¶Monaco DL: m1500—Kiprop WL 3:27.72, Farah 3:28.81 NR

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: ¶Monaco DL: m1500—Kiprop WL 3:27.72, Farah 3:28.81 NR

Postby pickle47 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Doing our best to make this an R rated board...
pickle47

Re: Monaco (Herculis) m1500 (Kiprop 3:27.72; Farah 3:28.81 A

Postby mump boy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:42 am

nicest person ever wrote:
Aww fuck it, let's just cut straight to the chase and put him in the 100 dash where we all know he ultimately belongs. I see a 9.4 in this dude easy. Maybe 9.3 with the right conditions.

:lol:

Maybe not

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMIwlQB-28
mump boy

Postby effable » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:59 am

Still in awe of this race. I wonder: is it really posible to run one of the a-t fatest 1500s in your first attempt in five years, and not feel drawn to find out how good you could be in the event?
effable

Postby nicest person ever » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:27 am

effable wrote:Still in awe of this race. I wonder: is it really posible to run one of the a-t fatest 1500s in your first attempt in five years, and not feel drawn to find out how good you could be in the event?

Given that he randomly ran THAT fast, in this random 1500, his first real 1500 attempt in many years, in an event he doesn't even specifically train for, I agree this indicates that he is probably capable of close to a world record (or maybe even breaking it) if he gave this event some serious attention.

That said, I don't think it would necessarily be optimal for him to just straight up switch to being a 1500 guy. As absurd as this result was for him, I think it probably means that in his next fast-pace 5k race he'll end up even higher on that all-time list than he just did on the 1500 list. And if he managed to get a world record in the 5k, that would probably be considered an even stronger/sicker world record to him than getting the 1500 record, by comparison (given how strong Bekele's 5k and 10k records are, or at least were considered to be at the time they were set). Not to mention, in the 5k, Farah is pretty much considered the dominant, #1 dude right now, whereas in the 1500 he'd still have Kiprop in his way, who he might or might not be able to surpass, regardless of whether he gave the 1500 his full attention or not. So medals-wise there is also probably more motivation for him in the longer distances than the 1500 still.

That said, I do think that when you run THAT damned fast, in your first random 1500 run in multiple years, like that, you have at least some responsibility to yourself, and the sanctity of the universe (lol, okay that's not a real thing, but I'm reaching here, lolz), to increase the amount of training/attention you give to the event to at least SOME (even if minor) extent. Like, don't just go back to flat out ignoring it. At the very least, wait till after Moscow, so you don't have to worry about screwing up your 5k training by getting distracted with the 1500, and then AFTER winning your 5k Gold in Moscow, maybe instead of finishing the season running a mix of 5k's and 10k's like usual, instead, finish out the season by running a mixture of 1500's and 5k's this time (and some 3k's too I guess), just to see whether you're better as a 1500/3k/5k type of guy than as a 5k/10k guy. Finding this out would be pretty useful, given that he's still not TOO old yet, so if he figures out that he's better skewing towards 5k-and-under rather than 5k-and-above, it could result in him setting more WR's and getting more gold's than he would've if he didn't take that initial forray into the shorter runs, during the latter part of this season, when its all said and done, as far as the remainder of his career goes.
nicest person ever

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:36 am

lonewolf wrote:
jeremyp wrote:
lonewolf wrote:Is there a link for Monaco?

http://www.bestsportgo.tv/20130718/vv-6 ... 61618.html

Thanks for the link, jeremy.
Although I was never able to overcome the persistent demands to install another download system, subscribe to something, bet on somebody or order a Russian bride, during brief glimpses of the action, I noted http://www.stopsport.com on the screen and was finally able to access the meet...now I just have to learn French, Spanish or whatever the announcers were speaking. :) ,

