Veronica Campbell Brown

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Veronica Campbell Brown

Postby Loe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:43 pm

I've been saying for several years that I thought Veronica Campbell Brown was a drug cheat. Her recent failed drug test and suspension have vindicated me. The same scenario played out when I said that Marion Jones was a drug cheat, Justin Gatlin was a drug cheat, Tim Montgomery was a drug cheat, and Kelli White was a drug cheat. There are several others who I have also said were drug cheats (even athletes in other sports such as Lance Armstrong). My batting average in this regard is very nearly 1.000

The bottom line is that drug cheats ruin their sports and bring not only eternal shame to themselves, and a thievery of glory and career accomplishment to their competitors, but guilt by association to those athletes who don't poison their body and compete fairly.
Loe

Re: Veronica Campbell Brown

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Loe, you are new here, so you might want to look at the guidelines for commentary on this issue. Aside from the comments on Jeter in the other thread you have not gone into the wrong side, but you are close, and gh sometimes has a very short fuse on this topic.
26mi235

Postby Loe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:12 pm

26mi235 wrote:Loe, you are new here, so you might want to look at the guidelines for commentary on this issue. Aside from the comments on Jeter in the other thread you have not gone into the wrong side, but you are close, and gh sometimes has a very short fuse on this topic.

Are those the same "guidelines" that say the "gloves are off" when it comes to discussing athletes that have been busted for drugs by any organizing body?
Loe

Postby Mocra » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:15 pm

So Mr know it all unless this thread will be locked in about 1..2..3..4 seconds please share some more info. Are there are any more drug cheats among the best sprinters? Name and some serious evidence if you don't mind.
Mocra

Postby Loe » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:21 pm

Mocra wrote:So Mr know it all unless this thread will be locked in about 1..2..3..4 seconds please share some more info. Are there are any more drug cheats among the best sprinters? Name and some serious evidence if you don't mind.

Hmmm... A thread listing busted drug cheats will be "locked"? Wow. That really seem to show transparency. LOL! Are far as any more you will have to visit some of my blogs.
Loe

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Technically, VCB is not yet busted. Our guideline says << If any of the governing bodies have taken action against someone in this regard, then the gloves can come off. But if there's no official positive on the books, everybody is treated as 100% innocent.>>

She doesn't have an "official positive on the books" until her case is completely adjudicated (which means a suspension handed down or not). Until then, she's a hands-off topic.
gh

Postby betterthanb4 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:40 pm

"Saying it for several years''doesn't necessarily make it true. Forgive me for entering this thread thinking you had an update on her case. :roll: I would also tread lightly on this topic if I were you.
betterthanb4

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:42 pm

he shan't be treading at all
gh

Postby DentyCracker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 pm

So if it is announced that she gets a public warning only what say you Loe?
DentyCracker

Postby Pego » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:45 pm

DentyCracker wrote:So if it is announced that she gets a public warning only what say you Loe?

Do you really care what he might say?
Pego

Postby beebee » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:58 pm

This thread is quite Loe.

:cry:
beebee

Postby Blues » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:04 pm

DentyCracker wrote:So if it is announced that she gets a public warning only what say you Loe?

I know you weren't addressing me, but if she only gets a public warning (like today's rumors in several other track and field discussion groups are claiming will happen), I'll be really curious to learn the actual specific details of this case. If she really tested positive for furosemide, it seems hard to understand how the JAAA and IAAF could come to the conclusion that only a public warning was warranted, so I guess the specific details of what happened, along with the evidence, will explain that. Hopefully the official facts and details of the case will be released soon.
Blues

Postby honestly » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:09 pm

VCB stand tall my sister stand tall.In the morning i wake up i always say a little prayer for you.
honestly

Postby jamal00005 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:03 pm

LOLOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOOLOL ....Loe you have completely lost it
jamal00005

Postby dustoff » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:12 pm

Pipe dream.
dustoff

Postby athlete101 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:40 am

you Americans clearly need to wake up!! I think we can safely say VCB got caught with a drug in her system. Fact. Regardless of how serious the drug is or what it is used for it is irrelevant.

The best example I can give is a Murder charge against a Manslaughter charge. Either way you look at at a person has died and one person is responsible. That person will be charged whichever way you look at it, it just depends whether their charged with murder or manslaughter. (Oscar Pistorius)

VCB is clearly guilty, if she gets a warning she is guilty, if she serves a ban she is still guilty!!
athlete101

Postby Speedster » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:58 am

Any indications if this will be decided before or after Moscow? Is there any chance she can race there?
Speedster

Postby gh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:27 am

athlete101 wrote:you Americans clearly need to wake up!! I think we can safely say VCB got caught with a drug in her system. Fact. Regardless of how serious the drug is or what it is used for it is irrelevant.

