2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 pm

According to the above photos, the lj runways are now inside of the track.
Sort of comical that the javelin runways are still marked; but seriously doubt there will be any throws on the artificial turf.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby gm » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm

The last time the hammer was held on the infield at the USA Championships was 2005 (Carson), I believe.
gm

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 pm

gh wrote:So Sac State it is, and my prime question is, what's wrong with this picture?

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fball/HornetStadium

My second question is, do they really think they'll win a 2020 OT bid that has a stadium with the throws (including the shot?) outside the bowl?

Now I am more confused than usual.. we worked another big meet at another stadium in Sac.
This looks like the OT stadium except there was a 400m warm up track behind a fence, immediately adjacent to the north end of main track. Jump pits/runways in right place, two tone passing lanes..parking garages east of track
lonewolf

Postby no one » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:21 pm

doesn't it get pretty toasty in June/July in Sac? Not much of a factor/concern - other than for mid-distance guys and perhaps events that take a long time to complete i.e., PV?
no one

Postby NW1969 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:47 am

There is a warm up track to the north of the track at Sac St. It is on the other side of the Well(building that in the picture on just north of the track). I have competed in 5 or 6 meets at Sac St since 2009. Unless they plan on building new rings in the stadium, no throwing events will take place in the stadium. I found the throw facilities so impressive that I vowed never to return after the Masters Worlds in 2011!

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q ... KQBEPwSMAs
NW1969

Postby gh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:31 am

no one wrote:doesn't it get pretty toasty in June/July in Sac? Not much of a factor/concern - other than for mid-distance guys and perhaps events that take a long time to complete i.e., PV?

Sacto can be blistering during the daytime, but frequently offers the best of both worlds as the evenings can be quite delightful for distance running.
gh

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:52 am

I don't see why it would be a problem to have the shot inside the stadium, even without a built-in facility. Couldn't they easily set-up a temporary shot area like they use for the street/mall competitions, with a boxed dirt area and a raised throwing circle?
Grasshopper

Postby rsb2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:54 pm

They seem to be operating on a tight timeline, with work starting in the Spring? I assume the weather is predictable enough that there won't be weather-related slowdowns or shutdowns during construction. Does anyone know if they are tearing the existing facility up and re-building from the ground up?
rsb2

Postby KevinM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:04 pm

gh wrote:
no one wrote:doesn't it get pretty toasty in June/July in Sac? Not much of a factor/concern - other than for mid-distance guys and perhaps events that take a long time to complete i.e., PV?

Sacto can be blistering during the daytime, but frequently offers the best of both worlds as the evenings can be quite delightful for distance running.

I agree. Of the towns that seem to give a damn about hosting big meets, conditions are most ideal (and predictable?) in Sacramento. I've gone from sweating to layering-up in a matter of 45 minutes once the sun sets.
KevinM

Postby gh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem to have the shot inside the stadium, even without a built-in facility. Couldn't they easily set-up a temporary shot area like they use for the street/mall competitions, with a boxed dirt area and a raised throwing circle?

I'm no groundskeeper, but I'm guessing that while it's easy to throw down a pile of sand and sweep it up later off the street, your football coach is gonna go batshit if he finds his football field's prized "field turf" is contaminated with it.
gh

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:06 pm

gh wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem to have the shot inside the stadium, even without a built-in facility. Couldn't they easily set-up a temporary shot area like they use for the street/mall competitions, with a boxed dirt area and a raised throwing circle?

I'm no groundskeeper, but I'm guessing that while it's easy to throw down a pile of sand and sweep it up later off the street, your football coach is gonna go batshit if he finds his football field's prized "field turf" is contaminated with it.

