Should Tyson Gay take himself out of the WC's 200?

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Should Tyson Gay take himself out of the WC's 200?

Postby DJG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Pego wrote:
DJG wrote:These officials sitting down comfortably with their shade hats and shades on certainly looked like they were enjoying the race. I thought I heard ZZZZZ's coming from one on the inside at about 80 meters.

At first I thought you are a purist for "fair play," anachronistic as it may have been, but honest. As this thread progresses, I sense more and more hostility toward the officials. Are you a disgruntled former official bent on a vendetta?

No Pego, I have no vendetta towards officials. I am on very good terms with all the officials I have worked with as a meet manager and as a coach in the Midwest and mid-Atlantic. I'm just having a little fun, which appears is not in keeping with the usual jingoism that goes on here.
I make few appearances on this forum, stir the pot alittle, and have a good laugh at most of the stuff I read here. All innocent fun and I've never harmed anyone here nor would I.
My idea of Gay taking himself out of the 200 was sparked by two things, 1) he's done it before so as not to risk injury. 2) as JumboElliott posted on another thread- it looked like he deliberately ran on the line. Why would he possibly do that? Perhaps he really doesn't want to push his luck now that he is healthy again, but his "camp" wants him to double and capture the old magic of '07 with 3 gold medals. The 200 was to test the hip for running the same curve he would likely run on the 4x1 relay, 3rd leg.

Tyson is probably as surprised as I am that he wasn't DQ'ed.

AND NO, I have no proof for anything except: he ran inside the line and the officials didn't see it.

Your first thought was correct, Pego.

PS, My last day is tomorrow, GH restricts me to 100 posts per calendar year and I want to save up for Mocba.
DJG

Postby DJG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:27 pm

Blues wrote:
Blues wrote:
Secondly, like DJG, I'm also shocked that this could happen at a meet of this magnitude and importance. There's absolutely no excuse for officials missing a runner stepping on the line unless it's at a minor meet like the one pictured below, where the officials completely missed the athlete in red running out of his lane. It's understandable though because it took place during an inconsequential 200m race at a small, insignificant meet in China. Oh wait...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ex ... X/610x.jpg

Just to clarify since my post was misinterpreted by some (my bad), I was being facetious with the above paragraph. For anyone who didn't recognize it, the photo of Churandy Martina running out of his lane is from the 2008 Beijing Olympic 200m final, which is the race I was referring to in the paragraph. The point that I wanted to make was that officials missing a lane violation can even occur in a meet of the absolute greatest "magnitude and importance"....

Who's that in Lane 9 getting ready to put his right foot inside the line?
It' s an epidemic out there. Only one cure....Cameras on the turns!!!!!
DJG

Postby DJG » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:28 pm

Blues wrote:
Blues wrote:
Secondly, like DJG, I'm also shocked that this could happen at a meet of this magnitude and importance. There's absolutely no excuse for officials missing a runner stepping on the line unless it's at a minor meet like the one pictured below, where the officials completely missed the athlete in red running out of his lane. It's understandable though because it took place during an inconsequential 200m race at a small, insignificant meet in China. Oh wait...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0ex ... X/610x.jpg

Just to clarify since my post was misinterpreted by some (my bad), I was being facetious with the above paragraph. For anyone who didn't recognize it, the photo of Churandy Martina running out of his lane is from the 2008 Beijing Olympic 200m final, which is the race I was referring to in the paragraph. The point that I wanted to make was that officials missing a lane violation can even occur in a meet of the absolute greatest "magnitude and importance"....

Who's that in Lane 9 getting ready to put his left foot inside the line?
It' s an epidemic out there. Only one cure....Cameras on the turns!!!!!
Last edited by DJG on Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DJG

Postby 26mi235 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:31 pm

Isn't that the other guy who got DQed when they looked a the first guy? [maybe I have got it wrong]
26mi235

Postby Blues » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 pm

26mi235 wrote:Isn't that the other guy who got DQed when they looked a the first guy? [maybe I have got it wrong]

Spearmon on the outside was DQ'd by the officials for a lane violation. When the US authorities studied the race video to see if Spearmon's DQ was warranted and to decide whether to protest, they noticed that Martina (who had won silver behind Bolt) had also been clearly out of his lane. The US protested, the protest was upheld (and Martina was DQ'd), and US athletes Crawford and Dix were elevated to silver and bronze, respectively.
Blues

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:12 pm

lonewolf wrote:Lonewolf does have an opinion.

Bad calls/no calls/missed calls are a part of all sports. Officials for national meets are qualified by experience and demonstrated inpartiality. They are not selected from the white pages or drawn out of a hat.

From the vantage of a perfect camera angle, we can pontificate about the rules but from the outside of the curve, trying to focus on one or two lanes as eight runners go by at 20 mph, it ain't than easy.You cannot practically review every race/jump/throw of a track meet to, theoretically, get every call perfect.

Every runner hugs the inner line but, in most cases, are not even aware when they inadvertently step on the line. I don't know if the umpire assigned to that lane and portion of the curve saw Gay step on the line but I sincerely doubt that the official cut Gay any slack because it was Gay. Gay did not interfere with the adjacent runner and any advantage gained was irrelevant to the outcome of the race.

Gay is under no technical or moral obligation to resign his position anymore than if a review of every discus throw revealed a missed call of a sole touching the top of the ring.

How dare you bring stone-cold logic onto this message board...!
:]
Brian

Postby lionelp1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Having read the nationalistic nonsense on another thread about Gays undoubted violations in the 200m which should have banned him and was surely noticed by somebody who let him get away with his inadvertent fouls in the 200m, one should notice that the ubernationalism here and on our sister site on AW Forum spoils both Forums .
Too many fans, but thank goodness not all, both on T&F News and AW Forum in the UK can only view performances by the athletes through the prism of their own inadequate chest-beating nationalism. Sadly some would say thats patriotism... how sad. :(

We can be sure that if, in Moscow, Bolt beats Gay in the 200m by a mile but steps on or over the line, which is accidentally missed by the officials, the screaming by certain "fans" here that Bolt should have been disqualified would be noticeable!
lionelp1

Postby DJG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:54 am

lionelp1 wrote:Having read the nationalistic nonsense on another thread about Gays undoubted violations in the 200m which should have banned him and was surely noticed by somebody who let him get away with his inadvertent fouls in the 200m, one should notice that the ubernationalism here and on our sister site on AW Forum spoils both Forums .
Too many fans, but thank goodness not all, both on T&F News and AW Forum in the UK can only view performances by the athletes through the prism of their own inadequate chest-beating nationalism. Sadly some would say thats patriotism... how sad. :(

We can be sure that if, in Moscow, Bolt beats Gay in the 200m by a mile but steps on or over the line, which is accidentally missed by the officials, the screaming by certain "fans" here that Bolt should have been disqualified would be noticeable!

If your scenario happens in Mocba, I can assure you that someone will file a protest against Bolt.
DJG

Postby beebee » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:31 am

DJG wrote:
lionelp1 wrote:Having read the nationalistic nonsense on another thread about Gays undoubted violations in the 200m which should have banned him and was surely noticed by somebody who let him get away with his inadvertent fouls in the 200m, one should notice that the ubernationalism here and on our sister site on AW Forum spoils both Forums .

If your scenario happens in Mocba, I can assure you that someone will file a protest against Bolt.

Absolutely bogus point...
WHOEVER wins the 200 in Moscow and steps on the line will have a protest filed against them.
beebee

Postby DJG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 am

beebee wrote:
DJG wrote:

Absolutely bogus point...
WHOEVER wins the 200 in Moscow and steps on the line will have a protest filed against them.

Absolutely correct, bee bee! I was responding to the specific scenario given.

Where better to have protests than in Mocba, host of the protest OG's in 1980. :mrgreen:
DJG

Postby Blues » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:00 am

DJG wrote:

And it's not even Bolt or the winner... In an international competition like Worlds or Olympics, if ANY athlete's potential violation negatively affects the placing of another athlete or team it will usually be protested, and it's almost a guarantee that it'll be protested if medals are at stake, assuming the representative(s) of an athlete/team that was negatively affected are responsible and competent...
Blues

Postby DJG » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Well you might say Tyson has now answered the question himself, and his answer is yes.
DJG

Previous