¶2013 Brussels DL—non-DL m100: Bolt 9.80

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: ¶2013 Brussels DL—non-DL m100: Bolt 9.80

Postby shivfan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:22 am

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

Tyson Gay's career could possibly be over, after his hearing...we'll see. But it's pointless talking about how "lucky" Bolt is that Gay's not around, since we all know the circumstances surrounding Gay's omission. "Luck" had nothing to do with Gay being out of action....

As for Blake, we can only wait and see if he's the same sprinter when he comes back next year. it's far from certain that Blake will automatically become a 9.7 sprinter on his return....

It is interesting that, despite his scoliosis, Bolt has done a better job of managing his injuries than either Gay or Blake. That is part of what makes a great champion...managing your body, not pushing it to levels where you're injury-prone.

In his interview with the BBC, Bolt had a laugh about his appalling reaction time. The fact is that he doesn't have to try to jump the gun to beat this field. After his DQ in that final two years ago, Glen Mills had told Bolt to sit in the blocks and don't try to get the fastest start, because he has the ability of overhaul his opposition in the last half of the race.

That's why we're seeing more slow starts in Bolt's 100m races these days, and guess what...he still wins in 9.80!
shivfan

Postby Dixon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:12 am

shivfan wrote:Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

Tyson Gay's career could possibly be over, after his hearing...we'll see. But it's pointless talking about how "lucky" Bolt is that Gay's not around, since we all know the circumstances surrounding Gay's omission. "Luck" had nothing to do with Gay being out of action....

As for Blake, we can only wait and see if he's the same sprinter when he comes back next year. it's far from certain that Blake will automatically become a 9.7 sprinter on his return....

It is interesting that, despite his scoliosis, Bolt has done a better job of managing his injuries than either Gay or Blake. That is part of what makes a great champion...managing your body, not pushing it to levels where you're injury-prone.

In his interview with the BBC, Bolt had a laugh about his appalling reaction time. The fact is that he doesn't have to try to jump the gun to beat this field. After his DQ in that final two years ago, Glen Mills had told Bolt to sit in the blocks and don't try to get the fastest start, because he has the ability of overhaul his opposition in the last half of the race.

That's why we're seeing more slow starts in Bolt's 100m races these days, and guess what...he still wins in 9.80!

You're missing the point. This is a 9.58/19.19 guy here. What I'm saying and a few others is that..THAT...sprinter is gone. Those WR setting days a memory. Nobody is saying he can't beat the current gang of sprinters out there right now. And it did help him that 2012's second, fourth, fifth and sixth ranked sprinters weren't around to challenge him. We'll see a guy trying to play it safe from now on.

Where he used to daze n' amaze he'll now do just enought to win.
Dixon

Postby The Flying Pigdog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:20 am

He got lucky that Tyson wasn't there? Please. I love Tyson as much as the next guy, but he was busted for PEDs, a steroid reportedly. Yeah, Bolt is very lucky that a guy caught cheating wasn't there... :roll:

Blake - is a different story. I think Bolt goes at it harder if he knows Blake is running. He knew he wasn't in WR shape but he didn't need to be. It will be tough for him to approach his 100m WR, but he's still the best. By a lot.
The Flying Pigdog

Postby dustoff » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:10 am

The Flying Pigdog wrote:He got lucky that Tyson wasn't there? Please. I love Tyson as much as the next guy, but he was busted for PEDs, a steroid reportedly. Yeah, Bolt is very lucky that a guy caught cheating wasn't there... :roll:

Blake - is a different story. I think Bolt goes at it harder if he knows Blake is running. He knew he wasn't in WR shape but he didn't need to be. It will be tough for him to approach his 100m WR, but he's still the best. By a lot.

I'll be sure to bookmark this thread & post and revisit in the coming years.
dustoff

Postby shivfan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:28 am

Dixon wrote:
shivfan wrote:Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

You're missing the point. This is a 9.58/19.19 guy here. What I'm saying and a few others is that..THAT...sprinter is gone. Those WR setting days a memory. Nobody is saying he can't beat the current gang of sprinters out there right now. And it did help him that 2012's second, fourth, fifth and sixth ranked sprinters weren't around to challenge him. We'll see a guy trying to play it safe from now on.

Where he used to daze n' amaze he'll now do just enought to win.

I agree with you that he probably won't run 9.58 again, but I do think that if he gets everything right, he could come close to 19.19 before he eventually calls it a day....

Nothing wrong with playing it safe when there's no one around the challenge him. He came away with three gold medals again in 2013. It's up to the next group of upcoming sprinters to throw down the gauntlet, and challenge Bolt in 2014...let's see if that happens.
shivfan

Postby DJG » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:32 am

My Observations:

Bolt's start: Not bad by any means in comparison with this field, Vicaut (ln 2) and Bailey-Cole (ln3) had bad starts. Collins in lane 1 had the lead at 10 meters, it appeared to me from the YouTube video. Bolt has moved his hands in closer, it seems to me, than he used to have them, his hips are higher and his front knee angle is greater than it used to be. (He also appears 6-8 lbs heavier, but that is another issue). With the higher hip placement he looks to be leaning out more in the set position, which I think hurts his power production a little. If Bolt looks back at film from two or three years ago, I think he sees some changes that have not proven beneficial.
Still in this race he had a good start.

Future: When I hard Bolt mention World Records I imagine some TV PR guy or meet manager holding up a cue card telling him to mention World Record. Whether he really believes he can run low 19's again, I have no idea, but that those with vested interest in him want him to say so, of that I have no doubts. I hope Bolt can stay healthy thru Rio.

As for Blake, I think Bolt missed him as much, if not more, as a training partner than as a competitor. I hope Blake recovers completely and keeps Bolt motivated.
DJG

Postby jamboy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:03 am

JumboElliott wrote:Can we stop saying that Bolt "had a bad start" because he really didn't by his standards. He's never going to be explosive out of the blocks.

Bolt has had decent starts in the past. His coach has said repeatedly since Berlin that they are not "too worried" about his starts since they are very confident in his finish and his titles over the years since then proves that.

Mens 100m WR race in Berlin in 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By1JQFxfLMM
jamboy

Postby The Flying Pigdog » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:24 am

dustoff wrote:
I'll be sure to bookmark this thread & post and revisit in the coming years.

I see what you're implying there. Maybe, maybe not. All we can go by right now are what the facts state. Anyone can look pretty awesome by speaking in hindsight terms.
The Flying Pigdog