What does the future hold for Allyson Felix?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

What does the future hold for Allyson Felix?

Postby fasttrak85 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:16 am

It just seems the universe has a way of maintaining equilibrium. Allyson was on her way to become the most decorated world champion ever with 9 gold medals(had she won) beating out the like of Carl Lewis. It would have been too good and too sweet so the universe shut it down. This setback has implications for the future. I think Allyson may want to experiment with the double again in 2015 possibly to decide where her best gold medal chances lie. Now she will either have to do both events at trials or choose one or the other. Keep in mind that Sanya may be healthy by then and there are already amazing young upcoming talent in both events that will make making the team a real challenge for Felix going forward if she isnt in her best form. Anyone think that Allyson may have more individual golds in her future or is her line cut?
fasttrak85

Re: What does the future hold for Allyson Felix?

Postby maroon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:24 am

don't get the point of your first three sentences. i doubt we will see her doing the 200/400 dbl again since it didn't work out so well for her in daegu. the 100/200 dbl is more likely given the results from london. i wish her a speedy recovery.
maroon

Postby booond » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:35 am

Recovery from injury.

The rest is in the air.
booond

Postby fasttrak85 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:40 am

maroon wrote:don't get the point of your first three sentences. i doubt we will see her doing the 200/400 dbl again since it didn't work out so well for her in daegu. the 100/200 dbl is more likely given the results from london. i wish her a speedy recovery.

It just seems that probability always evens things out in life. Something always happens to make someone not threepeat at the olympics or surpass some record or the other. I dont know if I see Felix attempting the 100 again at championsips. The chance of her making the team will be slim to none if everyone shows up in form. Even Jeter will be having a tough time making teams from now on. Thank god for Felix her 200 cieling is so far ahead that she should still be able to hold on and be good for another 5 years or so.... even though she will prob retire after Rio :cry:. Felix herself is quoted as saying " The 400 is probably where I will end up". So if that is true will she all of a sudden throw the event that put her on the map by the wayside? Or will she give the 400 everything and give what she has left to the 200? When the 400 is your main focus the double is a different double than when the 200 is your main focus. That is why the double will/can be much easier for someone like Sanya because the 200 is just " having fun" whereas for Allyson Felix her favorite event came after she had been on a death march. I am sure that she will want to experiment in 2014 and 2015 to see whether she wants to switch before Rio because if I know Felix she will dying for more hardware and for her Bronze and Silver doesnt cut it.
fasttrak85

Postby Frans Rutten » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:04 pm

fasttrak85 wrote:It just seems the universe has a way of maintaining equilibrium. Allyson was on her way to become the most decorated world champion ever with 9 gold medals(had she won) beating out the like of Carl Lewis. It would have been too good and too sweet so the universe shut it down. This setback has implications for the future. I think Allyson may want to experiment with the double again in 2015 possibly to decide where her best gold medal chances lie. Now she will either have to do both events at trials or choose one or the other. Keep in mind that Sanya may be healthy by then and there are already amazing young upcoming talent in both events that will make making the team a real challenge for Felix going forward if she isnt in her best form. Anyone think that Allyson may have more individual golds in her future or is her line cut?

Allyson Felix has been around on a world level since 2001.
The universe has been very kind to her, mind you, and the loss recently can only be attributed to herself, how hard it was for us to see.

But is the classical position the multi-winner get's in, once he or she isn't clearly superior anymore. He or she than tends to struggle, which isn't always the best strategy and if the opponent is in contention anything can happen.

We have though not often even watched, how Usain Bolt struggled and lost.
Frans Rutten

Postby Frans Rutten » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Allyson will recover and can still win a set of medals. Individually the 200m and of cause the relays 4x100m and 4x400m at championships. But it will take more hard work and the right decisions.

And of cause her graceful run remains unmatched.
Frans Rutten

Postby aaronk » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 pm

John Lennon sang.....

"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans!"

In the current vernacular.......

"Shit happens!!"

Get well, Allyson!!
aaronk

Postby cheetah69 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:08 pm

fasttrak85 wrote:
maroon wrote:don't get the point of your first three sentences. i doubt we will see her doing the 200/400 dbl again since it didn't work out so well for her in daegu. the 100/200 dbl is more likely given the results from london. i wish her a speedy recovery.

