World Youth Championship


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby DCSIGMA » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:13 am

Dior hall....13.16 into a headwind 100mH
DCSIGMA
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby aaronk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:35 am

DCSIGMA wrote:Dior hall....13.16 into a headwind 100mH


If she were a senior, she'd have the class record!
But Candy Young's HSR of 12.95 was run in her junior year!!
Still, Hall is # 4 on the A-T list!!
With another year to go!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby LadyT » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:46 am

If I am not mistaken the hurdle height is lower than the high school height.
LadyT
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:28 am

DCSIGMA wrote:Dior hall....13.16 into a headwind 100mH

Mikiah Brisco is also into the final which is notable since she only found out a couple of weeks ago that she'd be running over 30" hurdles, and ran them for the first time at the trials.
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:31 am

Is there a live video link for this meet?
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby icerunner » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:38 am

jazzcyclist wrote:Is there a live video link for this meet?


http://linkupvideos.com/the-8th-iaaf-wo ... 0b5e9.html
icerunner
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:02 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby eman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:53 am

The world youth qualifying meet was held on June 25th and 26th. If you made the team you were required to be in Collinsville, IL no later than June 30th. From there you stayed till they made the trip to Donetsk on July 4th with a return back in the states by July 16th.

So the athletes who made the team will be gone from home from June 24th till July 16th.

IMHO there has been some unfair criticism of Mary Cain, the fact that she had to run two rounds against the best the US has to offer in the 1500 and then turn around 2 or 3 days later and run 1 of 3 races 2 of which were scheduled for a prelim. Now here is where I feel the criticism is unfounded, Mary Cain was entered into all 3 distance races for world youth qualifying and I feel had she not made the world team was more than prepared to attempt to qualify for the world youth team.
eman
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby Rothosen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:00 am

Eman you missed my point on the 3000m. She would have went if she walked the 3000! As for a 17 year old wanting to spend an extra two weeks with mom and dad do you know any 17 year olds? Remember being 17? They look for excuses to not be home. As for assured victory? That's laughably parochial. All three medalists ran faster than Cain hss run. Your betting they couldn't run even faster? On what basis.

Somehow I doubt running the DL in London is better then faceing competitors you will see next year in Eugene. AND PLEASE WAKE UP! This was not an either or proposition. She would be well rested in a month for the Worlds. Look at the calendar.
Rothosen
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby aaronk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:10 am

Rothosen wrote:Eman you missed my point on the 3000m. She would have went if she walked the 3000! As for a 17 year old wanting to spend an extra two weeks with mom and dad do you know any 17 year olds? Remember being 17? They look for excuses to not be home. As for assured victory? That's laughably parochial. All three medalists ran faster than Cain hss run. Your betting they couldn't run even faster? On what basis.

Somehow I doubt running the DL in London is better then faceing competitors you will see next year in Eugene. AND PLEASE WAKE UP! This was not an either or proposition. She would be well rested in a month for the Worlds. Look at the calendar.


Interesting that I get attacked for PRAISING Mary Cain......and here's some folks who are, in essence, DISSING Mary Cain......and nary one word is being said in critique!! :?

BTW, as to Cain winning or losing the 3K, if she had run......her indoor 3K's were NOT indicative of her true, and current potential over that distance.
Her 9:02.10 in Seattle was her first track race since the WJ's....and she WON it, beating, among others, her current training partner, Treniere Moser!!
Her 9:04.51, run enroute to her two mile time of 9:38.68, was a CONTROLLED race....until maybe the last 200.
Salazar had told her to FORGET the top women....i.e. Tirunesh Dibaba....and run with the others.
So, forgetting Dibaba, she did as she was instructed, and finished 2nd to only Sheila Reid....and then by less than 1 second.
And Reid ain't no slouch!!
My guess is, Cain is capable of a sub-8:40 for 3K.
At worst, maybe 8:45!!
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby jamal00005 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:54 am

1 475 Yanique THOMPSON JAM 12 Mar 96 4 12.94 WYB 0.150
2 774 Dior HALL USA 02 Jan 96 3 13.01 PB 0.143
3 765 Mikiah BRISCO USA 14 Jul 96 8 13.29 PB 0.198
4 468 Rushelle BURTON JAM 04 Dec 97 5 13.32 PB 0.189
5 700 Adriana JANIC SWE 19 Jun 96 6 13.33 PB 0.125
6 359 Chantal BUTZEK GER 25 Feb 97 2 13.40 PB 0.182
7 402 Luca KOZÁK HUN 01 Jun 96 7 13.62 0.174
8 656 Iuliia SOKOLOVA RUS 20 Apr 96 1 13.72 0.146

Very close race between those 2 ....Hurdling is just getting better :D
jamal00005
 
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:46 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby Rothosen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:31 am

Having followed Mary Cain since the indoor championship at Cornell in 2009 I am hardly "dissing" her. I believe her coach is deciding where and when she runs. When I said she ducked the YC I wrongly assumed you would realize I meant Salazar had her duck the YCs. Sorry for the confusion.

