powerflop women

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

powerflop women

Postby nielsalofsen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Hi,

I'm looking into the technique of the powerflop for high jump and was wondering which female jumpers are good examples for this technique. Can somebody enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!

Niels
nielsalofsen

Re: powerflop women

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm

nielsalofsen wrote:Hi,
I'm looking into the technique of the powerflop for high jump and was wondering which female jumpers are good examples for this technique. Can somebody enlighten me?
Thanks in advance!
Niels

Not sure that distinction exists as clearly as it does for men. There's no wSpeedFloppers like Holm/Noji, nor wPowerFloppers like Paklin/Thranhardt. Generally speaking the Power Flopper has a shorter appraoch and a much more pronounced double-arm swing. The women who prematurely raise the inside arm (many Euro-types) are the speed jumpers, so just look at the ones who put both arms behind them on the penultimate stride like Barrett.
Marlow

Postby Per Andersen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:51 pm

Marlow wrote:
nielsalofsen wrote:Hi,
Thanks in advance!
Niels

Not sure that distinction exists as clearly as it does for men. There's no wSpeedFloppers like Holm/Noji, nor wPowerFloppers like Paklin/Thranhardt. Generally speaking the Power Flopper has a shorter appraoch and a much more pronounced double-arm swing. The women who prematurely raise the inside arm (many Euro-types) are the speed jumpers, so just look at the ones who put both arms behind them on the penultimate stride like Barrett.

Even for men I think the distinction became less clear. Soto, faster than anybody, power or speed jumper? Probably both. Bondarenko. What is he? Arm movements very much like Holm and with terrific speed into the take-off. Doubt the distinction is very useful anymore.

Anyway, take a look at the girls winner in Donetsk, Eleanor Patterson from Australia. She does a "half Hestrie Cloete" . The inside arm windmilling over her head going into the take-off. Truly bizarre.
Per Andersen

Postby AS » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:50 am

The "truly bizarre" style seems to be working for Eleanor Patterson. She just equalled the world Youth HJ record (and shattered much of the Aussie record book) with 1.96:

http://www.athletics.com.au/home/news/n ... ords_a_ple

It's the highest jumping by an Aussie woman in almost 20 years (she's =3 all time):

1.98 Vanessa (Browne) Ward 12 Feb 89
1.98 Alison Inverarity 17 Jul 94
1.96 Chris (Annison) Stanton 26 Jan 85
AS

Postby Marlow » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:42 am

AS wrote:The "truly bizarre" style seems to be working for Eleanor Patterson.

Her windmill approach, while idiosyncratic, is probably not unhelpful. Certainly gets the inside arm-speed hap'nin! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHxOV424erE
Marlow

Postby gh » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:32 am

thread from a decade ago about the windmilling Hestrie Cloete

viewtopic.php?t=2380
gh

Postby AS » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:54 am

AS

Postby El Toro » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:22 am

Might need to go via google if not a subscriber eleanor-patterson-best-high-jump-prospect-in-30-years
El Toro

Postby AS » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:07 am

El Toro wrote:

Might need to go via google if not a subscriber eleanor-patterson-best-high-jump-prospect-in-30-years

The joys of a Murdoch "newspaper"...
AS