iaaf worlds on tv

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: iaaf worlds on tv

Postby Mighty Favog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 am

NBC bigwig on EPL:
"We are going to get out of the way and just cover the game and the league properly," said Pierre Moossa, the coordinating producer of the NBC Sports Soccer Group. "It's an amazing product and it speaks for itself."
Sigh.

To NBC decision makers, the Olympics are only partly about competition. Mostly it's rainbows and unicorns and a lot of flag-waving. And NBC sees all track & field competitions as nothing more than extensions of the Olympics. Neither USATF nor the IAAF are benefitting from a continued association with NBC.
Mighty Favog

Postby gh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:49 am

and you think a switch to any other network would make a scintilla of difference?
gh

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 am

jamboy wrote:
nbonaddio wrote:The BBC stream is truly remarkable. Fantastic Cand commentary from Jackson, Edwards, and the play-by-play announcers.

It truly is remarkable. I wish NBC's coverage was this good.

The funny thing is many Brits are complaining about half the commentary team :lol:
eldanielfire

Postby pakillo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 am

Every time Dobrynska was shown this morning watching the heptathlon German Eurosport commentator insisted that was Chernova. Sometimes is better without any commentary.
pakillo

Postby jeremyp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 am

dvorakfan wrote:For those who don't get bothered by German (Austrian) commentary:

ORF Sport Plus (which brought Götzis multis to us all day) is an alternative:

http://www.onlinetv-stream.com/orf-sport-plus/

Schedule here:
http://tv.orf.at/program/orfsportplus/20130810/
(times are CET - subtract 6 hours for Eastern, 9 hours for Pacific time)

Maybe you can get anything from Eurosport too

dvorak: I've been enjoying this over the weekend but now it seems to have gone off athletics. Is there another feed?
jeremyp

Postby jamboy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:10 am

eldanielfire wrote:
jamboy wrote:
nbonaddio wrote:The BBC stream is truly remarkable. Fantastic Cand commentary from Jackson, Edwards, and the play-by-play announcers.

It truly is remarkable. I wish NBC's coverage was this good.

The funny thing is many Brits are complaining about half the commentary team :lol:

Well, they should switch to NBC and lets see how happy they will be. :D
jamboy

Postby az2004 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:52 am

yes, nbc is very weak
az2004

Postby nbonaddio » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:19 am

Shameful attendance. Has to be mentioned again.
nbonaddio

Postby uakari » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:25 am

don't know who the brit announcer on eurosport is but he's also terrible, can't keep track of who is who (in the m400 semis, for example), or whose position that athlete is actually at. almost as bad as hammond... :D

*** PS, not trying to say the eurosport feed is as bad as nbc, there's 4 or 5 announcers doing different events, and anything from them is miles ahead of *puke* nbc.
uakari

Postby lonewolf » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:20 am

I have been watching the BBC live steam on WatchAthletics.com..apparently the commentators are so well known that they need no introduction..
I know Michael Johnson and figured out Paula Radcliffe and Denise Lewis but who is the spiky grey haired guy on the left, the blond woman on the left and Collin ???? on the right.
lonewolf

Postby tm71 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:41 am

anyone watch the USN live coverage today ? was it better than nbc's weekend coverage ?
tm71

Postby TN1965 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:10 pm

gh wrote:and you think a switch to any other network would make a scintilla of difference?

Wimbledon coverage changed rather drastically when it moved to ESPN.

It may not change at all for T&F. But they might understand people who would watch World Championships on ESPN2 and people who would watch Olympics on ABC are not exactly the same group.
TN1965

Postby jeremyp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:27 pm

tm71 wrote:anyone watch the USN live coverage today ? was it better than nbc's weekend coverage ?

My roundup of the days events to my wife was better than NBC.
jeremyp

Postby cladthin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:33 pm

I slightly prefer the Eurosport broadcasts over the BBC ones with, well down the list, Gilligan's Island re-runs and a number of cartoons just a notch ahead of the NBC circus lead by ringmaster Tom H.

Question: Does the BBC and Eurosport share some of the same announcers? That is, are some of the guys on both?
cladthin

Postby Mighty Favog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:40 pm

TN1965 wrote:
gh wrote:and you think a switch to any other network would make a scintilla of difference?

It may not change at all for T&F. But they might understand people who would watch World Championships on ESPN2 and people who would watch Olympics on ABC are not exactly the same group.
NBC got screwed out of the rights to the World Cup one year because they were going to treat it like they treat the Olympics--fluffy and tape-delayed. FIFA actually took less money from ESPN than NBC had offered because they were going to do it right. So yes, I think it would. It might not be good but it's hard to imagine it worse.
Mighty Favog

Postby uakari » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:52 pm

can anyone suggest a good website for replays of the events? i've been watching the eurosport feed or whatever is available from sportlemontv or firstrowsports but obviously the live feed is of low quality. i'd like to re-watch some of the heats, qualifying etc. with a better quality. some of it eventually makes to youtube, but just wondering if there's other alternatives. grazie, dziękuję.
uakari

Postby cladthin » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:17 pm

uakari wrote:can anyone suggest a good website for replays of the events? i've been watching the eurosport feed or whatever is available from sportlemontv or firstrowsports but obviously the live feed is of low quality. i'd like to re-watch some of the heats, qualifying etc. with a better quality. some of it eventually makes to youtube, but just wondering if there's other alternatives. grazie, dziękuję.

I have not looked at any of the videos but maybe you'll find them here?

http://www.youtube.com/user/IAAF2012

Edit: I just watched one 400mH race and it was not complete-more of news story/summary.
Last edited by cladthin on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cladthin

Postby gh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:19 pm

TN1965 wrote:

Wimbledon was a guaranteed ratings success no matter who covers it.
gh

Postby norunner » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:08 pm

After reading this thread i feel kinda spoiled here in Germany. One of the stations here, ARD, is offering separate onlinestreams for many of the finals, for example on friday they will have separate streams for each the wHT final, mLJ final, mSP final and m1500 semifinals. Some of them with no commentary, so they would be very watchable without any german language knowledge. You will probably need a german ip via a VPN, not certain though, the videos from Moscow posted on their webpage do work with a UK IP.
Streaming schedule can be found here (also in german): http://lawm.sportschau.de/moskau2013/li ... index.html
norunner

Postby tm71 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:16 pm

gh wrote:
TN1965 wrote:

Wimbledon was a guaranteed ratings success no matter who covers it.

track and field could too if the sport was presented better. that includes tv, writers and the governing bodies, but that i will leave that discussion for another day.
Last edited by tm71 on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tm71

Postby uakari » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 pm

i found this for those that need to re-watch all the m100 heats again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4npQ249-ks
uakari

Postby rsb2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Anyone in the UK can re-watch all the BBC coverage on the bbciplayer. If not in the UK, you can download Google Chrome, and get "hola unblocker". "This allows you to watch all BBC features, including the iplayer, at least it works for me!
rsb2

Postby donley2 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:05 pm

tm71 wrote:anyone watch the USN live coverage today ? was it better than nbc's weekend coverage ?

Yes, it was MUCH MUCH better than Sundays. I almost barfed however when I saw the NBC announcing crew during the opening. They actually showed the semis of the mens 110 hurdles and womens 100 meters (which were not in the live window) as well as a marginally better than usual (usual being about one attempt per medalist) review of the field events.
donley2

Postby DrJay » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Unless I missed it, not a mention of the men's steeple heats on USN. And--oh joy!--NBC has found its next feel-good-only-slightly-relevant peripheral storyline and that's Mr. and Mrs. Multis, the Eatons. Now, it is kinda cool, and sweet, and if they have kids maybe it'll be like The Incredibles, but one gets the feeling we'll see this ad nauseum for the next several global championships, a reality show within the WC and the OG (when do you think they'll stop talking about the javelin near-miss?) It's like the endless shots of the NCAA basketball coach's wives during the Final Four. After the first one or two, who cares?
Last edited by DrJay on Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrJay

Postby tm71 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:37 pm

donley2 wrote:

Yes, it was MUCH MUCH better than Sundays. I almost barfed however when I saw the NBC announcing crew during the opening. They actually showed the semis of the mens 110 hurdles and womens 100 meters (which were not in the live window) as well as a marginally better than usual (usual being about one attempt per medalist) review of the field events.

