Jessica Judd makes it a trio!


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby aaronk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:23 am

In the past 4 years (2009-2012), there were 1, 1, 2, and 1 teenage girls who ran under 2:00 for the 800 meters!
In 2013......so far!!.....there are THREE!!

I don't know if this is an all-time record, but it is from 2009 on.
Maybe the Chinese did better in 1993 or 1997.

But Mary Cain, Ajee Wilson, and now Jessica Judd are under two minutes.
And each COULD improve!

In May next year, Wilson will turn 20, but Cain and Judd will remain teenagers.

The only other American girl who might go sub-2:00 in the next year would be Sabrina Southerland.
Does anyone know of any other teenage girls who might run a sub-2:00 this year (while still a teen)??
American or otherwise?

Even if not an A-T record, this has been a FANTASTIC year for teen girls in the 800!!

And Judd was the only one of the three to WIN her race!!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby ptn » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:29 am

17 years old Aníta Hinriksdóttir got close today w/ 2:00.49.
ptn
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 10:17 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby norunner » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:30 am

aaronk wrote:Does anyone know of any other teenage girls who might run a sub-2:00 this year (while still a teen)??
American or otherwise?
I'm quoting myself from the outdoor results thread:
Anita Hinriksdottir from Iceland (born 96) ran a 2:00.49 over 800m in Mannheim today which is at least as good as Mary Cain's 1:59 because Hinriksdottir ran her time in a junior race without any pace makers and 3 seconds ahead of the competition.
norunner
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby aaronk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:35 am

Just thought of something else.
All 3 girls ran their times THIS month!!!

And two of them in just the past WEEK!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:42 am

I'm loving the Juddernaut bandwaggon. It's good to see so many western athletes contesting the middle distances so well so young.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby Rothosen » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:57 am

Now that the barriers been broken it will be more I have to...rather then canI....
Rothosen
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby aaronk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 am

Rothosen wrote:Now that the barriers been broken it will be more I have to...rather then canI....


Of course, we should remember that a teenage girl (or boy!!) can be as much as a college sophomore.....or even have turned professional, like Ajee Wilson......and still be a teenager!!
And I'm talking about actual dates of birth, not more generic parameters like "youth" or "junior".
Thus, Wilson, who turns 20 on May 8, 2014, can still run as a teenager through next May 7th!!!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby Master Po » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:09 am

norunner wrote:...
Anita Hinriksdottir from Iceland (born 96) ran a 2:00.49 over 800m in Mannheim today which is at least as good as Mary Cain's 1:59 because Hinriksdottir ran her time in a junior race without any pace makers and 3 seconds ahead of the competition.


I am impressed with this one. Thanks for bringing attention to her in this thread. That 2:00.49, under those circumstances, is a noteworthy time for a 17yo athlete, imo.

She was 4th at WJC last year. Youngest athlete to make the final. Most were birth year 93-94, with Jessica Judd (silver) the closest in age (1 year older). She might well have medaled, but basically served as the rabbit, leading strongly for nearly 600m, and faltering in the last ~50m to see the bronze go the Moroccan woman whose name escapes me at this moment. She approached that race kind of like a 400m runner, which is the other event of her focus last year and this.

Hinriksdottir closed 2012 with a 2:03.15 PB (& 2 other @ 2:03.xx). This year so far she had run 2:01.17 (22 June, a week ago), winning that race by nearly 7 seconds. That one was in the Euro Team Ch (3rd League), so it also would not have been rabbited, and given her margin of victory, she likely led it gun to tape.

Also has a 54.29 PB this year, and 4:16.51 PB (an event she doesn't run very often -- first one this year; only ran one last year, @ 4:22). The 1500 PB was run the day after the 2:01.17, & in it she won by 8+ seconds.

Obviously, she will benefit from being in closer competition, but these marks are impressive. I wonder if her aim is to try to make WC, or WYC this year.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby tandfman » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:42 am

Master Po wrote:
norunner wrote:...
Anita Hinriksdottir from Iceland (born 96) ran a 2:00.49 over 800m in Mannheim today which is at least as good as Mary Cain's 1:59 because Hinriksdottir ran her time in a junior race without any pace makers and 3 seconds ahead of the competition.

I am impressed with this one. Thanks for bringing attention to her in this thread. That 2:00.49, under those circumstances, is a noteworthy time for a 17yo athlete, imo. . . .
I wonder if her aim is to try to make WC, or WYC this year.

Why wouldn't she try to do both?
tandfman
 
Posts: 15041
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby Master Po » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:50 am

^ I should have written "and/or" to be as precise as possible. That noted -- I don't know her, or anything about her -- so I have no idea what her aims are for this season. Wasn't really trying to present it as an either/or.