True. But that's the nice thing about going with a non-big-league football school as your host. I doubt the football coach at Sac State holds nearly the amount of clout as at your typical top-tear football school.
Grasshopper

Postby fourjz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:49 pm

So glad they are bringing it back to Sacramento,CA.The 2000 Olympic Trials were impressive and a return to glory for the National Meet.And a money maker just like the 84 Olympics brought profitability to the Olympics,rather than causing nations to collapse,or practically go bankrupt to host them. :mrgreen:
fourjz

Postby NW1969 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:32 am

rsb2 wrote:They seem to be operating on a tight timeline, with work starting in the Spring? I assume the weather is predictable enough that there won't be weather-related slowdowns or shutdowns during construction. Does anyone know if they are tearing the existing facility up and re-building from the ground up?

The weather should not cause a problem with construction. Sac St. may have to alter its T&F schedule, as is normally hosts 2 meets in March, one in April, and one in May. From what I have read, it is a resurfacing of the track itself and not much if any changes to the other structures.
NW1969

Postby fourjz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 pm

It's official.Sac State to host 2014 Nationals.And 1.2 million dollars refurbishment removing turf and planting grass for the stadium.So the glory of the 2000(184,000 attendance) & 2004 (172,000 attendance) Olympic Trials will return to Hornet Stadium.Yeah !! :mrgreen:
fourjz

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:08 am

fourjz wrote:It's official.Sac State to host 2014 Nationals.And 1.2 million dollars refurbishment removing turf and planting grass for the stadium.So the glory of the 2000(184,000 attendance) & 2004 (172,000 attendance) Olympic Trials will return to Hornet Stadium.Yeah !! :mrgreen:

Glory, perhaps. Huge attendance as before? No way, unless they heavily paper the house. Think NCAA meet attendances in Sacto and you'll probably get a more accurate picture. Meanwhile, the World's Juniors up the street will outdraw USATF based on daily average attendance. Glad to see that they are removing turf to keep most events inside the stadium. Are they going to replace the synthetic turf after the meet, or leave the field grass in hopes of getting 2020 Trials?
bruce3404

Postby gh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:14 am

I have seen no indication that they're yanking the turf, and find it hard to believe (I could be wrong).

From the story on our front page the other day (from school paper):

<<The project will resurface the track at Hornet Stadium in preparation for the 2014 USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

The resurfacing is expected to be complete by the end of spring, in time for the three-day event beginning June 26.

This is the second time the athletics department has drawn in money from outside the university to help upgrade Hornet Stadium in the past three years. In 2010, the now failed United Football League franchise Sacramento Mountain Lions paid for a third of the $1.1 million upgrade project to change the football field from natural grass to artificial turf.

The cost for refurbishing the track will be $1.2 million, but Sacramento Sports Commission, a division of the Sacramento Convention and Visitors Bureau, will pay for the project at no cost to the university….>>

The fact that they called the switch to turf an UPGRADE (and one that cost $1.1M) makes it hard to believe that they're about to yank it out just 3-4 years later.
gh

Postby fourjz » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:13 pm

bruce3404 wrote:
fourjz wrote:It's official.Sac State to host 2014 Nationals.And 1.2 million dollars refurbishment removing turf and planting grass for the stadium.So the glory of the 2000(184,000 attendance) & 2004 (172,000 attendance) Olympic Trials will return to Hornet Stadium.Yeah !! :mrgreen:

Glory, perhaps. Huge attendance as before? No way, unless they heavily paper the house. Think NCAA meet attendances in Sacto and you'll probably get a more accurate picture. Meanwhile, the World's Juniors up the street will outdraw USATF based on daily average attendance. Glad to see that they are removing turf to keep most events inside the stadium. Are they going to replace the synthetic turf after the meet, or leave the field grass in hopes of getting 2020 Trials?

Yeah.The glory and the crowds will return for the Olympic Trials in 2020 in SacTown.The other events will vary according to their importance ie NCAA's,Nationals,etc. :mrgreen:
fourjz

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:33 am

gh wrote:

Field Turf has a good layer of sand in it. If you had a temporary raised SP over the turf, and some kind of tarp or whatever around it to keep most of the stray sand in, any other small amounts that might escape would do no damage to the field... IMO.
polevaultpower

Postby gm » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:01 am

polevaultpower wrote:
gh wrote:

Field Turf has a good layer of sand in it. If you had a temporary raised SP over the turf, and some kind of tarp or whatever around it to keep most of the stray sand in, any other small amounts that might escape would do no damage to the field... IMO.

