So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby Weights&Shoes » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:06 pm

We're all in agreement this should happen, right? :lol:

Discuss.
Weights&Shoes
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:58 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby jamal00005 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Weights&Shoes wrote:We're all in agreement this should happen, right? :lol:

Discuss.

Well I am not sure about everyone.....but Im sure i am in agreement. Not that his coach is doing a bad job :D He is just not doing it good enough. Allez christophe ..... trouvez un nouveau coach!!!!
jamal00005
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:55 am

I'm not in agreement that Lemaitre should get a new coach.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby dustoff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:19 am

batonless relay wrote:I'm not in agreement that Lemaitre should get a new coach.


Why do you say that?

I've heard from various people in France that his coach is an alright age-group coach that has never had an elite or anyone even in the vicinity of Lemaitre.

I think he is that Bolt-esque talent from Europe, but untapped. He has shown similar abilities to Bolt pre-2008--maybe even better than him at top speed (pre-08, obviously)! He has regressed in his consistency at the start, has not added any muscle to his puny frame, and has generally been sporadic in his performances.

Part of that is the mental side, but the mental side is much easier to take care of when you are in PR shape and improving with consistency.

He needs an adjusted approach. Not necessarily a 180, but there needs to be change if he is to ever challenge as the best in the world.

I also think it is a mistake to focus so much on the 200, when I think the 100 is his better race (yes, I said it. he hasn't outperformed in the 200 by any means in spite of focusing on it).
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby dustoff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:39 am

I mention the areas he is lacking because I believe they are very similar to Bolt, who if I recall correctly, switched coaches after the 2006 season. He was always extremely talented and demonstrated it sporadically and had various injuries. I don't know the specific training he was doing obviously, but he added a bit of muscle in 07 and more in 08, but not an alarming amount. More importantly, improved his overall consistency and health, two areas where Lemaitre has had problems. Similarly, Lemaitre sometimes looks unstable when transitioning into upright running, something Bolt looked strange doing before developing further under Mills.

His current coach did a fantastic job, but the training that gets a young talent to sub 10/20 isn't the same training and development that refines them into the very best in the world. He started running around the same time, if not slightly later, than Bolt did (relative to age). He is young in training years. He cannot even powerclean his bodyweight, doubtful that he can control his bodyweight inn easy stuff like push-ups and chin-ups. Fixing these general strength and stability deficiencies will take him a long way, I think and hope.

He also seems one like another genuinely nice, smart kid (engineering & cs student) and from Europe. More West European elites, especially in something like the sprints, can only help the health and popularity of the sport.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby batonless relay » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:52 am

dustoff, I only answered it that way because nothing is more aggravating to me than people who create threads, establishing no thoughts of their owns or showing any real process and just saying..."thoughts?". I always wonder why I should bother when they clearly didn't. But, dustoff, you did. So here's my ... thoughts.

I agree with almost everything you wrote. You can see that from a exchange with "Gabriella" here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50985&hilit=lemaitre&start=35 . He has regressed, but I think his mental, for the moment, is the strongest part of his race. The ONLY reason I hesitate to separate him from his coach is that he hasn't had any major injuries and his progression COULD be a function of how the athlete learns - which ultimately falls back on how the coach teaches, I admit, so it's not the most compelling argument to stay.

dustoff wrote:His current coach did a fantastic job, but the training that gets a young talent to sub 10/20 isn't the same training and development that refines them into the very best in the world.

And that^^^ is where I believe the argument is won.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby Mocra » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:51 am

Who is his current coach and who would you like to see him work with? I thought Lemaitre was spending time in America working with different people to improve.