It just seems that probability always evens things out in life. Something always happens to make someone not threepeat at the olympics or surpass some record or the other. I dont know if I see Felix attempting the 100 again at championsips. The chance of her making the team will be slim to none if everyone shows up in form. Even Jeter will be having a tough time making teams from now on. Thank god for Felix her 200 cieling is so far ahead that she should still be able to hold on and be good for another 5 years or so.... even though she will prob retire after Rio :cry:. Felix herself is quoted as saying " The 400 is probably where I will end up". So if that is true will she all of a sudden throw the event that put her on the map by the wayside? Or will she give the 400 everything and give what she has left to the 200? When the 400 is your main focus the double is a different double than when the 200 is your main focus. That is why the double will/can be much easier for someone like Sanya because the 200 is just " having fun" whereas for Allyson Felix her favorite event came after she had been on a death march. I am sure that she will want to experiment in 2014 and 2015 to see whether she wants to switch before Rio because if I know Felix she will dying for more hardware and for her Bronze and Silver doesnt cut it.

But what about those people who break the records the first time? Where was the universe then? I'm not sure there's some cosmic controller of world and Olympic medals. People get hurt. It happens. Ottey never won a gold at the Olympics. Devers never won the hurdles at the Olympics. It happens. But Allyson will be back.
cheetah69

Postby gh » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:31 am

Given that she's all of 27 (!), I suspect there's a lot of gas left in that tank.
gh

Postby Flumpy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:01 am

I suspect the future for Allyson Felix holds lots of Gold medals.
Flumpy

Postby ZELLGADISS » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:25 am

Wel, i dont see so "easy" like somebody here that Allyson gets more gold medals in the future.
We go to see like she recovers and like she will be in 2015 with nearly 30 years.

The elite training is very hard and if she has injuries is harder yet.
In adittion it is probably that her level will be worst in the future(logical with the age) and the new sprinters will be stronger.

Allyson has big talent but i dont know,perhaps in some relay will be easier(if USA gets good changes and good 4 runners).
Some medals in general(silver or bronze) looks a lot of easier :wink:

Regards.
ZELLGADISS

Postby Megas15 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:32 am

Flumpy wrote:I suspect the future for Allyson Felix holds lots of Gold medals.

...as well as nightmares for Montsho and the Big O!

Didn't she run a 48+ split at the London 4X4 relay?
Megas15

Postby t_monk » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:27 am

Didn't Felix have injury issues back in early 2006 as well and she came back like gangbusters later that season. She even went on to pb the next year in the 200m, her first sub-22. You can also look at Sherone who in 2006 was 22.00 twice (one in a head-wind), picked up an injury at the beginning of 2007 and haven't been at her best since.

Nothing can be decided until after she comes back from injury. I would assume though that she will be fine though, she's come back from injury before, she can do it again. And if she is within .20 of her best in any of her events she will easily be a medallist. Also let's not forget she is still a shoe-in for relays where the US regularly enter as the favorite.
t_monk

Postby hawkeyeMD » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:37 am

Is there any info out there on the severity of the hamstring injury? All I've seen are the initial reports, nothing that's been followed up in the last few days.
hawkeyeMD

Postby jazzcyclist » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:15 am

I think we've already seen the best of Sanya and Allyson and that's makes me sad. I doubt that either of them will win another global title.
jazzcyclist

Postby ATK » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:28 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:I think we've already seen the best of Sanya and Allyson and that's makes me sad. I doubt that either of them will win another global title.

I agree to an extent. Only because for the past 10 years, SRR and Felix have been at the top or near the top of the world in their respective events. Compared to someone like Jeter who is a relative "newcomer" and doesn't have as much world class pounding on her legs.

On the flip side, the only person able to beat Felix at her best over this decade has been VCB. And now that Sanya is apparently treating her condition appropriately, even when not at her absolute best (2009) she is still the best (2012).

Of course its all assumption, but I'm convinced that with a year off, they both can get back to 2015 and challenge for a title.
ATK

Postby lovetorun » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:17 pm

Yes, a lot will depend on the severity of the injury...hamstring injuries can be very severe and hard to come back 100% from...just ask Chris Solinsky. :(
lovetorun

Postby mump boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 am

fasttrak85 wrote:It just seems the universe has a way of maintaining equilibrium. Allyson was on her way to become the most decorated world champion ever with 9 gold medals(had she won) beating out the like of Carl Lewis.

