Risk of spiked water being handed out at Brussels?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Risk of spiked water being handed out at Brussels?

Postby TrackCEO » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:23 pm

At Olathe masters nationals in July, I learned that USADA rules forbid finishers in races under 5K from being handed drinks. Why? Because the water cups or bottles might be spiked with performance enchancers in attempt to trigger a drug positive.

Yes, we're that paranoid at the masters level now.

See my post:
http://masterstrack.com/2013/09/25486/

My question, after watching the Brussells replay today, is: Why aren't IAAF elite meets as paranoid? How can Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce (and other Olympians) be handed water bottles by strangers at the risk of being contaminated?

How do WADA and USADA rules differ? :roll:

Or were Brussels meet organizers flouting the rules and putting elites at risk?

K E N
TrackCEO

Re: Risk of spiked water being handed out at Brussels?

Postby ATK » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:13 pm

Brussles isn't the only meet though. They hand out bottles of water/drinks at tons of DL meets and have been doing so going back to the Golden League, just thinking of some races off the top of my head.

I willing to bet that many, if not most of the athletes don't drink them anyway.
ATK

Postby Flumpy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:41 pm

In Moscow athletes in the mixed zone are were handed bottles of water as a matter of course. The majority were drunk.

I've always thought this was a potential cause for concern. Having said that I can't imagine anyone drinking one was it was already opened. It would also be extremely difficult to target someone specifically.

I remember being really impressed with Bryan Clay at the WIC's in Budapest (2004?). He bought a drink from one of the concession stands and the woman behind the counter opened it as started pouring it into a cup. He insisted that she start again and let him open the bottle himself.

All athletes should be this careful.
Flumpy

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Flumpy wrote:In Moscow athletes in the mixed zone are were handed bottles of water as a matter of course. The majority were drunk.

Ah, yes . . . on 'water' . . . :P
Marlow

Postby uakari » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:06 pm

just read that gasquet, the tennis player, had been suspended for testing + for cocaine. he said that he got it from kissing a woman that had it. is that possible?
uakari

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:13 pm

uakari wrote:just read that gasquet, the tennis player, had been suspended for testing + for cocaine. he said that he got it from kissing a woman that had it. is that possible?

Of course, his nose inhales it right out of hers! :D
Marlow

Postby Flumpy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:36 pm

uakari wrote:just read that gasquet, the tennis player, had been suspended for testing + for cocaine. he said that he got it from kissing a woman that had it. is that possible?

People always try stupid excuses like this which nobody remotely believes.

Why doesn't he just say. I went out for the night and had a few lines of coke. It's far less humiliating than sounding like a complete idiot.
Flumpy

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:49 pm

Is it legit to have water in a race under 5000m?
26mi235

Postby rabalac » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:22 am

I've always wondered that very same thing whenever I see this happening. I suspect the real high profile athletes (Bolt's SAFP's.....) would have it drilled into their subconciousness that they should not accept a water bottle (even an UN-OPENED one) under any scenario.

Course when you're tired and thirsty, a cold bottle of "anything" looks mighty tempting. I think Ben Johnson may have been the first one to invoke the "laced water bottle" excuse among the many that he invoked before he realised that no one was buying his excuses.
rabalac