The "Track Town" in your state

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

The "Track Town" in your state

Postby Mighty Favog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

I may have done this before, but too bad if I did.

What is the "track town" in your state? Meaning, what city has the most to offer to a track fan? There may not be a lot but it only has to be better than anywhere else.

Here in Ohio, it's Columbus. The best spectator event of the year is the state championship meet which is there every year. Ohio State's home events aren't always thrilling or numerous but they are the Buckeyes. And small area colleges have hosted some NCAA D-III meets in indoor, outdoor and cross.

What about your state?
Mighty Favog

Re: The "Track Town" in your state

Postby BillVol » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Knoxville, Tennessee
BillVol

Postby Marlow » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:12 pm

Mighty Favog wrote:I may have done this before, but too bad if I did.

Yeah, I do remember it.
Gainesville, FL
UNF's superior facility and NCAA Regional hosting may soon move that to Jacksonville!
Marlow

Postby Daisy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Madison, Wisconsin. Especially good for cross country from a spectator perspective.
Daisy

Postby kuha » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:03 pm

In my state (of mind) it's all Eugene.
kuha

Postby gm » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Daisy wrote:Madison, Wisconsin. Especially good for cross country from a spectator perspective.

I would argue gently that La Crosse has quite a claim :)
gm

Postby GDAWG » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Austin, Texas?
GDAWG

Postby Pego » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:13 pm

gm wrote:
Daisy wrote:Madison, Wisconsin. Especially good for cross country from a spectator perspective.

I would argue gently that La Crosse has quite a claim :)

Look at the city PR's of middle-long distance of Stevens Point. Between SFH and Solinsky, not too many countries are better :D .
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Norman, Oklahoma (University of Oklahoma) has best overall venue although there are a few HS with excellent facilites.
lonewolf

Postby Blues » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm partial to the University of Arizona here in Tucson, but I have to give it to Tempe/Phoenix, since Arizona State's Sun Angel track and field stadium is a little more upscale, and since the top high school meets are held in the Tempe-Phoenix area. Both universities have some excellent big meets though (although one or two of ASU's are sometimes slightly bigger), and it's pretty much straight up (or down) Interstate-10 at 75mph from one to the other.
Blues

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:28 am

New York.... This is very tough. Queens has Icahn Stadium which is a staple on the Diamond League tour. The Bronx has Van Courtland park which is widely used by distance runners/cross county runners(as well as sprinters) from youth to pro. Then Manhattan(Washington Heights) has the Armory which is probably one of the most well known indoor tracks in the world. So i guess I really couldnt decide.
fasttrack85

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:55 am

fasttrack85 wrote:New York.... This is very tough. Queens has Icahn Stadium which is a staple on the Diamond League tour. The Bronx has Van Courtland park which is widely used by distance runners/cross county runners(as well as sprinters) from youth to pro. Then Manhattan(Washington Heights) has the Armory which is probably one of the most well known indoor tracks in the world. So i guess I really couldnt decide.

Simple . . .
the Armory is now THE indoor facility (was MSG)
VCP is the CC site
Icahn is the outdoor venue
Marlow

Postby JumboElliott » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 am

Philadelphia, home to the best annual track meet in the world.
JumboElliott

Postby fasttrack85 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:06 am

Marlow wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:New York.... This is very tough. Queens has Icahn Stadium which is a staple on the Diamond League tour. The Bronx has Van Courtland park which is widely used by distance runners/cross county runners(as well as sprinters) from youth to pro. Then Manhattan(Washington Heights) has the Armory which is probably one of the most well known indoor tracks in the world. So i guess I really couldnt decide.

Simple . . .
VCP is the CC site

Indoor/Outdoor/Cross County all constitutes track. So i guess you have to decide whether indoor, outdoor, or cross county has more prominence or relevance?
fasttrack85

Postby TxHottrack » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 am

GDAWG wrote:Austin, Texas?

Houston, Texas have tons of t&f meets from junior high to collegiate.
TxHottrack

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:10 pm

I was going to say that California has two: Los Angeles for the speed & power eventers, and Palo Alto for the distance folks. With the recent addition of the popular and high-level Oxy High-Performance meet (for distance runners) I think that L.A. takes sole ownership of the "Track Town California" title.
Grasshopper

Postby huntinwr » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:36 pm

No one has tackled Washington (state) yet, and I have to admit I'm having trouble coming up with one. Spokane obviously is a distance running mecca with Lindgren, Kardong's Bloomsday, etc. But no notable track meets are held outside of high school events (except indoor meets at UW's infamous 307-meter track. :)
huntinwr

Postby Grasshopper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:39 pm

huntinwr wrote:No one has tackled Washington (state) yet, and I have to admit I'm having trouble coming up with one. Spokane obviously is a distance running mecca with Lindgren, Kardong's Bloomsday, etc. But no notable track meets are held outside of high school events (except indoor meets at UW's infamous 307-meter track. :)