It is ridiculous to compare Allyson's medal haul to Carl's. if he'd had a World Champs in 79, 81, 85, 89 he'd have twice as many.

Or maybe AF is a better athlete than Sergei Bubka who doesn't have a chance to supplement his medals with relays and could quite possibly have 8 Golds if he's got the chance.

What if Tirunesh had a couple of team races to add in ?

Having the most WC medals is a pointless statistic.
mump boy

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:03 am

mump boy wrote:
fasttrak85 wrote:It just seems the universe has a way of maintaining equilibrium. Allyson was on her way to become the most decorated world champion ever with 9 gold medals(had she won) beating out the like of Carl Lewis.

It is ridiculous to compare Allyson's medal haul to Carl's. if he'd had a World Champs in 79, 81, 85, 89 he'd have twice as many.

Or maybe AF is a better athlete than Sergei Bubka who doesn't have a chance to supplement his medals with relays and could quite possibly have 8 Golds if he's got the chance.

1) Are you sure Lewis would have medaled in 79?

2) Why couldn't Bubka run the 4x100?

3) I agree with you on adding some sort of distance relay. Would you go with the DMR or would you want something longer?
jazzcyclist

Postby fasttrak85 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:37 am

t_monk wrote:Didn't Felix have injury issues back in early 2006 as well and she came back like gangbusters later that season. She even went on to pb the next year in the 200m, her first sub-22. You can also look at Sherone who in 2006 was 22.00 twice (one in a head-wind), picked up an injury at the beginning of 2007 and haven't been at her best since.

Nothing can be decided until after she comes back from injury. I would assume though that she will be fine though, she's come back from injury before, she can do it again. And if she is within .20 of her best in any of her events she will easily be a medallist. Also let's not forget she is still a shoe-in for relays where the US regularly enter as the favorite.

What was Felix injury issue in 2006? I have never known Felix to have any major injury issues.

The only thing I am aware of was a dramatic loss leading up to the Bejing olympics where she ran 23.00 at Crystal Palace and was beaten by a whole bunch of people she was clearly better than but then ran 21.93 less than a month later at the Oly games. This is the reason why I have never put too much stock into what Felix does outside of Trial/ Champs.

While I have not known Felix to have any major injuries she does from time to time run with a very pronounced limp which i have heard could be the result of a leg length discrepancy. If true Allyson is vulnerable to numerous injuries and it is a miracle she has been able to complete as many seasons as she has healthy. Hamstring tears worry me a bit tho because this injury seems to be recurring especially when not allowed to fully heal. Thankfully for Felix her season is over and she has a long recuperating period ahead of her. With next year being an off year she will likely, hopefully, take it easy and be back to whoop ass in 2015. Now that finals will be one for the ages.
fasttrak85

Postby fasttrak85 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 am

mump boy wrote:

Mump i dont create the WC rules and event dates. The medal counts are what they are. There are no distance relays because distance races are long enough. Who has time to watch a 10,000 x 4?
fasttrak85

Postby notlef70 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:58 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:Wel, i dont see so "easy" like somebody here that Allyson gets more gold medals in the future.
We go to see like she recovers and like she will be in 2015 with nearly 30 years.

The elite training is very hard and if she has injuries is harder yet.
In adittion it is probably that her level will be worst in the future(logical with the age) and the new sprinters will be stronger.

Allyson has big talent but i dont know,perhaps in some relay will be easier(if USA gets good changes and good 4 runners).
Some medals in general(silver or bronze) looks a lot of easier :wink:

Regards.

She will recover from her injuries, and begin training from there. She is not the first, nor will she be the last person to get injured, and recover from it... :D
notlef70

Postby notlef70 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:05 am

jazzcyclist wrote:I think we've already seen the best of Sanya and Allyson and that's makes me sad. I doubt that either of them will win another global title.