Yes it's a difficult site for old guys. I had to reboot countless times and this morning my Malware had 15+ red sites to erase. The good thing about watching Track is the language helps but doesn't make it incomprehensible. We all know most of the athletes pretty well. Can someone (younger) tell us why this site worked so well before but now seems difficult, and is there a way around to guarantee getting the English version
jeremyp

Postby Alan Shank » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:28 am

LopenUupunut wrote:
aaronk wrote:Someone on Twitter mused that Farah can get the WR in the 3000!
After this run, I agree!!
(Or at the very least a European record!!)
Nobody touches 7:20.67. It would be interesting to see him try for a WR at 2 miles, though; I'm not convinced he's capable of that either, but at least it would be refreshing :)

Don't forget that even the great El Guerrouj, WR holder in the 1500 and twice conqueror of 5000 WR holder Bekele, could only do 7:23.09 is a set-up record attempt. And prior WR holder Noureddine Morceli did 7:25.11. That 7:20 is a real challenge.

In my view, the two-mile should be ignored.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby tgs3 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:44 am

jeremyp wrote:Yes it's a difficult site for old guys. I had to reboot countless times and this morning my Malware had 15+ red sites to erase. The good thing about watching Track is the language helps but doesn't make it incomprehensible. We all know most of the athletes pretty well. Can someone (younger) tell us why this site worked so well before but now seems difficult, and is there a way around to guarantee getting the English version

I really suggest you go to the trouble of setting up a VPN connection. There's a reasonably simple explanation on how to get a UK VPN here (the username and password are on the site's homepage):

http://www.getukvpn.com/how-to-setup-uk-free-vpn/

Once you set this up and connect, anything from the BBC website can be shown. No pop-ups or malware, it's all in English and they have the iPlayer to view things from the recent past.
tgs3

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:56 am

tgs3 wrote:I really suggest you go to the trouble of setting up a VPN connection. There's a reasonably simple explanation on how to get a UK VPN here (the username and password are on the site's homepage):

Once you set this up and connect, anything from the BBC website can be shown. No pop-ups or malware, it's all in English and they have the iPlayer to view things from the recent past.

Sa-weet! Going to set this up on my laptop for trip to Russia. Had no idea you could get a free VPN without paying in some way or form (gazillions of ads, for instance). Should also be valuable for countries which block a lot of content (Beijing 2015). Thanks!
bruce3404

Postby Alan Shank » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 am

bruce3404 wrote:
tgs3 wrote:I really suggest you go to the trouble of setting up a VPN connection. There's a reasonably simple explanation on how to get a UK VPN here (the username and password are on the site's homepage):

Sa-weet! Going to set this up on my laptop for trip to Russia. Had no idea you could get a free VPN without paying in some way or form (gazillions of ads, for instance). Should also be valuable for countries which block a lot of content (Beijing 2015). Thanks!

I was able to set that up on my Windows 8 laptop OK. Connected and went to whatsmyipaddress, saw 83.xx.xx.xx. I connected to the BBC web page OK. It's a snap!
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Alan Shank wrote:
I was able to set that up on my Windows 8 laptop OK. Connected and went to whatsmyipaddress, saw 83.xx.xx.xx. I connected to the BBC web page OK. It's a snap!
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA

Set up and connection to BBC site was easy enough, but bandwidth on the free server doesn't support watching much of anything. Trying to stream Monaco and getting "insufficient bandwidth" message. Connection speed with my primary server on my PC is a healthy 26Mbps; using VPN on the laptop with wifi set up right next to my router is a puny .08 Mbps. Dumping the VPN and using normal wifi connection on the laptop, I get 24.56 Mbps. I've read elsewhere that this is a typical problem with free VPNs. I guess you get what you pay for.
bruce3404

Postby athleticshushmail » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:07 pm

bruce3404 wrote:
Alan Shank wrote:
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA

Set up and connection to BBC site was easy enough, but bandwidth on the free server doesn't support watching much of anything. Trying to stream Monaco and getting "insufficient bandwidth" message. Connection speed with my primary server on my PC is a healthy 26Mbps; using VPN on the laptop with wifi set up right next to my router is a puny .08 Mbps. Dumping the VPN and using normal wifi connection on the laptop, I get 24.56 Mbps. I've read elsewhere that this is a typical problem with free VPNs. I guess you get what you pay for.

