Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby user4 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:52 am

Tuariki wrote:
18.99s wrote:Haha. This 79-year-old lady almost looks better than that over the hurdles: http://www.wcax.com/story/22879163/vt-a ... ords-at-79

The 2 ladies were great. However, if you watch the hurdles training session at about 1 min 50 into the video you will see them training with the hurdles facing the wrong way which could cause a serious injury in a young athlete if the hurdle is hit. With a 79 year old, even though this lady is awesomely fit, it just needs a bad fall at that age to stuff up your body and health completely.


Agree, a 79 year old sprinting over hurdles, right oriented or otherwise, .... is not wise.
user4
 
Posts: 1438
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby mump boy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:45 am

Megas15 wrote:Funny...I didn't hear saying so before she won the Olympic Gold.


Was she asked ?
mump boy
 
Posts: 5636
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: saaaaaarf london

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:51 am

mump boy wrote:
Megas15 wrote:Funny...I didn't hear saying so before she won the Olympic Gold.


Was she asked ?

She wasn't asked this time, she OFFERED!

[IAAF funded athletics comic book, Spikes magazine] asked top hurdlers Sally Pearson and Eilidh Child which athletics rule they’d change if they had the chance, and both said that they should be jumping over bigger hurdles.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 am

How weird that these hurdlers would comment on their own event :shock: :roll:
jjimbojames
 
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:16 am

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:03 am

Be interesting to know how many women will leave the event (high hurdling) if/when they change the heights.
When they went from 80 to 100, did any women quit the sport....or change events?

As I said before, I'm most concerned with the marks/records end of things.
Look at past changes.
When they went to the 100 meters (from 100 yards) on a regular basis (not just in OG), all those 9.1's and 9.2's were left behind to collect dust in a nostalgic's closet!

I know the marks will still be there.....but who really cares anymore about those 100 yards people/marks....or the 80H.....or the old Javelin?
Whole careers thrown down the garbage chute!!

Different thread, but I wish they still ran the 500, 600, and 1000 YARD events indoors!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby Daisy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:12 am

aaronk wrote:Whole careers thrown down the garbage chute!!

I'd argue the opposite. They are remembered as the greats and none have surpassed their records. The ones blown into oblivion are people like Zátopek. A PR of 13.57.2 for the 5000 and 28.54.2 for 10000??!!! The guy is a complete hack, absolutley crap by todays standards.

Fortunately, we don't measure people on times alone. And for that reason it does not matter that those old records gather dust.

Edit: By the way, that GROAT link is a bit of a joke. Pre beats Coe? I don't think so.
Daisy
 
Posts: 13153
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:22 am

Daisy wrote:
aaronk wrote:Whole careers thrown down the garbage chute!!

I'd argue the opposite. They are remembered as the greats and none have surpassed their records. The ones blown into oblivion are people like Zátopek. A PR of 13.57.2 for the 5000 and 28.54.2 for 10000??!!! The guy is a complete hack, absolutley crap by todays standards.

Fortunately we don't measure people on times alone. And for that reason it does not matter that those old records gather dust.

Edit: By the way, that GROAT link is a bit of a joke. Pre beats Coe? I don't think so.


Funny you mentioned Zatopek. Just yesterday, I was looking through my copy of Quercetani's History of Distance Running:1860-2002....and reading (again) about Zatopek, and all the greats.
Most fascinating was seeing how their splits (Q provides lots of K-by-K splits for many 5K and 10K races) got faster and faster through the decades.

Okay, I know the records/athletes would remain what and who they were.
Though using Zatopek (or just the 5K/10K) as your example was off......those distances haven't changed. The distances have been the same since the 1800's (although they ran 3 miles/6 miles a lot then). They didn't move it up from, say, 9000 to 10000!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:49 am

aaronk wrote:Be interesting to know how many women will leave the event (high hurdling) if/when they change the heights.
When they went from 80 to 100, did any women quit the sport....or change events?

As I said before, I'm most concerned with the marks/records end of things.
Look at past changes.
When they went to the 100 meters (from 100 yards) on a regular basis (not just in OG), all those 9.1's and 9.2's were left behind to collect dust in a nostalgic's closet!

I know the marks will still be there.....but who really cares anymore about those 100 yards people/marks....or the 80H.....or the old Javelin?
Whole careers thrown down the garbage chute!!

Different thread, but I wish they still ran the 500, 600, and 1000 YARD events indoors!!

What a load of tripe
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:53 am

26mi235 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Maybe the nature of the event is related to the technical specifications and changing them would alter the competitive make up.

Isn't that the point?


I do not understand this. Are you saying it would be a good thing to make the womans short hurdles a less competitive and less interesting race where the top runners started avoiding each other?

You are making assumptions with no supporting evidence
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:55 am

26mi235 wrote:Again, why in the world you change the event that is widely believed to be the most competitive in track and field and to be the event with the least ducking (by far?). May be the nature of the event is related to the technical specifications and changing them would alter the competitive make up.

Because right now it is not a hurdles race but a 100m with speed bumps
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby pickle47 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:04 am

aaronk wrote:Be interesting to know how many women will leave the event (high hurdling) if/when they change the heights.


Zero. They are hurdlers. There will be no mass exodus. Champions will view this as a way to further distinguish themselves. "I am going to work harder at these higher hurdles than the next lady and get that gold medal I missed last time".

Did pole vaulters quit when the pegs were changed? Did jav throwers quit when knocked down 40' by the redesigned spear? Did 100y dashers quit when they got an extra 9.361 yards to run?
pickle47
 
Posts: 475
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Another perfect day in So Cal

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:07 am

Tuariki wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Again, why in the world you change the event that is widely believed to be the most competitive in track and field and to be the event with the least ducking (by far?). May be the nature of the event is related to the technical specifications and changing them would alter the competitive make up.

Because right now it is not a hurdles race but a 100m with speed bumps


:lol:

Sorta like the steeplechase being a race with a few swimming pools thrown in!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:08 am

pickle47 wrote:
aaronk wrote:Be interesting to know how many women will leave the event (high hurdling) if/when they change the heights.


Zero. They are hurdlers. There will be no mass exodus. Champions will view this as a way to further distinguish themselves. "I am going to work harder at these higher hurdles than the next lady and get that gold medal I missed last time".

Did pole vaulters quit when the pegs were changed? Did jav throwers quit when knocked down 40' by the redesigned spear? Did 100y dashers quit when they got an extra 9.361 yards to run?

The 100 yarders all gave up and retired when it became a distance event
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:13 am

Tuariki wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Again, why in the world you change the event that is widely believed to be the most competitive in track and field and to be the event with the least ducking (by far?). May be the nature of the event is related to the technical specifications and changing them would alter the competitive make up.

Because right now it is not a hurdles race but a 100m with speed bumps

That's not true. Currently it IS a hurdle race, only that the level of difficulty might not be enough; but make no mistake, it's still a skill. And, as someone pointed out earlier in this thread: the top women run over 36" hurdles in practice right now (hell, I've seen some over 39"). The game won't change; you'll just be creating barriers to entry for the same lesser athletes who think their technique over hurdles 3" lower will translate to the 36". It won't. It will be harder for them to maintain what little speed they have, for the ones who aren't fast, to carry them for 3 steps between hurdles.

The issue: is not the hurdles height or that sprinters can run over them, it's that too many countries are not developing their athletes to be competitive on a global stage. If you have a 13.1 hurdler, maybe you need to move her up the 400m hurdles. If you have an 11.4 sprinter maybe you need to convert her to the long jump or the 400m. If you don't have any sub-13's or sub-11.10's why are you not asking why? The sport has a development problem, and it's that unequal development that is leading to a sport where 90% of the countries can barely qualify for globals.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:17 am

aaronk wrote:
Tuariki wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Again, why in the world you change the event that is widely believed to be the most competitive in track and field and to be the event with the least ducking (by far?). May be the nature of the event is related to the technical specifications and changing them would alter the competitive make up.

Because right now it is not a hurdles race but a 100m with speed bumps


:lol:

Sorta like the steeplechase being a race with a few swimming pools thrown in!!

Something else for Michael Phelps to win
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:25 am

Tuariki wrote:
26mi235 wrote:
Marlow wrote:
26mi235 wrote:Maybe the nature of the event is related to the technical specifications and changing them would alter the competitive make up.

Isn't that the point?


I do not understand this. Are you saying it would be a good thing to make the womans short hurdles a less competitive and less interesting race where the top runners started avoiding each other?

You are making assumptions with no supporting evidence


It is no assumption to say that it is the most competitive event with the history of having the least ducking.

Do you think it would make the event more competitive? Certainly a larger constraint would remove more people at the top of the performance level than would be added. Casual observation of the mens hurdles will indicate what having the tougher standard does to the very top level. In the mens hurdles, the event is less deep at the top than the womens event and that has probably been the case in virtually every year, whereas in most (almost all?) other events the mens field at the top is deeper in most years. Now explain why changing the hurdles would change this. You guys have spent pages talking about the topic and essentially not a word about this side of it other than to say that my comments are mere assumptions.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16333
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby justrunfast » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:28 am

pickle47 wrote:
aaronk wrote:Be interesting to know how many women will leave the event (high hurdling) if/when they change the heights.


Zero. They are hurdlers. There will be no mass exodus. Champions will view this as a way to further distinguish themselves. "I am going to work harder at these higher hurdles than the next lady and get that gold medal I missed last time".

Did pole vaulters quit when the pegs were changed? Did jav throwers quit when knocked down 40' by the redesigned spear? Did 100y dashers quit when they got an extra 9.361 yards to run?


Exactly this, there must be some hurdle coaches on here.....I have seen top class girls and guys go over higher hurdles full flights. Its not as if Technically efficient girls running 12.8-13.0 are going to start ruling the event and kicking people like Pearson, Rollins, Harper-Nelson, Jones, Wells butts it just wont happen.

In terms of the 100H no matter what Speed will ALWAYS win whether it be speed in between the hurdles, speed of the trail leg coming through or speed of the lead leg touching down off the hurdle. Be as technically efficient as you want but if you cant do any of these variables fast you arent winning anything.

Put the hurdles up the girls who aren't doing these things fast will get worse Pearson isn't silly :lol:
justrunfast
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: Sally Pearson wants sprint hurdles to go higher !!

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:34 am

26mi235 wrote:
Tuariki wrote:You are making assumptions with no supporting evidence


It is no assumption to say that it is the most competitive event with the history of having the least ducking.

Do you think it would make the event more competitive? Certainly a larger constraint would remove more people at the top of the performance level than would be added. Casual observation of the mens hurdles will indicate what having the tougher standard does to the very top level. In the mens hurdles, the event is less deep at the top than the womens event and that has probably been the case in virtually every year, whereas in most (almost all?) other events the mens field at the top is deeper in most years. Now explain why changing the hurdles would change this. You guys have spent pages talking about the topic and essentially not a word about this side of it other than to say that my comments are mere assumptions.

The reason the top sprinters avoid each other is simply money. The public don't give a toss about hurdles. Their interest is in the fastest man/woman on the planet
Tuariki
 
Posts: 1300
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 pm
Location: Rohe o Te Whanau a Apanui

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests