One of the best centre-half goals I've ever seen...

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

One of the best centre-half goals I've ever seen...

Postby Vielleicht » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:10 am

Vielleicht

Re: One of the best centre-half goals I've ever seen...

Postby Marlow » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:43 am

Who has the presence of mind to look 70 yards down-field, see the keeper out and nail a ball over his head??!!
Give that guy an NFL place-kicking contract!!
Marlow

Postby dukehjsteve » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:11 am

And the Goalie gets sent to the minors...
dukehjsteve

Postby Vielleicht » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 am

Marlow wrote:Who has the presence of mind to look 70 yards down-field, see the keeper out and nail a ball over his head??!!
Give that guy an NFL place-kicking contract!!

And also the audacity to shake off two advancing forwards with one feint, although this kind of boldness more often than not results in disasters :D
Vielleicht

Postby gh » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:20 pm

the most memorable thing for me is that a Brit paper reported it as " 70 yards out"; isn't reporting in non-metric measure in put-down-the-US-for-using-it Britain like a capital offense?

Note to self: mark this down for resuscitation the next time some self-righteous "join the modern world" post pops up.
gh

Postby CookyMonzta » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Shhhhweeeeeet! :twisted:

If that had happened at the Confeds, the Euros or the World Cup, I would have been tempted to send the goalie home by bus or by boat (garbage scow, perhaps; no 1st-class for him)! :mrgreen:
Last edited by CookyMonzta on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CookyMonzta

Postby Marlow » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 pm

gh wrote:the most memorable thing for me is that a Brit paper reported it as " 70 yards out"; isn't reporting in non-metric measure in put-down-the-US-for-using-it Britain like a capital offense?
Note to self: mark this down for resuscitation the next time some self-righteous "join the modern world" post pops up.

I know you're being facetious, but Association Football always was, is, and ever shall be in yards. The goal box is 6 yards, the penalty area is 18 yards and the penalty spot is 12 yards and you have to give 10 yards to a free-kick taker. Euro-types try to give that in meters, but It's just wrong. :twisted:
Marlow

Postby usafa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 pm

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:the most memorable thing for me is that a Brit paper reported it as " 70 yards out"; isn't reporting in non-metric measure in put-down-the-US-for-using-it Britain like a capital offense?

I know you're being facetious, but Association Football always was, is, and ever shall be in yards. The goal box is 6 yards, the penalty area is 18 yards and the penalty spot is 12 yards and you have to give 10 yards to a free-kick taker. Euro-types try to give that in meters, but It's just wrong. :twisted:

First thing came to mind when I read the post... its all yards :D.
usafa

Postby gh » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Marlow wrote:

I wasn't being remotely facetious.

If a Brit can accept without blinking that "Association Football always was, is, and ever shall be in yards" then they also need to accept that everday American life falls under the same rubric.
gh

Postby az2004 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:57 am

I've seen pele do the same thing back in his day
az2004

Postby Jackaloupe » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:25 am

I know you're being facetious, but Association Football always was, is, and ever shall be in yards. The goal box is 6 yards, the penalty area is 18 yards and the penalty spot is 12 yards and you have to give 10 yards to a free-kick taker

Aside from traditional usage, ever try to pace off distances in meters?!? Not that all Refs bother, as the "Wall" is often only ~9 yards away, to say nothing of single defensive players facing an upfield Free Kick getting as close as 5-6 yds. The latter is a matter of judging his (or her) effect on the play, or whether the Kicker calls for a ruling.

'ad', I saw Pele try that in Mexico 70, in a Group game in Guadalajara. That was where the Brazilian team was wisely lodged outside the city, with a practice field literally nextdoor, while the clueless Brits were ensconced in the downtown Hilton. They couldn't have gotten much pregame rest as partisan crowds (Mexicans loved Brazil, esp. that "classic" team) took up the "Brazil! Brazil!" chant, punctuated by "Bam, Bam, Bam" drumbeats all night long.
In the stands, the x-rated FaceOffs between fans did go to the Brits, who had some classic gestures "in hand", so to speak, that sheltered Mexicans just hadn't been "exposed" to. They were pretty much limited to the familiar "Tu Madre..." genre.
Jackaloupe