Is TBO purposely slowing her times down?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Is TBO purposely slowing her times down?

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 am

She was off to a good start in May with 50.58 and then 50.53 but it was a false alarm. Just when it looks as if she is headed to a sub 50 before a championships she reigns it in and starts running 51's again with her classic caterpillar first 300. Why is it so hard for her to just run fast? It seems like something she is doing on purpose regardless of what she says. Maybe she thinks she is sparing her legs? Peaking at the right time? She must have some mental justiification for what she is doing. Anyone have any clarity on this British headcase?
fasttrack85

Re: Is TBO purposely slowing her times down?

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:52 am

fasttrack85 wrote:Why is it so hard for her to just run fast?

Why do Borzakovsky and Spearmon typically amble the first half of their races?
Marlow

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:11 am

Marlow wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:Why is it so hard for her to just run fast?

Why do Borzakovsky and Spearmon typically amble the first half of their races?

Some people will say Spearmon is willfully conserving energy and some will say he is a poor curve runner/weak 100 meter runner.

With TBO it is not just her running style/strategy it is the times. Even if championships her first 300 will always be relatively weak compared to the other top talent but she will storm through the last 100 with a fairly good time. How can someone organize a program to only allow an athlete to run a fast time one day of the year? She must be holding herself back the other 364 days.
fasttrack85

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:14 am

What if she simply doesn't have the fitness to run the first 300 hard - that is to say, she's in the middle of training phase that doesn't focus on the 'whole' race?
Peaking does indeed build to a performance level that theoretically can't be sustained for very long.
Marlow

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 am

Marlow wrote:What if she simply doesn't have the fitness to run the first 300 hard - that is to say, she's in the middle of training phase that doesn't focus on the 'whole' race?
Peaking does indeed build to a performance level that theoretically can't be sustained for very long.

Many pro athletes who are known to get their peak right can run fast throughout the year no matter what their event. Why is TBO different? Sanya has run sub 49's after champs and low 49's before champs and there are many other examples. While Champs and Olympics will always be the biggest thing of the year i think putting together a solid campaign each year is admirable. That is why I am glad Diamond league winners get awarded with a championship berth. Imagine if the only time you could see a good football match was during the super bowl or a good soccer match during the world cup. TBO is shitting on the fans who come to see a good race.
fasttrack85

Postby Flumpy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:58 am

fasttrack85 wrote:Anyone have any clarity on this British headcase?

I think you may have answered your own question.
Flumpy

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:23 pm

The 800 is fundamentally different, as it is not run in lanes for most of the race. When you are at the back in the 800 you get to draft. You also get to run more even splits, which is generally a best distance strategy but meets the speed-decay issue of the 800 which tends to slow by 200 increment except for races run in a championship/strategic manner. Simpson, in her fast 800 said that she could not go out at the pace of the others in the first 200 but she owned the race thereafter.

Optimal 400s are trickier because the line between too fast and too slow is both narrow and individual. Furthermore, it is also probably fitness-dependent, so that at peak fitness we might see TBO speed up her first 200 but during periods of heavier training, doing so might leave her short of her finishing power. Maybe she wants to keep it such that she always finishes hard/fast no matter how tired she feels and she needs to keep that mentality, so going out hard before the championship meets could backfire. Slightly wild hypothesis, but it does seem to fit the facts. In this case, it also probably means that she got in shape earlier than normal (?), then backed off performance level by hitting the training harder again to prep for Moscow. [OK, let the shooting begin to see if any of this might make sense, I am just trying to see if some untried notions might fit TBO's data.]

[leaving post as was, several posted in between, which I did not see before a lunch break]
26mi235

Postby jjimbojames » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:28 pm

26 basically echoes what TBO said recently - she believes she can't maintain peak that long, so backs off and is currently racing through training.

That said, I think she mentally believes she keeps her aura (for want of a better word) this way too - the only think you can predict is that she will almost certainly run a SB at the Champs, but as to what time that might be is anyone's guess! :D
jjimbojames

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:31 pm

26mi235 wrote:The 800 is fundamentally different, as it is not run in lanes for most of the race. When you are at the back in the 800 you get to draft. You also get to run more even splits, which is generally a best distance strategy but meets the speed-decay issue of the 800 which tends to slow by 200 increment except for races run in a championship/strategic manner. Simpson, in her fast 800 said that she could not go out at the pace of the others in the first 200 but she owned the race thereafter.

Optimal 400s are trickier because the line between too fast and too slow is both narrow and individual. Furthermore, it is also probably fitness-dependent, so that at peak fitness we might see TBO speed up her first 200 but during periods of heavier training, doing so might leave her short of her finishing power. Maybe she wants to keep it such that she always finishes hard/fast no matter how tired she feels and she needs to keep that mentality, so going out hard before the championship meets could backfire. Slightly wild hypothesis, but it does seem to fit the facts. In this case, it also probably means that she got in shape earlier than normal (?), then backed off performance level by hitting the training harder again to prep for Moscow. [OK, let the shooting begin to see if any of this might make sense, I am just trying to see if some untried notions might fit TBO's data.]

[leaving post as was, several posted in between, which I did not see before a lunch break]

Very well thought out. It sounds like a very logical presumption and i wouldnt be surprised if this was spot on actually.
fasttrack85

Postby mump boy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:53 pm

While i also wonder why she can't run a whole, consistent season like everyone else the premise of this thread doesn't make sense

She's been the most consistent she's ever been

400 50.58 2 Kingston, JAM 4 May 13
400 50.53 3 Doha, QAT 10 May 13
400 52.08 6 New York NY, USA 25 May 13
400 51.31 4 Eugene OR 1 June 13
400 50.63 1 Birmingham 30 Jun 13
400 51.03 4 Lausanne, SUI 4 Jul 13

NY is the only one that stands out as being egregiously below par, apart form that she's been rather consistent
mump boy

Postby dustoff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:37 pm

TBO is not slowing her times down. Lay off the crack pipe. She isn't wealthy enough to be able to do that. She is missing out on serious pay days if she is 'holding back' from running fast on the circuit.
dustoff

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:17 pm

mump boy wrote:400 52.08 6 New York NY, USA 25 May 13

NY is the only one that stands out as being egregiously below par, apart form that she's been rather consistent

While she did finish back in 6th, the weather at the meet was quite bad, and once you have a poor time and no chance to place, it is natural to give up on the race; I suspect she could have run 51-low in better weather.
26mi235

Postby ExCoastRanger » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:34 pm

mump boy wrote:...i also wonder why she can't run a whole, consistent season like everyone else....

fasttrack85 wrote:Many pro athletes who are known to get their peak right can run fast throughout the year no matter what their event. Why is TBO different?

Some athletes have more pronounced peaks and valleys than others.
There may be many athletes who run fast throughout the season, but if they run championships most will peak for them. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being base fitness and 10 being peak performance, I'd imagine there are a fair number of athletes who can go through the season operating at about 8 and others who can only manage around 6-7. It's probably a bigger jump to the next level for some.
ExCoastRanger