So Bolt is Retiring

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: So Bolt is Retiring

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:39 am

Baseball is few known out USA(perhaps Cuba and few more), but basketball NBA?sorry but no.
Michael Jordan is very known in the world :wink:
ZELLGADISS

Re: So Bolt is Retiring

Postby berkeley » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:28 pm

Jackaloupe wrote:there are probably more cricket fans in the world today than tennis fans?

I suspect y'awl theoreticals are counting total populations of all these over-populated poor countries, whose denizens can hardly sit around for hours watching boring Cricket matches. Nor can they actually play w/ anything more than slabs of wood--which is not to degrade the hard-working, long suffering poor (I was in the first Peace Corps group, in Colombia), only to point out how misleading supposed popularity can be: I'd bet plenty that the % of Pop. who attend Soccer/Futbol matches is much higher than the likes of Cricket--which I doubt many all those so-called Fans actually understand, much less identify with.

You are quite wrong about that. I'm not a cricket fan at all, but from my experience visiting India, almost everyone there is a huge fan and understands the game. The many whose economic circumstances preclude access to TV still watch local games, and all the kids play on dirt patches with rocks and sticks. Their relationship with the game is very much like that with soccer in most other poor regions of the world. It's one of the few accessible distractions from the struggle to survive.
berkeley

Previous