Portland Roughriders Twilight--July 15 (19?)

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Portland Roughriders Twilight--July 15 (19?)

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 am

DrJay wrote:
Marlow wrote:Yer killing me, smalls.
There used to be a guy here named eldrick who also thought runners were automatons. Running this fast is very hard. Salazar and his charges are doing the best they can, which is to say, better than anyone else could, so perhaps we need to lighten up on the criticisms.

Yeah, but at least eldrick was logical and scientific (to a fault) in his approach. I kinda miss his numbers.

Did you see the interview with Salazar after Hasay's run?
HE was critical of HIMSELF!!
Albeit for different reasons than in my critique.
He said he didn't rest her enough after super hard workouts.
He said that people more experienced, like Goucher, could handle it better, that Hasay may have been too new to the harder workouts, and thus needed different handling AFTER those hard workouts.
And he said it was HIS fault!
He sounded VERY humble and self-effacing in his comments.

As for being scientific, forget it. Science ain't my thing.
But here's a bit of logic.

They'd set the 5K goal at 15:55, thus calling for a negative split.
What if they'd set the 5K at 15:50 instead?
She'd be most tired in the 2nd half, just when they were wanting her to run faster!!
Even to the point of wanting her to run a 70 or faster last lap!
If she'd passed 5K in 15:50....instead of 15:55......she'd have been 5 secs AHEAD of pace instead of 5 secs BEHIND!!
Those 5 seconds probably wouldn't have been noticeable to her.......especially if they'd been fairly evenly divided among those 12+ laps.
With those extra 5 seconds, she'd have had some "wiggle room" to slow down a bit in the 2nd half...when she was most tired.

Yes, maybe the final result would have been the same.
It's hard to say.
But maybe, just maybe, those extra 5 seconds would have brought her in under the goal!!
To put all (or most) of their marbles on a 70 sec final lap was placing too much of a burden on already tired legs.

And Salazar even said as much in the post-run interview.
He said she'd done these kinds of things in workouts.
And he admitted his mistake was in thinking she could do the same in a race situation.

I respect Salazar a LOT......he's had MAJOR successes with SEVERAL people!!
But just as no athlete is a perfect machine (an "automaton"), no coach is perfect in his/her strategizing.
Salazar basically said as much himself!!
Last edited by aaronk on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
aaronk

Postby Samurai_Runner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 am

aaronk wrote:Congrats to Jordan Hasay for running a 20 second PR and making the team!
There....satisfied??
Now, back to the REALITY of the situation.

1. This attempt has been planned since she ran her 10K at USATF.
2. Instead of Galen or Mo or someone else capable of being a pacer, Salazar instead chooses 40 year old twins who can't run much faster than Hasay to pace her.
3. They do NOT hold a steady pace, running a 78, then a 75, then a 77, then a 76, then 78, then 75, and so on!! Steady is....STEADY!!!
4. She falls behind. Why?? Tired?? Maybe. But it wouldn't have made much difference to move from a 78 to a 77, or from a 77 to a 76. Nothing drastic, just enough!!
5. He separates Hasay and Erdmann. In pre-run interviews, BOTH said they could run A's!! No talk of a B!! But now, she MUST run an A........or stay home. If they'd run together, and if Hasay had run the same exact time....31:46......then all Erdmann would have had to do was run 32:05.....NOT 31:45!!
So Hasay gets HER team spot.....but now it's much more difficult for Erdmann to get HER team spot!!

Poor planning!!!

You keep repeating yourself with the same indefensible statements. Your statement in #5 is also completely wrong. 'if Hasay had run the same exact time....31:46......then all Erdmann would have had to do was run 32:05.." At least 1 of them had to run the A in order for both to make the team. Both running the B, whether in the same race or different races would have the same result.
Samurai_Runner

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:59 am

Alberto Salazar is a classy person and coach. He proved it once again in the post race interview, by shouldering the "blame" for the 1 sec miss of the A standard. The fact of the matter is that Jordan Hasay ran a 20 sec PR in her 4th (or was it 5th?) 10k of the season. It was an amazing performance, despite the heartbreaking fact that she missed the A standard by 1 second.