The best example I can give is a Murder charge against a Manslaughter charge. Either way you look at at a person has died and one person is responsible. That person will be charged whichever way you look at it, it just depends whether their charged with murder or manslaughter. (Oscar Pistorius)

VCB is clearly guilty, if she gets a warning she is guilty, if she serves a ban she is still guilty!!

And if she gets nothing, she's not guilty. That's one of the wonders of a civilized society: you get due process. And this being a civilized board, we allow for due process to take its course before we pull out the torches and pitchforks.

ps—Americans?! Most of VCB's ardent defenders are most decidedly not Americans.
gh

Postby olorin » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 am

According to British news she is likely to get a six months ban
http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/0 ... oping-ban/
olorin

Postby fasttrack85 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:32 am

The minibus will roll over VCB once and for all. Damn shame.

Does anyone know what explanation she could have given to have her offense become a lesser offense? Does she have high blood pressure or any illness?
fasttrack85

Postby dustoff » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:09 am

fasttrack85 wrote:The minibus will roll over VCB once and for all. Damn shame.

Does anyone know what explanation she could have given to have her offense become a lesser offense? Does she have high blood pressure or any illness?

If you believe the article, the substance wasn't lasix, but something else. Earlier rumors were that it was lasix, which is highly illegal and has resulted in 2-year and lifetime bans in the past.

If it is lasix, I cannot see a reasonable/non-corrupt scenario that results in less than a 2 yer ban. If it is some other substance, it will depend of course on what that substance is.
dustoff

Postby Blues » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 am

dustoff wrote:
fasttrack85 wrote:The minibus will roll over VCB once and for all. Damn shame.

If you believe the article, the substance wasn't lasix, but something else.

Question.. Does that mean that an article states that the involved banned substance wasn't lasix, or does it mean that if the report of a 6 month sanction is accurate then you feel that the drug couldn't have been Lasix based on the reduced sanction being given?

A few posters in various T&F groups have posted that VCB actually tested positive for a drug other than furosemide (Lasix), but I haven't seen that stated in any actual media news source yet.
Blues

Postby gh » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:30 am

I don't believe that there has ever been a 100% credible identification of any substance (which makes sense, since there is officially supposed to be radio silence on these things until they are adjudicated).
gh

Postby dustoff » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:36 am

Blues wrote:
Question.. Does that mean that an article states that the involved banned substance wasn't lasix, or does it mean that if the report of a 6 month sanction is accurate then you feel that the drug couldn't have been Lasix based on the reduced sanction being given?
The way I read the article, it stated that the substance wasn't lasix. It doesn't offer any evidence, but say that.

I would believe that if the ban was 6mos, then it wouldn't be lasix. If it was 6mo ban AND lasix, it would be incredulous to me that the process is not corrupt.
A few posters in various T&F groups have posted that VCB actually tested positive for a drug other than furosemide (Lasix), but I haven't seen that stated in any actual media news source yet.

I think that is sourced by one of the Jamaican news outlets (if I recall) that reported that rumor. There is no official source of the substance, to my knowledge.
dustoff

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:44 pm

By the way, if she does get a 6-month ban she is guilty. But guilty of what; essentially the 6-month ban says that she was guilty of having something that triggered a positive in the testing but that she is not guilty of PEDs usage. That isshe is not a drug cheat, she is someone that has a [minor] drug ban. If they rule she was a drug cheat then they would not give the 6-month classification.
26mi235

Postby Blues » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:21 pm

dustoff wrote:
Blues wrote:
The way I read the article, it stated that the substance wasn't lasix. It doesn't offer any evidence, but say that.

If you mean the statement quoted below, I take it to mean that she allegedly didn't use the substance (that's been reported to be Lasix) to cheat. I read the comment as being about what her intent was, without stating anything about whether the drug really was or wasn't Lasix. If the article linked to earlier in the thread is the wrong article, I apologize.

".....Campbell-Brown’s case, which is ongoing, appears to involve a “lesser” offense, that she did not use the substance, reported to be Lasix (furosemide), to cheat, despite its ability to act as a masking agent for performance-enhancing drugs."
Blues

Postby honestly » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:38 pm

It wasnt lasix, and yes she do have blood pressure problem thats why she wasnt ablt to train properly last year for the olympics games.
honestly

Postby dustoff » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:11 pm

honestly wrote:It wasnt lasix, and yes she do have blood pressure problem thats why she wasnt ablt to train properly last year for the olympics games.

lol lasix isn't used for blood pressure in people in their 20s and 30s.
dustoff

Postby dustoff » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Blues wrote: If you mean the statement quoted below, I take it to mean that she allegedly didn't use the substance (that's been reported to be Lasix) to cheat. I read the comment as being about what her intent was, without stating anything about whether the drug really was or wasn't Lasix. If the article linked to earlier in the thread is the wrong article, I apologize.