However there is a reality to address. Having one time run 800m a second faster then Hinriksdottir in no way assures her of victory. Having run 9:02 on a 300m track points she can go faster. How much? And how one assumes the current season record holders in the 3000m (three of them) cannot also run faster is parochial enthusiasm at best. She has not beat the Kenyans or Ethiopians yet, or ever. Kipyegon seems capable of dropping her time when required. You think this current group is any less capable? On what assumption.

Mary Cain is the best American youth in forty years. Is she the best youth in the World? We won't know. She wouldn't for whatever reason race against them.

As for the other youths mentioned. They are all too old for the WY except Cranny who for reasons of her own does not run after school ends.
Rothosen
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby sprintdoc » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:43 am

The hurdle heights in all events are the exact same as US HS hurdles.
sprintdoc
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby batonless relay » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:47 am

Rothosen wrote:Having followed Mary Cain since the indoor championship at Cornell in 2009 I am hardly "dissing" her. I believe her coach is deciding where and when she runs. When I said she ducked the YC I wrongly assumed you would realize I meant Salazar had her duck the YCs. Sorry for the confusion.

However there is a reality to address. Having one time run 800m a second faster then Hinriksdottir in no way assures her of victory. Having run 9:02 on a 300m track points she can go faster. How much? And how one assumes the current season record holders in the 3000m (three of them) cannot also run faster is parochial enthusiasm at best. She has not beat the Kenyans or Ethiopians yet, or ever. Kipyegon seems capable of dropping her time when required. You think this current group is any less capable? On what assumption.

Mary Cain is the best American youth in forty years. Is she the best youth in the World? We won't know. She wouldn't for whatever reason race against them.

As for the other youths mentioned. They are all too old for the WY except Cranny who for reasons of her own does not run after school ends.

You are certainly dissing Mary Cain if you can't find another words aside from "duck" to describer her CHOICE to not participate at a non-consequential meet like World Youth. I suppose that Usain Bolt and Allyson Felix were ducking World Juniors when they opted to compete at the Olympics in 2004.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby Rothosen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 am

Ah yes...Usain Bolt...who had already won a World Championship...the inconsequential World Youth Championship you were referring to.
Rothosen
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby booond » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 am

batonless relay wrote:
Rothosen wrote:Having followed Mary Cain since the indoor championship at Cornell in 2009 I am hardly "dissing" her. I believe her coach is deciding where and when she runs. When I said she ducked the YC I wrongly assumed you would realize I meant Salazar had her duck the YCs. Sorry for the confusion.

However there is a reality to address. Having one time run 800m a second faster then Hinriksdottir in no way assures her of victory. Having run 9:02 on a 300m track points she can go faster. How much? And how one assumes the current season record holders in the 3000m (three of them) cannot also run faster is parochial enthusiasm at best. She has not beat the Kenyans or Ethiopians yet, or ever. Kipyegon seems capable of dropping her time when required. You think this current group is any less capable? On what assumption.

Mary Cain is the best American youth in forty years. Is she the best youth in the World? We won't know. She wouldn't for whatever reason race against them.

As for the other youths mentioned. They are all too old for the WY except Cranny who for reasons of her own does not run after school ends.

You are certainly dissing Mary Cain if you can't find another words aside from "duck" to describer her CHOICE to not participate at a non-consequential meet like World Youth. I suppose that Usain Bolt and Allyson Felix were ducking World Juniors when they opted to compete at the Olympics in 2004.


The word "duck" is the problem. Your usage suggests she's avoiding other runners because she's afraid to run against them.
booond
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:25 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby jazzcyclist » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:04 am

sprintdoc wrote:The hurdle heights in all events are the exact same as US HS hurdles.

I don't think so. High school girls 100 hurdles are 33" and youth girls are 30".

http://www.usatf.org/groups/officials/f ... eb2011.pdf
jazzcyclist
 
Posts: 10860
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby Rothosen » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 am

Mia Culpa...should not have used ducked.

She avoided the WYC because the non-DL london race was more consequential
Rothosen
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: Upstate NY

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby batonless relay » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:14 am

Rothosen wrote:Mia Culpa...should not have used ducked.

She avoided the WYC because the non-DL london race was more consequential

That works for me.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby starboyunlimited » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 am

Video Races:

Girls 100m Final Ky Westbrook (USA) 11.33 (-0.8m/s) - http://youtu.be/wqSkomcDa-s

Girls 100mh Final Yanique Thompson (JAM) 12.94 (0.0m/s)
World Youth Best - http://youtu.be/fgPCeVjGhJs

Boys 100m Final Close finish 1-3 : Youxue Mo (CHN) 10.35 Ojie Edoburun (GBR) 10.35 (-0.4m/s)
http://youtu.be/ZYPHxVrcn4M
starboyunlimited
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:03 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby tm71 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:28 am

Rothosen wrote:
icerunner wrote:It is really too bad Mary Cain is not there and unfortunate for her. Was she too good to be there or what? I suspect she is going to regret her decision not to be there after Moscow. I sincerely hope she is going to do well in Moscow but there is a lot of pressure on her at this young age. Why not allowing her to be the fine young athlete she really is?


Agree 100%. There was absolutely no reason for her to duck the World Championship for youths. There is no guarantee she could have won the 3000/800 and may even have had her hands full in the 1500. She would have had to pick one, but the 3000 she wouldn't even have needed to have a race at the trials. She wsd the only one qualified. So the US ended up without a single representative. Embarrasing!


i dont see the need for all these competitions either, especially the youth olympics and the world university games. fifa has done the same thing with multiple age restricted tournaments for both men's and women's soccer. some of these tournaments are nothing but a platform for big club tream scouts to raid their teams of young talent. looking at past us medalists from the previous world youth championships, i would venture to say that half of those have NEVER had a pro or even college career to speak of. succeeding at this level does not guarantee success in the future and conversely not competing does not forecast failure either.
i dont see any reason to disparage cain for skipping this meet when she is good enough to compete with the best in her event in moscow. to use the soccer analogy, brazilian legend pele should have never competed in the 1958 at age 17 (a tournament him and his team won) because he could have theoretically competed at an age restricted tournament.
tm71
 
Posts: 2302
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:54 am

Rothosen wrote:As for a 17 year old wanting to spend an extra two weeks with mom and dad do you know any 17 year olds? Remember being 17? They look for excuses to not be home. As for assured victory?


I have a 17-year old, and Eman has this down (much) better than you. It is one thing to want to be out of the house when you do not have that much going on. But, when you are as busy with a full time job of school and another one of track, I would bet a 17-year old girl would want to spend more time at home, not less. [Besides, she is a self-professed nerd, not a prom queen]
26mi235
 
Posts: 16335
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby booond » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:55 pm

26mi235 wrote:
Rothosen wrote:As for a 17 year old wanting to spend an extra two weeks with mom and dad do you know any 17 year olds? Remember being 17? They look for excuses to not be home. As for assured victory?


I have a 17-year old, and Eman has this down (much) better than you. It is one thing to want to be out of the house when you do not have that much going on. But, when you are as busy with a full time job of school and another one of track, I would bet a 17-year old girl would want to spend more time at home, not less. [Besides, she is a self-professed nerd, not a prom queen]


Plus, there is a difference from wanting to hang with your friends at the mall and be away from home for three weeks.
booond
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:25 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby eman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:00 pm

Rothosen wrote:Eman you missed my point on the 3000m. She would have went if she walked the 3000! As for a 17 year old wanting to spend an extra two weeks with mom and dad do you know any 17 year olds? Remember being 17? They look for excuses to not be home. As for assured victory? That's laughably parochial. All three medalists ran faster than Cain hss run. Your betting they couldn't run even faster? On what basis.

Somehow I doubt running the DL in London is better then faceing competitors you will see next year in Eugene. AND PLEASE WAKE UP! This was not an either or proposition. She would be well rested in a month for the Worlds. Look at the calendar.


Rothosen, for the "do you know any 17 year olds?" part of your post I forgive you. You don't know who I am so there is no way you could have known that I have been a club and high school track coach for 25 years now, thus knowing my fair share of 17 year old's.

And I am fully aware that the Moscow trip is a full month after the Donetsk trip thus giving young Mary Cain a month to recover and hopefully be ready for the World Championships.

My only question to you is, who else is doing the World Youth/World Championships double?
eman
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby norunner » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:06 pm

eman wrote:My only question to you is, who else is doing the World Youth/World Championships double?
That's not a fair question though, because how many other youth athletes are good enough to even qualify for Moscow? I can think of one, Hinriksdottir, and she would not be a good example because she does a different double, U18WC and U20EC within a week and she and her coach decided she should not go to Moscow.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby booond » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Does Mary Cain stand to gain more or lose more by competing?
booond
 
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:25 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby Master Po » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:00 pm

I recognize that we have two meets going on...the hypothetical-non-Mary Cain edition of the WYC, and the actual WYC. Both are interesting to me, but lacking anything to contribute to the former, and given that this thread is titled "WYC," I thought I might post some results from Day 2 of the actual WYC, even though these are all on the IAAF web site for us to peruse. I realize this will probably cause this thread to sink like a stone, but who knows, might be something of interest here. Here are a few finals I found interesting:

M 100 (-0.4)
Youxue Mo (CHN) 10.35 PB/WYL
Ojie Edoburun (GBR) 10.35 PB
Reynier Mena (CUB) 10.37 PB
(Neither of the USA entrants made the final.)

