Spikes #3

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Spikes #3

Postby Alan Shank » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:01 pm

We are told the cute little mascot for the WC, will be воробей (sparrow), chosen from more than 200 sketches submitted via Internet. According to his (her?) "dossier", likes the high jump, dislikes the javelin.

"Spikes" is full of "Photoplay-like" thumbnail sketches of athletes. For example, we learn that Mariya Abakumova would like to invite Cameron Diaz, Michael Jackson and Madonna to dinner. Fascinating stuff! >:-)

Ryan Whiting owns a telescope and is interested in astronomy.

There is a list of how many Facebook "friends" the top athletes have. (Guess who has the most?)

Several pages are devoted to Usain Bolt, including a diagram of how the starting blocks caught him in Daegu, and another several to Sally Pearson, including her weekly training schedule (supposedly).

There's a full-page ad for Coca-Cola and the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Then, an interesting double-page spread with various athletes and officials opining on whether Russia has a chance to win the overall medal count. The most optimistic is Svetlyana Feofanova. The general view is that they have little chance to come out on top.

An article on Mariya Savinova and her "chess-playing" tactics.

How to create the ideal athlete: face - Tirunesh Dibaba; brain - Mariya Savinova; left leg - Mo Farah; abs - Jessica Ennis-Hill; hands - Robert Harting; right leg - Anna Chicherova, etc. etc.

An article on Nina Ponomaryeva, the first Soviet Olympic champion. She was born in a Gulag.

I didn't read the first two issues.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Re: Spikes #3

Postby booond » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Alan Shank wrote:We are told the cute little mascot for the WC, will be воробей (sparrow), chosen from more than 200 sketches submitted via Internet. According to his (her?) "dossier", likes the high jump, dislikes the javelin.

"Spikes" is full of "Photoplay-like" thumbnail sketches of athletes. For example, we learn that Mariya Abakumova would like to invite Cameron Diaz, Michael Jackson and Madonna to dinner. Fascinating stuff! >:-)

Ryan Whiting owns a telescope and is interested in astronomy.

There is a list of how many Facebook "friends" the top athletes have. (Guess who has the most?)

Several pages are devoted to Usain Bolt, including a diagram of how the starting blocks caught him in Daegu, and another several to Sally Pearson, including her weekly training schedule (supposedly).

There's a full-page ad for Coca-Cola and the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Then, an interesting double-page spread with various athletes and officials opining on whether Russia has a chance to win the overall medal count. The most optimistic is Svetlyana Feofanova. The general view is that they have little chance to come out on top.

An article on Mariya Savinova and her "chess-playing" tactics.

How to create the ideal athlete: face - Tirunesh Dibaba; brain - Mariya Savinova; left leg - Mo Farah; abs - Jessica Ennis-Hill; hands - Robert Harting; right leg - Anna Chicherova, etc. etc.

An article on Nina Ponomaryeva, the first Soviet Olympic champion. She was born in a Gulag.

I didn't read the first two issues.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA

Will you read issue #4?
booond

Re: Spikes #3

Postby Alan Shank » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:40 pm

booond wrote:Will you read issue #4?

Probably. I am looking at all the Russian-language, athletics-related stuff I can find, to pick up the jargon. I'm going to try to stream the Monaco meet tomorrow on НТВ+ Спорт, for the same reason. WatchAthletics.com had a few videos of DL events with Russian commentators.

BTW, I just saw on WatchAthletics.com than Taoufik Makhloufi is out of the WC due to a viral infection. And, they continue to fall...

Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank