2014 USATF Champs to Sac State


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby gh » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:29 pm

rumor has it that the meet (or is it meets, with the Juniors as well, which Eugene wanted to combine with the World Juniors?) is off to Sacramento.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Fortius19 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:36 pm

If it is, I'm there!

I miss the Modesto Relays.
Fortius19
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:18 am

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Sac City College ('93 Nationals), Sac State ('00 & '04 Trials, now with turf infield), or American River College?
Grasshopper
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: In front of my computer

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby gh » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:01 pm

Sac City is now also turf, but believe that's the bidder.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/21/474319 ... ughes.html
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:21 pm

gh wrote:Sac City is now also turf, but believe that's the bidder.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/21/474319 ... ughes.html

So grass is only a requirement for IAAF, not USATF?
Grasshopper
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: In front of my computer

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby tandfman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:18 pm

It was my understanding that the bid was for Sac State.
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
gh wrote:Sac City is now also turf, but believe that's the bidder.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/21/474319 ... ughes.html

So grass is only a requirement for IAAF, not USATF?

Just looked it up and you're right :( . Bummer. Unfortunately, it looks like they moved the LJ/TJ pits outside of the stadium for some reason (Google Maps satellite photo: http://tinyurl.com/klxetrp). I can't imagine a USATF nationals with those events outside of the main arena.
Grasshopper
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: In front of my computer

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby lonewolf » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:29 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
gh wrote:
Unfortunately, it looks like they moved the LJ/TJ pits outside of the stadium for some reason (Google Maps satellite photo: http://tinyurl.com/klxetrp). I can't imagine a USATF nationals with those events outside of the main arena.

Sacreligious. :evil:
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Grasshopper wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:
gh wrote:Sac City is now also turf, but believe that's the bidder.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/21/474319 ... ughes.html

So grass is only a requirement for IAAF, not USATF?

Just looked it up and you're right :( . Bummer. Unfortunately, it looks like they moved the LJ/TJ pits outside of the stadium for some reason (Google Maps satellite photo: http://tinyurl.com/klxetrp). I can't imagine a USATF nationals with those events outside of the main arena.


That's horrible. Unless they've changed it, the Sac State facility has absolutely TERRIBLE sight lines, to boot. Sac City is a very good venue for the spectators for the in-stadium stuff, but they have to hold the long throws on the adjacent field.

Of course, in Sacramento there's always the risk of extreme heat. My band had to cancel a couple of our gigs this summer, as it was going to be 111 (around 44).

Personally, even though I live close by, I hope Sacramento doesn't get the meet. (Not that I wouldn't go, though >:-)
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank
 
Posts: 2254
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: N38 40, W 121 52

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby bruce3404 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:37 pm

Grasshopper wrote: I can't imagine a USATF nationals with those events outside of the main arena.


Well, they could make up for it by scheduling all events outside of the stadium to coincide with events on the track.....oh wait, they already did that in Des Moines this year :evil:
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby gh » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:08 am

would indeed be Sac State (whose reputation for bad sightlines is greatly exaggerated, IMHO).

But I'm hearing that the bid is dependent on a "real year" coming as part of the package. That's typically the only way USATF can get anbody to handle the off-year meet, is to attach either an OT or WCT year to it.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Grasshopper » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am

gh wrote:would indeed be Sac State (whose reputation for bad sightlines is greatly exaggerated, IMHO).

But I'm hearing that the bid is dependent on a "real year" coming as part of the package. That's typically the only way USATF can get anbody to handle the off-year meet, is to attach either an OT or WCT year to it.

Do you know, GH, if USATF will allow a "real year" event on a facility with a turf infield? Wouldn't this require the throws to be held outside of the stadium?

Here's a link to the Google Maps satellite shot of Sac State's new (since the '04 Trials) layout: http://tinyurl.com/lcu5nhs
Last edited by Grasshopper on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grasshopper
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: In front of my computer

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby NW1969 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:21 am

Unless they plan on building new facilities, none of the throwing events take place in the stadium at Sac State. They have all been moved to the "warm up" field/track area; IMO they are sub par for a national championship.
NW1969
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby bluequiet » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:36 am

I saw on Wikipedia that the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Outdoo ... mpionships) has listed the Paul Derr Track at North Carolina Sate University as the host of the 2014 US champs.