I didn't realize this was an ok topic to talk about on the messageboard. But if you're interested,
http://www.expatvpn.co.uk/ is dirt cheap, no set up required, just click the icon. And all the video will stream perfectly.
athleticshushmail

Postby bruce3404 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:54 pm

Further to this VPN discussion (and I do think it's ok here, since we all want to watch as much T&F as possible), I signed up for a 3 day trial on PureVPN, which was recommended. Cost is $10/mo or $50/yr and they'll give you a 3 day trial for $2.50. I'm now watching BBC One live, with a great picture and sound. The speedtest indicated 6.07Mbps, or 750X faster than the free VPN. They have a pretty brilliant dashboard that allows one to easily switch between numerous servers in 22 different countries, thus allowing for lots of choices for watching meets or hometown TV when you're on the road. The system automatically switches servers within the country you choose if the bandwidth drops dramatically from one server. You can use this service on a smart phone, tablet, laptop or PC and can use two devices at the same time at no additional cost. I know I sound like a shill, but it's pretty impressive while also providing greater security from hackers while on the road. Once my three day trial is over, I'm going for the annual package.
bruce3404

Postby gm » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Not to throw a damper on things, but IIRC if you're watching something that is live on the BBC, you need to have a TV license.
gm

Postby lonewolf » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:56 pm

All that clicking around caused me malware problems too.
lonewolf

Monaco DL: m1500—Kiprop WL 3:27.72, Farah 3:28.81 NR

Postby bobguild76 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Lots of great takeaways from the race and this thread;

1. Farah has amazing range ... in the same class as Geb (1999 WIC @ 1500 w/ a still MR of 3:33) and Said Aouita (T&FN #1 @ 800 - 10k). I think his fitness level, plus the lack of pressure, gave him the perfect storm of a race.

2. He has one of the most elegant, loping strides around. Those around him (Kiprop excluded) seem to be working furiously, while he seems to glide along effortlessly.

3. El G's 1500 & mile records are incredible ... Kiprop would have been 15 meters behind, although probably less if he had El G to chase.

4. Daniel Komen's 3k WR is one of the best on the books. 7 1/2 at sub 58.8! Wow!!

5. Centro gave ground right after 800. I was hoping he would stay with the 3 ahead of him. He's definitely proven his racing chops, so I wonder what Salazar's assessment will be. Plus, Farah now has the 1500 bragging rights in the training group! :D

6. Will the Kenyans get together and go hard from the bell in Moscow? No one beats Kiprop at sub 3:30, but several have a chance at 3:32 or slower.

7. Will anyone push it in the 5k? Soi has excellent finishing speed, and has already beat Farah, so he may not be concerned with the 3:28. But with a 50 sec last lap (admittedly in a slow race), and now this, does anyone think they can beat Farah in a sit and kick?

Bring on the WCs!
bobguild76

Postby aaronk » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Maybe this time will finally put an end.....at least as long as Farah's in the race.......to jog-then-race-a-400-type "races"!!
Maybe we'll have some MR's in the 5 and 10K's at the WC!!
aaronk

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:13 pm

26mi235 wrote:

Neither Geb nor Bekele had very close runs at that 7:20. I suppose that next year would be the time for those experiments (although there are the Commonwealth Games, right?).

Either of these distances--and for Americans, it should be the 2-mile--would be perfect for a mid-summer attempt at Eugene in 2014. Something between European races, Nike runners tapped for the race (Kenyan pacers, Farah & Rupp), good $ incentives, etc. The shorter distance would be nice speed tune-up for nearly every athlete serious about Diamond League, Zurich, Van Damme, etc.

Could be at Pre Classic, but too early for the quality needed.

