a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: a NON-Mary Cain Mary Cain thread

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 am

Has any one considered that Mary Cain may want to graduate early (Dec., 2013), and do a semester of college athletics, in a non-championship year.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby KevinM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:33 pm

aaronk wrote:Just curious, but does her 4.2 GPA and elite athlete status give Ms Cain special dispensation to miss chunks of classroom time at Bronxville HS??

I wasn't a star athlete, and my GPA was about HALF what Ms Cain's is, but JEEZ!!!!......if I was just LATE to class ONCE, I was threatened with all sorts of punishments!!

What gives, Mary??

Or more accurately, what gives, Bronxvulle HS Administrators????

ADD:
I got more to add to this little rant!!
Why did she fly all the way across the country (at her parent's expense!!!)....and not race?????

Is!!!

It!!!!

Possible!!!

She!!!!

Was!!!

On!!!

a

Recruiting!!!

Trip????!??????

(and why is any of this your damn business?)
KevinM

Postby bruce3404 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:45 pm

KevinM wrote:

Is!!!

It!!!!

Possible!!!

She!!!!

Was!!!

On!!!

a

Recruiting!!!

Trip????!??????

It sure looked like it; assuming it's the same sort of thing they do with basketball and football players....show 'em around, take 'em to a meet, let them meet some potential team mates. She seemed to be having a good time, whatever the reason for her attendance.
bruce3404

Postby aaronk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:07 pm

According to a Tweet by Chris Nickinson, it WAS a recruiting trip!!
Hmmmmmm!
aaronk

Postby tandfman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:35 pm

You mean Oregon is recruiting Mary Cain? I'm shocked, shocked!!!! :)
tandfman

Postby aaronk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Well, after she shatters EVERY Collegiate Record, indoors from 800 to 5000, and outdoors from 800 to 10000....what will she do her SOPHOMORE year?? :P
aaronk

Postby KevinM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:52 pm

aaronk wrote:According to a Tweet by Chris Nickinson, it WAS a recruiting trip!!
Hmmmmmm!

This is your response to learning this information? Not, "man, did I come off like a crazed jackass in that last post"?
KevinM

Postby KevinM » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:54 pm

bruce3404 wrote:; assuming it's the same sort of thing they do with basketball and football players....show 'em around, take 'em to a meet, let them meet some potential team mates.

Yes - same deal, with comparatively fewer thrills. It's something a few thousand kids per weekend will be doing nationwide each weekend from now through late winter. Unless the parameters have changed recently, each kid gets expenses-paid to visit up to 5 schools for 48 hours.
KevinM

Postby Daisy » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:52 pm

aaronk wrote:Bottom line: Don't read anything nefarious or headline-making into Mary's little visit to Duck territory.......except for the fact she was playing hooky from her school!!!

I thought you were a fan? And why would any HS care about a 4.2 student missing a few classes?
Last edited by Daisy on Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daisy

Postby Dutra5 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:45 pm

aaronk wrote:
bruce3404 wrote:FWIW, Mary Cain was at the Dellinger X-C meet today in Springfield, OR. She spent the day hanging around with other Duck athletes, some of whom she seemed to know quite well. Read into that what you wish. HS JR Alexa Efraimson shocked the women's field by taking first over a strong group of Washington Huskies, among them Katie Flood.

Just curious, but does her 4.2 GPA and elite athlete status give Ms Cain special dispensation to miss chunks of classroom time at Bronxville HS??

I wasn't a star athlete, and my GPA was about HALF what Ms Cain's is, but JEEZ!!!!......if I was just LATE to class ONCE, I was threatened with all sorts of punishments!!

What gives, Mary??

Or more accurately, what gives, Bronxvulle HS Administrators????

ADD:
I got more to add to this little rant!!
Why did she fly all the way across the country (at her parent's expense!!!)....and not race?????

As for her knowing some UO athletes, it's not surprising.
In London (and I assume Moscow), she was very close with Jordan Hasay, very recent UO graduate!!
I'm sure Jordan introduced her to her former teammates!!
Not to mention, she may have met some of them while at the Pre meet!!
And her coach is Alberto Salazar!
And one of his athletes if former Duck Galen Rupp!!

