Sanya Out for Rest of Year With Stress Fracture?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Sanya Out for Rest of Year With Stress Fracture?

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:54 am

She's just tweeted that she has a stress fracture of the toe, brought on by excessive trauma !!

Sanya Richards-Ross ‏@SanyaRichiRoss 5m
Found out I may have a "stress fracture" in my big toe from excessive trauma. Hoping I will b able 2 recover for the end of the season (cont

..but working with my doctors to make the best decision for my career. I love running and I'm not done yet #MissionGetHealthyAndBackToMyBest
mump boy

Re: Sanya Out for Rest of Year With Stress Fracture

Postby betterthanb4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 am

:( I wish her a speedy recovery.
betterthanb4

Postby ATK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:05 am

Yea hopefully she is able to recover quick and prepare for Beijing in 2015 and possibly follow up in Rio.
ATK

Postby t_monk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:14 am

Well I didn't expect her to really factor this year really. Hope she gets well soon. She will have the rest of this year and all of next year to find her best
t_monk

Postby ATK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:24 am

On thing she can also consider is that next year, the DL winner gets a wild card for 2015.
ATK

Postby Pego » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:32 am

She was treated for quite some time for Behcet's syndrome. That treatment is corticosteroids. They may cause osteoporosis. One tends to wonder...
Pego

Postby EJStantonIntl » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:13 pm

ATK wrote:Yea hopefully she is able to recover quick and prepare for Beijing in 2015 and possibly follow up in Rio.

20 bucks she's pregnant by New Years.
EJStantonIntl

Postby ATK » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:15 pm

EJStantonIntl wrote:
ATK wrote:Yea hopefully she is able to recover quick and prepare for Beijing in 2015 and possibly follow up in Rio.

I think in an interview before USA's (or maybe Pre or NY) she said she wants to make it through Rio before having kids.
ATK

Postby EJStantonIntl » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:17 pm

ATK wrote:
EJStantonIntl wrote:

I think in an interview before USA's (or maybe Pre or NY) she said she wants to make it through Rio before having kids.

I saw that same interview, before Pre. That was her plan until she lost this year. She's got a whole season out now, a down year next year.... tick tock goes the bio clock, that's all I'm saying.
EJStantonIntl

Re: Sanya Out for Rest of Year With Stress Fracture?

Postby mcgato » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:48 pm

Kind of weird. She won gold last year in the 400 and 4x4, then she has surgery to repair her toe. This year the toe never responds, and then gets a stress fracture. I hope that everyone understood the risks of the surgery, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. I hope that she does recover and get back to where she was.
mcgato

Postby Master Po » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 am

^ I hope so as well. If she does return to form -- as in, running sub-50 & being in the 2015 WC final and/or the 2016 OG final -- it would be a great story. Just to come back to sub-50 would in itself be a great story. A quick scan of the all-time 400m list shows (assuming I counted right) 75 women who have run sub-50. Hardly any of them ran that fast at age 30 or older. Kratochvilova is the prominent example, but behind her on the all-time list, there are few others to have run so fast so "old." In a quick scan of the records of these 75, I counted just 8 who broke 50, at age 30 or older. So, it can be done, but it is rare.

Pego's note about the effects on bone density of corticosteroids is pertinent, I think. Moreover, there is simply the duration of the career and the effects of the training stress: SRR has been competing on the national level, starting with Youth/Jr/etc., since 1999 -- inclusive of this year, that's 15 seasons. Internationally, she has competed in some championship event (WJC, WC, WIC, OG, WAF, World Cup) every year from 2002 through 2012 (except 2010). That is a lot of 200s & 400s, a lot of high intensity work.

I would love to see her come back. She is a favorite, and, imo a great representative of the sport. But this is also how the ends of careers begin -- a surgery or an injury doesn't heal quite right or quite fast enough, etc. But I am hoping she does come back.
Master Po

Postby fasttrack85 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 am

The good thing for Sanya is that if she never makes a comeback she has the ultimate prize an athlete could ever want an Olympic gold(and a world champs gold). This would have been a tragedy had she not gotten gold in London but from here on out anything she does well is icing on the cake. Maybe she could try the 100 and 200 next season?
fasttrack85

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:49 pm

mcgato wrote:Kind of weird. She won gold last year in the 400 and 4x4, then she has surgery to repair her toe. This year the toe never responds, and then gets a stress fracture. I hope that everyone understood the risks of the surgery, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all. I hope that she does recover and get back to where she was.

Surgery on big toe joint ended John Trautman's career.
Bruce Kritzler