¶2013 Brussels DL—w1500: Aregawi 4:05.41


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

¶2013 Brussels DL—w1500: Aregawi 4:05.41

Postby betterthanb4 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am

Order Athlete Nation PB SB

1-1 HILALI Siham MAR 4:01.33 4:02.16
1-2 ROWBURY Shannon USA 4:00.33 4:01.28
1-3 BELETE Almenesh BEL 4:06.87 4:12.33
1-4 KUIJKEN Susan NED 4:05.38 4:05.38
1-5 ANDERSON Gabriele USA 4:01.48 4:01.48
1-6 ENGLAND Hannah GBR 4:01.89 4:03.38
1-7 CHERONO Mercy KEN 4:02.31 4:06.30
1-8 OBIRI Hellen KEN 3:58.58 3:58.58
1-9 HASSAN Sifan ETH 4:03.73 4:03.73
1-10 SIMPSON Jenny USA 3:59.90 4:00.48
2-1 PLIS Renata POL 4:03.50 4:06.39
2-2 AREGAWI Abeba SWE 3:56.54 3:56.60 20 Pts
2-3 BUCKMAN Zoe AUS 4:04.82 4:04.82
2-4 WRIGHT Phoebe USA 4:08.60
2-5 SHARMINA Yekaterina RUS 3:59.49 4:04.55
2-6 KURIA Mary KEN 4:03.18 4:03.56
betterthanb4
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby Bob Duncan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:58 pm

I just want to GO HOME EARLY tomorrow and watch this thing live on whatever sorry ass Internet connection that I can get! :twisted:
Bob Duncan
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby aaronk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:41 am

Phoebe Wright has indicated via Twitter that she's going to pace a 2:06!!!
IF that's true, that's about 3:56 pace for 1500!!!!!

PLEASE let it be true!!
And PLEASE let Jenny and Co follow that pace!!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby croflash » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 am

3:56 as a target at the end of the season seems pretty unrealistic to me.
croflash
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:29 am
Location: Germany

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby Sasuke » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:52 am

croflash wrote:3:56 as a target at the end of the season seems pretty unrealistic to me.


I have to agree... also because Aregawi, who I believe is the only one capable to do it, looked completely unrecognizable when she was running the 800m in Stockholm. Moreover, she seems to care only about winning, not running fast times (like Kiprop) so the race won't be won in less than 4.00.00
Sasuke
 
Posts: 278
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:32 am

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby betterthanb4 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:29 am

Messy race here. A couple trips/falls.
betterthanb4
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 am

aaronk wrote:Phoebe Wright has indicated via Twitter that she's going to pace a 2:06!!!
IF that's true, that's about 3:56 pace for 1500!!!!!

PLEASE let it be true!!
And PLEASE let Jenny and Co follow that pace!!!

Turned out not to be at all true, unfortunately. (Well, it may be true that that was the intention, but it didn't happen.)
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby gh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:38 am

1 AREGAWI Abeba SWE 5 JUL 1990 15 4:05.41 28 1
2 CHERONO Mercy KEN 7 MAY 1991 4 4:05.82 SB 4 4
3 OBIRI Hellen KEN 13 DEC 1989 13 4:06.92 6 2
4 ROWBURY Shannon USA 14 SEP 1984 10 4:07.05
5 ENGLAND Hannah GBR 6 MAR 1987 12 4:08.31
6 KIBIWOT Viola Jelagat KEN 22 DEC 1983 9 4:08.62
7 SHARMINA Yekaterina RUS 6 AUG 1986 8 4:08.96 1 6
8 HILALI Siham MAR 2 MAY 1986 1 4:09.04 1 6
9 HASSAN Sifan ETH 1993 5 4:10.54 2 5
10 SIMPSON Jenny USA 23 AUG 1986 14 4:10.70 5 3
11 KUIJKEN Susan NED 8 JUL 1986 11 4:11.33
12 ANDERSON Gabriele USA 25 JUN 1986 3 4:16.20
13 BELETE Almenesh BEL 26 JUL 1989 2 4:17.18
BUCKMAN Zoe AUS 21 DEC 1988 7 DNF
KURIA Mary (PM) KEN 29 NOV 1987 17 DNF
PLIS Renata POL 5 FEB 1985 6 DNF
WRIGHT Phoebe (PM) USA 30 AUG 1988 16 DNF

Intermediate times: 400m 1:04.45 WRIGHT Phoebe (USA)
800m 2:13.79 WRIGHT Phoebe (USA)
1200m 3:21.10 AREGAWI Abeba (SWE)
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: ¶2013 Brussels DL—w1500: Aregawi 4:05.41

Postby aaronk » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:12 pm

Quite a memorable race!
Too bad it will be remembered for its 20-car pile-up instead of for the running!!
When Jenny fell on top of (???), and then everybody else fell, it kinda reminded me of a football tackle.......when after the guy is tackled, the rest of the team piles on!!

