Moscow: Yohan Blake confirmed out.

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Moscow: Yohan Blake confirmed out.

Postby toyracer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:51 pm

RJR Sports just ran a story confirming that Yohan Blake has pulled out of the Moscow WC due to a hamstring injury.
toyracer

Re: Moscow: Yohan Blake confirmed out.

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:54 pm

Wow.

So who are we tuning in to watch, again?

No wonder Bolt has publically stated he'd like to try for a World Record. The IAAF needs SOMETHING to keep the public interested (and sell stuff).
Brian

Postby betterthanb4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Not surprised. I wish him a speedy recovery.
betterthanb4

Postby norunner » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Brian wrote:Wow.

No wonder Bolt has publically stated he'd like to try for a World Record. The IAAF needs SOMETHING to keep the public interested (and sell stuff).
What an insult to all the other athletes in Moscow. Are you seriously reducing T&F to Bolt, Blake and Rudisha ?
I'm watching James vs. Merritt, Farah vs. Africa, Bondarenko vs. Barshim, Lavillenie vs. the germans and so much more.
norunner

Postby gh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:27 pm

so, does a Jamaica sans Blake and Powell beat a U.S. 4x1 that's minus Gay and Bailey?

I'm thinking the Bob Hayes Theorem comes into play.
gh

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:38 pm

norunner wrote:

What an insult to all the other athletes in Moscow. Are you seriously reducing T&F to Bolt, Blake and Rudisha ?
I'm watching James vs. Merritt, Farah vs. Africa, Bondarenko vs. Barshim, Lavillenie vs. the germans and so much more.[/quote]

Actually, I was tongue-in-cheek speaking about the 100 meters, as that's the event in which Bolt spoke of attempting to break the WR. But as far as the TV networks are concerned, that might indeed be the prevailing opinion.

Myself, even with all the main characters present, I still would have picked the James/Merritt one-year delayed showdown as the "can't miss" event of Moscow.
Brian

Postby DentyCracker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:57 pm

silver curse strikes again.
DentyCracker

Postby Megas15 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Very wise decision by Mr. Blake...
Megas15

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Brian wrote:Myself, even with all the main characters present, I still would have picked the James/Merritt one-year delayed showdown as the "can't miss" event of Moscow.

No, no, no! It's Defar vs. Dibaba in whichever event(s) they face each other! >:-)

With the M 100-meter finalists from London dropping like flies (Blake, Gay, Bailey and Powell are out), maybe not so much TV time will be devoted to the race, leaving more time for other events. But, knowing NBC, probably not; they will simply focus more intensely on Bolt.

Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:13 pm

gh wrote:so, does a Jamaica sans Blake and Powell beat a U.S. 4x1 that's minus Gay and Bailey?

Requesting a reminder of this, please?
Brian

Postby gh » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:25 pm

When the U.S. won the 4x1 in Tokyo in '64, with Hayes running an eye-dropping anchor, one of the French sprinters said to another of the Americans, "you don't have anything but Hayes," and the U.S. guy (Paul Drayton?) responded, "That's all we need, baby."
gh

Postby norunner » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:32 pm

gh wrote:so, does a Jamaica sans Blake and Powell beat a U.S. 4x1 that's minus Gay and Bailey?

Moscow is still a couple of weeks away, a few more "revelations" and Japan, Great Britain or Trinidad are gonna be the 4x1 favourites.
norunner

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:48 pm

Jamaica's still the favorite in the 4x1. The racers club alone provides enough fire power to outclass the USA.
batonless relay

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm

gh wrote:When the U.S. won the 4x1 in Tokyo in '64, with Hayes running an eye-dropping anchor, one of the French sprinters said to another of the Americans, "you don't have anything but Hayes," and the U.S. guy (Paul Drayton?) responded, "That's all we need, baby."

Yes, remember hearing/reading that now. Thank you.

The Google search only gave me James Robert Hayes/method for solving the Pythagorean Theorem.
Brian

Postby KDFINE » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:04 pm

Go Kim Collins!
KDFINE

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:09 pm

KDFINE wrote:Go Kim Collins!