Up to this point, there is no link at USATF.org for the 2014 Championships, let alone any indication of where it will be. Based on that, and the fact that I've never heard anyone whispering "Raleigh, North Carolina" as a bidding or possible site for the championships, I'm finding this information on Wikipedia dubious. However, why in the world would someone have posted it randomly on the page? People sometimes post untrue stuff on there temporarily just to get a screen shot or notoriety, but the track and field community doesn't seem like a ripe place for something like that.

So what's the story? Does Wikipedia know something we don't? Any information out there on the subject?
bluequiet
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:57 am

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby MJR » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:56 pm

I doubt it, but could be wrong (it is Wikipedia, after all). I'm an officer of the NC Association and have heard nothing. A few notes about the facility. Great & fast track. Discus & Hammer are outside the stadium, Javelin on the infield. Walks would be forced to the track, as there is no suitable road course without getting "really creative". Seating is comfortable, but probably lacking in quantity. Not sure how they fit in portable bleachers safely. Warmup areas would have to be intramural fields across the street. Nothing else viable. USADA would have to be done in an adjacent building, as there are minimal restrooms track-side. No place for officials to go during the meet, unless it too is a campus building away from the track. Weather will be extreme. Not uncommon to get temps on the track of 115 in mid afternoon that time of year. Thunderstorms will happen as well.
MJR
 
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: on walkabout....

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Blues » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:38 pm

bluequiet wrote:I saw on Wikipedia that the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Outdoo ... mpionships) has listed the Paul Derr Track at North Carolina Sate University as the host of the 2014 US champs.

Up to this point, there is no link at USATF.org for the 2014 Championships, let alone any indication of where it will be. Based on that, and the fact that I've never heard anyone whispering "Raleigh, North Carolina" as a bidding or possible site for the championships, I'm finding this information on Wikipedia dubious. However, why in the world would someone have posted it randomly on the page? People sometimes post untrue stuff on there temporarily just to get a screen shot or notoriety, but the track and field community doesn't seem like a ripe place for something like that.

So what's the story? Does Wikipedia know something we don't? Any information out there on the subject?


The dates for the USATF Outdoor Champs of June 20-24, 2014 on that Wikipedia page would mean that the meet starts on Friday and ends on Tuesday. Would that ever happen?
Blues
 
Posts: 1091
Joined: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:58 am

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby cladthin » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:59 pm

bluequiet wrote:I saw on Wikipedia that the USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USA_Outdoo ... mpionships) has listed the Paul Derr Track at North Carolina Sate University as the host of the 2014 US champs.

Up to this point, there is no link at USATF.org for the 2014 Championships, let alone any indication of where it will be. Based on that, and the fact that I've never heard anyone whispering "Raleigh, North Carolina" as a bidding or possible site for the championships, I'm finding this information on Wikipedia dubious. However, why in the world would someone have posted it randomly on the page? People sometimes post untrue stuff on there temporarily just to get a screen shot or notoriety, but the track and field community doesn't seem like a ripe place for something like that.

So what's the story? Does Wikipedia know something we don't? Any information out there on the subject?


That would be great for us Southeastern and Eastern folks. I hope that comes off. I had not heard this previously, either. That's the obvious potential issue with Wiki., though, and that's that someone could potentially enter incorrect info. knowingly or unknowingly so I definitely question the accuracy of such an entry. I had been hearing Sac. State for awhile and not just from T&FN but sources in Sacramento indicating that facility as the likely site.
cladthin
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Right there.

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby fourjz » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:31 am

SAC State would be great.They should have never left having the the OT's,and or NCAA's there.The 2000,and 2004 OT's brought back the trials to being a desired spectator sport again.It was great.Plenty of restaurants,plenty of hotels,close to the San Francisco Bay Area,Reno,Nevada & Lake Tahoe Area,and good consistent warm weather. 8-)
fourjz
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Southern California

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Looks like it WILL be Sacto in 2014! http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2013/10/28/3301058/sacramento-to-host-2014-national.html. It'll be interesting to see how they make it work, but I'm looking forward to it regardless.
Grasshopper
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: In front of my computer

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby gh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:23 am

So Sac State it is, and my prime question is, what's wrong with this picture?