Bottom line: Don't read anything nefarious or headline-making into Mary's little visit to Duck territory.......except for the fact she was playing hooky from her school!!!

Presuming a recruiting trip....official or otherwise....it's an excused absence which should answer about 95% of the nonsense in this post.
Dutra5

Postby lonewolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:56 pm

This is in the top two non-newsworthy events in forum history. I can't remember what the other one was. :)
lonewolf

Postby bruce3404 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:29 pm

lonewolf wrote:This is in the top two non-newsworthy events in forum history. I can't remember what the other one was. :)

Depends on who you root for :D
bruce3404

Postby lonewolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm

I am not rooting for or against any athlete or school. I understand and do not begrudge Oregon supporters elation at the favorable indicators that Mary Cain is interested in attending Oregon.

It is just that when an elite track HS senior visits an elite track university... where her coach resides... how is this mind-blowing news?

Granted, it is an item of interest to track aficionados but hardly seems worthy of intense surprise/suspense/drama/conjecture/conspiracy/revelation..
Just my opinion..blessings on em all. :)
lonewolf

Postby bruce3404 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:12 pm

lonewolf wrote:
It is just that when an elite track HS senior visits an elite track university... where her coach resides... how is this mind-blowing news?

Agreed. That's why I buried it in this long thread rather than start a new thread because it's not really earth-shaking news, but rather "just news". We got earth-shattering a few months ago when she was holding a toy duck after competing at Nationals in Des Moines :D
bruce3404

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 am

Some of the above responses to my "rant" (see above) are one of the BIG reasons I'm spending more time on Twitter recently than this MB!!
(Another reason is that I'm mostly a TRACK (and field) person, NOT a CC buff, so CC stuff doesn't excite me as much as track does!)

Anyway, I guess I need to explain/clarify something.

My rant about Mary skipping school to go to UO for a recruitment visit was born of naivety!!
I was unfamiliar with the knowledge that recruitable (STAR) athletes are not only PERMITTED to skip school to visit up to 5 colleges, but are actually COMPENSATED for it!!

You see, I was nowhere near star quality (in either sports or the classroom!!), so if I wanted to go to college, and decided to skip school to visit campuses, I would've been termed a TRUANT, and punished accordingly!!

But in actuality, I think my REAL reasons for the rant were the following:

1. I feel COMPETING for a college (even UO, even with Salazar still her main coach, even able to compete in elite meets) would be a HUGE mistake for Mary!! I outlined the pro's and con's of this in my initial post on this thread!

2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)

Anyway, back to Twitter!!
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:45 am

aaronk wrote:
You see, I was nowhere near star quality (in either sports or the classroom!!), so if I wanted to go to college, and decided to skip school to visit campuses, I would've been termed a TRUANT, and punished accordingly!!

College visits are encouraged in today's world so one not need be star quality in either case.

But in actuality, I think my REAL reasons for the rant were the following:

1. I feel COMPETING for a college (even UO, even with Salazar still her main coach, even able to compete in elite meets) would be a HUGE mistake for Mary!! I outlined the pro's and con's of this in my initial post on this thread!

2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)

Anyway, back to Twitter!!

I can't say the REAL reasons make any further sense. .
Dutra5

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:11 pm

aaronk wrote:2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)

Athletes are not allowed to compete on official visits, as the NCAA terms this a "tryout".
Bruce Kritzler

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Bruce Kritzler wrote:
aaronk wrote:2. I was disappointed she traveled cross country (sic!) and didn't jump in the Dellinger race!! (And her not being in top shape right now, I wonder if she could've beaten Alexa Efraimson!!!)

Athletes are not allowed to compete on official visits, as the NCAA terms this a "tryout".

Thanks for the info.
Something else I wasn't aware of, re recruitment rules & regs.
That ain't where my interest lay!! (Lie??? :) )

In fact, if I had to name my LEAST favorite thing T&FN covers, it would be their annual Where They Are Going feature.
About the only part of that I look at closely is the Top Ten schools, where they usually list 4 or 5 star athletes for each school.
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:25 am

A question popped into my mind just now concerning Mary's 2014.

I read the Q&A with Alberto Salazar about Shannon Rowbury joining NOP.
In it, he mentioned Shannon training with Tara Erdmann, Jordan Hasay, and Treniere Moser.
There was no mention of Mary Cain.

Granted, Mary isn't "officially" a member of NOP.
She's not a pro, and may not turn pro for at least another year!
She does most of her training in Bronxville NY, with workouts provided by Salazar, under the local supervision of John Henwood.

So the question that popped into my head after reading the interview was.....
What is Mary Cain's STATUS in the NOP for the 2014 season (at least until she decides on college and/or turning pro)??

In other words, will she continue as is, living and training in NY while finishing HS (in May or early June!), with just a verbal commitment to having Salazar be her coach, but WITHOUT being an "official" member of NOP?

And does she have to be an OFFICIAL member of NOP to be mentioned in interviews like the one about Shannon Rowbury......as someone Rowbury might do some training with?
aaronk

Postby aaronk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:07 am

The question I posed a couple of days ago (see previous post) has been answered......sort of.

MY question came from NOT seeing Mary mentioned (while Tara, Treniere & Jordan were!) in the interview with Salazar about Shannon Rowbury joining NOP.

Well, a RW/RT article on the front page DOES mention Mary.
It says......"Presumably, Mary will train with Moser and Rowbury.......when her schedule permits"!!

She'll be turning 18 and graduating HS right about the same time.
IF......IF she turns pro after the WJC in July, then she'd have the freedom (being 18, and able to make her own decisions) to move west and join NOP......officially!!
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:15 am

Oh GOODIE!!!!!!!!!
Dutra5

Postby aaronk » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 am

Dutra5 wrote:Oh GOODIE!!!!!!!!!

Glad you're happy.
But be careful.
Too much excitement in one day is bad for the heart. :)
aaronk

Postby effable » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:05 pm

She'll have that option, true, but this is a motivated high-achieving student from an academic family in a academically driven community. She is going to college. And fwiw, which is not much, it seems to me she has put too much into her studies to choose a college based on being able to train in Oregon with Salazar. Maybe down the road, not next year. She's headed to one of the Ivies, or possibly Stanford. Turning pro is a separate issue.
effable

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:16 am

News is out....from Salazar.....
NO XC for Cain!
Her running form is being changed.....and she's doing "great".
No speed workouts yet, and doing just 5 miles a day, every day, working on changing her running form.
No word on what her indoor season will look like, but a few weeks ago, an article quoted Salazar as saying it would be "busy".

Can't wait!!
aaronk

Postby DrJay » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:45 pm

Does she have Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, or Captain Crunch for breakfast??
DrJay

Postby aaronk » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:53 pm

DrJay wrote:Does she have Lucky Charms, Fruit Loops, or Captain Crunch for breakfast??

What are you asking me for??
If you really MUST know, call her mom or dad and ask THEM!!

Sheesh!
Celebrity hounds!!
And for a TRACK athlete, no less!! :roll:
aaronk

Postby Gerroferrar » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:28 am

Mary Cain is very talented indeed! :p

She'll focus on 1500, the 800 is going to be too brutal in 2015, too much so for Cain.
This is how I saw the semi-finals in my vision, unfortunately, I can only recall the top 6 of each semi :wink:

Semi 1 semi 2 semi 3
Savinova. Eunice Sum. Semenya
Niyonsaba. Montano Jelimo
Jepkosgei Poistogova Martinez
Meadows Magiso. Akkaoui
Sinclair Hachlaf. Kotulskaya
Wilson Lupu. Matsko

Results were in that order, fastest losers came from first semi.
Gerroferrar

Postby aaronk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 am

Alana Hadley, 16 year old high school runner, has become a professional athlete.
Her father, Mark, announced she accepted the prize money (She finished 4th in the Indy Marathon last week!) and bonuses from her OT qualifying marathon.

Mary Cain, are you listening?
aaronk

Postby 18.99s » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:13 am

aaronk wrote:Alana Hadley, 16 year old high school runner, has become a professional athlete.
Her father, Mark, announced she accepted the prize money (She finished 4th in the Indy Marathon last week!) and bonuses from her OT qualifying marathon.

No she's not listening. Her father is in the 1% and she's still supported by him; she's not enticed by five-figure prizes or contracts that are appealing to the 99%ers.
18.99s

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:24 am

aaronk wrote:Alana Hadley, 16 year old high school runner, has become a professional athlete.

So, to re-address the above posts that say, "She's in high school, so she should be eligible for HSRs," what say you about this?
Marlow

Postby Master Po » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:28 am

18.99s wrote:

No she's not listening. Her father is in the 1% and she's still supported by him; she's not enticed by five-figure prizes or contracts that are appealing to the 99%ers.

^ re Hadley's prize money earned at the Indianapolis marathon this past weekend, I suppose we could call it a "five-figure prize" if we include the two figures to the right of the decimal point. She earned $400 for her 4th place finish.

I wish her well in all her athletics pursuits, and for all I know she'll turn out to be a great one. More important, I hope she turns out to be a happy and healthy one. But -- assuming the information in this thread is accurate -- she has now foregone even the possibility of considering further a collegiate athletics scholarship, or participation in collegiate athletics, for her 2:41:56 & $400 prize. As a HS junior, she seems far enough along in HS to realize what she's foregoing by not participating further in HS athletics. However, in this the Fall of her junior HS year, I question her judgment in knowing enough about collegiate possibilities to make an informed decision about her possible collegiate athletics future.

This is just my $.02, of course, which is $398.98 less than she earned for her run this past weekend. However, this opinion is based on working a lot with young people in this age range (late HS, college), and at this point, even brilliant and mature HS juniors don't have much of an idea about what might be a good thing to do post-HS. So, these options are no longer open for Hadley, and now she's a pro. I wish her success, good health, and happiness. :)
Master Po

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:38 am

Master Po wrote:even brilliant and mature HS juniors don't have much of an idea about what might be a good thing to do post-HS. So, these options are no longer open for Hadley, and now she's a pro.

Gotta agree. Has she not just turned down $100,000 (or more!) in scholarship money?
Marlow

Postby kuha » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:50 am

Marlow wrote:
Master Po wrote:even brilliant and mature HS juniors don't have much of an idea about what might be a good thing to do post-HS. So, these options are no longer open for Hadley, and now she's a pro.

Gotta agree. Has she not just turned down $100,000 (or more!) in scholarship money?

Me too. What an absurd, insane decision for a crappy $400 (plus whatever...).
kuha

Postby gh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:22 am

Nobody gives big scholarship money to marathon runners; no return for the school.

Now if she had any track times of note….
gh

Postby kuha » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:32 am

gh wrote:Nobody gives big scholarship money to marathon runners; no return for the school.

But with $400 as our benchmark, "big" doesn't need to be very "big" at all...
kuha

Postby gh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:41 am

I should have added that I think it was a truly dumb decision on her (or one suspects, her parents') part.

Cutting off options at such a young age for a mess of pottage is ridiculous.
gh

Postby lonewolf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:33 am

I had never heard of Alana Hadley until few days ago. I do not know her family circumstances or academic credentials but am dumbfounded by her/parents decision.
I will personally give her $400 if it is possible for her to return the prize money and regain amateur status.
I can be contacted through this website.
lonewolf

Postby aaronk » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:35 am

gh wrote:Nobody gives big scholarship money to marathon runners; no return for the school.

Now if she had any track times of note….

The only track time I know of for her is the 34:59.38 she ran in 2012 as a frosh!
That's listed in HS Track as #2 in 2012 (behind Cayla Hatton), and 9th performer on the A-T list.
aaronk

Postby gh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:05 am

now if she had any track times of note...
gh

Postby Marlow » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:09 am

gh wrote:now if she had any track times of note...

I'm pretty sure there are coaches out there who see her potential for CC and NCAA 10000. She would have gotten a scholarship from SOMEone.
Marlow

PreviousNext