One of the marks of an excellent coach (or athlete) is the ability to learn from every race. Salazar would never blame his athlete for such a close miss, especially when she ran the best 10k of her life. No, he shouldered the blame himself, and thus allowed Hasay to enjoy the PR race. The joy in his face when he met Hasay after the race was genuine, and appropriate for the occasion.
bobguild76

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:23 am

It's unfortunate that there was a conflict of interest in this race. Had Erdmann not been a Salazar athlete, we wouldn't be having most of this conversation since Salazar would have set Hasay up to run around 32 flat. I don't really believe that running 18+ seconds faster than she needed to will affect Hasay in Moscow (and psychologically, it might even help her), but if you look at it as a semi-final, you'd want your athlete to expend as little energy as possible to make the final.
bruce3404

Postby Bob Duncan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:25 am

Samurai_Runner wrote:
Bob Duncan wrote:
Alan Shank wrote:So, Erdmann needs an A to go to Moscow, right? Or Hastings can go? After all the hype about "best female workout ever", etc., I'm somewhat surprised Hasay could not get the A.

Well, even though this thing was set up for her, that had to add to the pressure on her. Such expectations make some of us crack!

I wouldn't call missing the goal by 1+ seconds "cracking". Had the pace been on schedule instead of having to make up 9 seconds over the last 2 laps, she would've made it.

Naw, I didn't mean that she "cracked", as obviously she ran very, very well. I meant that she could have blown up big time, gotten nervous and distraught, as she has so many fans and people who place high expectations on her. We've all seen that happen before with runners who were pressured to deliver a win.

Hasay has repeatedly shown her toughness and resilience. With Salazar's guidance she will likely achieve some times many of us would not have thought possible. Her progression in the 10,000 this year is pretty amazing, especially given her long season.

I really hope that Erdmann can come through and get the A. Regardless of whether these "controlled" races are ethical, they sure have generated a lot of excitement and discussion. We can only speculate how last night's event might have played out if Erdmann had chosen to run.
Bob Duncan

Postby Marlow » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 am

aaronk wrote:Did you see the interview with Salazar after Hasay's run?

And guess who has more insight into himself and his charges? Plus a tad more experience. Plus a history of success.
He is not, of course, infallible, hence his own self-criticism (which shows a great deal of super-consciousness), but there is no one on THIS board who need question his methods.
Marlow

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:41 am

Marlow wrote:

And guess who has more insight into himself and his charges? Plus a tad more experience. Plus a history of success.
He is not, of course, infallible, hence his own self-criticism (which shows a great deal of super-consciousness), but there is no one on THIS board who need question his methods.

Just a hypothetical question......

What if this board were a baseball or football board?
Would you be saying that no one need question X team's manager's/coach's methods?
I'd say that baseball/football manager's/coach's get second-guessed about 100 times more than your most successful track coaches?
Why should track coaches be immune from "Monday morning quarterbacking"??
aaronk

Postby pickle47 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:06 am

Monday morning quarterbacking = lowest form of analysis. It's the uninformed critiquing the informed, the uneducated counseling (in absentia) the educated, the driver of a Playskool kiddie car turning the wheel but the car doesn't turn.

Beep, beep.
pickle47

Postby HopStepJump » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:32 am

So, the goal of the meet was to get Hasay on the team. Not only did she do so, but she PR'd by 20 seconds after only being with Salazar a short amount of time. That's phenomenal. All of this other stuff about the A standard is noise. Hasay's goal was to make the team. Check. Salazar's primary goal was to put her in the best position to do so. Check.

If Erdmann is going to be on the team, she needs to go out and earn it.
HopStepJump

Postby KevinM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:34 am

pickle47 wrote:Monday morning quarterbacking = lowest form of analysis. It's the uninformed critiquing the informed, the uneducated counseling (in absentia) the educated, the driver of a Playskool kiddie car turning the wheel but the car doesn't turn.

Beep, beep.

Agreed. Also insane is the inane minutiae being critiqued.
KevinM

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:02 am

KevinM wrote:
pickle47 wrote:Monday morning quarterbacking = lowest form of analysis. It's the uninformed critiquing the informed, the uneducated counseling (in absentia) the educated, the driver of a Playskool kiddie car turning the wheel but the car doesn't turn.

Beep, beep.

Agreed. Also insane is the inane minutiae being critiqued.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

So you're saying you have NEVER done any "MMQ'ing" of your fave team's manager or coach?
You've NEVER told an umpire or referee that he's "blind as a bat"??
Or maybe you've agreed with EVERY decision they've ever made!
And that includes your local college or high school coach or ref!!
aaronk

Postby KevinM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:21 am

aaronk wrote:Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

So you're saying you have NEVER done any "MMQ'ing" of your fave team's manager or coach?

