Lussane DL -MHJ Bondarenko 2.41 WL,PB,NR,MR

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Lussane DL -MHJ Bondarenko 2.41 WL,PB,NR,MR

Postby Dietmar239 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:44 am

Marlow wrote:
gh wrote:i have a vague recollection of somebody subsequently matching Grant's Tokyo opening (and being successful), but it's escaping me at the moment if it's true.

Then there's Thranhardt and Sjoberg starting at 2.32 in an indoor meet (and both failing!)

Yeah, it was the 87' world indoors at Indianapolis, nonetheless. Bone-head moves for sure. Thranhardt and Sjoberg were definitely known for their antics during and after competitions. They were both riding high from their 2.40m (Thranhardt) and 2.41m (Sjoberg) world indoor records earlier that season and thought they could start high. Didn't quite pan out. Paklin and Avdeyenko stole the show.

At the 87' outdoors champs in Rome, Thranhardt and Sjoberg talked everyone into going under the bar in the first round which ended up in all 16 or 17 (can't remember how many) making the final.

Always loved the personality they brought to the event.
Dietmar239

Location: I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.

Postby donley2 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:19 am

Dietmar239 wrote:At the 87' outdoors champs in Rome, Thranhardt and Sjoberg talked everyone into going under the bar in the first round which ended up in all 16 or 17 (can't remember how many) making the final.

Some of the details of your story are a bit off (although the fact they were probably the people to convince the rest to miss intentionally is probably true). They had reduced the field from 38 to 17 and they were convinced that not more than 12 would make the next height in qualifying (have no idea what that was going to be). The 17 entrants had cleared 2.27.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_World ... _high_jump
donley2

Postby Dietmar239 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:26 am

donley2 wrote:
Dietmar239 wrote:At the 87' outdoors champs in Rome, Thranhardt and Sjoberg talked everyone into going under the bar in the first round which ended up in all 16 or 17 (can't remember how many) making the final.

Some of the details of your story are a bit off (although the fact they were probably the people to convince the rest to miss intentionally is probably true). They had reduced the field from 38 to 17 and they were convinced that not more than 12 would make the next height in qualifying (have no idea what that was going to be). The 17 entrants had cleared 2.27.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_World ... _high_jump

Right. As I mentioned, couldn't remember exactly what the field had been reduced to. Dick Enberg mentioned the fact that Thranhardt, Sjoberg and as it seems Mogenburg as well got the bright idea of having folks go under the bar.
Dietmar239

Location: I'm a traveller of both time and space to be where I have been.

Postby LopenUupunut » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:09 am

And Dwight Stones had talked Sjöberg into doing just the same thing four years earlier :)

17 jumpers qualified on that occasion as well.
LopenUupunut

Previous