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fball/HornetStadium

My second question is, do they really think they'll win a 2020 OT bid that has a stadium with the throws (including the shot?) outside the bowl?
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:49 am

gh wrote:So Sac State it is, and my prime question is, what's wrong with this picture?

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fball/HornetStadium

My second question is, do they really think they'll win a 2020 OT bid that has a stadium with the throws (including the shot?) outside the bowl?


Looks like they reconfigured the stadium since the '04 trials (permanent buildings in both end zones and a more circuitous route to get to the old DT/HT areas) and the artificial turf is going to have to go. Des Moines pulled off a USATF championship in an odd year with a similar bad configuration, but if Sacto is serious about 2020, they're going to have to spend a lot of money. Given that the previous organization apparently stiffed the city for $400K, it's hard to imagine much public support or governmental support for such expenditures. With proper throws scheduling, I see Sacto as a good place for championship meets in '14, '18, '22, etc, in other words, when there's not a high level of interest. If the locals don't come out next year, it's probably a moot point.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby NW1969 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:19 am

Throwers hosed again. The best spectator views for the shot & hammer will be from the street running by the practice track! Not much better for Javelin & Discus. That is unless USATF decides to bring in temporary stands/seating for throws spectators. Give USATF's treatment of the throws, I highly doubt that. The turf in the stadium is only 3-4 years old; I do not see them going back to grass.
NW1969
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:37 am

Anytime I walk into a stadium and find the throws/LJ/TJ pits outside/behind/side show, I think "Bush League". :(
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby gh » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:57 pm

do we know for a certainty no in-bowl shot in Sacto? Picture certainly makes it look like it.

I believe that no throws, period, in the stadium, would be a first (and new low) for a Nationals.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:25 pm

I worked the OTs in that stadium in 2000/2004.. jump pits were inside, parallel to west sideline...no problem, no reason to move them out of sight where no one can see and follow the results?..... and the jumpers don't like it either :x
Can you imagine an Olympics with the venue of the legendary Owens, Beamon, Lewis and Powell held out of sight, out of mind???

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb :evil:
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 pm

According to the above photos, the lj runways are now inside of the track.
Sort of comical that the javelin runways are still marked; but seriously doubt there will be any throws on the artificial turf.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby gm » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:25 pm

The last time the hammer was held on the infield at the USA Championships was 2005 (Carson), I believe.
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Re: 2014 USATF Champs

Postby lonewolf » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:23 pm

gh wrote:So Sac State it is, and my prime question is, what's wrong with this picture?

http://www.hornetsports.com/sports/fball/HornetStadium

My second question is, do they really think they'll win a 2020 OT bid that has a stadium with the throws (including the shot?) outside the bowl?


Now I am more confused than usual.. we worked another big meet at another stadium in Sac.
This looks like the OT stadium except there was a 400m warm up track behind a fence, immediately adjacent to the north end of main track. Jump pits/runways in right place, two tone passing lanes..parking garages east of track
lonewolf
 
Posts: 8816
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Indian Territory

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby no one » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:21 pm

doesn't it get pretty toasty in June/July in Sac? Not much of a factor/concern - other than for mid-distance guys and perhaps events that take a long time to complete i.e., PV?
no one
 
Posts: 1611
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby NW1969 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:47 am

There is a warm up track to the north of the track at Sac St. It is on the other side of the Well(building that in the picture on just north of the track). I have competed in 5 or 6 meets at Sac St since 2009. Unless they plan on building new rings in the stadium, no throwing events will take place in the stadium. I found the throw facilities so impressive that I vowed never to return after the Masters Worlds in 2011!

https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q ... KQBEPwSMAs
NW1969
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby gh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:31 am

no one wrote:doesn't it get pretty toasty in June/July in Sac? Not much of a factor/concern - other than for mid-distance guys and perhaps events that take a long time to complete i.e., PV?


