iaaf worlds on tv

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: iaaf worlds on tv

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:28 pm

Athletics Canada said there would soon be an announcement regarding the Worlds TV broadcast, so it's possible that this scofflaw will be watching an illegal foreign broadcast via my cable provider. Via CBC I have violated NBC's exclusive rights as US Olympic broadcaster in 6 of the last 7 Olympiads. I await my arrest.
Mighty Favog

Postby Marlow » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:55 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:I await my arrest.

It'd better be a big honkin' jail, cuz we'll all be there with you!
Marlow

Postby rsb2 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:49 pm

The CBC thing is strange, no word for weeks/months/etc., and today AC says there may be coverage ? I hope there is, but I won't be holding my breath. The usual livestreams connecting to BBC and/or EuroSport will still work fine here in Canada.
rsb2

Postby James Fields » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:23 pm

az2004 wrote:
"good to hear about daily shows,, hope this is nbcsn, as they had some of the des moines stuff"
------------
Agreed, nbcsn has pleasantly surprised with track coverage.

I detect a potential problem with setting up video recorder for my favorite events, using the IAAF date and hour schedules. They show Moscow time and USA times with differential of 8 hours for USA Eastern time zone and 11 hours for USA Pacific time zone. But that could be off one hour if it's true as reported elsewhere that Moscow is NOT using "daylight savings time" (or "summer time" as it called in some nations) in 2013.
James Fields

Postby shivfan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:31 am

Weights&Shoes wrote:I hope there will be streams online of the BBC feed. The BEST when it comes to coverage, I'd pay a premium to have that channel on my TV.

Yes, as eldanielfire says, those of us who live in the UK are lucky with the TV coverage....

In addition to the BBC, there's also the Eurosport channel in the UK, which will be in English too. I tend to switch from one to the other. I like the BBC, but sometimes they do tend to focus a bit more on British athletes than Eurosport, which tends to offer a wider perspective.
shivfan

Postby DecFan » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:43 am

James Fields wrote:
I detect a potential problem with setting up video recorder for my favorite events, using the IAAF date and hour schedules. They show Moscow time and USA times with differential of 8 hours for USA Eastern time zone and 11 hours for USA Pacific time zone. But that could be off one hour if it's true as reported elsewhere that Moscow is NOT using "daylight savings time" (or "summer time" as it called in some nations) in 2013.

The time difference is indeed 8 hours to US EDT and 11 hours to PDT.
DecFan

Postby Al in NYC » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:30 am

James Fields wrote:az2004 wrote:
"good to hear about daily shows,, hope this is nbcsn, as they had some of the des moines stuff"
------------
Agreed, nbcsn has pleasantly surprised with track coverage.

But keep in mind that the WC won't be on NBCSN. Instead, they will be showing deer hunting, fishing, year-old soccer games, and infomercials.
Al in NYC

Postby rsb2 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:09 pm

The Canadian television coverage has been confirmed as daily highlight shows on SportsNet, so that doesn't seem to include live action.
rsb2

Re: iaaf worlds on radio

Postby Chafford1 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:06 am

If you can't receive BBC on line TV streaming in your country, you could try BBC Radio Five Live which will have comprehensive coverage. Commentators will include Donovan Bailey

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediap ... erage.html

Radio 5 Live can be accessed on the web at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live
Chafford1

Postby dbirds » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:10 am

Does anyone if/how quickly Universalsports.com's daily feeds will be archived? I'd rather wake up at 7 on Sat am and watch the archived feeds to see the decathlon rather than waking up at 12:30 am cst to watch it Streaming live.
dbirds

Postby Trackrunner » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:38 am

Is track's profile that low that NBC SN which is more widely available than Universal Sports couldn't carry it. I'm sure the WC would get a bigger audience than reruns of deer hunting and trout fishing. Also I find Universal Sport schedule bizarre. Why aren't they reairing the afternoon sessions in prime time during the week. I would think most people will be at work from 11:30 - 2 pm and will therefore miss it and would like to see it in the evenings when they get home.
Trackrunner

Postby az2004 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:14 am

I will follow thw internet boards here event by event, I trust gh and those in Moscow itself
az2004

Postby fasttrak85 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:35 am

I am convinced no one at the IAAF has any sense nor anyone of the higher ups at Universal. How is it possible that a whole sport is inaccessible to the majority of people in an entire country(namely the US)? I am not into any fancy explanations i KNOW the whole lot of them are huge idiots. Like others have noticed..... Is flyfishing, bird catching, water rafting, moose hunting, roach crawling more suitable for a sports channel than athletics? Im just sick of this everyone is dropping the batton. Universal is no better because they took forever in there stupid negotation deal. What did they gain by not offering universal to the majority of cable providers? In the summer i would gladly spend upwards of 20 a month to have that channel(thats how much i desire it) and it is not even available for purchase. Even worse you cant access their web feeds without the channel. So in essence track fans in USA are just locked out of the whole loop altogether. The track season is so short and fleeting and I dont feel like It is possible to get the most out of it. I have complained to Universal and to Fios but at the end of the day they have to be the ones to wise up. UGGGH so frustrating.
fasttrak85

Postby Weights&Shoes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:14 am

What's the time difference from EST-Moscow?
Weights&Shoes

Postby DecFan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:29 pm

Weights&Shoes wrote:What's the time difference from EST-Moscow?

