A new queen for the 200m?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

A new queen for the 200m?

Postby pesmerga » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:44 am

Since 2004, Veronica Campbell Brown and Allyson Felix were winning the Olympics and World Championchips in the 200m.

2004 - VCB
2005 - AF
2007 - AF
2008 - VCB
2009 - AF
2011 - VCB
2012 - AF

Now with VCB out of worlds, the chance that someone else might win the gold in this event is getting higher. Look at the competition for Felix: Fraser-Pryce, Ahoure, Okagbare, Duncan and Tarmoh. They are really running well this year and some of them might even beat Felix in this event. Though we have to consider that Felix will focus only in the deuce this year so she might be fitter when she runs the 200 in Moscow. Thoughts?
pesmerga

Re: A new queen for the 200m?

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:54 am

pesmerga wrote:Since 2004, Veronica Campbell Brown and Allyson Felix were winning the Olympics and World Championchips in the 200m.

2004 - VCB
2005 - AF
2007 - AF
2008 - VCB
2009 - AF
2011 - VCB
2012 - AF

Now with VCB out of worlds, the chance that someone else might win the gold in this event is getting higher. Look at the competition for Felix: Fraser-Pryce, Ahoure, Okagbare, Duncan and Townsend. They are really running well this year and some of them might even beat Felix in this event. Though we have to consider that Felix will focus only in the deuce this year so she might be fitter when she runs the 200 in Moscow. Thoughts?

This event has been a puzzler this year. Duncan seems to be tired from a long season, and hopefully will rest. Felix has obviously decided to get some rest from competition, and Fraser-Pryce is not up to 100%. I suspect that Felix and Duncan could smoke the field if 100% fit. Maybe they're holding back or maybe it's time for an African to win.
jeremyp

Postby CookyMonzta » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:53 am

Even if Allyson is taking a hard nap around the turn, if the other girls are not ready to go 22.0x, they can hang it up. None of them are even a blip on the screen compared to the girl who ran 21.69 last year, and only she and Veronica could stand with the women from what I think were the best years in the w200; namely, the early-to-mid-1990s. Gwen Torrence, Irina Privalova, Merlene Ottey, Marie-José Pérec (21.99 in 1993) and even an aging Evelyn Ashford (22.47 at age 35 in 1992*), could beat most of today's girls. For Torrence, Privalova and Ottey, 22.0x and 22.1x were a typical day at the office for them. The real competition for them was when any one of them broke 22.00 (Ottey 16+1w, Torrence 10+2w, Privalova 5+1w).

[*2nd in a race in Linz to 32-year-old Ottey's 22.20. Ottey ran 21.93 at age 35.]
CookyMonzta

Postby run4urlyfe » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Lets not blow things out of proportion here. Ahoure is having a few good runs but Allyson is much better than 22.2 when she is in championship form. While Ahoure is doing wel I think what we are seeing from her is pretty much the best she has got which once again is impressive but wont be able to cut it once the big bosses get into championship shape. As of right now I see SAFP being Felix main threat. Duncan might be in preparation to peak at the right time but still she has been running since Jan so that is why I think she may only be good for Bronze. I think by 2015 she and Felix will be on the same wavelength and things are going to be alot more interesting from then on. It will either force Felix to enter another territory or move up to 400 which will have its own challenges as well. As of right now tho the womens 200 is probably the race(along with womnes 400) that I am most looking forward to at Moscow.
run4urlyfe

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:57 pm

There were three at 22.2/negative wind, and Duncan is probably in prolonged training between Trials and the WCs (rest first, then hard training?). She had wind over the allowable, but the distance between all of the rest of the world and that mark after adjusting everything for wind is rather large, like 0.4 seconds.
26mi235

Postby Athletics » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:45 pm

run4urlyfe wrote:I think by 2015 she and Felix will be on the same wavelength and things are going to be alot more interesting from then on. It will either force Felix to enter another territory or move up to 400 which will have its own challenges as well.

Felix still on top in 2015 when she's 30-years-old? Great optimism to say the least. Very few sprinters in the history of the sport have been at the very top at age 30, and I think that realism will also hit hard on her many fans when time comes.
Athletics

Postby Gabriella » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:43 am

Athletics wrote:Felix still on top in 2015 when she's 30-years-old? Great optimism to say the least. Very few sprinters in the history of the sport have been at the very top at age 30, and I think that realism will also hit hard on her many fans when time comes.

Well, Felix races smart....i.e. she hardly competes at all! This relay run was her first outing since the US Nationals I believe. Last season she hardly raced over 200m at all. Whether more training & less racing = longer career I dont know; it could easily be less training + more racing = less stress on the body, but I'm inclined to believe jetting off all over the globe to race has a more detrimental effect. In the least it means she is training more consistently without missing days here and there or training in unfamiliar tracks and gyms.

Anyway, her volume of races over her career are low compared to many other sprinters so she may well be at the top until she is 30.

Because she has locked herself away since the nationals I assume she has been in heavy training again and not injured, and there is every reason to believe she will come out on top again, especially as she is only running the 200m.

I would like Okagbare to focus on the 200m and LJ (I've not seen the timetable yet though...) as I think 3 events is too mentally exhausting. Depending on that timetable, if the 200m came first she could threaten for the gold because physically she has all the tools and I can imagine her dropping a fast time out of nowhere.

I think Ahoure doubling up weakens her chance of 200m gold and I think 22.2 is probably her level this season.

SAFP is still the one that could threaten Felix based on her 100m PB and how well she ran in London.

I do wonder how much the long season will affect Duncan. I really hope she can do herself justice in Moscow because her win at the nationals was sublime.