Good. My parents have been watching thr USN shows too since they have dish. I have time Warner and it should be added any time but probably not soon enough for this meet :(
tm71

Postby posty333 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:50 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have been watching the BBC live steam on WatchAthletics.com..apparently the commentators are so well known that they need no introduction..
I know Michael Johnson and figured out Paula Radcliffe and Denise Lewis but who is the spiky grey haired guy on the left, the blond woman on the left and Collin ???? on the right.

I think spiky grey haired guy is Jonathan Edwards. He has been the presenter in the mornings. In the evening session, the blonde woman is Gabby Logan. Colin Jackson has been on the right.

uakari wrote:can anyone suggest a good website for replays of the events? i've been watching the eurosport feed or whatever is available from sportlemontv or firstrowsports but obviously the live feed is of low quality. i'd like to re-watch some of the heats, qualifying etc. with a better quality. some of it eventually makes to youtube, but just wondering if there's other alternatives. grazie, dziękuję.
I was using watchathletics.com for the live feeds, but couldn't find a good place to watch replays. I can only watch a bit of the morning session before I go to bed at night, and am unable to watch evening sessions live in the morning as I have to go to work. The BBC iPlayer sounded like a great option, but it is not available to me in the U.S. However, I did some searching on the internet and found some options on how to make it work on this site - http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/access-bbc ... ally-free/. I ended up going with the Tunlr option, and I've been able to watch the replays available on the BBC site. I wasn't able to get the live feed working with it, but I don't need it for that.
posty333

Postby norunner » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:52 pm

Here is a german stream that follows the hep long jump only, works with foreign IPs: http://www.zdfsport.de/Siebenkampf-im-L ... 87402.html
norunner

Postby tm71 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:12 pm

norunner wrote:After reading this thread i feel kinda spoiled here in Germany. One of the stations here, ARD, is offering separate onlinestreams for many of the finals, for example on friday they will have separate streams for each the wHT final, mLJ final, mSP final and m1500 semifinals. Some of them with no commentary, so they would be very watchable without any german language knowledge. You will probably need a german ip via a VPN, not certain though, the videos from Moscow posted on their webpage do work with a UK IP.
Streaming schedule can be found here (also in german): http://lawm.sportschau.de/moskau2013/li ... index.html

We had that last year for the Olympics on nbcolympics.com and it was great. I remember having one window on the track events and the other on the men's shot put for example. No such luck this year !
tm71

Postby Al in NYC » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:03 pm

lonewolf wrote:I have been watching the BBC live steam on WatchAthletics.com..apparently the commentators are so well known that they need no introduction..

Colin ???? = Colin Jackson (2 time world champion, Olympic medalist, former world record holder in 110m hurdles)
Spiky grey haired guy = Jonathan Edwards (2 time world champion, Olympic champion, and current world record holder in the triple jump)
The blond woman on the left = Gabby Logan ('presenter", former rhythmic gymnast, person with highly appropriate name)
Al in NYC

Postby uakari » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 am

who are the brits on eurosport? gillis-something?
uakari

Postby lonewolf » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks for the IDs of the presenters.. How fleeting is fame....Dont recall ever seeing Jackson and never heard of "Gabby". I have seen many pics/videos and worked 96 OG TJ so should have recognized Edwards :oops: .. maybe it was the grey hair that threw me.. :)
lonewolf

Postby shivfan » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:46 am

uakari wrote:who are the brits on eurosport? gillis-something?

Tim Hutchings, and a bunch of other guys....
:D
shivfan

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Brendan Foster and Steve Cram are also commentators.
Bruce Kritzler

Postby tm71 » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:52 pm

shivfan wrote:

i like tim hutchings. he has done a few shows for espn and nbc. wish he could replace hammond on nbc. generally eurosport is a lot more tolerable than bbc and nbc.
tm71

Postby br » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:22 pm

tm71 wrote:
shivfan wrote:

i like tim hutchings. he has done a few shows for espn and nbc. wish he could replace hammond on nbc. generally eurosport is a lot more tolerable than bbc and nbc.