Speaking of french sprinters. I'd like to see Jimmy Vicaut be able to take the next step in his career and be a sub 10 sprinter. I think Jimmy is very talented.
Mocra
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:43 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby justrunfast » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:09 pm

dustoff wrote:I mention the areas he is lacking because I believe they are very similar to Bolt, who if I recall correctly, switched coaches after the 2006 season. He was always extremely talented and demonstrated it sporadically and had various injuries. I don't know the specific training he was doing obviously, but he added a bit of muscle in 07 and more in 08, but not an alarming amount. More importantly, improved his overall consistency and health, two areas where Lemaitre has had problems. Similarly, Lemaitre sometimes looks unstable when transitioning into upright running, something Bolt looked strange doing before developing further under Mills.

His current coach did a fantastic job, but the training that gets a young talent to sub 10/20 isn't the same training and development that refines them into the very best in the world. He started running around the same time, if not slightly later, than Bolt did (relative to age). He is young in training years. He cannot even powerclean his bodyweight, doubtful that he can control his bodyweight inn easy stuff like push-ups and chin-ups. Fixing these general strength and stability deficiencies will take him a long way, I think and hope.

He also seems one like another genuinely nice, smart kid (engineering & cs student) and from Europe. More West European elites, especially in something like the sprints, can only help the health and popularity of the sport.


Surely Lemaitre can clean his own body weight :shock:
justrunfast
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby dustoff » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:33 pm

justrunfast wrote:Surely Lemaitre can clean his own body weight :shock:


As of 2 or 3 years ago, he was doing cleans with less than 100lbs. I'm sure that wasn't his 'max', but if that is a workset for anybody, hell, even a female sprinter.... you are pretty far off the mark. I was amazed by how weak he seemed in the weightroom. Obviously weights don't have a strong correlation to the track otherwise Dwain and Harry A-A wouldn't be sub-elites, but if you can't even handle weights like that, it is not wonder he has trouble running the first 10-20m with any consistency.
dustoff
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby justrunfast » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 pm

dustoff wrote:
justrunfast wrote:Surely Lemaitre can clean his own body weight :shock:


As of 2 or 3 years ago, he was doing cleans with less than 100lbs. I'm sure that wasn't his 'max', but if that is a workset for anybody, hell, even a female sprinter.... you are pretty far off the mark. I was amazed by how weak he seemed in the weightroom. Obviously weights don't have a strong correlation to the track otherwise Dwain and Harry A-A wouldn't be sub-elites, but if you can't even handle weights like that, it is not wonder he has trouble running the first 10-20m with any consistency.


Wow that is surprising, I agree being able to lift a lot of weights doesn't directly correlate to track but it certainly does help block clearance.

At least the guy has a supreme acceleration pattern things can only get better from where he is now....
justrunfast
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby k3ck3c » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:48 am

apart from a new coach, he needs some emulation , and (no insult intended ) but his best teamate Pierre-alexis pessoneaux is not strong enough
k3ck3c
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: So, Christophe Lemaitre and a New Coach?

Postby batonless relay » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:34 am

k3ck3c wrote:apart from a new coach, he needs some emulation , and (no insult intended ) but his best teamate Pierre-alexis pessoneaux is not strong enough

Good point. But don't discount climate. There is a limitation to what kind of work Lemaitre can do in Aix-les-bains which has considerably more snow and cold than does Kingston, Clermon, Dallas and L.A. Last year here are how some of the world training groups for sprinters were organized:

45.6919° N, 5.9108° E: Carraz - Lemaitre http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Aix-L ... es/FR.aspx
34.0522° N, 118.2428° W: Smith - Dix, R. Thompson, R. Bailey, J. Ndure http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... raph/90089
32.7253° N, 97.3206° W: Stratton - Patton, Spearmon? http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/USTX0474
28.5475° N, 81.7494° W: Brauman - Gay, Mitchell, Ashmeade, Bledman http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... raph/34714
17.9911° N, 76.8036° W: Mills - Bolt, Blake, Weir, D. Bailey, J. Young, M. Forsythe http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/JMXX0002
17.9911° N, 76.8036° W: Francis - Powell, Frater, N. Carter http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimat ... h/JMXX0002


Every athlete above ran either sub-10 or sub-20 last year.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aaronk, Bing [Bot], lonewolf and 10 guests

cron