Brad Walker dropped by Nike for taping crappy velcro

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Brad Walker dropped by Nike for taping crappy velcro

Postby JumboElliott » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:09 pm

1. He finished fourth. That's as good as last in the pole vault.
2. There are several vaulters who are consistently better than him over the circuit. Brad Walker may be the best that we have in the US, but he is maddeningly inconsistent and is more likely to no height than put up a big vault.
3. He's not getting any younger.
4. He has never recorded a height in an Olympic final. If you're not winning Olympic medals as a pole vaulter in America, you're chickenshit from a sponsorship perspective.

I'm usually one of the first people to pile on against Nike, but Brad Walker (who I like) doesn't deserve their charity, and I find his story about taping over the velcro being the only reason that he was dropped to be farfetched.
JumboElliott

Postby bushop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:46 am

Reese Bobby wrote:1. He finished fourth. That's as good as last in the pole vault.
bushop

Postby decafan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:47 am

Jumpman wrote:You know, he will be 35 at the next Olympics but and here is a big one. HE IS STILL HE BEST WE HAVE. He is coming back, strong. Wait till next year. For you people that say he has not done anything really good in the past few years. I believe he won Nationals oh yeah he took FOURTH in the the WORLD this year, tied for third.

Oh by the way what is your PB??????? And why aren't you an elite???? My guess is because you have no idea what the commitment is?????

As far as Nike goes. Show me where he has said anything that was bad about the shoe. All he has done is point out the flaws, AND he has told NIKE about them numerous times and they have not fixed them. If you travel you want to carry as few of things as possible, reason for being in the same bag.

If you look closely ask yourself this question, Why did Jeff Hartwig, Tim Mack, Toby Stevenson, NIck Hysong, NOT wear NIKE spikes. HMMMMM?????

This is just typical of a Corp. saying "What have you done lately for ME".

Brad did what he had to do so he could compete at the level he needed to to do the best he could do at the time. Until you can jump as high as the US RECORD holder does I would suggest keeping your thoughts to yourself.

Settle down there, jumpman. I like your passion, but I would suggest dialing it back a notch. We are discussing the merits of something Brad did, not whether or not we like him or think he is a great athlete. I like Brad very much. I always have. I would like nothing more than to see him win another World title and his first Olympic medal. I am of the opinion that he overplayed his hand on this one, however. He just made it impossible for himself to ever return to Nike- the biggest track and field athlete sponsor in the world- and it's not even close. Before you demonize Nike, you might want to ask yourself why another major shoe company didn't want to sign Brad before World's. If Brad is so marketable, it seems strange nobody else was competing for his sponsorship. The truth is, the US is struggling in the Men's pole vault lately. It might mean something for for Brad to be the current US champion if the US was strong right now. He won his 2013 title with 18'6". I'm not sure what point you are trying to make about posters' personal bests somehow qualifying their opinions about this topic. People are entitled to their opinions, regardless of their status as elite athletes. And your point about those American pole vaulters who weren't Nike athletes in their careers might actually mean something if there weren't so many elite international vaulters who were and ARE Nike athletes. Renaud Lavillenie comes to mind. And he doesn't tape his shoes. He just jumps really high.
decafan

Postby JumboElliott » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:45 am

bushop wrote:
Reese Bobby wrote:1. He finished fourth. That's as good as last in the pole vault.

I see what you did there...

My larger point is that you're not going to be worth it from a sponsorship perspective in an event outside of the 100m dash if the most marketable thing about you is that you're simply the "best American".
JumboElliott

Postby bushop » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:46 am

JumboElliott wrote:
bushop wrote:
I see what you did there...
My larger point is that you're not going to be worth it from a sponsorship perspective in an event outside of the 100m dash if the most marketable thing about you is that you're simply the "best American".

For sure.
bushop

Postby Jumpman » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:14 pm

And your point about those American pole vaulters who weren't Nike athletes in their careers might actually mean something if there weren't so many elite international vaulters who were and ARE Nike athletes. Renaud Lavillenie comes to mind. And he doesn't tape his shoes. He just jumps really high.

And he wears Triple Jump Spikes, not PV Spikes
Jumpman

Postby polevaultpower » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 pm

Jumpman wrote:And he wears Triple Jump Spikes, not PV Spikes

Lots of elite pole vaulters prefer the TJ spikes over the PV spikes...
polevaultpower

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:02 am

Glad to see he's now signed with Mizuno.
Marlow

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:52 am

polevaultpower wrote:
Jumpman wrote:And he wears Triple Jump Spikes, not PV Spikes

Lots of elite pole vaulters prefer the TJ spikes over the PV spikes...

Interesting. Why is that?
eldanielfire

Postby Marlow » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:54 am

eldanielfire wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:Lots of elite pole vaulters prefer the TJ spikes over the PV spikes...

Interesting. Why is that?

Especially since there are several PV/TJ combo spikes.
Marlow

Postby ExCoastRanger » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 pm

Marlow wrote:Glad to see he's now signed with Mizuno.

Perhaps he can refrain from publicly bashing this company's product.
Of course, Mizuno hasn't offered spikes in their catalogs for a couple of seasons now, so it shouldn't be too hard.
They do have some nice gear bags with multiple compartments, so he should be able to keep his shoes and chalk separate.
ExCoastRanger

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:36 pm

ExCoastRanger wrote:
Marlow wrote:Glad to see he's now signed with Mizuno.

Perhaps he can refrain from publicly bashing this company's product.
Of course, Mizuno hasn't offered spikes in their catalogs for a couple of seasons now, so it shouldn't be too hard.
They do have some nice gear bags with multiple compartments, so he should be able to keep his shoes and chalk separate.

Did he bash the shoes or did that come after in explaining what the problem was after Nike complained. If the latter, then it is merely the factual response to Nike's actions. That is not bashing except in terms of what the effect was, not what the action was. It has been long enough back that I do not remember the details and the exact history, but you can go read through for what narrative you think is the one to follow.
26mi235

Previous