Long Jump ultimate barrier?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Long Jump ultimate barrier?

Postby user4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:40 am

AFTERBURNER wrote:Modifying running surfarces and boards for longer jumps would be CHEATING imho

Then Jesse Owens was cheated in the mid-sixties.
user4

Postby dj » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:26 am

user4 wrote:
AFTERBURNER wrote:Modifying running surfarces and boards for longer jumps would be CHEATING imho

Then Jesse Owens was cheated in the mid-sixties.

And Owens was cheating the jumpers of 50 years earlier who didn't jump off a board? :mrgreen:
dj

Postby pickle47 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 am

user4 wrote:No, it will be the running surfaces and boards that will lead to the greater improvements in jumping distance just as they have had a significant role in the 100 WR time.

And sand! Don't forget sand!

Seriously, running surfaces and boards aren't going to contribute much more. Running surfaces have a standard of how much force they can return, and I don't know about boards but would assume the same thing. It's called a board because, when I was in school, it was made of wood. Now it's probably something similar, but it's not rubber and not spring loaded.
pickle47

Postby user4 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 am

pickle47 wrote:
user4 wrote:No, it will be the running surfaces and boards that will lead to the greater improvements in jumping distance just as they have had a significant role in the 100 WR time.

Seriously, running surfaces and boards aren't going to contribute much more. Running surfaces have a standard of how much force they can return, and I don't know about boards but would assume the same thing. It's called a board because, when I was in school, it was made of wood. Now it's probably something similar, but it's not rubber and not spring loaded.

.. true for now, but eventually the rules will change and the standard surface will be more springlike.
user4

Postby Pego » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:28 am

user4 wrote:
pickle47 wrote:

.. true for now, but eventually the rules will change and the standard surface will be more springlike.

Once it becomes spring-like, it will become a completely new event. Just like a fiberglass PV.
Pego

Postby Tuariki » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:40 am

Re-introduce the somersault
Tuariki

Postby Pego » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:49 am

Tuariki wrote:Re-introduce the somersault

What was your PR? I know, it was an impressive number.
Pego

Postby lonewolf » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:59 pm

user4 wrote:[.. true for now, but eventually the rules will change and the standard surface will be more springlike.

Then it will be a different event with new records ala implement changes.
And, they still will not jump 10 meters.
Most boards are still wooden boards.. we occasionally see solid 4 x 20 x 48 chunks of hard rubber-like material. The intent is to avoid replacing wooden boards so frequently. It does not retain spike marks and the foot does not "slip" as it sometimes does on wooden boards but it has no "spring" to it at all.
lonewolf

Previous