Makes Morgan Uceny's falls seem like kindergarten stuff!!

Okay, sorry.
Was trying to see some humor in an ultimately tragic situation!!
Now we can spend the winter analyzing how and why it happened!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3364
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: ¶2013 Brussels DL—w1500: Aregawi 4:05.41

Postby betterthanb4 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:45 pm

betterthanb4
 
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:21 pm

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby Alan Shank » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:54 pm

gh wrote:Intermediate times: 400m 1:04.45 WRIGHT Phoebe (USA)
800m 2:13.79 WRIGHT Phoebe (USA)
1200m 3:21.10 AREGAWI Abeba (SWE)


What a joke! I'm going to run 2:06!
The bigger joke is, they didn't even go with her at 2:14!
So, was it all bullshit in the first place, or is Wright a horrible pacemaker?
And why would Aregawi request a fast pace when she had no intention of following it?

In any case, they were going so slow that there was an excellent chance that somebody would go down. I don't think I've ever seen that many casualties in a 1500. Simpson did well to get up an finish in 4:10.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby odelltrclan » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Alan Shank wrote:
gh wrote:Intermediate times: 400m 1:04.45 WRIGHT Phoebe (USA)
800m 2:13.79 WRIGHT Phoebe (USA)
1200m 3:21.10 AREGAWI Abeba (SWE)


What a joke! I'm going to run 2:06!
The bigger joke is, they didn't even go with her at 2:14!
So, was it all bullshit in the first place, or is Wright a horrible pacemaker?
And why would Aregawi request a fast pace when she had no intention of following it?

Cheers,
Alan Shank


You can't win for losing sometimes. The announcers were criticizing Phoebe Wright for no good reason. She went out at 63 pace it looked, saw that the runners were too far behind her and slowed down so they could catch her (something the announcers have said the pacemaker should do in such a situation). But they would not follow the pace. It was not her fault. She did everything she could do. The athletes just did not care. It was their fault.
odelltrclan
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:30 pm

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby gh » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Alan Shank wrote:[...
And why would Aregawi request a fast pace when she had no intention of following it?...


do we know for a fact that Aregawi requested it?
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby jla » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Alan Shank wrote:What a joke! I'm going to run 2:06!
The bigger joke is, they didn't even go with her at 2:14!
So, was it all bullshit in the first place, or is Wright a horrible pacemaker?
And why would Aregawi request a fast pace when she had no intention of following it?

Who said Aregawi had requested that kind of pace?
Tired from a long season - and having another race coming up on Sunday - her only aim was to stay undefeated. She never had any intention of going for a fast time.
It was for the others to use a fast pace to try to take advantage of her tiredness.
jla
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: ¶2013 Brussels DL—w1500: Aregawi 4:05.41

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:52 pm

No one else would have requested that pace, had to be her.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby Alan Shank » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:45 pm

gh wrote:
Alan Shank wrote:[...
And why would Aregawi request a fast pace when she had no intention of following it?...


do we know for a fact that Aregawi requested it?


According to Hutchings/Storey, at the meeting of the commentators with the meet director, the "MD" told them that Aregawi asked for 2:06 instead of the proposed 2:08. They both expressed preplexity, if there really is such a word, over how it turned out.

Cheers,
Alan Shank
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: ¶2013 Brussels DL—w1500: Aregawi 4:05.41

Postby lonewolf » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:05 pm

Curious thing.????
I was watching meet on Watchathletics.com with non-English speaking commentator, lost feed just at w1500 started.. by the time I got it back the race was just finishing with Peter Matthews as commentator..and for remainder of broadcast...??? how did that happen??
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby Walt Murphy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:55 am

Alan Shank wrote: I don't think I've ever seen that many casualties in a 1500. Simpson did well to get up an finish in 4:10.
Cheers,
Alan Shank


2005 Prefontaine--Paula Radcliffe was one of half-a-dozen(?) runners who went down in a similar situation in a crowded field(18!)
Walt Murphy
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby jla » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:31 pm

Alan Shank wrote:According to Hutchings/Storey, at the meeting of the commentators with the meet director, the "MD" told them that Aregawi asked for 2:06 instead of the proposed 2:08. They both expressed preplexity, if there really is such a word, over how it turned out.

Aregawi had had a long year where she had accomplished everything: Indoors European gold and almost WR, outdoors WL, DL title and World Champion.
Anyone who saw Aregawi in Stockholm would know that she was nowhere near the kind of physical or mental form necessary to go chasing 3:56 at this stage of the season. Especially if that would mean risking her win streak dating back more than a year.
She was in Brussels to race, not to try for a new PB/WL.
Of course every MD wants record times at his meet but that does not necessarily mean that the athletes themselves really have such ambitions. In Brussels you could see the same pattern (the pacemakers running away right from the start) in just about every middle/long distance race.
Only clear exception was the 800m where Aman certainly was "a man on a mission" (to make his 2013 complete by getting the WL mark that he had barely missed a couple of times). But for Aregawi 2013 was already complete.
So absolutely no need for perplexity concerning how the race turned out.
jla
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby jlt » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:32 pm

jla wrote:
Alan Shank wrote:What a joke! I'm going to run 2:06!
The bigger joke is, they didn't even go with her at 2:14!
So, was it all bullshit in the first place, or is Wright a horrible pacemaker?
And why would Aregawi request a fast pace when she had no intention of following it?

Who said Aregawi had requested that kind of pace?
Tired from a long season - and having another race coming up on Sunday - her only aim was to stay undefeated. She never had any intention of going for a fast time.
It was for the others to use a fast pace to try to take advantage of her tiredness.

No it's not as simple as that......if the planned pace is 2:08 and then your representative says to the organiser "no that's not fast enough she really wants (and is ready) to run 3:56 so please we want 2:06 not 2:08" then to do otherwise so obviously you are just screwing with the race and ****ing everything up. If you're just intending to win just go along with the 2:08 and do your own thing.

But Aragawi is a bit of a farce, the citizenship thing is ridiculous (she and her husband are effectively resident in Ethiopia and apparently she pays no taxes in Sweden as she claims to be non-resident). There is no great regard for her in Sweden (you reckon they feel she is using them?), her fellow Swedish team members have little regard for her......and if she continues pulling stunts like Brussels she'll be universally disliked.
jlt
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby Alan Shank » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:17 pm

jla wrote:
Alan Shank wrote:According to Hutchings/Storey, at the meeting of the commentators with the meet director, the "MD" told them that Aregawi asked for 2:06 instead of the proposed 2:08. They both expressed preplexity, if there really is such a word, over how it turned out.

Aregawi had had a long year where she had accomplished everything: Indoors European gold and almost WR, outdoors WL, DL title and World Champion.
Anyone who saw Aregawi in Stockholm would know that she was nowhere near the kind of physical or mental form necessary to go chasing 3:56 at this stage of the season. Especially if that would mean risking her win streak dating back more than a year.
She was in Brussels to race, not to try for a new PB/WL.
Of course every MD wants record times at his meet but that does not necessarily mean that the athletes themselves really have such ambitions. In Brussels you could see the same pattern (the pacemakers running away right from the start) in just about every middle/long distance race.
Only clear exception was the 800m where Aman certainly was "a man on a mission" (to make his 2013 complete by getting the WL mark that he had barely missed a couple of times). But for Aregawi 2013 was already complete.
So absolutely no need for perplexity concerning how the race turned out.


You seem to be ignoring the fact that, according to Hutchings, it was Aregawi herself, or her manager, that insisted on a faster pace. I agree with you that it seems unlikely that she would want to try for a very fast time, which is exactly what makes the situation perplexing, IMO. Of course, that is based on the assumption that Hutchings' report is accurate. Who knows?
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: 2013 Van Damme (Brussels)DL-W 1500m

Postby KevinM » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:53 pm

jlt wrote:But Aragawi is a bit of a farce, the citizenship thing is ridiculous (she and her husband are effectively resident in Ethiopia and apparently she pays no taxes in Sweden as she claims to be non-resident). There is no great regard for her in Sweden (you reckon they feel she is using them?), her fellow Swedish team members have little regard for her......and if she continues pulling stunts like Brussels she'll be universally disliked.


Really? From Lagat's manger?
KevinM
 
Posts: 2652
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: ¶2013 Brussels DL—w1500: Aregawi 4:05.41

Postby TimH » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Gents, Tim Hutchings here. I can assure you that the report from Brussels MD Wilfried Meert is correct; he told us on friday morning that Aregawi specifically requested 2:06 pace and that the planned 2:08 pace was too slow. I actually think, as she clearly had no intention of going out at 63/lap tempo, that she was dishonest and deceptive by allowing that misinformation - that she planned to chase a fast time - to be circulated. As the "best" in the field, she was in a privileged position in that she could request a certain type of race, knowing that the MD would take that request seriously and act upon it. That then created an expectation on the part of the other athletes who, because she had specifically put in the request, had been given information that was misleading and in effect, a lie. Sure, it's a race that then unfolds and they all have to react to it as it ACTUALLY unfolds, but that would be the case without Aregawi's involvement - and for the "'Swede" to do what she did on friday is at best unsporting. No two ways about it, she deceived the opposition before the race was run and that is not acceptable. Only exception to this might be if she felt in closer to the race and had to back of the plans we were told about at 11am that day, but we've heard nothing along those lines.
TimH
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:57 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bruce Kritzler, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, jjimbojames and 9 guests