The major networks, NBC, CBS and Fox (espn may be the exception) always use one of their staff announcers as the host of a major championship. They don't stray from that formula. Tom Hammond is also the host for NBC's horse racing, ND football broadcasts and more. In other words, a person like Hutchings would never be the host unless he was an NBC employee and not just a hired gun. Tom Hammond has been a on the NBC staff since the late 80's.
br

Postby tm71 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:08 pm

br wrote:
tm71 wrote:
shivfan wrote:

The major networks, NBC, CBS and Fox (espn may be the exception) always use one of their staff announcers as the host of a major championship. They don't stray from that formula. Tom Hammond is also the host for NBC's horse racing, ND football broadcasts and more. In other words, a person like Hutchings would never be the host unless he was an NBC employee and not just a hired gun. Tom Hammond has been a on the NBC staff since the late 80's.

Yeah i know he was mainly a horse racing commentator before and the big wigs at NBC figured they would replace Charlie jones (who frankly was worse than Hammond) for the 1992 Olympics by allowing Hammond to be the play by play in Tokyo in 1991. I remember it was bob costas as the host, hammond play by play, OJ Simpson the sprint analyst, Craig masback the distance race analyst and Dwight stones for the field events.
tm71

Postby einnod23 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:39 pm

I have yet to watch one minute of coverage of this year's Worlds! (I did DVR last weekend, and plan to DVR this coming weekend!)

I have Verizon FIOS, which has Universal and NBC Sports Net, but does not have Universal Sports! To be honest, I hold no network with any responsibility for this, but the sport, itself, for its failure to have any type of appeal! (outside of Bolt, of course!).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I just read about countries such as Canada and Australia not having live, weekday coverage? I thought a CBC feed was always there in the past! And did I just read about small attendances in Moscow?

Speaking of which, of all of the news stories I've read and watched about a possible boycott of the 2014 Sochi Winter Games (and I've seen and watched plenty!), there has been not one mention of a track meet going on in Moscow! That's all one needs to know about the relevance and appeal of this sport, right now! (or lack, thereof!).

And at the risk of facing a ban, I will paraphrase the editor of this publication, whom I remember writing that this sport is "ok as a niche sport for the few of us!" I don't think I'm too far off from the actual quote! And now, we get what we ask for!

I've watched this sport since '76 (what little I can remember as an 8-year-old kid!). The LA games 8 years later inspired me to run track in high school. And I was real passionate of this sport....until now!

Maybe something in the future in track will make me pick up interest, again! But I've been more interested in Sanya's reality show than this......!
einnod23

Postby einnod23 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:17 am

Let me add something. I did say, last year, that London was "The best Games in a minute!" I do belive that overall, the 2012 Games were great. But more important for this sport, it was just a great track meet!

Awhile back, I questioned the decision to go bi-annually with the Worlds. One of the responses was that going back to the 4-year format would keep the sport off the radar! I understand and respect that argument. However, I question if any decision right now on that end would put this sport back on the radar! Having said what I said, I propose that the Worlds go back to 4-year, but "Midterm", right in between Games (2018, 2022, etc). I question how much revenue the IAAF is making, anymore, and I wonder whether cities will continue to bid for a Worlds whose interest may be at its lowest point, ever!
einnod23

Postby Alter Ego » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:38 am

There is a blog post on how to watch BBC streaming of Track and Field at http://www.inlinegeek.com/?p=7. It also has a bunch of useful links so you can figure out when and where meets are streaming.
Alter Ego

Postby DrJay » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:00 am

Anyone else being driven mad by the camera work on Universal? Prolonged butt shots from far away as the field finishes the first turn and starts down the back straight, followed by the head-on shot from the end of the back straight (sometimes graced with a few seconds of the artsy feet-and-legs-only shot) that takes away almost all perspective on relative placing as athletes are moving up or dropping back.
DrJay

PreviousNext