iaaf worlds on tv

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: iaaf worlds on tv

Postby Trackrunner » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:18 am

Seriously IAAF needs a overhaul. I mean how is this possible - afternoon session in Moscow at the World Championships and stadium is empty. Did they not do any marketing at all; did they price the tickets out of reach? Russia I believe is second only to the US in the medal table at World Championships and this is all that the sport can manage to draw...on a weekend.

And the TV coverage here in the US is truly horrible. I'm thankful for the BBC live stream.
Trackrunner

Postby tm71 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:29 am

GHM wrote:Stadium looks 1/4 full. There were more people Kazan for WUG. It must be expensive ticket.

http://www.hahabar.com/

I think hutchins said that the max capacity is 35000 so 1/4 of 35000 means 9000, kind of pathetic.
I am using sport lemon now and its working ok thus far this morning.
tm71

Postby jamboy » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:10 am

It is quite interesting that BBC has Donovan Bailey and Michael Johnson on their commentary team.

Eurosport has Maurice Green and NBC has Ato Boldon.
jamboy

Postby az2004 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:20 pm

any thing is better than tom Hammond though, around the turn and it's the field
az2004

Postby TN1965 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:30 pm

I DVRed the morning session and zipped through the commercial breaks and other "dead" times. Took about 2 1/2 hours to finish the 4 hour session. It worked perfectly for me.

The only complaint is that NBC spent about 2 minutes on women's marathon and ZERO second on women's steeple, so I completely missed those two events.
TN1965

Postby cladthin » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:00 pm

az2004 wrote:any thing is better than tom Hammond though, around the turn and it's the field

No doubt other than maybe(?!) Carol Lewis.

I laugh every time when they start a race and the athletes might be 2-4 steps out of their blocks but TH will say (runner in question) is already out well, or x goes to the lead- he sure can see those early leaders before everyone else. Yet another example of a race call that is chosen prior to the competition.
cladthin

Postby Jackaloupe » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:35 pm

He'd be safer saying, "It's anybody's race", instead of as this morning's 400 mW, where X had a "commanding lead" just as they came off the bend, where it suddenly became "Y" ahead. I noted Ato sometimes gingerly stepping in early, often as they approached the bend, to call the lead before Tom botched it.
Then the usually reliable Dwight Stones opined that Eaton should've gone harder "on the backstretch", when he'd run a nigh-perfect sub-22 200. He did pick up on the head-rolling in the final 40-50m.
Jackaloupe

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:09 pm

TN1965 wrote:I DVRed the morning session and zipped through the commercial breaks and other "dead" times. Took about 2 1/2 hours to finish the 4 hour session. It worked perfectly for me.

The only complaint is that NBC spent about 2 minutes on women's marathon and ZERO second on women's steeple, so I completely missed those two events.

Are you talking about the NBC broadcast or the Universal Sports broadcast? The NBC broadcast was a 1.5-hour tape delayed program. The Universal Sports broadcast was a 4-hour live program that ended before the marathon and the steeplechase heats started.

By the way, tomorrow's NBC broadcast will be live.
jazzcyclist

Postby TN1965 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:46 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
TN1965 wrote:I DVRed the morning session and zipped through the commercial breaks and other "dead" times. Took about 2 1/2 hours to finish the 4 hour session. It worked perfectly for me.

Are you talking about the NBC broadcast or the Universal Sports broadcast? The NBC broadcast was a 1.5-hour tape delayed program. The Universal Sports broadcast was a 4-hour live program that ended before the marathon and the steeplechase heats started.

My first paragraph was about Universal Sports, and my second paragraph was about NBC.
TN1965

Postby tm71 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:48 pm

az2004 wrote:any thing is better than tom Hammond though, around the turn and it's the field

He has been calling track and field for 22 yrs now on NBC one would think he would be an expert by now !
tm71

Postby BillVol » Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 pm

Hammond has grown on me. He is not expert but I would miss him.
BillVol

Postby rsb2 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:43 pm

In Canada the TV coverage is limited to daily 1-hour highlight packages on SportsNet, of course we have access to NBC as well. The SportsNet program is on now, and they are doing a reasonable job of covering the events, having hired a couple of British commentators (not sure who they are) who are making our sport interesting and understandeable to the "masses", those more likely to be watching these highlight shows in prime time, rather than stay up all night as I did. I watched the first 12 hours of the Meet on the internet, with both a BBC feed and a Eurosport feed - great stuff! Trackie.ca and WatchAthletics.com had the BBC feed, and StopStream and FirstRowSports had EuroSport, I imagine it will be the same for the next session, starting in less than an hour and a half.
rsb2

Postby Weights&Shoes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:00 pm

Time to Day 2! streaming now.
Weights&Shoes

Postby Weights&Shoes » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:14 pm

rsb2 wrote:In Canada the TV coverage is limited to daily 1-hour highlight packages on SportsNet, of course we have access to NBC as well. The SportsNet program is on now, and they are doing a reasonable job of covering the events, having hired a couple of British commentators (not sure who they are) who are making our sport interesting and understandeable to the "masses", those more likely to be watching these highlight shows in prime time, rather than stay up all night as I did. I watched the first 12 hours of the Meet on the internet, with both a BBC feed and a Eurosport feed - great stuff! Trackie.ca and WatchAthletics.com had the BBC feed, and StopStream and FirstRowSports had EuroSport, I imagine it will be the same for the next session, starting in less than an hour and a half.

