Bowerman awards 2013

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Bowerman awards 2013

Postby Tuariki » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:39 pm

Male nominees for the best US collegiate athlete - all foreigners
So, who is the most outstanding American collegian for 2013?

The female nominees should rectify that anomaly
Tuariki

Re: Bowerman awards 2013

Postby Tuariki » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:24 am

Rollins should win the women's award. Men' appears closer - probably go with Wruck, just ahead of Druin
Tuariki

Postby ATK » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Tuariki wrote:Rollins should win the women's award. Men' appears closer - probably go with Wruck, just ahead of Druin

I agree. Rollins is clearly above the rest in terms of accomplishments in the colliget year. But on the mens side its much closer.
ATK

Postby ATK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Drouin and Rollins take the mens and womens awards respectfully.

Cool with Rollins, but anyone think Wruck maybe should have taken the mens?

Also this is so late in the year.
ATK

Postby gh » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:46 am

So Canadian men win two years in a row.
gh

Postby Marlow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:30 am

gh wrote:So Canadian men win two years in a row.

The USA must lead the world in giving 'domestic' awards to dadgum furriners! :twisted:
Marlow

Postby Smoke » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:43 pm

I thought this was easily Wruck. Respect to Drouin but multiple national records, pr'ing six weeks straight, and winning in the clutch cannot be brushed aside. I was a little stunned at the result.
Smoke

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Drouin is a medalist on the world stage, had an Olympic medalist to defeat and had a great year. Where did Wruck end of in the big picture of things? He was the top NCAA in his event, but not really a world-level force.
26mi235

Postby gh » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:07 pm

world stage is irrelevant; even though the announcement isn't made until now (the USTFCCCA meeting) the decision was made months ago, based on the collegiate season (as w/ T&FN parameters, ending w/ the NCAA).

having said that, I voted for Drouin, whose big marks came in big-time competition, not lesser meets against nobody. Don't get me wrong, Wruck had a wondrous season, but didn't compare to Drouin's, all things considered.
gh

Postby Mighty Favog » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:00 am

I also voted for Drouin with thinking along similar lines. He went 3-1 against an Olympic silver medalist. Anything less than his best and he wouldn't have been an NCAA champion.

Canada has won the last two men's Bowerman's awards. The USA has won the last six Hobey Baker Awards (college hockey player of the year). What a strange world we inhabit.
Mighty Favog

Postby tandfman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:05 pm

I was disappointed that Drouin won because I did not appreciate what Indiana did during the fan voting period. This tweet urged Drouin's supporters to vote twice and told them how to do it:

IU Track & Field ‏@IUTrackXC 6 Aug
Derek still in 2nd and gap is widening. If you haven’t, now is the time to #VoteDrouin. If you have, find another device to vote on!

I suppose in this day and age, using two computers to get some benefit twice or vote twice is just part of the way these things work. But I was always taught to believe that voting twice is cheating, even if you can figure out a way to get away with it. I was sorry to see a public university encouraging behavior like that.
tandfman

Postby Pego » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:11 pm

tandfman wrote:I was disappointed that Drouin won because I did not appreciate what Indiana did during the fan voting period. This tweet urged Drouin's supporters to vote twice and told them how to do it:

IU Track & Field ‏@IUTrackXC 6 Aug
Derek still in 2nd and gap is widening. If you haven’t, now is the time to #VoteDrouin. If you have, find another device to vote on!

I suppose in this day and age, using two computers to get some benefit twice or vote twice is just part of the way these things work. But I was always taught to believe that voting twice is cheating, even if you can figure out a way to get away with it. I was sorry to see a public university encouraging behavior like that.

MLB All-star voting allows (I believe) 25 submissions per e-mail. If you have 10 e-mail accounts, you could vote 250 times. It's a joke.
Pego

Postby gh » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:13 pm

tempest in a teapot in the Bowerman case:

<<The Bowerman Voters consist of:

The Bowerman Advisory Board (10 members)
Select media personnel, statisticians, and collegiate administrators
Galen Rupp, 2009 men’s winner of The Bowerman
Ashton Eaton, 2010 men’s winner of The Bowerman
Ngoni Makusha, 2011 men’s winner of The Bowerman
Cam Levins, 2012 men’s winner of The Bowerman
Jenny (Barringer) Simpson, 2009 women’s winner of The Bowerman
Queen Harrison, 2010 women’s winner of The Bowerman
Jessica Beard, 2011 women’s winner of The Bowerman
Kimberlyn Duncan, 2012 women’s winner of The Bowerman
Online voting by the public will constitute one collective vote (ranking of choices will be made by order of total single votes)
Online voting by USTFCCCA members will constitute one collective vote (ranking of choices will be made by order of total single votes)>>
gh

Postby Smoke » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:45 am

Gh and favog that's very subjective of you. Winning is winning. If Wruck threw a world ledger t NCs you would've voted differently? Or you're saying it would've mattered more to you. Why? It would've been just a wider margin of victory. I don't follow your knock. Wruck went undefeated, which included two clutch throws in the fifth and sixth rounds to win NCs. 213 isn't a weak throw on that stage in those conditions.
Droin was deserving but don't patronize us with that type of reasoning please. The varied demands Of each event vary, and it seems from the above you discounted some important variables in there. I could be misreading it. What's done is done, congrats to Drouin, he had a fantastic year. :D
Smoke

Postby houstonian » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:33 pm

The importance of the Bowermans is the singular forum it provides for our ailing sport. I am frankly taken aback by the courage, intensity, charm and humility of our best collegiate athletes (and i am immersed in the sport). One thing to always count on: People who know nothing about track are merely astounded by the world class presence of our stars, every time. There is not one player in the wnba with the charisma of any one of our three women's nominees.
With the more limited exposure football players receive during the Heisman ceremony, they do not do nearly as well as our track candidates do under the interview lights on awards night.

Track, not boxing , is the "sweet science" and the crucible of pressure required to survive, much less prosper, turns the top athletes into super-novas.
houstonian