I respect your opinion, but I disagree... After 2016, then I will throw in the hats of AF and SRR, but until then, they are still the best that we have in the US of A.... (Oh, and Jeter too.).. It was proven on both relays at the 2013 Worlds. On the global level, if SSR has an injury free year, she will win another global title in the 400 meters. My only question is: does Clyde Hart still coach her? I ask because I saw a documentary that had her father listed as her coach, and she was doing her running workouts with some older guy (training partner?). As for Felix, until there is another woman who can consistently drop a sub 22 second 200 meters, I think that AF can win another global title.. But we can assume all that we like.... Until they line up and run, we can only speculate..... :lol:
notlef70

Postby fasttrak85 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:11 am

notlef70 wrote:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree... After 2016, then I will throw in the hats of AF and SRR, but until then, they are still the best that we have in the US of A.... (Oh, and Jeter too.).. It was proven on both relays at the 2013 Worlds. On the global level, if SSR has an injury free year, she will win another global title in the 400 meters. My only question is: does Clyde Hart still coach her? I ask because I saw a documentary that had her father listed as her coach, and she was doing her running workouts with some older guy (training partner?). As for Felix, until there is another woman who can consistently drop a sub 22 second 200 meters, I think that AF can win another global title.. But we can assume all that we like.... Until they line up and run, we can only speculate..... :lol:

I didnt watch the documentary about Sanya( I have been wanting to watch her reality show but havent set the time) but i do know she only trains with Clyde certain times of the year when she is in Texas. I know alot of the year she is in Florida and before when her husband was with the Giants she used to train in Jersey during the winter. For her to leave Clyde at this point in her career would be the stupidest thing she could do. Her father might be capable of coaching little league sprinters and maybe up till hs but he doesnt have the credentials to coach world class sprinters.
fasttrak85

Postby notlef70 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:24 am

fasttrak85 wrote:
notlef70 wrote:

I was hoping that she did not make the same foolish mistake that JW made.... He's never been the same since then (2008, when he left Hart)... Strange..... :?:

I didnt watch the documentary about Sanya( I have been wanting to watch her reality show but havent set the time) but i do know she only trains with Clyde certain times of the year when she is in Texas. I know alot of the year she is in Florida and before when her husband was with the Giants she used to train in Jersey during the winter. For her to leave Clyde at this point in her career would be the stupidest thing she could do. Her father might be capable of coaching little league sprinters and maybe up till hs but he doesnt have the credentials to coach world class sprinters.
notlef70

Postby mump boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:37 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:

1) Are you sure Lewis would have medaled in 79?

2) Why couldn't Bubka run the 4x100?

3) I agree with you on adding some sort of distance relay. Would you go with the DMR or would you want something longer?

1) Not sure but possible

2) because he's a PV not a sprinter !!

3) I'd like an Ekiden but only using athletes who are included in other events
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:38 am

fasttrak85 wrote:
mump boy wrote:

Mump i dont create the WC rules and event dates. The medal counts are what they are. There are no distance relays because distance races are long enough. Who has time to watch a 10,000 x 4?

I didn't say you made the rules but you did make the comparison which is meaningless
mump boy

Postby fasttrak85 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:52 am

mump boy wrote:
fasttrak85 wrote:
mump boy wrote:

I didn't say you made the rules but you did make the comparison which is meaningless

It wont be meaningless to her bank account though when NBC keeps reminding viewers of that title and Nike increases her income on the payroll.
fasttrak85

Postby ZELLGADISS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:49 am

mump boy wrote:

twice?heheh i dont think it :lol:
More medals sure, but how many?
It is hard to tell it.
You can to have not so good competition, a bad day, you can to have injuries,...
I doubt so much that in these years he would win ALWAYS :wink:
ZELLGADISS

Postby mump boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 am

ZELLGADISS wrote:
mump boy wrote:

It is hard to tell it.
You can to have not so good competition, a bad day, you can to have injuries,...

He doesn't have to always win he had 4 events to compete in. There is no doubt that he would have medalled multiple times in '81, '85, '89. Considering he was still winning medals in '93 when past his prime he certainly would have won more in his peak years. He never even ran 200m at WC before '03 yet for example was world No1 in '87 and No2 in 83.

Do we see him being out of the medals in LJ in 81, 85, 89 ?? No1 each year.