...Except St. Kitt's (and Nevis) is threatening a boycott.

[See front page.]
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Oops!

And other Current Events thread.
Brian

Postby Weights&Shoes » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:21 pm

Damn.
Weights&Shoes

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:34 pm

Brian wrote:
norunner wrote:

I'm watching James vs. Merritt, Farah vs. Africa, Bondarenko vs. Barshim, Lavillenie vs. the germans and so much more.

Actually, I was tongue-in-cheek speaking about the 100 meters, as that's the event in which Bolt spoke of attempting to break the WR. But as far as the TV networks are concerned, that might indeed be the prevailing opinion.[/quote]

Hmm.

Special 30-minute live coverage of the mens 200 meters.

Soooo...what do you think?
Brian

Postby t_monk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:43 pm

King James vs Merritt....

800m field wide open....

What Felix has up her sleeves in the 200.... She has been silent since Trials.....

Will the collegians/newly minted pro's perform as per trials?

If the AK49 will FINALLY get that gold.....

Will the Russian 4x400 women team get it together.....

Men's HJ.... Two over 2.40? And if so how high can they go?

Triple Jump gold goes to Cuba?
t_monk

Postby Fortius19 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:50 pm

I thought Blake may call it. Haven't seem him do much since April.

(Before last week) I was holding onto the chance, no matter how slim, that Gay, or even Powell, might win Gold!

I like Bolt, but I would like an upset better. :P
Fortius19

Postby Bob Duncan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:01 pm

Women's 1500, of course. I'm saying this to deflect the rubber chickens which would be thrown at you-know-who.
Bob Duncan

Postby tm71 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:56 pm

There are plenty of other events. Track and field isn't a one trick pony !
tm71

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:02 pm

tm71 wrote:There are plenty of other events. Track and field isn't a one trick pony !

Unfortunately, for the vast, unwashed masses of TV slaves, it pretty much is.
They literally don't know what they're missing. Too bad.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby jamal00005 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:17 pm

t_monk wrote:King James vs Merritt....

800m field wide open....

What Felix has up her sleeves in the 200.... She has been silent since Trials.....

Will the collegians/newly minted pro's perform as per trials?

If the AK49 will FINALLY get that gold.....

Will the Russian 4x400 women team get it together.....

Men's HJ.... Two over 2.40? And if so how high can they go?

Triple Jump gold goes to Cuba?

My sentiments exactly!!! Womens 100m ....LJ and Dibaba vs Defar and I'm backing Dibaba!!!
Mens & womens 4x100 Relays will be equally as good. Mens 110m hurdles ??? Will Harper handle Rollins ???? .Will the women suprise Hejnova or will she be just too good ??? I think these champs will be one of the best imo
jamal00005

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:20 pm

tm71 wrote:

There are plenty of other events. Track and field isn't a one trick pony !

I know that. See my other post above.

Glad to see Alan gets it.
[Loved "vast, unwashed masses of TV slaves", BTW.]
Last edited by Brian on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Brian wrote:
KDFINE wrote:Go Kim Collins!

...Except St. Kitt's (and Nevis) is threatening a boycott.

[See front page.]

According to front page & other thread, it looks official now, they will compete.

[But Collins not named to team, anyway.]
Last edited by Brian on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Bob Duncan wrote:Women's 1500, of course.

Most definitely.

But what would have been fun: A defending world champion back with the coach that helped her get her that title...

[Cue Peter Townsend guitars in background:]

"Outside the house Mr. Simpson announced
That Jenny was off to the meeting."

[Americans, ask a Brit, if necessary.]
Last edited by Brian on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:18 pm

gh wrote:When the U.S. won the 4x1 in Tokyo in '64, with Hayes running an eye-dropping anchor, one of the French sprinters said to another of the Americans, "you don't have anything but Hayes," and the U.S. guy (Paul Drayton?) responded, "That's all we need, baby."