I'm not saying any of those things. I'm saying your level of scrutiny is absurd and assumes the existence of a level of control over variables that simply does not exist.
KevinM

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 am

The founding fathers believed even obsessed lunatics had the right to express their opinion, hence the first amendment.
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:12 am

Lunacy is defined as insanity relieved intermittently by periods of clear mindedness.
Tuariki

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:30 am

Tuariki wrote:The founding fathers believed even obsessed lunatics had the right to express their opinion, hence the first amendment.

But this is not a form for first amendment speech, as we all know.
26mi235

Postby Samurai_Runner » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:03 pm

aaronk wrote:Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

The problem is that your critiques lack common sense and an informed understanding of the sport. They are equivalent to criticizing the coach because his kicker missed an easy field goal to win the Super Bowl. It is overlooked that the coach got them to the Super Bowl, and got them close enough to attempt the game-winning field goal.
So, Salazar setup races to be run with pacers in the evening to optimize his runners' chances of running their best and making the team. So you end up critiquing his use of male pacers and having his athletes run in separate races? How ridiculous. And the basis of your argument was? Prior experience in coaching pro track athletes? Prior strategy used in a similar situation where 2 distance runners had to make the standard? I guess not.
Samurai_Runner

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:44 pm

Athletes in separate races makes good sense, to the point where it would be a strategic mistake to have them in the same race. The reason is that Erdmann does not know if she has to hit the A or B standard. Going for the A when only the B was needed would likely diminish her odds of getting the B because she would be going hard from the gun, not able to maintain, and blow up. Conversely, if she went for the B in that race it would have been a problem because she would not have been able to readjust to the pace needed for the A.

A second reason, of course, is the possibility that she has a sore Achilles tendon and resting it a few more days might make a difference. On the other hand, it might make it virtually moot if she has had to back off of training and racing on it hurts it more. I would not be surprised if she starts at the requisite 76 pace and then punts when she cannot maintain it and the tendon is a problem.
26mi235

Postby DrJay » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:24 pm

There's also something inherently different about Monday morning QBing running coaches and, say, NFL football coaches. In the former, the coach's job mostly ends when the gun goes off. His/her job has been to supervise the training and preparation of the athlete. After the gun, the athlete is generally on his/her own. On the other hand, the coach is intimately involved in dozens to hundreds of moment-to-moment decisions in an NFL, MLB, or NBA game. It lends itself more to second-guessing and critiquing.
DrJay

Postby bushop » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:54 pm

This criticism directed at Salazar re. Hasay's 10k is like criticizing Belichick for playing Brady during a close win.
bushop

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:06 pm

It's always nice to see others agreeing with you....especially when your arguments get so much flak!!
There are two articles---links on Twitter---which at least in part support some of my criticism of this run.
They are by Mario Fraioli, his article on "The Inside Lane" titled "Just Let 'Em Race" on The Competitor site........and one by Ben Rosario from "Run Fan Shop" blog, under "Random Rambling".
While both are good reads, Rosario's comes up with a good argument for why it was best to include Erdmann in last night's run.

He acknowledges that Erdmann would need only a B if Hasay got her A.
Then he questions their having separate attempts.
He says that since Hasay was planning to go out in 15:55, that wouldn't be that far from what Erdmann would probably have done, trying for her B (in the same run!!).
He said she (Erdmann) would probably have run negative splits also....he suggested 16:05 and 15:59.
He said that having Erdmann go 10 seconds faster the first half wouldn't have made that much difference.

He then said something else which I'd never even thought of, but have to agree with.
He said (no offense to Erdmann, he said!!) that Hasay had a "huge fan base" (in Oregon), while Erdmann did not.
He thinks Erdmann won't draw the same kind of crowd Hasay did, thus possibly making it more difficult for her.......as he feels the crowd helped Hasay last night.

Also (and can't remember which one said this!!), it was mentioned that a "race" situation is always better than a time trial....because it makes the last 6 laps competitive....bringing out the extra adrenaline from the competitors!!

Lots of other good stuff in both articles!!
BTW, both were also critical of Salazar....but for different reasons than I was!
Last edited by aaronk on Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronk

Postby Alan Shank » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:09 pm

Samurai_Runner wrote:I wouldn't call missing the goal by 1+ seconds "cracking". Had the pace been on schedule instead of having to make up 9 seconds over the last 2 laps, she would've made it.

You are making an unwarranted assumption that, if the pace had been 9 seconds faster at 9200, she would have made it. It takes more energy to run faster, you know.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby Alan Shank » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:16 pm

So, when does Erdmann take her shot?

As for aaronk, I feel so much less annoyance now that I've put him on my "ignore" list. >:-)
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby barron45 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:36 pm

just another example of why track has become such a joke...not only all the druggies but using a staged "event" with male pacers to attain a standard for a female wc race. All standards should be attained in accredited races against your peers you will need to compete against. I am oh so close to cancelling my 40 some year subs. to T&FN. Glad I will be in the mountains of Peru during the wc's so I won't have to deal with this fiasco. P.S...USA will make its worst showing ever!!!
barron45

Postby bushop » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm

barron45 wrote:... All standards should be attained in accredited races against your peers you will need to compete against....

How would this happen?
Either you have little to no meets or you find massive funding to host multiple meets that can bring in all the 'peers'.
bushop

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:50 pm

aaronk wrote:It's always nice to see others agreeing with you....especially when your arguments get so much flak!!
There are two articles---links on Twitter---which at least in part support some of my criticism of this run.
They are by Mario Fraioli, his article on "The Inside Lane" titled "Just Let 'Em Race" on The Competitor site........and one by Ben Rosario from "Run Fan Shop" blog, under "Random Rambling".
While both are good reads, Rosario's comes up with a good argument for why it was best to include Erdmann in last night's run.

He says that since Hasay was planning to go out in 15:55, that wouldn't be that far from what Erdmann would probably have done, trying for her B (in the same run!!).
He said she (Erdmann) would probably have run negative splits also....he suggested 16:05 and 15:59.
He said that having Erdmann go 10 seconds faster the first half wouldn't have made that much difference.

He then said something else which I'd never even thought of, but have to agree with.
He said (no offense to Erdmann, he said!!) that Hasay had a "huge fan base" (in Oregon), while Erdmann did not.
He thinks Erdmann won't draw the same kind of crowd Hasay did, thus possibly making it more difficult for her.......as he feels the crowd helped Hasay last night.

Also (and can't remember which one said this!!), it was mentioned that a "race" situation is always better than a time trial....because it makes the last 6 laps competitive....bringing out the extra adrenaline from the competitors!!

BTW, both were also critical of Salazar....but for different reasons than I was!

Thank goodness both guys do not write like a petulant child.
Dutra5

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Dutra5 wrote:
aaronk wrote:It's always nice to see others agreeing with you....especially when your arguments get so much flak!!

Thank goodness both guys do not write like a petulant child.

:roll: :roll:
aaronk

Postby Bob Duncan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:28 pm

aaronk wrote:Also (and can't remember which one said this!!), it was mentioned that a "race" situation is always better than a time trial....because it makes the last 6 laps competitive....bringing out the extra adrenaline from the competitors!!

I was thinking the same thing, but then again, that's assuming that they were both together at the end and hadn't slowed the pace so neither would get the A.
Bob Duncan

Postby aaronk » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:18 pm

In another event at this "3 day" meet, Trevor Dunbar became the first Alaskan native to run a sub-4:00 mile!!
Don't have the exact time......Flotrack didn't give it........but it was about 3:58.8.
Rob Finnerty finished right behind Dunbar, also around 3:59-low.
Included in the post-race interview was Dunbar's father......who had held the Alaskan state record at 4:00.58!!
Sooooo....from father to son!!
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:25 pm

aaronk wrote:Well, it RESEMBLED a race.
But it was, in the end, just a glorified training session, with a set time goal in mind, which was NOT achieved!!
Yes, she got a PR, which places her 24th fastest American, A-T......but just barely.
And because she FAILED to acheive her goal, this places a much heavier BURDEN on the shoulders (and legs!!) of Tara Erdmann, who MUST run 31:45 on the 19th...or she stays home!!!

Could it have been done better?
Absolutely!!
First, Erdmann should have run WITH Hasay!!
Separating them was the first mistake.
The second mistake was having male pacers.......who obviously did NOT deliver!!
They FAILED to keep good pace for Hasay, a virtual rookie in 10K running.
Alberto Salazar has to be held to SOME of the blame!!
Just as at PTF, when he "forgot" about Mary Cain, he (and/or his assistants) FAILED to have Hasay pick up the pace at the time she needed to!!
If she hadn't dawdled that 4th mile.....as SHE HERSELF admitted doing!!!!!.......she probably would have gotten the mark!!
(Kara Goucher made the same mistake in the Stanford race, where she ran almost an identical time to what Hasay ran tonight!!)

Now the BURDEN is on Tara Erdmann.
I hope Erdmann gets under 31:45.
If she doesn't, then I believe Salazar and Company need to REASSESS their strategy they used tonight....and all this past week or more......first having them run together, then moving the date and the location...and finally separating them.....making achieving their GOALS that much more difficult!!!

Congratulations to Jordan Hasay for her PR....and for getting to go to Moscow.
I just hope Hasay hasn't made it impossible for Tara Erdmann to join her!!!

Herman Munster used to stomp his feet and cry "Darn! Darn.Darn. DARN!" as well.
Dutra5

Postby bobguild76 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:43 pm

aaronk wrote:In another event at this "3 day" meet, Trevor Dunbar became the first Alaskan native to run a sub-4:00 mile!!
Don't have the exact time......Flotrack didn't give it........but it was about 3:58.8.
Rob Finnerty finished right behind Dunbar, also around 3:59-low.
Included in the post-race interview was Dunbar's father......who had held the Alaskan state record at 4:00.58!!
Sooooo....from father to son!!

Awesome!!!
bobguild76

Postby luther » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

DrJay wrote:Yeah, but at least eldrick was logical and scientific (to a fault) in his approach. I kinda miss his numbers.

No need to miss him - just go on letsrun.com. His name is now ventolin.
luther

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:53 am

aaronk wrote:it was mentioned that a "race" situation is always better than a time trial....because it makes the last 6 laps competitive....bringing out the extra adrenaline from the competitors!!

Better for what purpose?
bushop

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:49 am

And he said it was HIS fault!
He sounded VERY humble and self-effacing in his comments.

A good coach will always shoulder the blame rather than allow the athlete to begin doubting themselves and also to prevent an IGNORANT public to level irrational criticism.
Brian

Postby br » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:21 pm

barron45 wrote:just another example of why track has become such a joke...not only all the druggies but using a staged "event" with male pacers to attain a standard for a female wc race. All standards should be attained in accredited races against your peers you will need to compete against. I am oh so close to cancelling my 40 some year subs. to T&FN. Glad I will be in the mountains of Peru during the wc's so I won't have to deal with this fiasco. P.S...USA will make its worst showing ever!!!

Whew. Thanks for the head's up about the Team USA.
br

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:47 pm

aaronk wrote:It's always nice to see others agreeing with you.... both were also critical of Salazar....but for different reasons than I was!

How do they agree with you?
bushop

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:49 pm

aaronk wrote:Absolutely CREEPY.......to recognize the face of a person who just made the FOLD-OUT of T&FN....whose photo has been in EVERY issue of T&FN since March issue......who has become the FOCUS of Tim Hutchings et al in their play-by-plays of her races!!
Excuuuuuuuuse me....for noticing the most famous FACE in American running circles these past 6 months......as the FloTrack camera showed her screaming her head off at Hasay.....for about 3 laps or so!!!

BTW, is there a "creep factor of +10" for noticing Salazar??
Because if there is, then I'm the CREEPIEST guy on this planet!!!
I noticed HIM.....before, during, and after Hasay's run!!!

(I also noticed Tara Erdmann! And if Galen Rupp, Mo Farah, or Treniere Moser had been there, I would have noticed THEM too!!!)

Yep, soooooooooo CREEPY, you can not imagine!!! :shock:

Noticing isn't creepy.

As has been pointed out, many on this board--including me--follow Mary Cain's running and have an interest in watching her present athletic feats and future progression.

But when you are apparently so enamored of a young woman that you simply cannot go X-amount of time/posts without mentioning her name--no matter how mundane and unnecessary the context--it is definitely creepy. And when you continually report on your Internet "findings", along with detailed analysis of her every word and mannerism, it may come across as going beyond simple athletic interest.

Others on this board have cut you slack on this but I've coached young women and I've seen this direction of behavior before many times. It always begins with rabid admiration of their athletic feats.

Sometimes that's the end of it. I hope it is so with you.

If not (generally speaking here), things can escalate in different ways, including extreme defensiveness regarding anything and anyone deemed to be a detriment to "your girl"--including, but not limited to, excessive criticism of the authority figures in her life, her parents, her teachers...

...her coach.

If you're not heading down that street, aaronk, you are at least looking at it on the map.
Brian

Postby Tuariki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:42 pm

very well said
Tuariki

Postby aaronk » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:31 pm

Thank you, everyone, for all of the great psychoanalyzation you've provided!!
It's saved me mucho $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on a shrink!

Of course, the fact that ALL of you are WRONG about me (in regards to Mary Cain)....is totally beside the point!!

But, you know, don't want to stop you from having fun!
Go for it!!
I'm having a blast reading them!!
aaronk

Postby Dutra5 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't see anyone smiling.
Dutra5

PreviousNext