College Athletes who turn pro changing coaches?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

College Athletes who turn pro changing coaches?

Postby 50.50 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:05 pm

I've noticed that many sprinter that have success in college immediately change coaches when they turn pro.

The reason I bring this up is I'm looking at Locke at FSU and the success he's had there but when I think about other FSU athletes it seems like they all fall off once they leave the university setting. Yes Dix has done some things but it doesnt seem like he's improve that much since college. Maurice Mitchell....not sure whats happened to him. Ricardo Chambers who had success in college but who knows what happen to him.

I'm sure this is similar at other universities but I just happen to follow FSU so know that. Are these athletes being pushed to other coaches or doing so on their own.....

Just an observation...

Re: College Athletes who turn pro changing coaches?

Postby aaronk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Don't follow who's coaching whom much.
But I DID notice that Jenny Simpson gives a lot of credit to her improvement this year to her switch BACK to her old coach (Wetmore).
Of course, there was ALSO the switch back to Colorado.....a place she considers her home....with family, friends, familiar streets (and running trails!!).
So I'm guessing that the "best" coach for someone, whether distance person or sprinter, is the coach he/she feels most comfortable with!
aaronk

Re: College Athletes who turn pro changing coaches?

Postby cladthin » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:31 pm

50.50 wrote:I've noticed that many sprinter that have success in college immediately change coaches when they turn pro.

The reason I bring this up is I'm looking at Locke at FSU and the success he's had there but when I think about other FSU athletes it seems like they all fall off once they leave the university setting. Yes Dix has done some things but it doesnt seem like he's improve that much since college. Maurice Mitchell....not sure whats happened to him. Ricardo Chambers who had success in college but who knows what happen to him.

I'm sure this is similar at other universities but I just happen to follow FSU so know that. Are these athletes being pushed to other coaches or doing so on their own.....

Just an observation...

The best who are able to get an agent/manager and a shoe contract are often funneled towards certain coaches for various reasons. A few might include their belief in a pro. coach who has a great resume' of doing so in the past-helping to transition a number of athletes from the college setting into one of being a professional athlete and that they are, over the long haul, improving.

The shoe company might also have doubts (right or wrong) as to not only the collegiate coach's ability to develop the athlete in the long term but more likely how much time are they going to be able to commit to the pro. in question. This while simultaneously upholding their many responsibilities to the university team, the athletes, recruiting etc. etc. In terms of the actual training, the company or agent might question if the collegiate coach would simply construct a canned program that they utilize for all of their athletes in a particular event group-same runs, sets, sets, rest intervals, lifts, drills, jumps/med ball throws, amount of training volume devoted to certain aspects. Over time, the needs for therapy, training etc. are not the same for college freshman as they are for a 28 y.o. pro. The need to adjust the program for the changing needs of the athlete exists and there might be doubts as to whether the college coach would do so or take the time to carefully evaluate the change in athlete requirements that take place over many years. Also a collegiate coach due to their commitments to their team might not be able to travel with the athlete as frequently as an agent or the sponsor would like to occur.

Also note that shoe companies have long term, successful working relationships with some professional coaches. Nike-John Smith. Though not as long of a relationship, I think most/all of Lance Brauman's people are Adidas athletes.
cladthin