".....Campbell-Brown’s case, which is ongoing, appears to involve a “lesser” offense, that she did not use the substance, reported to be Lasix (furosemide), to cheat, despite its ability to act as a masking agent for performance-enhancing drugs."

Ah, that is definitely a possibly correct interpretation. It wasn't written in the most clear way and I can definitely see [what you said] as being the author's intended statement.

Either way, I can't imagine furosemide as being used and not resulting in a substantial (more than 6mos) punishment. If it did result in such a light punishment, I would think it was part of some backroom dealings to help save a star.
dustoff

Postby t_monk » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:09 pm

From my understanding it isn't or rather wasn't LASIX. I've been asking people to wait since this story bust, to hear what her explanation was and what the banned substance actually was.

So.... If it wasn't LASIX and something actually minor, then this would change everything would it not?
t_monk

Postby Blues » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:17 pm

t_monk wrote:From my understanding it isn't or rather wasn't LASIX. I've been asking people to wait since this story bust, to hear what her explanation was and what the banned substance actually was.

So.... If it wasn't LASIX and something actually minor, then this would change everything would it not?

Depending on what the substance really was if it wasn't Lasix, it might make certain explanations of the accidental and/or innocent use of the substance more plausible. But since it's obviously a banned substance, there should still be well documented evidence proving that it wasn't being used with any connection to PEDs, and that it was prescribed or ordered for her for a legitimate, non-PED indication. What allowed Maggie Vessey and Hope Solo to avoid a ban for testing positive for canrenone was the fact that they had documented evidence that the medication was legitimately prescribed by their physicians for a valid non-PED medical reason, and also that they weren't aware the prescription product contained the banned substance.
Blues

Postby toyracer » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:17 am

I'm wondering what it taking so long, this process does have a mandated timeline. The JAAA said recently that it still has not been advised of the B sample findings.
toyracer

Postby shivfan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:57 am

"Jamaican sprinter Veronica Campbell-Brown will avoid the standard two-year ban after testing positive for a reported banned diuretic in May, sources told the Times of London. The report meshes well with previous remarks from the IAAF that Campbell-Brown’s case, which is ongoing, appears to involve a “lesser” offense, that she did not use the substance, reported to be Lasix (furosemide), to cheat, despite its ability to act as a masking agent for performance-enhancing drugs."

shivfan

Postby dustoff » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:01 am

You just reposted the same article.
dustoff

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:52 am

First, the Lasix connection was never established as verified, just the some unidentified source reported that it was. A lot of jumping on the deep end on unverified aspects of the case that could have been diminished here.

Second, given that she is going to get a bit of a ban, it will take her in to the off season, so I am not sure that she is pushing hard to get it finished immediately. Given the unusual statement by the authorities that it was a minor infraction should have almost immediately truncated a lot of assumptions as being at least unlikely as opposed to almost 'certain'.
26mi235

Postby ShotYa » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:11 pm

gh wrote:he shan't be treading at all

go read my post, fa:ggot
ShotYa

Postby Megas15 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:33 am

olorin wrote:According to British news she is likely to get a six months ban

I am so sick of the hypocrisy! When the hell does someone get six months for Lasix? The use of lasix is limited!
And what CREAM did she use? I am really curious to know? I am sure there are many other athletes would like to know the name of it?
I don't care how many races she wins from now on...at least I am not a lunatic!
Megas15

Postby t_monk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:31 am

Megas15 wrote:

I am so sick of the hypocrisy! When the hell does someone get six months for Lasix? The use of lasix is limited!
And what CREAM did she use? I am really curious to know? I am sure there are many other athletes would like to know the name of it?

You sure it's LASIX?
t_monk

Postby 26mi235 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:51 am

Megas15 wrote:

There is some unattrbuted report it is Lasix and suddenly it is fact number 1. Since the authorities of the sport made the unusual comment that it was only a minor violation, why don't you put the pieces out and see what fits. The piece that is most often seemingly out of place is the one that is inconsistent with the officially reported facts.
26mi235

Postby betterthanb4 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:33 am

VCB's case is all speculative at this point, so everyone should stop getting worked up.Trying to dissect bits and pieces of information from various news sources is not getting us anywhere.
There are many impetuous posters here, that are ready to chastise her, and burn her at the stake without all the Facts. :( Please step away from the fire, drop your pitchforks and return to your homes. It's best to wait for the proceedings where all will be revealed.
betterthanb4

Next