Dave Moorecroft and I forgot the other two guys' names. To my knowledge they're the guys who call everything for the IAAF network at World Championships.
Weights&Shoes

Postby nbonaddio » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:45 pm

The BBC stream is truly remarkable. Fantastic production and commentary from Jackson, Edwards, and the play-by-play announcers.
nbonaddio

Postby aaronk » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Eurosport (Tim Hutchings announcing) is EXCELLENT.....and COMPLETE!!
Get it through SportLemon!
Hutchings is entertaining, opinionated, and not afraid to tell it like it is!!
The coverage is as complete as could be hoped for...even with all the ad breaks!
Getting all the race heats, lots of field events.....including from the Dec!!
And it's FREE!!
aaronk

Postby Pego » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:44 am

I checked both BBC and Eurosport. I like Eurosport better, but both of them are excellent.
Pego

Postby jamboy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:44 am

nbonaddio wrote:The BBC stream is truly remarkable. Fantastic Cand commentary from Jackson, Edwards, and the play-by-play announcers.

It truly is remarkable. I wish NBC's coverage was this good.
jamboy

Postby tm71 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:39 am

NBC is on live showing deca morning and afternoon events

Seemed like a big infomertial on bolt, eaton and Sochi !
tm71

Postby Trackrunner » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:13 pm

It is obvious that NBC cares NOTHING about track and field. A 90 minute segment on the World Champs was filled with commercials, a segment on Bolt and flashbacks to his Olympic victories, a segment on Eaton, a too long segment on Russia's controversial propaganda law and a preview of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

They only showed 2 of the 100 semis and selectively identified a few competitors not bothering to introduce the field as a whole. The 'coverage' of the 400 and 800 semis was truly pathetic - they just showed the athletes crossing the line and announced the name of the winner.

It is not surprising they stuck the World Champs on Universal Sports - they think there is no audience for it. But then can you blame them...when you see the 1/2 empty stadium in Moscow. Even Daegu was better attendance wise. I said it before the IAAF needs a total overhaul.
Trackrunner

Postby az2004 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:31 pm

beteween iaaf.com and these message boards and some people I know at the Moscow stadium emailing me, I got results , I have not found a reliable link to Moscow, i'm bloked by bbc and any other one I try
az2004

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:33 pm

nbonaddio wrote:The BBC stream is truly remarkable. Fantastic production and commentary from Jackson, Edwards, and the play-by-play announcers.

I agree. I like Jonathan Edwards, Steve Cram, Paula Radcliffe, even Colin Jackson and Denise Lewis, who seem to catch a lot of heat here.
Bob Duncan

Postby Pego » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Trackrunner wrote:A 90 minute segment on the World Champs was filled with commercials, a segment on Bolt and flashbacks to his Olympic victories, a segment on Eaton, a too long segment on Russia's controversial propaganda law and a preview of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

That is why I watch Eurosport online. I switched to TV 5 minutes before 100 final to see it on a big screen.
Pego

Postby Brian » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:50 pm

BillVol wrote:Hammond has grown on me. He is not expert but I would miss him.

I know what you mean...sort of like a fungus between the toes...

[Just teasing.]
:]
Brian

Postby Weights&Shoes » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:07 pm

Pego wrote:
Trackrunner wrote:A 90 minute segment on the World Champs was filled with commercials, a segment on Bolt and flashbacks to his Olympic victories, a segment on Eaton, a too long segment on Russia's controversial propaganda law and a preview of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

That is why I watch Eurosport online. I switched to TV 5 minutes before 100 final to see it on a big screen.

Exactly.

Watched on BBC, and right before the finals started I went to NBC to finally watch coverage on the big screen.
Weights&Shoes

Postby uakari » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:55 pm

i watched most of the evening session online, and the portuguese tv announcers were constantly apologizing for their mistakes and correcting themselves, it was pathetic. but still better than NBC and hammond (who don't even know when they are wrong). in the decathlon 1500, they kept mistaking suarez for warner !!!!! and it took them to the end of the race to realize their mistake -- then they kept thinking coertzen was chinin (maybe beause he was wearing green and yellow?). in the wome n's 10,000, they were focused on the portuguese entrant and got her position and time wrong. also some bad mistakes in id'ing the racers in men's 800. maybe not being there doesn't help...
Last edited by uakari on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uakari

Postby uakari » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Trackrunner wrote:It is obvious that NBC cares NOTHING about track and field.

uh and this is news?????????????
uakari

Postby TN1965 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Trackrunner wrote:It is obvious that NBC cares NOTHING about track and field. A 90 minute segment on the World Champs was filled with commercials, a segment on Bolt and flashbacks to his Olympic victories, a segment on Eaton, a too long segment on Russia's controversial propaganda law and a preview of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

They only showed 2 of the 100 semis and selectively identified a few competitors not bothering to introduce the field as a whole. The 'coverage' of the 400 and 800 semis was truly pathetic - they just showed the athletes crossing the line and announced the name of the winner.