On the Youth side of the ledger, apart from Cain, the next Youth athlete on the 2013 800m list is Georgia Wassall (AUS), at 2:03.37, so about 3 sec behind Hinkriksdottir. This would seem to make her a strong favorite at WYC, at least based on SB.

On the WC side of things, she does have the "B" standard, and so I think Iceland could send her. (Though I always feel like there is another layer of rules to this that I am forgetting...)
Last edited by Master Po on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby croflash » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:54 am

I won't acknowledge those times until the birth certificates of these athletes have been checked by authorities in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Africa. :wink:
croflash
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:29 am
Location: Germany

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby norunner » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:13 pm

Master Po wrote:I am impressed with this one. Thanks for bringing attention to her in this thread. That 2:00.49, under those circumstances, is a noteworthy time for a 17yo athlete, imo.
Here is a video of her 2:00.49 today: http://www.leichtathletik.tv/index.php/ ... riksd-ttir
norunner
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby highjumpfan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:40 pm

Their is also Amy weissenbach of Stanford and the USA who has run 2:00.98 this year. Does not turn 20 until next year.
highjumpfan
 
Posts: 329
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: right where I'm supposed to be.

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby aaronk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:49 pm

highjumpfan wrote:Their is also Amy weissenbach of Stanford and the USA who has run 2:00.98 this year. Does not turn 20 until next year.


Thanks for the reminder!
I'd thought she was already 20!!
Guess because her HS 2:02.04 happened in 2011, as a HS junior!!
Hope she can do it!

norunner wrote:
Master Po wrote:I am impressed with this one. Thanks for bringing attention to her in this thread. That 2:00.49, under those circumstances, is a noteworthy time for a 17yo athlete, imo.
Here is a video of her 2:00.49 today: http://www.leichtathletik.tv/index.php/ ... riksd-ttir


Thanks for the video!
My God, at first I thought it was a video of Jessica Judd!!
They're built.....or seem to be built.....the same.
Long and gangly, with the same hair length and style!
They both even sat on the track after their races!! :wink:

Yes, I can definitely see Ms Hinriksdottir breaking 2:00 this summer.
She might have to get into a race where she's pulled to the time, but she CAN do it!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby doug5321 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:51 pm

croflash wrote:I won't acknowledge those times until the birth certificates of these athletes have been checked by authorities in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Africa. :wink:


south africa is very advanced they had the first heart transplant, so they definetely have accurate birth records for at least 50 years.
doug5321
 
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:08 pm

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby croflash » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:41 pm

doug5321 wrote:
croflash wrote:I won't acknowledge those times until the birth certificates of these athletes have been checked by authorities in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Africa. :wink:


south africa is very advanced they had the first heart transplant, so they definetely have accurate birth records for at least 50 years.


I just find it funny that somehow people don't doubt the age of Cain, Judd or other Americans/Europeans, but when some supposedly "random" African teenager performs extraordinarily, all hell breaks loose and his/her age (among other things) gets questioned and the athlete scrutinized. The double standard is wrong.
croflash
 
Posts: 2361
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:29 am
Location: Germany

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby eldanielfire » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:55 pm

croflash wrote:
doug5321 wrote:
croflash wrote:I won't acknowledge those times until the birth certificates of these athletes have been checked by authorities in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Africa. :wink:


south africa is very advanced they had the first heart transplant, so they definetely have accurate birth records for at least 50 years.


I just find it funny that somehow people don't doubt the age of Cain, Judd or other Americans/Europeans, but when some supposedly "random" African teenager performs extraordinarily, all hell breaks loose and his/her age (among other things) gets questioned and the athlete scrutinized. The double standard is wrong.


It's not a double standard when a number of African countries have a history of poor documentation of births and a number of athletes in several sports whose age has been clearly fudged. That is simply what the evidence and experience has shown to happen.
eldanielfire
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:07 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby aaronk » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:36 pm

While this African age bit is a bit off-topic, we should take note that the 3 girls who have gone 1:59 this year are.......all from the Northern Hemisphere!!

The past few sub-2 teens (Jelimo, Semenya, and Niyonsaba) had been from.......Africa!!

I hope Cain, Wilson, and Judd get to race each other somewhere this summer.
(Though not at the WC's, since Cain is in a different event than the other two!)
aaronk
 
Posts: 3338
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:10 am

Master Po wrote:
norunner wrote:...
Anita Hinriksdottir from Iceland (born 96) ran a 2:00.49 over 800m in Mannheim today which is at least as good as Mary Cain's 1:59 because Hinriksdottir ran her time in a junior race without any pace makers and 3 seconds ahead of the competition.