No1 at 100m '81, 85, No2 '89

And if they didn't drop the baton outstanding favourites for every 4x1

It is distinctly possible he could have doubles his medal haul.
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:04 am

fasttrak85 wrote:
mump boy wrote:

It wont be meaningless to her bank account though when NBC keeps reminding viewers of that title and Nike increases her income on the payroll.[/quote]

So now we're judging greatness by NBC's standards ? :shock:
mump boy

Postby Flumpy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:19 am

Lolo must be the G.O.A.T!!! :shock:
Flumpy

Postby ZELLGADISS » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 am

mump boy wrote:
ZELLGADISS wrote:
mump boy wrote:

It is hard to tell it.

He doesn't have to always win he had 4 events to compete in. There is no doubt that he would have medalled multiple times in '81, '85, '89. Considering he was still winning medals in '93 when past his prime he certainly would have won more in his peak years. He never even ran 200m at WC before '03 yet for example was world No1 in '87 and No2 in 83.

Do we see him being out of the medals in LJ in 81, 85, 89 ?? No1 each year.

No1 at 100m '81, 85, No2 '89

And if they didn't drop the baton outstanding favourites for every 4x1

It is distinctly possible he could have doubles his medal haul.

Several medals sure, double i dont think it.
You tell it, perhaps mistake in changes baton.
In some trials perhaps injury, perhaps injury in the championship ,perhaps he loses like in Seoul 88 in 200,..
He would get more medals sure, but the double no definitely
ZELLGADISS

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:25 am

It is true that Lewis didn't have as many opportunities for world championship medals as Felix but it's also true that he competed at a time before the Caribbean nations realized their potential in the sprints (and Africa in distance races). From 100 to the marathon, today's runners have to go up against deeper competition on both the men's and women's sides of the sport.
jazzcyclist

Postby mump boy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:25 am

jazzcyclist wrote:It is true that Lewis didn't have as many opportunities for world championship medals as Felix but it's also true that he competed at a time before the Caribbean nations realized their potential in the sprints (and Africa in distance races). From 100 to the marathon, today's runners have to go up against deeper competition on both the men's and women's sides of the sport.

Serious ? Allyson has it harder because she has to run agains VCB ?

I'd rather run against her than against Koch, Dreschler, Gladisch, Flo Jo, Merlene etc If we swapped places Allyson would surely have a lot less medals.
mump boy

Postby fasttrak85 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:35 am

mump boy wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:It is true that Lewis didn't have as many opportunities for world championship medals as Felix but it's also true that he competed at a time before the Caribbean nations realized their potential in the sprints (and Africa in distance races). From 100 to the marathon, today's runners have to go up against deeper competition on both the men's and women's sides of the sport.

I'd rather run against her than against Koch, Dreschler, Gladisch, Flo Jo, Merlene etc If we swapped places Allyson would surely have a lot less medals.

If Allyson was running in the 80's she would likely be an more "enhanced" version of herself or you are right she would have a much tougher time getting medals. She would have had to get down with the get down.
fasttrak85

Postby notlef70 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 am

fasttrak85 wrote:
mump boy wrote:

If Allyson was running in the 80's she would likely be an more "enhanced" version of herself or you are right she would have a much tougher time getting medals. She would have had to get down with the get down.

She would have had to drop alot more 21's!!! Now, running against FloJo in 1988 would not have been fair for AF... :lol:
notlef70

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:49 am

mump boy wrote:Serious ? Allyson has it harder because she has to run agains VCB ?

Are you denying that the sport is deeper now than it was then? If those runners had all been born in 1985, their PR's would probably all be slower than they are today, and I'll leave it at that.
jazzcyclist

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:10 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
mump boy wrote:Serious ? Allyson has it harder because she has to run agains VCB ?

Are you denying that the sport is deeper now than it was then? If those runners had all been born in 1985, their PR's would probably all be slower than they are today, and I'll leave it at that.

If she was in the 90s she would have had a far deeper field, with a lot of ladies that would have the same PR then and now
jjimbojames

Postby fasttrak85 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 pm

notlef70 wrote:
fasttrak85 wrote:
mump boy wrote:

She would have had to drop alot more 21's!!! Now, running against FloJo in 1988 would not have been fair for AF... :lol:
]

If Allyson was running in the 1980s her training partners would have been Flo Jo Valerie Brisco and Gail Devers(towards the end of her career). Allyson would be the world record holder at 200 meters and might even have the 400 meter world record, Her pbs would be 21.25 and 47.50.
fasttrak85

Next