Why would you need a sanded landing area? At Drake they threw onto the turf, IIRC.
gm

Postby lime » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:03 pm

gm wrote:
polevaultpower wrote:
gh wrote:

Why would you need a sanded landing area? At Drake they threw onto the turf, IIRC.

Correct (for shot).
lime

Postby bruce3404 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:39 pm

lime wrote:
gm wrote:

Correct (for shot).

And they were lucky no one broke an ankle since the shot skipped over the rear railing several times and skittered down the football field.
bruce3404

Postby measurer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:24 am

fyi
Meet management must make sure that the landing area is not lower then the portable throwing circle. The IAAF is very particular about this if a record or qualifying distance is achieved. The tolerance is the same for the track, runways and throwing circles/runways/sectors
measurer

Postby gh » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:43 am

which means that unless the turf infield is created with inset circles (as I believe Drake has), the only way to have a legal area is to add sand up to the level of the portable circle.
gh

Postby Ned Ryerson » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:03 am

gh wrote:which means that unless the turf infield is created with inset circles (as I believe Drake has), the only way to have a legal area is to add sand up to the level of the portable circle.

Drake does (two, in fact) and from the Google Earth image, it looks like Hornet Stadium has one, located in their javelin runway.
Ned Ryerson

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:22 am

Any news yet on how/where Sacto plans to facilitate the throws at this summer's USATF Champs?
Grasshopper

Postby gh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:33 am

have seen nothing to indicate that they'll be anywhere but on the outer field. Indeed, don't believe there is even remotely an option to move them inside.

Meanwhile, see new story posted on front page. Sacto gets the '17 Nationals…. if they meet specified attendance goals this year.
gh

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 am

gh wrote:have seen nothing to indicate that they'll be anywhere but on the outer field. Indeed, don't believe there is even remotely an option to move them inside.

Meanwhile, see new story posted on front page. Sacto gets the '17 Nationals…. if they meet specified attendance goals this year.

Would this be the first time that ALL of the throws are held outside the main stadium? Disappointing if that's the case. I still don't see why they couldn't be creative and at least hold the shot-put on the infield.
Grasshopper

Postby Jackaloupe » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:57 am

"Sacreligious" might've been an apt jibe, if the word 'sacrilegious' derived from 'religion'; but it's a version of 'sacrilege';~)
Jackaloupe

Postby polevaultpower » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:23 am

Last I heard they were tentatively planning to have the shot put in downtown Sacramento. I don't know if that has been finalized.
polevaultpower

Postby Mighty Favog » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 am

gh wrote:Meanwhile, see new story posted on front page. Sacto gets the '17 Nationals…. if they meet specified attendance goals this year.
The quoted number, 22,500, has been easily surpassed by Des Moines '10 (32,048) and Indy '06 (30,050), and just barely missed by Stanford '02 (22,490). However, those totals quoted in eTN may or may not be actual ticket sales, as will be required for Sacto.
Mighty Favog

Postby gh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:53 pm

any attendance figures we ever use are those as released by whomever is in charge. (You know, utterly faked :-)
gh

Postby no one » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:17 pm

what is Hayward field attendance capacity?
why don't they increase? They should be able to get the money - yes? -- no?... Presently they are enjoying great football success and they would likely get full capacity for any/most track meets there - and track/field-fans would rest easier (well maybe not) with likelihood of big meets being awarded there. give PK a project to do
no one

Postby gh » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Important fact to note: it can cost more to add a seat to a stadium than you can get from selling it.

Particularly on a one-time sale. If you're selling a league series in a team sport, then the cost is amortized over the number of games played. But for a one-time insertion, the math is not favorable.
gh

Next