So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Trackrunner » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:09 am

...Diamond League next week Sunday on NBC...not on NBC Sports and not the god forsaken Universal Sports but on the NBC channel itself. And they've ran 2 promos for the Brussels meet in the last 90 minutes with you know who getting top billing but still they're letting people know a track meet is coming up so they need to tune in.

Did hell just freeze over because I saw less promo for the World Championships and I can't recall if they carried Brussels and Zurich on NBC last year though it was probably on one of the 'lesser' channels? Or perhaps Moscow got some ratings so the suits decided to throw a little more air time to track and field.
Trackrunner
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Ned Ryerson » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:18 am

NBC has always shown one hour recaps of the Diamond League finales.
Ned Ryerson
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Halfmiler2 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:28 am

Disappointing that the NBC Sports Channel has not shown more to compliment NBC track & field coverage.
Halfmiler2
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Marlow » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Trackrunner wrote:Did hell just freeze over

No, but I did just double-check Revelations to make sure it wasn't one of the signs of the Apocalypse. :shock:
I would have missed it had I not been checking the cable guide for something else.
There's still a pulse for our fave sport!
Marlow
 
Posts: 21125
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Alan Shank » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:06 am

Ned Ryerson wrote:NBC has always shown one hour recaps of the Diamond League finales.


And "recap" is the operative word. They don't even show the whole 800, just snippets. The commentators are also different from the Universal Sports two-hour version. It's like "Baseball Tonight" highlights, basically. OTOH, it's in HD, which Universal Sports is not, at least not at this time on DirecTV.

BTW, I started watching my many hours of WC coverage on the DVR, which faithfully recorded everything they showed, while I was over there watching it live. It's Peter Matthews, Steve Ovett and another guy whose name I didn't catch yet. All pretty good. They even showed the non-qualified M 100m heats, along with lots of field action and decent DEC coverage. This is going to take me and my wife some time. We were able to spot our group on the screen, barely, guided by the Swedish flag Daniel and Lars hung up behind our seats.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby fourjz » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:33 am

2 hour version coming on Universal Network today 6pm EST. :o
fourjz
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Southern California

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby tm71 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am

Marlow wrote:
Trackrunner wrote:Did hell just freeze over

No, but I did just double-check Revelations to make sure it wasn't one of the signs of the Apocalypse. :shock:
I would have missed it had I not been checking the cable guide for something else.
There's still a pulse for our fave sport!


Funny. USN showed Zurich live last Thursday with story and hitchings doing thr call and the recap show on NBC with Sunderland, ato and Dwight (thank god no Tom) on sunday. The recap show wasn't that bad and even had some field event action the live show didn't. They are doing the same thing for Brussels, live on Friday on USN and recap on Sunday on NBC. Decent way to end season. with only the world indoor and world relay meet next season they isn't going too much on tv besides the DL telecasts on USN.
tm71
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Marlow » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:24 am

tm71 wrote:besides the DL telecasts on USN.

Any chance they will get the S**Ttogether and actually make it available to the working class? :evil:
Marlow
 
Posts: 21125
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Location: Somewhere over the . . . hill

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby tm71 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:34 am

Marlow wrote:
tm71 wrote:besides the DL telecasts on USN.

Any chance they will get the S**Ttogether and actually make it available to the working class? :evil:


it is available on time Warner now. I believe a lot of working people have time Warner including my self.
tm71
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:13 am

Alan Shank wrote:
BTW, I started watching my many hours of WC coverage on the DVR, which faithfully recorded everything they showed, while I was over there watching it live. It's Peter Matthews, Steve Ovett and another guy whose name I didn't catch yet. All pretty good. They even showed the non-qualified M 100m heats, along with lots of field action and decent DEC coverage. This is going to take me and my wife some time. We were able to spot our group on the screen, barely, guided by the Swedish flag Daniel and Lars hung up behind our seats.


Last night, watched the first NBC segment of the WC coverage. Unfortunately, they didn't cover the W MAR on USN, so NBC showed maybe a five-minute spot, with almost no information content at all. Then they showed pieces of the M 10K. The lineup of commentators was Tom Hammond, Ato Boldon, Dwight Stones and Craig Masback, with Lewis Johnson doing "interviews", as usual. Masback was the "expert" for the 10K and was, mostly, horrible. On the plus side, he did give the kilo time and correctly interpreted it, as well as the 5K split (they showed very little of the actual action, of course). On the negative side, he never mentioned Ibrahim Jeylan until about the last 600 meters, although he did mention that Farah was out-kicked in 2011 (but not by whom). I suspect that he didn't even know who Jeylan is until somebody prompted him. He also completely missed the fading away of Dejen Gebremeskel, although he had correctly stated earlier that DG had the fastest time this year. He also never identified the runner who was knocked down when Ritzenhein made his move with about a kilo to go. All in all, pretty useless, certainly compared to Tim Hutchings or Steve Ovett.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby br » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:20 am

tm71 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
tm71 wrote:besides the DL telecasts on USN.

Any chance they will get the S**Ttogether and actually make it available to the working class? :evil:


it is available on time Warner now. I believe a lot of working people have time Warner including my self.

At least where I live in the San Fernando Valley, with TWC you must buy a sports package (20 sports channels, some of which are already included in my current subscription) for an additional *8.99 per month. No thanks.
br
 
Posts: 478
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Halfmiler2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:20 pm

fourjz wrote:2 hour version coming on Universal Network today 6pm EST. :o


NBC Sports Channel has much wider cable distribution than Universal Sports. It is a shame.
Halfmiler2
 
Posts: 1641
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby tm71 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:19 am

br wrote:
tm71 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
tm71 wrote:besides the DL telecasts on USN.

Any chance they will get the S**Ttogether and actually make it available to the working class? :evil:


it is available on time Warner now. I believe a lot of working people have time Warner including my self.

At least where I live in the San Fernando Valley, with TWC you must buy a sports package (20 sports channels, some of which are already included in my current subscription) for an additional *8.99 per month. No thanks.


Same thing here in Redlands. I got that package since those are the channels I watch the most. I recently told a TWC rep that the only channels I would rather keep on my lineup would be the ones on the sport package and the few channels my kids watch when they are with me.
tm71
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby Pego » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:36 am

A question about TV ratings (obviously rhetorical and sarcastic).

"What chance does a program of highlights of a track meet from three days earlier have going straight up against the first round NFL games?"
Pego
 
Posts: 10203
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: beyond help

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby gh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:35 am

during the America's Cup Saturday afternoon (which, as I posted on another thread, had CGI to make you drool, and shows how with money track could actually be made televisable), they had a breathless teaser along the lines of, "Can Usain Bolt continue as the world's fastest human? See the Brussels Diamond League on NBC tomorrow!"
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: So NBC just showed Zurich meet and will show Brussels...

Postby donley2 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:20 pm

br wrote:
tm71 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
tm71 wrote:besides the DL telecasts on USN.

Any chance they will get the S**Ttogether and actually make it available to the working class? :evil:


it is available on time Warner now. I believe a lot of working people have time Warner including my self.

At least where I live in the San Fernando Valley, with TWC you must buy a sports package (20 sports channels, some of which are already included in my current subscription) for an additional *8.99 per month. No thanks.


Please don't take this the wrong way, but any advertiser or sport management probably is not interested in having fans that are not willing to even spend 9 bucks a month on there sport.
donley2
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bobguild76, Google [Bot], mt and 20 guests