I am glad to hear your NBC affiliate showed 90 minutes of World Championships.

Mine showed only 60 minutes. Only ONE semi of M100 and 15 sec. of Eaton waiving the flag after his victory. I didn't even check what was the all important local program that had to preempt the first 30 minutes of the coverage. Well, to NBC and its affiliates about everything must be more important than T&F.
TN1965

Postby donley2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:43 pm

uakari wrote:
Trackrunner wrote:It is obvious that NBC cares NOTHING about track and field.

uh and this is news?????????????

The totally valid gripes have already been listed above, but I have to admit, that 90 minutes of coverage was way below my already very low standards for a decent broadcast. It was truly AWFUL.
donley2

Postby uakari » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:44 pm

well, my tv broke months ago and i now only watch things online... i'm glad to have missed the nbc porcheria... but i'm not surprised that their show would suck -- it's all fluff, features, american-centric crap. and no expert commentary whatsoever.
uakari

Postby tm71 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 pm

TN1965 wrote:
Trackrunner wrote:It is obvious that NBC cares NOTHING about track and field. A 90 minute segment on the World Champs was filled with commercials, a segment on Bolt and flashbacks to his Olympic victories, a segment on Eaton, a too long segment on Russia's controversial propaganda law and a preview of the Sochi Winter Olympics.

I am glad to hear your NBC affiliate showed 90 minutes of World Championships.

Mine showed only 60 minutes. Only ONE semi of M100 and 15 sec. of Eaton waiving the flag after his victory. I didn't even check what was the all important local program that had to preempt the first 30 minutes of the coverage. Well, to NBC and its affiliates about everything must be more important than T&F.[/quote
How have the shows been on USN ? I heard they were fairly good, basically the world feed being used by eurosport etc
tm71

Postby tm71 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Pego wrote:

I live streamed between 7 am and 930 am then watched on NBC on my large screen tv. Since I don't have USN yet I am live streaming the rest of the week.
tm71

Postby Weights&Shoes » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:59 pm

I will say this. While NBC is utter trash when it comes to coverage, I did enjoy Tom Hammond's call of the Men's 100 Final yesterday. Guess the NBC booth had a better angle in Moscow will all those empty seats this year. Hammond's call in London was terrible and a second behind of what actually happened.
Weights&Shoes

Postby mump boy » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:13 pm

Where can i find the BBC live stream, i'm her in Moscow and not going to stadium this morning, can't even find it on RUS tv
mump boy

Postby rsb2 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Can you google up "watchathletics.com", or StopStream.tv for EuroSport?
rsb2

Postby Mighty Favog » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:48 am

NBC bigwig on EPL:
"We are going to get out of the way and just cover the game and the league properly," said Pierre Moossa, the coordinating producer of the NBC Sports Soccer Group. "It's an amazing product and it speaks for itself."
Sigh.

To NBC decision makers, the Olympics are only partly about competition. Mostly it's rainbows and unicorns and a lot of flag-waving. And NBC sees all track & field competitions as nothing more than extensions of the Olympics. Neither USATF nor the IAAF are benefitting from a continued association with NBC.
Mighty Favog

Postby gh » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:49 am

and you think a switch to any other network would make a scintilla of difference?
gh

Postby eldanielfire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:58 am

jamboy wrote:
nbonaddio wrote:The BBC stream is truly remarkable. Fantastic Cand commentary from Jackson, Edwards, and the play-by-play announcers.

It truly is remarkable. I wish NBC's coverage was this good.

The funny thing is many Brits are complaining about half the commentary team :lol:
eldanielfire

Postby pakillo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:42 am

Every time Dobrynska was shown this morning watching the heptathlon German Eurosport commentator insisted that was Chernova. Sometimes is better without any commentary.
pakillo

Postby jeremyp » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:01 am

dvorakfan wrote:For those who don't get bothered by German (Austrian) commentary:

ORF Sport Plus (which brought Götzis multis to us all day) is an alternative:

http://www.onlinetv-stream.com/orf-sport-plus/

Schedule here:
http://tv.orf.at/program/orfsportplus/20130810/
(times are CET - subtract 6 hours for Eastern, 9 hours for Pacific time)

Maybe you can get anything from Eurosport too

dvorak: I've been enjoying this over the weekend but now it seems to have gone off athletics. Is there another feed?
jeremyp

PreviousNext