Obviously, she will benefit from being in closer competition, but these marks are impressive. I wonder if her aim is to try to make WC, or WYC this year.



Also if she moves to a much warmer clime; there is a place for rent just down the road here in Northern Minnesota.
:]

[Just teasing. I know Iceland is actually a very nice country weather-wise, on the coasts at least.]
.
Brian
 
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:28 am

aaronk wrote:While this African age bit is a bit off-topic, we should take note that the 3 girls who have gone 1:59 this year are.......all from the Northern Hemisphere!!

The past few sub-2 teens (Jelimo, Semenya, and Niyonsaba) had been from.......Africa!!

I hope Cain, Wilson, and Judd get to race each other somewhere this summer.
(Though not at the WC's, since Cain is in a different event than the other two!)


The difference is 1:59 versus 1:56; those are too different neighborhoods, just like 1:59 and 2:03.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16315
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby icerunner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:30 am

Anita Hinriksdottir will not be going to WC in Moscow this summer. She came to this decision with her coach in order to concentrate on WYC and EJC. I think it is a smart decision. She and her coach are thinking of the years to come. Just check the first 10 names on the all-time world list in the 800m women 17 years and younger.(iaaf.org). Apart from Cain and Hinriksdottir most of the athletes there did their lifetime best(or very close to it, did not improve a lot) at the age of 17. Now there is something seriously wrong with that!!!
icerunner
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby 18.99s » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:00 am

doug5321 wrote:
croflash wrote:I won't acknowledge those times until the birth certificates of these athletes have been checked by authorities in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Africa. :wink:


south africa is very advanced they had the first heart transplant, so they definetely have accurate birth records for at least 50 years.


Only for white people.
18.99s
 
Posts: 704
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby icerunner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:07 am

Just to inform you. Iceland has the best and most acurate birth record in the world. They have an accurate records over all births in Iceland since 1700. When a child is born in Iceland it gets a social security number that follows it all it's life. This is unfortunately not done in USA for example. You don't have to register to vote in Iceland, you just show up where you are supposed to and there is no possibillity of cheating.
icerunner
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby lionelp1 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:15 am

croflash wrote:I won't acknowledge those times until the birth certificates of these athletes have been checked by authorities in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Africa. :wink:


Some of the trash talk on this thread is slightly absurd; who here on this Forum, has hard evidence that the young athletes from Africa are not the age that is stated. The answer is certain people here are showing the usual unjustified bias, and if a few people are not the age that is stated on African birth records, it does not prove that all the great young talent from Africa is necessarily not the age stated.. Were any of you there at the birth of any of the great East African athletes.?
lionelp1
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:48 am

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby bushop » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:10 am

croflash wrote:I won't acknowledge those times until the birth certificates of these athletes have been checked by authorities in Kenya, Ethiopia and South Africa. :wink:
doug5321 wrote:south africa is very advanced they had the first heart transplant, so they definetely have accurate birth records for at least 50 years.
icerunner wrote:Just to inform you. Iceland have the best and most acurate birth records in the world.

doug5321 and icerunner, you may want to note that croflash used what is commonly call and "wink smilie" to convey a silly or sarcastic tone to her/ his post.
bushop
 
Posts: 1866
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: near the toys and tape measures

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby Rothosen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:22 am

icerunner wrote:Anita Hinriksdottir will not be going to WC in Moscow this summer. She came to this decision with her coach in order to concentrate on WYC and EJC. I think it is a smart decision. She and her coach are thinking of the years to come. Just check the first 10 names on the all-time world list in the 800m women 17 years and younger.(iaaf.org). Apart from Cain and Hinriksdottir most of the athletes there did their lifetime best(or very close to it, did not improve a lot) at the age of 17. Now there is something seriously wrong with that!!!


A decision that for most on this board considered silly for Mary Cain. I seemed alone in the belief that perhaps seeing if she beat her peers was as important as going to the WC to get soundly beat.
Rothosen
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby Master Po » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:55 am

^ this does seem a good decision for Hinkriksdottir. As of now, she is a 2:00 800 runner. No doubt she can go faster, but hard for me to see that level advancing very far at WC. As for Cain, I think she has a decent chance of making the WC final, so IMO her participation in WC seems ok to me. But I don't think your ideas about the value of her participation in wyc are silly. I think it could have been a good competition aNd experience for Cain. :)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2630
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: Jessica Judd makes it a trio!

Postby norunner » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:00 am

Judd and Hinriksdottir are both on the final entries list for the U20 ECs next week in Rieti. That's going to be a very interesting race and thanks to the EAA there will be an official livestream, so we get to watch it live.
norunner
 
Posts: 1272
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests