Girl Runners Tougher Than Boys?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Girl Runners Tougher Than Boys?

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Marlow wrote:You missed the point entirely. They are much more willing to 'hurt' for teammates than just for themselves. It's not under-performing if the motivations are completely different. It's like saying that kids under-perform in practice because they can't replicate championship meet times.

No, I didn't miss your point. Physically, you girls are capable of running faster in open races, but according to you they lack the motivation to do it.
jazzcyclist

Postby Marlow » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:01 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Physically, you girls are capable of running faster in open races, but according to you they lack the motivation to do it.

'Physically" 99% of girls AND boys in HS can run a lot faster than their current PRs. Motivation is everything.
Marlow

Postby mal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:00 pm

Marlow wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Physically, you girls are capable of running faster in open races, but according to you they lack the motivation to do it.

'Physically" 99% of girls AND boys in HS can run a lot faster than their current PRs. Motivation is everything.

Not to the extent you are talking about.

Jazzcylist is right.
mal

Postby PDJ551 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:00 am

All of us who post can only write of our own experiences which though matter how deep are only a glimpse at the question posed. I don't believe in generalizations concerning boys and girls. I was a young coach at medium sized high school when girls track started in the mid 1970s. I didn't like sharing my narrow track with a mob of girls. They often walked on the inside lanes getting in the way of boys doing real workouts. That was my attitude. I laugh now when I think back. The next year a girl sprinter arrived who had some talent. I worked with her in the winter and was amazed at the toughness that this wisp of girl possessed. She was as competitive as any boy I had ever seen and that was saying a lot because I had already worked with some awe inspiring runners. The very next year the first girl ran xc in our school. Again I was amazed at her work ethic and race toughness. Those two girls changed my entire outlook. Very easily those two could not have come along and my attitude might have been very different for many years. I never had a girl cry if I asked her to work harder, but of course that doesn't mean anything when you look at the entire picture.

The one generalization I will make is that girls will cry out loud after a bad meet or they're unhappy, while a boy will not. Yet, I do know from personal experience, that a boy will go home and cry in his pillow at night after a bad performance. That situation only exists because of what societal expectations and acceptances.

All of us observers know that there are a lot of exceptional boys and girls out there in our sport and I'm not just talking about ability.
PDJ551

Postby Marlow » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:13 am

PDJ551 wrote:I don't believe in generalizations concerning boys and girls.

Then you have had a charmed coaching life! Every year (20 coaching here: girls volleyball, boys soccer, co-ed track) I see more and more that for them to excel as individuals and as teams they must be coached with gender-based differences in mind. I desperately wish that weren't the case.
Marlow

Postby Pego » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:32 am

PDJ551 wrote:That situation only exists because of what societal expectations and acceptances.

Not so. Brains of the two genders are wired differently, so the emotional responses are expressed differently.
Pego

Postby mal » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:48 pm

Marlow wrote:

Then you have had a charmed coaching life! Every year (20 coaching here: girls volleyball, boys soccer, co-ed track) I see more and more that for them to excel as individuals and as teams they must be coached with gender-based differences in mind. I desperately wish that weren't the case.

Why? ('I desperately wish that weren't the case')
You don't seem disinterested.
And every boy athlete is somewhat different as well. Coaching usually needs to be tailored to the individual to be its most effective. Even in team sports
mal

Postby Marlow » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:12 pm

mal wrote:
Marlow wrote:they must be coached with gender-based differences in mind. I desperately wish that weren't the case.

Why? You don't seem disinterested.

Because life would be so much easier if athletics were just about athletics.
Marlow

Postby PDJ551 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:03 am

I should have been clearer. I have always coached kids as individuals. Coaching an individual sport like xc and track it made the most sense. To be fair other than playing one year of recreation baseball in 5th Grade (the coach told me not to worry about my poor skills as I would have track in high school) and freshman football I have had no experience in other sports. Now in my 46th year of coaching I still coach kids as individuals and do not generalize although I do realize that coaching girls and boys does have its differences.
PDJ551

Postby mal » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Marlow wrote:
mal wrote:
Marlow wrote:they must be coached with gender-based differences in mind. I desperately wish that weren't the case.

Why? You don't seem disinterested.

Because life would be so much easier if athletics were just about athletics.

In my view, the only interesting part is the personalities. If it was about setting sessions, then everyone would fine with a computer search and a stop watch.

No sport is ever just about the sport.
mal

Postby Marlow » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:25 pm

mal wrote:In my view, the only interesting part is the personalities. If it was about setting sessions, then everyone would fine with a computer search and a stop watch.

I didn't say it would be more interesting; I said it'd be easier. Coaching boys is MUCH easier than girls. Boys respond to positive AND negative reinforcement. Girls primarily positive. You have to walk on egg-shells around girls, not so much boys. You can treat MOST boys the same. You MUST treat girls individually. You can kid and tease (in fun) with boys; with girls you have to verrrrry careful with the fun stuff. I adore my girls, and they generally respond better to direction because they DO want to please you more (boys want to please themselves and show off more), but whereas I can't ever remember 'offending' a boy, I've had girls burst into tears because of some imagined slight they thought they saw. Ultimately the coach-athlete bond is stronger with girls, but that doesn't always translate into better performance, and then you have the threat of being creepy, something I'm always fearful of, but thankfully hasn't happened precisely because I AM so wary of it. I have hugged boys in enthusiasm and been hugged back. That's a HUGE taboo at our school with girls (for men coaches) and probably a necessary thing, but sometimes a high-five just doesn't cut it! :D
Marlow

Postby lonewolf » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:12 pm

I worked X-C finish line chutes for many years, picking up sweaty, slippery girls, who had collapsed in the chute, to keep them in finish order and the line moving.. nobody thought there was anything pervy about it...
Now, with the PC atmosphere, you never know when some one is going to cry "pervert".
Fortunately, chip timing has about eliminated the necessity to maintain finish order.. and I don't see as many girls collapsing as used to.. dunno if they are in better shape or not trying as hard.
lonewolf

Postby Jerham » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:37 pm

Marlow wrote:

Be careful of sweeping generalizations. Please be reminded that there are over 200 countries on the planet and this statement may not apply to all.

You guys need to stop judging the world from your narrow local cultural realities. I bet that this conclusion was drawn from an American perspective.
Jerham

Postby Jerham » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Marlow wrote:
mal wrote:In my view, the only interesting part is the personalities. If it was about setting sessions, then everyone would fine with a computer search and a stop watch.

I didn't say it would be more interesting; I said it'd be easier. Coaching boys is MUCH easier than girls. Boys respond to positive AND negative reinforcement. Girls primarily positive. You have to walk on egg-shells around girls, not so much boys. You can treat MOST boys the same. You MUST treat girls individually. You can kid and tease (in fun) with boys; with girls you have to verrrrry careful with the fun stuff. I adore my girls, and they generally respond better to direction because they DO want to please you more (boys want to please themselves and show off more), but whereas I can't ever remember 'offending' a boy, I've had girls burst into tears because of some imagined slight they thought they saw. Ultimately the coach-athlete bond is stronger with girls, but that doesn't always translate into better performance, and then you have the threat of being creepy, something I'm always fearful of, but thankfully hasn't happened precisely because I AM so wary of it. I have hugged boys in enthusiasm and been hugged back. That's a HUGE taboo at our school with girls (for men coaches) and probably a necessary thing, but sometimes a high-five just doesn't cut it! :D

Marlow, your perspective is quite informative as a teacher I have had a similar experiences dealing with boys and girls. Teenage girls tends to be far more sensitive and emotional and may require more individual attention and scrutiny in what you say and do in relating to them.
Jerham

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:59 pm

Jerham wrote:I bet that this conclusion was drawn from an American perspective.

Mine is an exclusively USAian experience. I would love to hear from our Euro, Asian, Oceania, African coaches with extensive experience with both genders. There probably is some overlap, but do cultural differences exist elsewhere? Perspiring minds want to know!
Marlow

Postby ExCoastRanger » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Marlow wrote: I've had girls burst into tears because of some imagined slight they thought they saw...

A couple of years ago a basketball-coaching friend was on the floor with one of his youth girl's teams and he was so impressed with the drive and endurance of one of the girls he complimented her, "You're a horse!" She burst into tears.
ExCoastRanger

Postby Marlow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:36 pm

ExCoastRanger wrote:"You're a horse!" She burst into tears.

That's why my current favorite athlete is a senior girl, 5'8, 130 lb, who can do brutal things in training and when I call her a 'beast', she beams with pride.
Marlow

Next