Eight hours at present (and thus Moscow to Eastern Daylight Time).
DecFan

Postby nicest person ever » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Alright, so, just to avoid confusion/to make sure I'm not missing any options here, this is my current situation:

1. I live in the United States

2. My TV provider is Verizon Fios

So, from what I understand, other the NBC weekend recap thingies, I do not have any possible ways of watching the full coverage/weekday stuff on tv, right?

Thus, I guess my next question has to do with the internet:

Will I be able to watch the FULL (complete, NOT RECAP) replay coverage of the WC's on any OFFICIAL websites (I'm not talking about those random obscurer pirated feed sites), but rather, I'm talking about like the BBC's website, or Eurosport's website, or Universal Sport's website, or NBC's website, or whatever actual tv channel/official coverage site in existence is going to make replays of their weekday track coverage, which I can then watch like 1 day later by just avoiding looking at the track & field results on tv/the internet, so that even tho it's not "live" for me, in essence it will be like watching it live, even though I'm just watching the replay of the full coverage, since I have no idea what will happen while watching it.

Can anyone advise me on this, particularly regarding the question I asked in the paragraph directly above this sentence? I would appreciate it enormously!
nicest person ever

Postby Weights&Shoes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:38 pm

DecFan wrote:

Sleeping patterns, goodbye. Especially since I plan to stream everything live.
Weights&Shoes

Postby jazzcyclist » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Since I have Direct TV, I'll get to see most of it live, either on Universal Sports or NBC, but I'm still disappointed that Universal Sports hasn't gone HD yet.
Last edited by jazzcyclist on Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzcyclist

Postby Weights&Shoes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Could someone post the BBC TV schedule? I remember seeing it somewhere but didn't bookmark it.
Weights&Shoes

Postby Pego » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:32 pm

nicest person ever wrote:Alright, so, just to avoid confusion/to make sure I'm not missing any options here, this is my current situation:

So, from what I understand, other the NBC weekend recap thingies, I do not have any possible ways of watching the full coverage/weekday stuff on tv, right?

Will I be able to watch the FULL (complete, NOT RECAP) replay coverage of the WC's on any OFFICIAL websites (I'm not talking about those random obscurer pirated feed sites), but rather, I'm talking about like the BBC's website, or Eurosport's website, or Universal Sport's website, or NBC's website, or whatever actual tv channel/official coverage site in existence is going to make replays of their weekday track coverage, which I can then watch like 1 day later by just avoiding looking at the track & field results on tv/the internet, so that even tho it's not "live" for me, in essence it will be like watching it live, even though I'm just watching the replay of the full coverage, since I have no idea what will happen while watching it.

Can anyone advise me on this, particularly regarding the question I asked in the paragraph directly above this sentence? I would appreciate it enormously!

The way I understand it, for our kind (you and me and scores of other cable subscribers), the only option of live coverage are those pirate websites. Hopefully, some of them will have it.The biggest downside of those is that there is no archived version. What you missed live, you missed.
Pego

Postby DecFan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 pm

Weights&Shoes wrote:Could someone post the BBC TV schedule? I remember seeing it somewhere but didn't bookmark it.

Here's the BBC schedule.

Looks to me like viewers will be able to look at archived versions of the BBC broadcasts. See this link.

To view, you'll have to be in the UK, or use a VPN to get a UK IP address.
DecFan

Postby tm71 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Weights&Shoes wrote:
DecFan wrote:

Sleeping patterns, goodbye. Especially since I plan to stream everything live.

same here. still waiting for USN to be added to my channel lineup but it does not look like it will be prior to the end of the meet. nbc has only 6 1/2 hrs on the two weekends, only 30 mins is live and i know which events they will feature over and over on this limited amount of time. at least i know where i will be at 1030 pm tonight, which is infront of my computer on the watchathletics.com site !
tm71

Postby rsb2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:49 pm

Watchathletics is showing 2 livestream links, however # 1 says they can't show me the program for legal reasons, but I can watch it on tv ??? # 2 isn't live yet, but looks like it should be EuroSport, if the track gods are willing ! Both StopStream and FirstRowSports are showing links, at least for now. Trackie.ca, in Canada is promising livestream links.
rsb2

Postby athleticshushmail » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:33 pm

nicest person ever wrote:Alright, so, just to avoid confusion/to make sure I'm not missing any options here, this is my current situation:

Here is the bbc coverage schedule (includes online, tv, and for outside gb, online radio)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/15971129
The link below is where the replay will be posted if you cannot watch it live
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _1_Part_1/
athleticshushmail

Postby Jackaloupe » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks to 'rsb2', I was able to sign on to WatchAthletics, but only via VegPlay.net, a humungous Streaming VideoGames site. Not only that, I had to jump thru hoops w/ VISA, whose computer flagged an alert due to the UK-based charge on my card--even though it was only for the token $1 for a 5-Day "Free Trial". That initial charge was to get 'em primed to charge me $34.95 at the end of the 5-day Trial, unless I cancel;~)

Here's my post on the Ashton Eaton thread alerting DecaFans to the lapse in Universal Sports coverage that obliged me to go to WatchAthletics as fallback:

And if you're watching Universal Sports expecting to see anything beyond SP, think twice! I just learned the hard way when I compared their (late night) viewing schedule (only 7:30-11:30 EDT) with the event schedule (w/ 400m @ 2240). This lapse continues the rest of the weekend, resuming next weekend, but irons out during the week, when there's no conflict w/ NBC's foreshortened coverage.

A recent post under the IAAF TV Coverage thread provided the solution, at more time/trouble/risk cost than the $1 "Free Trial" on WatchAthletics.com. Seems they require a Credit Card, for an obvious reason: as with most such ComeOns, you "agree" (by signing on for Free Trial), to the $34.95 monthly charge after the 5 free days. So this temporary solution will work for Decathlon, but not next weekends Afternoon Sessions (Morning Sessions are complete).
Jackaloupe

Postby rsb2 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:28 pm

I just google up "WatchAthletics.com", click on, ignore a few ads and enticements to download something, and it's good to go. Livestream # 1 currently has BBC News, a very good quality feed, and coverage is supposed to start in 90 minutes, first event in 2 hours. Livestream # 2 isn't live at the moment, but has a EuroSport banner there, so I assume that will be up and running by the time the Meet starts. Hopefully, my biggest decision for the next 12 hours will be whether to listen to Cram or Hutchings, as well as assessing how much caffeine will be required to let me stay up all night ;)
rsb2

Postby Weights&Shoes » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Didn't realize. It started now, I'm streaming via BBC on another site.
Weights&Shoes

Postby shivfan » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:03 pm

So far I prefer eurosport to BBC....

Too much talking in studio on the Beeb.
shivfan

Postby jamboy » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 pm

I am watching it on the Watchathletics website. Good coverage so far.
jamboy

Postby lonewolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:13 pm

WatchAthletics.com loud and clear.
lonewolf

Postby jamal00005 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Ahhhhh my national tv station decided to show coverage ........isn't that Brilliant :D
jamal00005

Postby eldanielfire » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:41 am

Can Americans (and anybody else) access the Eurosport player of the Eurosport website? Eurosport's live coverage can be accessed there for a cheap fee of like 3 quid (5 dollars American roughly) a month and you can cancel anytime, but I have no idea if it works globally.
eldanielfire

Postby aaronk » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:01 am

Been watching the ENTIRE meet through SportLemon......which gives me the Eurosport....with British commentators (Hutchings??).
Great coverage.....with just a couple of very minor complaints.
One, during the 800 heat with Symmonds, the screen went dead with the spinning circle appearing.....but came back in time to see the slo-mo of that heat's finish, and the results!
Two, they're breaking for about 2 minutes of ads about every 15 minutes or so!!
Right now, I've been watching the women's marathon.
Lots of field event stuff earlier, but ALL the track action too!!
Hope it continues through the rest of the meet!!
aaronk

Postby americantrackfan » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:38 am

the empty stadium is disgraceful. remember how amazing Berlin 2009 was with the full stadium?
americantrackfan

Postby GHM » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:47 am

Stadium looks 1/4 full. There were more people Kazan for WUG. It must be expensive ticket.

http://www.hahabar.com/
GHM

Postby Trackrunner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:18 am

Seriously IAAF needs a overhaul. I mean how is this possible - afternoon session in Moscow at the World Championships and stadium is empty. Did they not do any marketing at all; did they price the tickets out of reach? Russia I believe is second only to the US in the medal table at World Championships and this is all that the sport can manage to draw...on a weekend.

And the TV coverage here in the US is truly horrible. I'm thankful for the BBC live stream.
Trackrunner

Postby tm71 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:29 am

GHM wrote:Stadium looks 1/4 full. There were more people Kazan for WUG. It must be expensive ticket.

http://www.hahabar.com/

I think hutchins said that the max capacity is 35000 so 1/4 of 35000 means 9000, kind of pathetic.
I am using sport lemon now and its working ok thus far this morning.
tm71

Postby jamboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:10 am

It is quite interesting that BBC has Donovan Bailey and Michael Johnson on their commentary team.

Eurosport has Maurice Green and NBC has Ato Boldon.
jamboy

Postby az2004 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:20 pm

any thing is better than tom Hammond though, around the turn and it's the field
az2004

Postby TN1965 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:30 pm

I DVRed the morning session and zipped through the commercial breaks and other "dead" times. Took about 2 1/2 hours to finish the 4 hour session. It worked perfectly for me.

The only complaint is that NBC spent about 2 minutes on women's marathon and ZERO second on women's steeple, so I completely missed those two events.
TN1965

PreviousNext