Did Jeremy Wariner retire?


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby trackdug » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:04 pm

WTF is with JW?

Didn't run at all after finishing last of all qualifiers at Nationals. No tweets, no news.

Did this guy hang it up?
trackdug
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:54 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby ATK » Sun Sep 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Considering her ran a 48, im willing to guess he got injured and just took the year off...
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby fasttrak85 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:51 am

ATK wrote:Considering her ran a 48, im willing to guess he got injured and just took the year off...



Jeremy Wariner had a sex change?
fasttrak85
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby rsb2 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:44 pm

fasttrak85 wrote:
ATK wrote:Considering her ran a 48, im willing to guess he got injured and just took the year off...



Jeremy Wariner had a sex change?


There is a Koch joke in there somewhere ...
rsb2
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby odelltrclan » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:13 pm

fasttrak85 wrote:
ATK wrote:Considering her ran a 48, im willing to guess he got injured and just took the year off...



Jeremy Wariner had a sex change?


Lame!! :roll:
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby trackinblack2 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:35 am

Looks like a simple typo. The "r" is right next to the "e" on the keyboard.
I'm sure there was no intent to mislead.
Just think of how important the decision on Coaching is to a runner. Silly mistakes
and ego driven decisions can be a disaster to a career. just look at Wallace Spearman
and Walter Dix.
trackinblack2
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby notlef70 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 am

trackinblack2 wrote:Looks like a simple typo. The "r" is right next to the "e" on the keyboard.
I'm sure there was no intent to mislead.
Just think of how important the decision on Coaching is to a runner. Silly mistakes
and ego driven decisions can be a disaster to a career. just look at Wallace Spearman
and Walter Dix.


I concur!! 8-)
notlef70
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby TDB » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:52 pm

trackinblack2 wrote:Looks like a simple typo. The "r" is right next to the "e" on the keyboard.
I'm sure there was no intent to mislead.
Just think of how important the decision on Coaching is to a runner. Silly mistakes
and ego driven decisions can be a disaster to a career. just look at Wallace Spearman
and Walter Dix.


If Jeremy Wariner's reign as King of the 400m coming to an end can solely be blamed on changing coaches, why is it that under coach ford in 2008 he ran a 43.8 and he hasn't run that fast ever since?

Ever since going back to coach Hart, JW hasn't looked nearly as good as he did during his year under coach Ford. is my point that Ford is a better coach than Hart? No!

My point is that I think he changed coaches during a year where it was probably just his time anyway. He's been back with Hart for over 4 seasons now. If taking silver in 2008 was strickly about coaching and not about other factors, I think Hart would have at least been able to get JW back to 43-High. But the fact that he hasn't run 43 since leaving coach Ford leads me to believe there are other factors at play.

While nobody likes to see Ali get beat up, or Jordan wearing a Wizards jersey, I admire guys who compete past their prime because at that point it becomes about doing it out of love and pure competitiveness to be the best that you can be.
TDB
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:51 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby toyracer » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:57 am

TDB wrote:Ever since going back to coach Hart, JW hasn't looked nearly as good as he did during his year under coach Ford. is my point that Ford is a better coach than Hart? No!


Maybe Ford was a better coach for Wariner than Hart...?
toyracer
 
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:38 pm
Location: Kingston, Jamaica

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby user4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:15 am

TDB wrote:.... leads me to believe there are other factors at play....


Agree with TDB, while the "other factors" may have been different over the most recent 5 years there can be no doubt that the key "other factor" now is father time.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:14 pm

Historically, sub-44 runners have had a short shelf life as dominant 400 runners. Michael Johnson was the exception to the rule.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby track400meters1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 am

No he didnt retire,, according to his twitter page he is currently in heavy training as of right now...

He was talking about how he just got done at the track with a hard workout...
Maybe he just wanted to relax the past couple years to get everyone talking..

It doesnt matter.. THe whole point is of what he has ALREADY accomplished..

Nobody on the planet has run a faster 400 time than his 43.45 since 1999!

Do you know how long ago 1999 was? lmao...

He is nowhere near retiring as long as he enjoys running track.. He is only 30.... He could very well hit his peak at age 38-46.... Nobody knows when someone is going to run their best times..

Everyone is built differently.. Everyone hits their peak at different ages.. Its all about sticking with it and having fun at it.. And its about liking what you do..
track400meters1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:29 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby ATK » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:41 am

track400meters1 wrote:He is nowhere near retiring as long as he enjoys running track.. He is only 30....

Please see Laruryn Williams
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby Powell » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:23 am

track400meters1 wrote:He could very well hit his peak at age 38-46....