These are the things that can be attempted/done in non-championship seasons and might help draw attention to the sport.
Brian

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Noting the success of Salazar's athletes--Centro and Farah in the 1500m. plus Farah, Rupp, etc. in the 5,000m., I can't help but wonder if Alan Webb is bald again, having pulled out all of his hair.
Brian

Postby pickle47 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Brian wrote:
26mi235 wrote:

Neither Geb nor Bekele had very close runs at that 7:20. I suppose that next year would be the time for those experiments (although there are the Commonwealth Games, right?).

Either of these distances--and for Americans, it should be the 2-mile--would be perfect for a mid-summer attempt at Eugene in 2014. Something between European races, Nike runners tapped for the race (Kenyan pacers, Farah & Rupp), good $ incentives, etc. The shorter distance would be nice speed tune-up for nearly every athlete serious about Diamond League, Zurich, Van Damme, etc.

Could be at Pre Classic, but too early for the quality needed.

These are the things that can be attempted/done in non-championship seasons and might help draw attention to the sport.

That record's not going down anywhere but Rieti. Seriously.

Also, much as I think Farah is on the level of Geb/Bekele, I just can't quite make the stretch to 7:20 for 3K. I think Farah is on par for the 5k or 10k WRs right now, but the best of the best have shot at that 3k and ... nothin'.

I don't think we really saw the best 5k of Daniel Komen in the late 90's. He was not groomed, trained, and "coddled" the way that Geb, El G, and Beks were. That 3k was the true glimpse of his talent and ability. If Farah can do it, I don't think he will have the opportunity. As someone else pointed out on another thread, who is going to help take him through the 2k in 4:50? Rupp, maybe?
pickle47

Re: Monaco DL: m1500—Kiprop WL 3:27.72, Farah 3:28.81 NR

Postby LopenUupunut » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:01 am

bobguild76 wrote:7. Will anyone push it in the 5k? Soi has excellent finishing speed, and has already beat Farah, so he may not be concerned with the 3:28. But with a 50 sec last lap (admittedly in a slow race), and now this, does anyone think they can beat Farah in a sit and kick?
As opposed to? If anything, I'd take this as an indication that Farah can improve his PBs if necessary and that waiting for the first 4K and hammering the last 1000 isn't an obviously brilliant strategy either...

At this point I'd still pick (for instance) a peak Lagat over Farah at 5K; as great as Mo is, I don't see him running 51.6 at the end of a 13:00. Similarly, the reason Farah won the 10K in London but not in Daegu was that in London none of his opponents ran the last lap in 52.8, not anything he himself did differently; if we discover somebody who can do those things Mo is in trouble.

Who could that be? I have no idea... but then, I didn't see Jeylan doing it in Daegu.
LopenUupunut

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:57 am

Anyone who thinks his 12:53 5000m PR is the best he can do is, I think, sadly mistaken. Sadly, because he is the best distance runner of his mini-generation (i.e., since 2011). He is also a great racer; put him in a race he wants to win that goes in 12:45 and he will win it. Similarly for a 27:40 race. As a few others have noted elsewhere (Canova/LR), I do not think he is going to do a solo WR (solo in the sense of having to run a significant fraction alone).

Salazar has said that Rupp is in comparable condition; he has not said that of late that I know of. However, Rupp ran some monster times indoors, so we will have to see what he brings to the table in the 10,000; the 5000 has the problem that he has to run 10,000/5000/5000. I am guessing that some countries are going to decide to push the 10,000 to have a better chance in the 5000. Kenya does not want to be shut out again, nor Ethiopia.
26mi235

Postby pickle47 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:08 am

26mi235 wrote:I am guessing that some countries are going to decide to push the 10,000 to have a better chance in the 5000. Kenya does not want to be shut out again, nor Ethiopia.

Agree. And hopeful. Would love to see the Kenyans "sacrifice" someone in the 10k.
pickle47

Next