'St Kitts athletes threaten to boycott World Champs'

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

'St Kitts athletes threaten to boycott World Champs'

Postby betterthanb4 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:49 pm

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=46508

"With twenty six days to go before the start of the biggest track and field event this year, athletes and administrators from the tiny eastern Caribbean island are currently at loggerheads after the governing body - the St Kitts and Nevis Amateur Athletics Association (SKNAAA)- demanded that athletes pay over 20 percent of their earnings and bonuses from the August 10 - 18 championships.

One coach, who asked not to be identified, told The Gleaner that the disputed contract was offered to the athletes on July 2, 2013 and that the athletes, who are prepared to sit out the World Championships, consider the proposal to be unfair."
betterthanb4

Re: 'St Kitts athletes threaten to boycott World Champs'

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Such is the smalltown mentality of down-island bureaucrats. I mean, how do they expect to make waves, so to speak, when there's so little surf down their way. At least T & T and Grenada appreciate their great good fortune to host such talent. And Puerto Rico is in a class all its own.

BTW, when's the last time some second-tier athlete from the US has resorted to (re)claiming US Virgin Island citizenship to make it to the Olympics?
Jackaloupe

Postby toyracer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:00 am

SKNAAA is ... I actually don't know what to say. First, the situation with Kim Collins, now this. It's as if they are deliberately finding ways to turn their athletes against them.
toyracer

Postby betterthanb4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:53 pm

I guess they didn't learn from the situation with Kim Collins last year. A complete mess.
betterthanb4

Postby JumboElliott » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:26 pm

And USATF is bad..
JumboElliott

Postby tm71 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:14 pm

betterthanb4 wrote:I guess they didn't learn from the situation with Kim Collins last year. A complete mess.

Article on TFN top headlines reports that collins wasnt selected on the SKN team because "he didn't meet their selection criteria". I guess one of the criteria must have been kissing the bureaucrats butts !
tm71

Postby betterthanb4 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:27 pm

tm71 wrote:
betterthanb4 wrote:I guess they didn't learn from the situation with Kim Collins last year. A complete mess.

Article on TFN top headlines reports that collins wasnt selected on the SKN team because "he didn't meet their selection criteria". I guess one of the criteria must have been kissing the bureaucrats butts !

SKNAAA is full of Sh*t. 9.9's 2x a new PB & NR yet he didn't meet their criteria? They are displaying vindictive action towards Collins by keeping him off the team. As for the other SKN athletes it's a shame that they subsequently had to kiss 'bureaucratic butts' in order to compete In Moscow by forking over 20% .
betterthanb4

Postby aaronk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:38 pm

St Kitts leaving Kim Collins off their team is akin to the USA leaving Tyson Gay off..........

Oh, wait a minute!!! :shock: :P
aaronk

Postby CookyMonzta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:52 pm

betterthanb4 wrote:SKNAAA is full of Sh*t. 9.9's 2x a new PB & NR yet he didn't meet their criteria? They are displaying vindictive action towards Collins by keeping him off the team. As for the other SKN athletes it's a shame that they subsequently had to kiss 'bureaucratic butts' in order to compete In Moscow by forking over 20% .

They may have just guaranteed that he will go island-hopping before this year is out. Trinidad, Grenada, Barbados, maybe the Caymans perhaps? If he stays healthy for the next 3 years and doesn't get (caught) dirty, he'll likely set a masters' WR (10.29, Troy Douglas, 2003 at age 40) in another country's uniform in Rio, and he might still be fast enough to run on their relay.

If TCU ever has an opening for a sprint coaching job, they will probably look him up; preferably after Rio 2016.

If I were the rest of the St. Kitts team, I'd show solidarity for Kim Collins and call the federation's bluff and stay home, every last one of them. If Kim doesn't go, they all won't go; and if the scabs they want to send in their place also say no, all eyes of the world will turn toward this island, and the federation will have a major embarrassment on their hands, one of their own creation.
CookyMonzta

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm

* To be eligible for selection, athletes must participate in the SKNAAA 2013 National Championships or must have received an exemption from the SKNAAA Executive Body upon receipt of a written request for a waiver one (1) month prior to the National XC.

* The SKNAAA Executive through its selection committee reserves the right to determine the final team and its size.

Qualified athletes must also sign the SKNAAA’s Team Code of Conduct and participation Contract for final selection.

I guess that the AAA is Amateur Athletics Association...
26mi235

Postby shivfan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:02 am

CookyMonzta wrote:
betterthanb4 wrote:SKNAAA is full of Sh*t. 9.9's 2x a new PB & NR yet he didn't meet their criteria? They are displaying vindictive action towards Collins by keeping him off the team. As for the other SKN athletes it's a shame that they subsequently had to kiss 'bureaucratic butts' in order to compete In Moscow by forking over 20% .

They may have just guaranteed that he will go island-hopping before this year is out. Trinidad, Grenada, Barbados, maybe the Caymans perhaps? If he stays healthy for the next 3 years and doesn't get (caught) dirty, he'll likely set a masters' WR (10.29, Troy Douglas, 2003 at age 40) in another country's uniform in Rio, and he might still be fast enough to run on their relay.

If TCU ever has an opening for a sprint coaching job, they will probably look him up; preferably after Rio 2016.

If I were the rest of the St. Kitts team, I'd show solidarity for Kim Collins and call the federation's bluff and stay home, every last one of them. If Kim doesn't go, they all won't go; and if the scabs they want to send in their place also say no, all eyes of the world will turn toward this island, and the federation will have a major embarrassment on their hands, one of their own creation.

Kim Collins's wife and coach is Jamaican, and that's where they're currently based....

Collins doesn't need to represent anyone at the World Champs. He can go on running at DL meets for the rest of his career. We only have to listen to the cheers whenever his name is announced that he already has a name that's a pull-factor.
shivfan

Postby DCSIGMA » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:56 am

Jackaloupe wrote:
BTW, when's the last time some second-tier athlete from the US has resorted to (re)claiming US Virgin Island citizenship to make it to the Olympics?

Eddie Lovett is competing for the US Virgin Island now...
DCSIGMA