LMAO :mrgreen:
Powell
 
Posts: 9065
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Vanuatu

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby Marlow » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:48 am

Powell wrote:
track400meters1 wrote:He could very well hit his peak at age 38-46....

LMAO :mrgreen:

Indeed, let's list all the sub-45 38-year-olds . . .
Marlow
 
Posts: 21126
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 am

TDB wrote:While nobody likes to see Ali get beat up,.....


speak for yourself :)
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby lonewolf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:53 am

I visited with Clyde Hart at Tyson, he says no.
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby kamikaze7 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:09 am

Wariner has nothing left to prove. He accomplished almost everything.

If any runner makes you shake your head in bewilderment it is Andrew Rock. It seems like he was done running by age 25.
kamikaze7
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:05 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby dl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:10 am

I have no inside knowledge of Wariner's situation, but I always remember what people much more experienced in this sport than me have said (generalizing, not regarding Wariner in particular), and that is that it is very difficult and rare for any athlete, but especially a sprinter, to be at the very top level for a long time. Wariner was Olympic champ almost ten years ago.
dl
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:30 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby gh » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:25 am

I'm a great believer in the school of thought that you only have so many years in you; if you're really good young, you're likely to lose years off the top end when it might be thought you're "still in your prime."

This is both a mental and physical thing, with the former perhaps being more important. You can only push your body so hard for so many years, and if you've got Olympic gold medals, at some point yuo're gonna wake up many mornings and ask yourself if you really want to go out and kill yourself for the 3,665th day in a row.

How unusual would it be for Wariner to continue on? Based on the history of his event…. VERY.

Number of years making the T&FN World Rankings:
1.Michael Johnson 11; 2. tie, Butch Reynolds & Jeremy Wariner 9; 4. tie, Chris Brown, Alberto Juantorena & Angelo Taylor 8.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby mal » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:27 am

exactly GH.

There comes a time when it becomes too much like work.
mal
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby dl » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

gh wrote:I'm a great believer in the school of thought that you only have so many years in you; if you're really good young, you're likely to lose years off the top end when it might be thought you're "still in your prime."

This is both a mental and physical thing, with the former perhaps being more important. You can only push your body so hard for so many years, and if you've got Olympic gold medals, at some point yuo're gonna wake up many mornings and ask yourself if you really want to go out and kill yourself for the 3,665th day in a row.

How unusual would it be for Wariner to continue on? Based on the history of his event…. VERY.

Number of years making the T&FN World Rankings:
1.Michael Johnson 11; 2. tie, Butch Reynolds & Jeremy Wariner 9; 4. tie, Chris Brown, Alberto Juantorena & Angelo Taylor 8.


Well put, GH. You were one of the "people much more experienced in this sport than me" I was referring to!
dl
 
Posts: 1805
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:30 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby user4 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:59 pm

The physical wear has to at least be as important as the mental. The body can only take so much and lets face it 400m training is not beach volleyball.

To this day I still cant get my head around MJ's longevity. Similarly perplexed about how Mike Larrabee was able to =WR and take OGgold at 31.. and in 1964 no less.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby track400meters1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:54 pm

Here is the main point here.. The main point is he just turned 30..

30 is in no way old at all.. And yes he could be the first person to run 44 seconds at age 38 if he sticks with it.. Look at what felix sanchez did in 2012 at an age of 34... THere are countless examples of other athletes winning olympic medals in their mid 30's....

I think if he keeps up his training this year and does the exact same thing that he did in 2007 that produced his best time then he will come close to running that again this year..

The key is he has to look back at his notes and see what he did 6months prior and leading up to 43.45...And repeat those sequence of events over and over and over and over. And that goes for eating,,, amount of time in between workouts,, reps.. sets...I would suggest that he does everything exactly the same way....
track400meters1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:29 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby track400meters1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:18 pm

Actually when i look at it.. Felix sanchez was basically 35 when he won in 2012.. He turned 35, 3 weeks after winning.... And in the same exact time that he ran in 2004 of 47.63.... So 10 years later after the age of 25... He is out there running the same exact time of 47.63 at the age of 35...

Just goes to show how extremely powerful runners in their 30's can become when they put their mind to it.
track400meters1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:29 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby ATK » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:49 pm

track400meters1 wrote:I think if he keeps up his training this year and does the exact same thing that he did in 2007 that produced his best time then he will come close to running that again this year..

The key is he has to look back at his notes and see what he did 6months prior and leading up to 43.45...And repeat those sequence of events over and over and over and over. And that goes for eating,,, amount of time in between workouts,, reps.. sets...I would suggest that he does everything exactly the same way....

I completely disagree.

He is 30 not 23 anymore. Most people can get away with putting a lot of crap into their bodies at that age and not having a significant negative effect.
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:20 pm

In the 400h you have the possibility of making up in improved execution what you lose in speed. Not the same in the flat 400.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby track400meters1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:09 am

i dont think sanchez lost any speed at all considering he ran 47.63

Thats on par for anywhere from a 44.35 to 44.98 , 400 meter open time.. Which is fast...
Last edited by track400meters1 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
track400meters1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:29 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby track400meters1 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:13 am

Only 18 other people in history other than sanchez, have run the 400 meter hurdles faster than 47.63.
track400meters1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:29 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:01 am

track400meters1 wrote:i dont think sanchez lost any speed at all considering he ran 47.63

Thats on par for anywhere from a 44.35 to 44.98 , 400 meter open time.. Which is fast...


That misses the point entirely. What I was saying was a possibility is that when he was younger he ran 47-mid from speed, when he was older he was able to make up for lost speed by being a better hurdler, being smooth and having his strides come out right over the last three hurdles. Sort of like earlier he had 44.35 speed to run 47-mid and later he had 44.98 speed to run 47-mid.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby gktrack » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 pm

lonewolf wrote:I visited with Clyde Hart at Tyson, he says no.

and... he's entered in this week's 200 at TCU Invitational (same section as Charles Silmon)...
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tcu/sports/c-track/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/HeatsheetsTCU.pdf
gktrack
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby user4 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:30 pm

gktrack wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I visited with Clyde Hart at Tyson, he says no.

and... he's entered in this week's 200 at TCU Invitational (same section as Charles Silmon)...
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tcu/sports/c-track/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/HeatsheetsTCU.pdf


Very interesting.. Jeremy Wariner Unattached... hmm...
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby gktrack » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:21 pm

well, he opened with a windy 20.95 (2.7) today, finishing 10th overall...
gktrack
 
Posts: 1148
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby gh » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:47 pm

user4 wrote:
gktrack wrote:
lonewolf wrote:I visited with Clyde Hart at Tyson, he says no.

and... he's entered in this week's 200 at TCU Invitational (same section as Charles Silmon)...
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tcu/sports/c-track/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/HeatsheetsTCU.pdf


Very interesting.. Jeremy Wariner Unattached... hmm...


90% (maybe 99%) of the time that pros enter a collegiate meet they get tagged as "unattached"; I wouldn't read anything into that quite yet
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby tm71 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:03 pm

trackdug wrote:WTF is with JW?

Didn't run at all after finishing last of all qualifiers at Nationals. No tweets, no news.

Did this guy hang it up?



he has not moved up to the 800 yet or tried the 400h.
seriously JW has had an amazing career at the 400 with four years at the very top and another two years near the top. how many quartermilers have a career more than 5-6 years total. look at olympic champions like watts (retired at 26 after the OT) and lewis (disappeared at age 25) as two good examples of great runners than peaked in their late teens and early 20s. i think this is the nature of this event. MJ and butch were the exceptions. now the 400 h is another story with vets like Taylor, Sanchez and other running fast well into their 30s.
tm71
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:01 am

gktrack wrote:well, he opened with a windy 20.95 (2.7) today, finishing 10th overall...

That is .5 behind his best. How variable are 200 races? Is this pretty normal or is this a sign of decline?
Dave
 
Posts: 2125
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby Sasuke » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:19 am

Last year his opener was even worse (21.39 with +1 wind). Unfortunately, two years ago his second race (in March) was a much stronger 20.58 (regular wind). But he broke 45 only once in the season and it was 44.96; he is done as a quartermiler. He could try the 800m; they worked well for Brandon Johnson.
Sasuke
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby ATK » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:43 am

Sasuke wrote:Last year his opener was even worse (21.39 with +1 wind). Unfortunately, two years ago his second race (in March) was a much stronger 20.58 (regular wind). But he broke 45 only once in the season and it was 44.96; he is done as a quartermiler. He could try the 800m; they worked well for Brandon Johnson.

Brandon Johnson in the 400h going to the 800 is not even comparable to Wariner in the 400 going to 800. Wariner was pounding his body against the top competition while Johnson was not.
ATK
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby br » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:44 am

Dave wrote:That is .5 behind his best. How variable are 200 races? Is this pretty normal or is this a sign of decline?


Personal best is 20.19 from 2006.
br
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Did Jeremy Wariner retire?

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:33 am

I really don't understand this thing with Jeremy Wariner and the 800m, I think it mostly has to do with the color of his skin, because he was arguably better in the 200 in high school than he was in the 400. He has never shown anything that suggests that he'd improve after a move up in distance. It would look roughly the same as Alan Webb's decision in 2013 to move up to the longer distances.
Last edited by JumboElliott on Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
JumboElliott
 
Posts: 2142
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 am

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], jjimbojames, Per Andersen and 5 guests