016 - USA?

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 am

I see the FP report that Vin Lananna et al are preparing a bid to bring the iWC to Portland in '16.
Tres cool if they can pull it off.
Marlow

Re: World Indoor 2016 - USA?

Postby aaronk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:30 am

Haven't read the article....yet.
But I have a few thoughts about its subject.

1. I wasn't even aware Portland HAD an indoor track!! I've never heard of any indoor meets....not even small high school or collegiate meets......being held there....ever!!

2. They want to hold the WORLD Indoor Championships in just over two years from now?? Don't you think it would be nice if they FIRST showed what they can do by putting on one or two smaller meets?? Vin Lananna is a great guy, and has done wonderful things at Stanford and UO. But if I were the one to be deciding on the 2016 WIC venue, I'd want to see a sample or two of what they've DONE before deciding. What one does well in Palo Alto or Eugene is not necessarily what they will do in Portland.

3. I assume the tracks (There are two of them?? News to me!!) in Portland are 200 meters around. If nothing else, I am happy we don't have to think about those alien monstrosities like they have in Seattle!!

I hope they get it, but let's have some lesser meets (than a WIC) there first!! I mean, if there are indoor tracks there, WHY haven't they been put to use before??
Imagine what could be!!

Collegiate indoor meets between the PAC-12 schools....or at least the four in Oregon and Washington!
Also WA-OR high school indoor meets!!
A WEST coast venue for indoor track.....that could become as big and important as The Armory or Boston is in the east!!
A place where Portland-based groups like Jerry Schumacher's and Alberto Salazar's could bring their storied athletes for some GREAT competitions.....adding in other west coast-based pro's!!!
aaronk

Postby gh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 am

aaronk wrote:Haven't read the article....yet.

1. I wasn't even aware Portland HAD an indoor track!! I've never heard of any indoor meets....not even small high school or collegiate meets......being held there....ever!!...

You must have slept through the '60s and '70s, when Portland's Oregon Invitational was a mainstay on the indoor circuit.
gh

Postby huntinwr » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:42 am

gh wrote:

1. I wasn't even aware Portland HAD an indoor track!! I've never heard of any indoor meets....not even small high school or collegiate meets......being held there....ever!!...

You must have slept through the '60s and '70s, when Portland's Oregon Invitational was a mainstay on the indoor circuit.

Yeah, Pre used to compete there regularly, beginning in HS. Once lapped Jim Ryun in a 2M there, I think. Track was in the Coliseum, formerly the home of the Trail Blazers until they built the Rose Garden...
huntinwr

Postby br » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:23 am

gh is right, you must have slept through the 60's, 70, and even the 80's, when I ran in the meet.

1. I wasn't even aware Portland HAD an indoor track!! I've never heard of any indoor meets....not even small high school or collegiate meets......being held there....ever!!

Recently, there have been indoor meets put on by the University of Portland. http://www.ustfccca.org/infozone/public ... 2040732459

And here is a 2010 article about a proposed new track facility at the coliseum.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... etiti.html

"One plan for renovation of Memorial Coliseum would include a 200-meter, banked track capable of hosting championship-level meets.

Local fans might want to keep an eye on what the Portland City Council decides to do with Memorial Coliseum.

The city council meets Wednesday to consider three plans for redevelopment, one of which would turn the coliseum into a recreational center that could include a competition-level, 200-meter banked track.The coliseum once held the Portland Indoor, an annual track meet that attracted many of the country's top professionals. Indoor track has undergone a local revival in recent years, with the emergence of the University of Oregon as an NCAA power."

I don't know if those plans ever came to fruition.
br

Postby gh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:56 am

aaronk wrote:H...
2. They want to hold the WORLD Indoor Championships in just over two years from now?? Don't you think it would be nice if they FIRST showed what they can do by putting on one or two smaller meets?? ....!

err, they've already put on a BIGGER meet. It's called the Olympic Trials. It was in all the papers.
gh

Postby aaronk » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:06 pm

Okay guys (and gals?), back off a bit!
Yes, I forgot about the old Portland Invite.
About the last comment....about first putting on lesser meets.....I was referring to PORTLAND......and RECENT meets (not the 60's-80's).....not what Vin and Phil have done 110 miles south!!
Wouldn't the selection committee want to know about how many people would attend, how the local (Portland) media would cover it, and to measure how much interest there is in the idea (outside of Eugene)....before deciding?

So yes, I DID forget Portland's past history of indoor track.
But, except for those small college meets from 2010 (??), nothing remotely close to a NATIONAL....let alone a WORLD-level meet has been held there......IN PORTLAND!!.....for a quarter century or more!!

ADD: I speak of INDOOR meets, so this year's PTF and those time trials for Jordan Hasay and Tara Erdmann don't really count.
aaronk

Postby gh » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:00 pm

aaronk wrote:....
Wouldn't the selection committee want to know about how many people would attend, how the local (Portland) media would cover it, and to measure how much interest there is in the idea (outside of Eugene)....before deciding?.....

Not really, no.

Putting on a good meet—particularly one that televises well—and doesn't end up costing the IAAF any money is pretty close to the bottom line.