Seattle hosted the '90 Goodwill Games (on a track that's now been removed for better football seating) and is the home of the UW Huskies with their popular indoor track and recent XC national championship. Seattle Pacific University has also turned out some good NCAA D-2 athletes, as well.
Grasshopper

Postby Spickard » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 pm

For Washington it used to be Tacoma, both in terms of the sheer output of excellent athletes in the area and the home of Star Track when it was at Lincoln Bowl and the local paper cared. Tacoma is a great place to live, but the school district hasn't exactly had the sort of visionary leadership that produced Star Track at Lincoln. Today, Lincoln has been abandoned in terms of needed upgrades and "Star Track" is held at that windy ill-designed starling toilet at Mount Tahoma. Sigh. Maybe I'll vote for Bellingham?
Spickard

Postby runforlife » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Mighty Favog wrote: The best spectator event of the year is the state championship meet which is there every year.
No doubt, MF. Absolutely NO place in the whole world I'd rather be on that Fri. and Sat. than in JO stadium. What a show!! Unbelievable!!
Sorry I didn't get to talk to you this year.
runforlife

Postby bushop » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:02 pm

Grand Rapids Michigan
Grand Valley State University (D2 power)
Calvin College (D3 power)
Aquinas College, Davenport College, Cornerstone University (NIAIA teams)
• All four High School State Championship meets in area annually
East Kentwood High School (D1, 4 of last 5 state titles)
• home of Brian Diemer, Greg Meyer and Dathan Ritzenhein
Last edited by bushop on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
bushop

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:08 am

I don't live in Michigan but, like Sarah Palin, I can see it from my house (seriously). I hope that soon it will be Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti with UM's new facilities and interest in hosting major events, but GR probably beats A2 as of right now.
Mighty Favog

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:02 am

Eugene....
Dave

Postby DrJay » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 am

Boulder, CO. CU with a lot of distance success under Mark Wetmore. Altitude training destination for many athletes. Young, healthy, active, fit populace (I visited there in 1979 at age 17 after a backpacking trip in CO and within 10 minutes of driving into town my friend and I both noted how everywhere we looked people were running, biking etc.) US XC Nationals there in 2007 and again 2014.

Colorado Springs certainly could rival Boulder but hasn't yet. The OTC tore up its track some 20 years ago, but UCCS is planning to build a new one, and make it some sort of joint venture with USATF, US Paralymics, and the Special Olympics. Training destination this past winter for Flanagan, Kara Goucher, Solinsky, Jager (I think) and others.

Downside? There will never be any major track meets in CO due to the altitude.The last one was the National Sports Festival at the Air Force Academy in 1983 (7000') and that gave us two 100m "WRs" (A) and who wants that? Holding the XC nats in Boulder seems crazy to me. 12K at 5500' doesn't make sense.
DrJay

Postby BillVol » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Was thinking of neighboring Georgia. I guess would have to be Atlanta, of which Athens is nearly becoming a suburb. They have the boys state HS meet in Jefferson and, I think, the girls in Albany, but you'd have to go with Atlanta. Lots of HS talent plus a major program in Georgia Tech (and, in Athens, UGA).
BillVol

Postby Half Miler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I was going to say that California has two: Los Angeles for the speed & power eventers, and Palo Alto for the distance folks. With the recent addition of the popular and high-level Oxy High-Performance meet (for distance runners) I think that L.A. takes sole ownership of the "Track Town California" title.

In my youth, it was San Jose. Home of the long-ago-defunct San Jose State track team, and later the Bruce Jenner Classic and a few OT/NCs at SJCC. I miss those days...
Half Miler

Postby tandfman » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:44 pm

fasttrack85 wrote:
Marlow wrote:

Simple . . .
VCP is the CC site

Indoor/Outdoor/Cross County all constitutes track. So i guess you have to decide whether indoor, outdoor, or cross county has more prominence or relevance?

Why does anyone have to decide? The question is what is "Track Town" and the answer is New York City. VCP, Icahn, and the Armory are all in New York City. And you might as well throw in the NYC Marathon and Half-Marathon and all the other races that the NYRR puts on. It's still New York City.
tandfman

Postby runforlife » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Half Miler wrote:In my youth, it was San Jose.

Ahhh..yes, Speed City. What a legacy with Bud.
runforlife

Postby Grasshopper » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Half Miler wrote:
Grasshopper wrote:I was going to say that California has two: Los Angeles for the speed & power eventers, and Palo Alto for the distance folks. With the recent addition of the popular and high-level Oxy High-Performance meet (for distance runners) I think that L.A. takes sole ownership of the "Track Town California" title.

In my youth, it was San Jose. Home of the long-ago-defunct San Jose State track team, and later the Bruce Jenner Classic and a few OT/NCs at SJCC. I miss those days...

Since I live only minutes away, I do to :cry: .
Grasshopper