Sacto can be blistering during the daytime, but frequently offers the best of both worlds as the evenings can be quite delightful for distance running.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:52 am

I don't see why it would be a problem to have the shot inside the stadium, even without a built-in facility. Couldn't they easily set-up a temporary shot area like they use for the street/mall competitions, with a boxed dirt area and a raised throwing circle?
Grasshopper
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: In front of my computer

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby rsb2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:54 pm

They seem to be operating on a tight timeline, with work starting in the Spring? I assume the weather is predictable enough that there won't be weather-related slowdowns or shutdowns during construction. Does anyone know if they are tearing the existing facility up and re-building from the ground up?
rsb2
 
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby KevinM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:04 pm

gh wrote:
no one wrote:doesn't it get pretty toasty in June/July in Sac? Not much of a factor/concern - other than for mid-distance guys and perhaps events that take a long time to complete i.e., PV?


Sacto can be blistering during the daytime, but frequently offers the best of both worlds as the evenings can be quite delightful for distance running.


I agree. Of the towns that seem to give a damn about hosting big meets, conditions are most ideal (and predictable?) in Sacramento. I've gone from sweating to layering-up in a matter of 45 minutes once the sun sets.
KevinM
 
Posts: 2651
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby gh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:19 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem to have the shot inside the stadium, even without a built-in facility. Couldn't they easily set-up a temporary shot area like they use for the street/mall competitions, with a boxed dirt area and a raised throwing circle?


I'm no groundskeeper, but I'm guessing that while it's easy to throw down a pile of sand and sweep it up later off the street, your football coach is gonna go batshit if he finds his football field's prized "field turf" is contaminated with it.
gh
 
Posts: 46335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby Grasshopper » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:06 pm

gh wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:I don't see why it would be a problem to have the shot inside the stadium, even without a built-in facility. Couldn't they easily set-up a temporary shot area like they use for the street/mall competitions, with a boxed dirt area and a raised throwing circle?


I'm no groundskeeper, but I'm guessing that while it's easy to throw down a pile of sand and sweep it up later off the street, your football coach is gonna go batshit if he finds his football field's prized "field turf" is contaminated with it.

True. But that's the nice thing about going with a non-big-league football school as your host. I doubt the football coach at Sac State holds nearly the amount of clout as at your typical top-tear football school.
Grasshopper
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: In front of my computer

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby fourjz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:49 pm

So glad they are bringing it back to Sacramento,CA.The 2000 Olympic Trials were impressive and a return to glory for the National Meet.And a money maker just like the 84 Olympics brought profitability to the Olympics,rather than causing nations to collapse,or practically go bankrupt to host them. :mrgreen:
fourjz
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Southern California

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby NW1969 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:32 am

rsb2 wrote:They seem to be operating on a tight timeline, with work starting in the Spring? I assume the weather is predictable enough that there won't be weather-related slowdowns or shutdowns during construction. Does anyone know if they are tearing the existing facility up and re-building from the ground up?



The weather should not cause a problem with construction. Sac St. may have to alter its T&F schedule, as is normally hosts 2 meets in March, one in April, and one in May. From what I have read, it is a resurfacing of the track itself and not much if any changes to the other structures.
NW1969
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 am
Location: Roseville, CA

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby fourjz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:17 pm

It's official.Sac State to host 2014 Nationals.And 1.2 million dollars refurbishment removing turf and planting grass for the stadium.So the glory of the 2000(184,000 attendance) & 2004 (172,000 attendance) Olympic Trials will return to Hornet Stadium.Yeah !! :mrgreen:
fourjz
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:08 am
Location: Southern California

Re: 2014 USATF Champs to Sac State

Postby bruce3404 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:08 am

fourjz wrote:It's official.Sac State to host 2014 Nationals.And 1.2 million dollars refurbishment removing turf and planting grass for the stadium.So the glory of the 2000(184,000 attendance) & 2004 (172,000 attendance) Olympic Trials will return to Hornet Stadium.Yeah !! :mrgreen:


Glory, perhaps. Huge attendance as before? No way, unless they heavily paper the house. Think NCAA meet attendances in Sacto and you'll probably get a more accurate picture. Meanwhile, the World's Juniors up the street will outdraw USATF based on daily average attendance. Glad to see that they are removing turf to keep most events inside the stadium. Are they going to replace the synthetic turf after the meet, or leave the field grass in hopes of getting 2020 Trials?
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AS, gktrack, jjimbojames and 4 guests