2-Hour Marathon Redux


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby lonewolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:46 am

Sounds like Seb is channeling me. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Pego » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:46 pm

lonewolf wrote:Sounds like Seb is channeling me. :)


If "channeling me" means a voice of reason, then he is "channeling me" too 8-) .
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby lonewolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Pego wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Sounds like Seb is channeling me. :)


If "channeling me" means a voice of reason, then he is "channeling me" too 8-) .

Pego, to paraphrase the hippies/beatniks ( or whatever they were called )of the 50s-60s, I think our motto should be: Never trust the judgement of anyone under 70. :)
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Pego » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:01 am

lonewolf wrote:
Pego wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Sounds like Seb is channeling me. :)


If "channeling me" means a voice of reason, then he is "channeling me" too 8-) .

Pego, to paraphrase the hippies/beatniks ( or whatever they were called )of the 50s-60s, I think our motto should be: Never trust the judgement of anyone under 70. :)


Exactly. What do they know?!
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:43 am

Pego wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Never trust the judgement of anyone under 70. :)

Exactly. What do they know?!

I was just thinking, 'I bet I'm only about 8 years away from understanding what the heck is going on!'
Marlow
 
Posts: 21125
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 am

For what it's worth, Tim Hutchings tweeted TWICE yesterday, both times emphatically stating he thinks it's ridiculous for Farah to make his 2 hour statement!!
Hutchings said (paraphrased) that until he can run a HALF marathon in one hour, it's stupid to think he could run TWO of them back to back!!

I agree 100%!!
When someone starts running the half in 57:30 (or faster!!), THEN I'll start believing the 2 hour marathon is possible!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3361
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Pego » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:47 am

Marlow wrote:
Pego wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Never trust the judgement of anyone under 70. :)

Exactly. What do they know?!

I was just thinking, 'I bet I'm only about 8 years away from understanding what the heck is going on!'


One could only hope... :wink: .
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:00 am

I'm 25. If I don't see a 1:59.X marathon in my lifetime, I'll be shocked.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Pego » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:40 am

JumboElliott wrote:I'm 25. If I don't see a 1:59.X marathon in my lifetime, I'll be shocked.


I hope that in 50 years you will be able to say to your grandchildren, "those old farts lonewolf and Pego that I befriended on T&FN message board might have been not quite so dense." 8-)
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Marlow » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:19 am

Pego wrote:I hope that in 50 years you will be able to say to your grandchildren, "those old farts lonewolf and Pego that I befriended on T&FN message board might have been not quite so dense." 8-)

And you aren't! Just very myopic! :wink:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21125
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby TN1965 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:39 am

I am expecting the first sub-2 before 2050. And I am hoping I will still be around... :)
TN1965
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Marlow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:39 am

OK, all you nay-sayers, contradict Geb (oh, wait, what's that? You do NOT know as much about the marathon as he does? Then STFU!) :twisted:

excerpt from front-page article:

Gebrselassie says it is possible, though, citing the progress of the record over the years as proof that it can be done.
“Look at the progress of the record,” said the man who broke it in Berlin twice – once in 2007 and again the year later. “It will come. It is very easy now to run 60:00 or 59:00 flat for a half marathon.”
He said the development of contributing factors such as training, nutrition, shoes, pacemakers and the design of the courses mean the world record will again be broken, and eventually the two-hour barrier also.
“It’s possible. That will happen, one day,” he said. “It’s not only the performance of the athlete, it’s the technology, there’s no question about that.”
He added: “According to my calculation, very soon in 20 years or 18 years, an athlete will run in under two hours.”
Marlow
 
Posts: 21125
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 am

One problem is that a key source of gain has been one that is probably tapped out -- the course. Hard for them to get much flatter or with more pacers (there might be some push back if a dozen are used).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16334
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: 2-Hour Marathon Redux

Postby Marlow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 am

26mi235 wrote:One problem is that a key source of gain has been one that is probably tapped out -- the course.

That has been a constant for some time now, so it has already been factored into Geb's algorithm!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21125
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GDAWG, Jackaloupe, pickle47 and 5 guests