Russian championships next week. I doubt we'll see someone emerge capable of challenging for a medal but who knows.
Gabriella

Postby ATK » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 am

Athletics wrote:
run4urlyfe wrote:I think by 2015 she and Felix will be on the same wavelength and things are going to be alot more interesting from then on. It will either force Felix to enter another territory or move up to 400 which will have its own challenges as well.

Felix still on top in 2015 when she's 30-years-old? Great optimism to say the least. Very few sprinters in the history of the sport have been at the very top at age 30, and I think that realism will also hit hard on her many fans when time comes.

Very few athletes have won 3 consecutive world Championships and a subsequent Olympic gold. Felix has been around for a while (and has never had an injury to my knowledge) but it's possible for her to medal through Rio and London.
ATK

Postby aaronk » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:14 pm

ATK wrote:
Athletics wrote:

Very few athletes have won 3 consecutive world Championships and a subsequent Olympic gold. Felix has been around for a while (and has never had an injury to my knowledge) but it's possible for her to medal through Rio and London.

There's too many emerging female sprinters to make Felix a lock....for a Gold....or ANY medal......in 2015 or 2016.
By then, A Scott, K Duncan, E Gardner, B Pierre, J Tarmoh, T Townsend will have 2-3 years more experience....and development....making it that much harder for Felix to dominate. Then you have some very good HS sprinters (K Westbrook, A Washington, M Sant et al) who could develop very fast over the next few years.
I think Felix might be almost exclusively a 400 woman by 2015-16.
aaronk

Postby ATK » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:27 pm

aaronk wrote:
ATK wrote:but it's possible for her to medal through Rio and London.

There's too many emerging female sprinters to make Felix a lock....for a Gold....or ANY medal......in 2015 or 2016.

I'm confused, How did you decipher "lock for gold or any medal" from "possible for her to medal"...?
ATK

Postby shivfan » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:13 am

It's hard to see anybody beating Felix over 200m at Moscow....
shivfan

Postby fourjz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:40 am

shivfan wrote:It's hard to see anybody beating Felix over 200m at Moscow....

True.Allyson is a seasoned veteran now.She got a tap on the shoulder wake up call at Nationals from Kimberlyn Duncan who now has to to get it back together for Moscow after a long collegiate season.Is Shavers still coaching her or someone else ? Shavers will have her ready to go.But Allyson will be ready to go 21.75 or better to win. :wink:
fourjz

Postby ChitoAZX » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:38 am

fourjz wrote:
shivfan wrote:It's hard to see anybody beating Felix over 200m at Moscow....

True.Allyson is a seasoned veteran now.She got a tap on the shoulder wake up call at Nationals from Kimberlyn Duncan who now has to to get it back together for Moscow after a long collegiate season.Is Shavers still coaching her or someone else ? Shavers will have her ready to go.But Allyson will be ready to go 21.75 or better to win. :wink:

I don't think she will run that fast just by looking at the way she ran at the national championships without having run the 100m. I hope she proves me wrong though.
ChitoAZX

Postby jazzcyclist » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:43 am

fourjz wrote:Is Shavers still coaching her?

Yes.
jazzcyclist

Postby The Flying Pigdog » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:48 am

Don't think AF is going into 21.7 territory. But she doesn't have to. If she runs anywhere near 22.0 in legal wind, it will be difficult for any of the other women to match that. And if she is in sub-22 form, you can pretty much give her the gold, unless Okagbare/SAFP/Duncan can really step up. I can't see Ahoure going sub-22 but she could be in the mix for a bronze.
The Flying Pigdog

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:32 am

She runs 21.x at USATF in a race that she did not have to worry too much about (she was not going to be fourth or worse) so she did not have a big peak in training. Aside from Duncan, what other competitor has a 21 to their name. None, nada, zero, zilch, nyet, ...

While her speed has not been honed by racing a lot of 100s at the time of nationals, she has been training since, and she can run 100s in training to her (and coach's) hearts content. She has several of those shinny awards and knows how to win them, and the only one to beat her in the championship races is on the sidelines.
26mi235

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:37 am

26mi235 wrote:She runs 21.x at USATF in a race that she did not have to worry too much about , so she did not have a big peak in training.

Facts not in evidence. It is quite possible she cannot replicate that peak.
That said . . . I don't see anyone beating her. Ahoure and Okagbare could step it up, but that's probably not in the cards.
Marlow

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 am

Marlow wrote:
26mi235 wrote:She runs 21.x at USATF in a race that she did not have to worry too much about , so she did not have a big peak in training.

Facts not in evidence. It is quite possible she cannot replicate that peak.
That said . . . I don't see anyone beating her. Ahoure and Okagbare could step it up, but that's probably not in the cards.

Which fact is not in evidence in a manner that the phrase refers (and future element is not in evidence); so do you think that she (AF) had to be at her peak for the Trials?
26mi235

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:01 am

26mi235 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
26mi235 wrote:so do you think that she (AF) had to be at her peak for the Trials?

Absolutely! There was too much at stake and too many fast women to take any chances. Spearmon was the formchart favorite, ran a decent time and finished 4th.
Marlow

Postby fourjz » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:26 pm

26mi235 wrote:She runs 21.x at USATF in a race that she did not have to worry too much about (she was not going to be fourth or worse) so she did not have a big peak in training. Aside from Duncan, what other competitor has a 21 to their name. None, nada, zero, zilch, nyet, ...

While her speed has not been honed by racing a lot of 100s at the time of nationals, she has been training since, and she can run 100s in training to her (and coach's) hearts content. She has several of those shinny awards and knows how to win them, and the only one to beat her in the championship races is on the sidelines.

True.That's why you have'nt seen her since Nat's.She will be ready to perform at her high level.But since Shavers is still coaching her I believe K.Duncan will be ready to do well. 8-)
fourjz