How do you think the "Doha media" covered the ’10 World Indoor? How much local interest do you think there was in the meet? I'd put paid attendance by the locals in the hundreds.
gh

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:22 am

There have been some very small indoor meets in Portland over the past few years, but that is a very small and terrible facility and has no relation to any bid for the World Championships.

Love the idea, but I suspect it would likely be a one-time event. Best case they figure out a way to have an annual indoor meet like they do at Fresno State. This isn't like putting a Dempsey Center in Portland, where athletes have a great indoor training facility and can host a series of meets.
polevaultpower

Postby gh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:31 pm

of course it'll be a one-time event. If you look at the history of World Indoor hosts, I think you'll find that virtually none of them led to a significant series of annual meets down the road (think Indianapolis, Budapest, Seville, Barcelona, Toronto, Maebashi, Lisbon, Doha, etc., etc.).

Lananna & Co. are almost assuredly not getting into this because they want to become indoor meet promoters.
gh

Postby DrJay » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:29 pm

OTs, Pre, NCAA, World Youth, WIC, _________ (fill in the blank)
DrJay

Postby James Fields » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:16 pm

Track was in the Coliseum, formerly the home of the Trail Blazers until they built the Rose Garden...

The board track, like others of that type, could be dis-assembled and trucked to other venues. It was in place at Eugene where I served as Clerk of Course for indoor meets in 1990s. In that same decade Jim Puckett was directing indoor meets in Portland.
James Fields

Postby Powell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:06 pm

gh wrote:of course it'll be a one-time event. If you look at the history of World Indoor hosts, I think you'll find that virtually none of them led to a significant series of annual meets down the road (think Indianapolis, Budapest, Seville, Barcelona, Toronto, Maebashi, Lisbon, Doha, etc., etc.)

And Sopot still hasn't hosted a single indoor track meet up to now. And I don't think it ever will after March 2014; after the WIC, the track is due to be permanently installed in Toruń.
Powell

Postby LadyT » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:02 am

Quick question: Would indoor facilities like the NY Armory, Arkansas, TAMU or Birmingham be too small to host a WIC? I am not sure of what the attendance numbers look like at a WIC.
LadyT

Postby gh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:05 am

I've not been to all the sites you cite but none of them have the characteristic that all sites of the World Indoor have had: being in a major building with miles of corridors in which all the infrastructure that's required for a meet of that magnitude to be taken care of.

the track and the stands are only an incidental part of the requirements.
gh

Postby exdrake » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:09 am

Lol--sweet! If corridors trump stands then I propose the Drake "velodrome' (a mere 12 laps to the mile). We have hosted many major meets.

Sigh......Penn would find a reason that weekend...........
exdrake

Postby lonewolf » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 am

Albuquerque comes to mind as a possibility. Arkansas and TAMU, no.
lonewolf

Postby gh » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:38 am

Albuquerque I've been to. I'd have to see what's inside the rest of the attached building (and what current usage is) before I could guess as to its suitability.

As it currently stands, IAAF would certainly nix it from the point of view of VIP and press seating. Benches don't cut it.
gh

Postby gm » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:01 am

Here's the dimensions of the arena in Birmingham (Eng.) that hosted the 2003 WIC --

Dimensions

Arena floor 100 x 60 m (tribunes retracted)
Arena floor 92 x 32 m (tribunes extended)

Clear height 19 m (17.5m under mothergrid)
Dressing Rooms

4 team locker rooms
4 star dressing rooms
2 multi purpose rooms (sub divisible)
2 Organisers offices – internet access and telephone lines provided within the organizers offices.

Athletes medical centre including physiotherapy room & sauna
Hospitality Suites

10 VIP Boxes
Press Lounges
Olympian Suite (sub divisible into 3 rooms)
gm

Postby Mighty Favog » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:51 pm

I'd hazard a guess that anyplace without fancy nice seats for the mucketymucks doesn't stand much chance of winning an IAAF Championships bid. I don't know how many of the USA's major indoor facilities have luxury suites, but ABQ most certainly does not. In terms of necessary seating capacity, my best guess based on what I've read here and elsewhere is that there needs to be enough that the LOC doesn't lose it's shirt on the deal, and in the USA that would require an NBA/NHL-sized arena or a football dome. Note that the two North American WID meets were in domes (Indy and Toronto).

That Portland has two NBA-quality arenas adjacent to each other means it has all the space and infrastructure an indoor Worlds could need. The Moda Center has 70 skyboxes for the abovementioned mucketymucks. Public transportation isn't as big an issue for an indoor Worlds but the Rose Quarter has that covered too.
Mighty Favog

Postby tandfman » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Mighty Favog wrote: Note that the two North American WID meets were in domes (Indy and Toronto).

There hasn't been a WIC in a big dome since Toronto, and for good reason. They're impossible to fill, and nobody wants to see a World Championships in a half-empty arena. IMHO, the image of the sport is better served by a 5,000 seat arena totally filled, than a 50,000 seat arena with 20-25,000 people sharing the space with 25,000+ empty seats.
tandfman

Postby Powell » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:52 am

tandfman wrote:
Mighty Favog wrote: Note that the two North American WID meets were in domes (Indy and Toronto).

There hasn't been a WIC in a big dome since Toronto, and for good reason.

I'm not sure indoor arenas of this type even exist outside of North America.
Powell