World Champs Men's Field Event A Standards Too High?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: World Champs Men's Field Event A Standards Too High?

Postby 18.99s » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:28 am

Powell wrote:Not really. There's much stronger correlation between result in a major championship and SB for a given athlete than there is between the result and SB from previous year.

Even if that is true, the relevant comparison isn't the SB of this year vs. the previous year, it's this year's pre-championship SB vs. the best of the previous 15-20 months including this season.
18.99s

Postby donley2 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:49 pm

So to get really specific on this topic. The 2011 world champs and the 2012 olympic games A standard in the long jump was 8.20. For some reason I completely fail to comprehend they raised it to 8.25 in 2013. If they had simply left it alone all this late decision on Rutherford versus Tomlinson would not be necessary as they could both be on the team.
donley2

Postby Alan Shank » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:30 pm

donley2 wrote:I don't think 35 is that problematic. The only way I would personally support them shoot for lower than that would be if a larger percentage of the field than now came from people with A standards. The whole, qualify by your best mark concept, is deeply flawed anyway, as it does not really measure ones ability to compete at a high level consistently.

It's not intended to measure that. I think the principle is, anybody who is going to be able to make a final, say, should be able at some point to reach the standard. If you can't reach the standard, then obviously you can't do it consistently.

As to reducing the events to finals, that's a DL meet! I loooooove to watch the rounds; that was one of the main reasons I started attending global championships. I think that, in the races, they have reached a good balance between too many rounds and not enough. At one time, I believe they had semis in the 5000 and steeplechase, and four rounds in the 800 (Snell ran 4). Of course, that results in these 3 semis, 2+2. There is no perfect solution.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:16 am

I'd like to see:
• top–16 from the performance list (3-per-country)
• top–2 from four regional qualifying meets (does not count against 3-per-country)
• 'wild card' auto for last WC gold and Olympic gold medalists (does not count against 3-per-country)
* I think field size would stay under thirty
* one country could have seven in an event
bushop