It was Drayton.
JumboElliott

Postby Tuariki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:11 pm

As a kiwi I am happy to stick with the tried and true - and the surest thing going. Even more sure than the America's Cup returning to the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland in October. Go Val !!
Tuariki

Postby croflash » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 pm

Alan Shank wrote:
tm71 wrote:There are plenty of other events. Track and field isn't a one trick pony !

Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA

When it comes right down to it, even on this board plenty of posters seem to care about the sprints only and nothing else.
croflash

Postby aaronk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:28 pm

croflash wrote:
Alan Shank wrote:

Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA

When it comes right down to it, even on this board plenty of posters seem to care about the sprints only and nothing else.

Except that this year, it seems the sprints are being decimated the most....either through drug stuff, injuries, a general state of unfitness, or various other reasons.

VCB, Gay, Powell, S Simpson, Blake, Demus, SRR, K Carter, Pearson, A Merritt, Rudisha.

I included Rudisha, even though the 800 isn't technically a sprint, and people like Demus, Pearson, and Merritt....because they still haven't reached top form...and are looking somewhat doubtful for medals.....especially gold or silver!!
aaronk

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:36 pm

Tuariki wrote:As a kiwi I am happy to stick with the tried and true - and the surest thing going. Even more sure than the America's Cup returning to the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland in October. Go Val !!

But!!

You also have the Robertson boys dropping their times in the 5,000 meters. Zane, in fact, nearly got Quax's NR with his 13:13.83 at Belgium. [If memory serves, Quax still has it--?]

Granted, these two are probably one more Worlds away from being legit medal contenders. But still fun to watch for a possible big meet improvement, no? Especially after a distance draught comparable to the USA's.
Brian

Postby Tuariki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:47 pm

Brian wrote:
Tuariki wrote:As a kiwi I am happy to stick with the tried and true - and the surest thing going. Even more sure than the America's Cup returning to the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland in October. Go Val !!

But!!

You also have the Robertson boys dropping their times in the 5,000 meters. Zane, in fact, nearly got Quax's NR with his 13:13.83 at Belgium. [If memory serves, Quax still has it--?]

Granted, these two are probably one more Worlds away from being legit medal contenders. But still fun to watch for a possible big meet improvement, no? Especially after a distance draught comparable to the USA's.

Adrian Blincoe 13:10.19 in Heusden in 2008. I belong to the same gym as Adrian's grandfather.
Tuariki

Postby jlt » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:51 pm

Brian wrote:

But!!

"....probably one more Worlds away from being legit medal contenders". Sorry man they're a lot further away than that. I'm not sure you appreciate just how good (and how fast on the last lap) the medal contenders are. There haven't been many medallists who aren't effectively 12:55 guys. There's probably 8-10 of them in most finals.....
jlt

Postby Tuariki » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:00 am

jlt wrote:
Brian wrote:

But!!

"....probably one more Worlds away from being legit medal contenders". Sorry man they're a lot further away than that. I'm not sure you appreciate just how good (and how fast on the last lap) the medal contenders are. There haven't been many medallists who aren't effectively 12:55 guys. There's probably 8-10 of them in most finals.....

I wish I could disagree with you but you are probably being overly generous actually. The 166th faster 5000m runner all-time has done 13:07.27. That's where the IAAF list finishes.

But at least Zane can enjoy the moment of being faster this year than Mo Farah.
Tuariki

Postby shivfan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:51 am

'Cubie Seegobin, Blake's agent, confirmed his withdrawal yesterday, saying in a statement the decision "was made after continual assessment and re-evaluations since his withdrawal from the Jamaican Senior Championships" in June. The decision also confirmed a story that was first carried by the Jamaica Observer two weeks ago, which Blake's management rubbished as being unfounded. The release also said: "Yohan has made vast improvement, although the injury sustained in April of this year has prevented him from attaining the necessary fitness levels that we have grown accustomed to seeing in his competition performances." Meanwhile, Jamaica could still field four men in the 100m in Moscow and this could now open the door and for Nesta Carter who was fourth at the National Trials in June. With Blake unable to take up the bye, Bolt, the Diamond League champion last year, could be given the bye by the JAAA thus making way for the additional runner.'

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Bl ... z2ZILi98MC
shivfan