If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you include


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you include

Postby athleticshushmail » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 am

Imagine that you had you're very own track and field meet and wanted to maximize entertainment value, while limiting the meet to 2 hours or less. What events would you include? I didn't want to put this in Current Events, though I know its not exactly historical.
athleticshushmail
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:22 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:26 am

Oooooh, good question.

First of all, the Mile (yes, the mile) is the farthest event run! You can fit the other regular events in 2 hours easily, so:

110H
400
4x100
800
200
400H
100
Mile

We'll have all the field events (!!!) cuz I want the 3-ring circus effect. The HT/JT will have to be in a field behind the grandstand, throwing from the middle out, in opposite directions, so interested fans can stand at the top and watch those too.

The only thing you need to make this successful is a good meet program and a good, clear, audible stadium announcer.
Marlow
 
Posts: 21084
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby gh » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:48 am

athleticshushmail wrote:Imagine that you had you're very own track and field meet and wanted to maximize entertainment value, while limiting the meet to 2 hours or less. What events would you include? I didn't want to put this in Current Events, though I know its not exactly historical.


why not? You do realize that a (very) significant portion of the viewership never comes to this forum, right?
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby bushop » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:37 am

Marlow wrote:Oooooh, good question.
First of all, the Mile (yes, the mile) is the farthest event run! You can fit the other regular events in 2 hours easily, so:
.

If you had a 10-lane track could you run the assigned-laned events in the outside lanes while running the mile and maybe a 5k in the inside two lanes?
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:41 am

bushop wrote:If you had a 10-lane track could you run the assigned-laned events in the outside lanes while running the mile and maybe a 5k in the inside two lanes?

Brilliant! Why stop at two simultaneous races?
Run the 100 down the center of the infield as the 400 is contested in the first 6 lanes and the Mile is in the outside 2 lanes!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21084
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby dbirds » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 am

just make sure finishes are staggered. Maybe start 100 2 min after 5k starts and 200 or 400 2 min after 10k starts
dbirds
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:54 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby aaronk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 am

A 2 hour meet??
On the infield, the PV, HJ, and SP.
On the track, basically repeat what they did at PTF or Oxy!!

Oh, and I'd have a TWO mile too!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3351
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby smc » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm

Marathon on a track. :wink:
smc
 
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby Marlow » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:58 pm

smc wrote:Marathon on a track. :wink:

The highest paid official for that meet is the lap counter (over 100 for each runner, as they all lap each other).
Marlow
 
Posts: 21084
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby kuha » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I'd go for a 2 hour RECORD BREAKING EXTRAVAGANZA:

All in YARDS:

75

125

300

500

600

1320

1.5 mile

3 mile

A handicap 100y

Devil take the hindmost half mile, with 10 starters and last place eliminated at every 110y mark

And on the field:

standing LJ

the double jump (frugal version of TJ)

HJ, with total height as sum of 3 styles: scissors, straddle, and flop

shot and disc: right and left hand attempts, added together

javelin for accuracy (1 yard circle 200 feet out)
kuha
 
Posts: 9016
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: 3rd row, on the finish line

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby Vielleicht » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm

The marathon is a damn good idea, though I'm afraid you'll have to use the old distance of 40km in order to put the whole race into 2 hours. Incidentally, is this distance still contested? Anywhere in the world where an official marathon is still run at that?
Vielleicht
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:11 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby Dixon » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 pm

NFL's Fastest Man

NCAA 4X2

Jamaica vs the World

4x1
4x2
4x4

World class

100
200
400
110
800
mile

While all that is going on

long jump
shot put
high jump
Dixon
 
Posts: 1339
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:35 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby MJR » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:25 am

Vielleicht wrote:The marathon is a damn good idea, though I'm afraid you'll have to use the old distance of 40km in order to put the whole race into 2 hours. Incidentally, is this distance still contested? Anywhere in the world where an official marathon is still run at that?


Only one I know of is the 40km RW Champs held in NJ by Elliott Denman.
MJR
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: on walkabout....

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:30 pm

MJR wrote:
Vielleicht wrote:The marathon is a damn good idea, though I'm afraid you'll have to use the old distance of 40km in order to put the whole race into 2 hours. Incidentally, is this distance still contested? Anywhere in the world where an official marathon is still run at that?

Only one I know of is the 40km RW Champs held in NJ by Elliott Denman.

You couldn't possibly do a 40km Walk in less than 2 hours.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby tandfman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 pm

The original question mentioned maximizing entertainment value. If that's a criterion (and it should be), the pole vault is essential.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby lonewolf » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:23 pm

tandfman wrote:The original question mentioned maximizing entertainment value. If that's a criterion (and it should be), the pole vault is essential.

I agree..but can you guarantee a finish in two hours?
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8814
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:40 am

The Ohio HSchampionships take 2hrs15min to run this schedule:
100/110H
100m
4x200
1600m
4x100
400m
300H
800m
200m
3200m
4x400

I'd figure out a way to trim 15min, starting with the 4x200.
Mighty Favog
 
Posts: 1786
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby gh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:12 am

by definition (because it has to fit a 2-hour TV window), all the Diamond League meets fit their running events into a 2-hour window.

This was Brussels Friday:

20:04 400m Hurdles Men
20:13 100m Women
20:20 200m Men
20:26 3000m Steeple Women
20:28 Triple Jump Men
20:30 Javelin Throw Men
20:45 100m Men
20:55 400m Women
21:03 800m Men
21:15 100m Hurdles Women
21:21 1500m Women
21:30 5000m Men
21:50 400m Men

the bulk of the HJ and PV also fall in that window, starting 20 and 30 minutes earlier (the other 3 field events are pretty much SOL)
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby tandfman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:37 am

lonewolf wrote:
tandfman wrote:The original question mentioned maximizing entertainment value. If that's a criterion (and it should be), the pole vault is essential.

I agree..but can you guarantee a finish in two hours?

I think you can, if you limit the number of vaulters.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby gh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:44 am

problem is, the DL people get verrrry upset if you have a field event that hasn't concluded inside their TV window, so in this specific instance, I think you'll find everybody plays it safe and starts the PV outside the window.
gh
 
Posts: 46322
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby tandfman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 am

Mighty Favog wrote:The Ohio HSchampionships take 2hrs15min to run this schedule:
100/110H
100m
4x200
1600m
4x100
400m
300H
800m
200m
3200m
4x400

I'd figure out a way to trim 15min, starting with the 4x200.

No field events?
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby fasttrak85 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:04 am

Id include every sprint from 100- 400 and both hurdles for men and women and whatever else could fit i wouldnt care.
fasttrak85
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:55 am

Re: If you held a 2 hour T&F meet, what events would you inc

Postby norunner » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:42 pm

lonewolf wrote:
tandfman wrote:The original question mentioned maximizing entertainment value. If that's a criterion (and it should be), the pole vault is essential.

I agree..but can you guarantee a finish in two hours?
Well if you want max entertainment, do something original. Each vaulter gets six attempts, the height of each attempt is measured by photo sensors, and obviously the guy with the best height wins. Would solve the time issue and guarantee entertainment because every single vault could be the winning one.
norunner
 
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], booond, Dutra5, Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, KDFINE, wamego relays champ and 16 guests