W 100 (-0.8)
Ky Westbrook (USA) 11.33 PB
Ariana Washington (USA) 11.40
Angela Tenorio (ECU) 11.41
5.Irene Ekelund (SWE) 11.62

W 100h (0.0)
Yanique Thompson (JAM) 12.94 WYB
Dior Hall (USA) 13.01 PB
Mikiah Brisco (USA) 13.29 PB
4-6 also PB.

Octathlon, wSP, mLJ, wJT also done or near-done -- I'll leave those to others. :)
Master Po
 
Posts: 2641
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: north coast USA

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby eman » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:32 pm

norunner wrote:
eman wrote:My only question to you is, who else is doing the World Youth/World Championships double?
That's not a fair question though, because how many other youth athletes are good enough to even qualify for Moscow?

My point exactly!!
eman
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby smc » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Master Po wrote:M 100 (-0.4)
Youxue Mo (CHN) 10.35 PB/WYL
Ojie Edoburun (GBR) 10.35 PB
Reynier Mena (CUB) 10.37 PB
(Neither of the USA entrants made the final.)


12.35 for Kenzo in the semi.
smc
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby aaronk » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Master Po wrote:I recognize that we have two meets going on...the hypothetical-non-Mary Cain edition of the WYC, and the actual WYC. Both are interesting to me, but lacking anything to contribute to the former, and given that this thread is titled "WYC," I thought I might post some results from Day 2 of the actual WYC, even though these are all on the IAAF web site for us to peruse. I realize this will probably cause this thread to sink like a stone, but who knows, might be something of interest here. Here are a few finals I found interesting:

M 100 (-0.4)
Youxue Mo (CHN) 10.35 PB/WYL
Ojie Edoburun (GBR) 10.35 PB
Reynier Mena (CUB) 10.37 PB
(Neither of the USA entrants made the final.)

W 100 (-0.8)
Ky Westbrook (USA) 11.33 PB
Ariana Washington (USA) 11.40
Angela Tenorio (ECU) 11.41
5.Irene Ekelund (SWE) 11.62

W 100h (0.0)
Yanique Thompson (JAM) 12.94 WYB
Dior Hall (USA) 13.01 PB
Mikiah Brisco (USA) 13.29 PB
4-6 also PB.

Octathlon, wSP, mLJ, wJT also done or near-done -- I'll leave those to others. :)


Westbrook, Washington, and Hall are all returning as seniors next year!!
Is Mikiah Brisco the daughter of Valerie Brisco??

Also, watch for our Jamaican friends to start a war of words soon about a rivalry between Thompson and Hall!! :wink:
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby LopenUupunut » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Not-quite-16-year-old Artur Hämäläinen, son of Eduard, placed 5th in the octathlon. I hope he doesn't stop developing like his sister did :?
LopenUupunut
 
Posts: 2514
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:20 pm
Location: Sleeping in Finland

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby norunner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:16 am

eman wrote:
norunner wrote:
eman wrote:My only question to you is, who else is doing the World Youth/World Championships double?
That's not a fair question though, because how many other youth athletes are good enough to even qualify for Moscow?

My point exactly!!
I don't understand what your point is. Anyone good enough to qualify for Moscow is obviously good enough to start in Donezk. So your point is she is too good for the U18s ?
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby aaronk » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:09 am

Morgan Lake of Great Britain, age 16, has cleared 1.90 (6-2 and 3/4) in the Hept HJ, after running a PR of 14.12 in the 100H, for a 2-event total of 2028 points!!
(And she even tried 1.93, but missed!!)
aaronk
 
Posts: 3362
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 9:39 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby nianchengyu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:30 am

aaronk wrote:Morgan Lake of Great Britain, age 16, has cleared 1.90 (6-2 and 3/4) in the Hept HJ, after running a PR of 14.12 in the 100H, for a 2-event total of 2028 points!!
(And she even tried 1.93, but missed!!)

It is incredible for her and also for these young heptathletes,some of them indeed have terrific individual abilities,schippers in sprint,thompson in LJ,Gambetta in SP and Morgan Lake who can jump 1.90m HJ in 16y as a heptathlete.Vlasic jumped 1.85m once this season, :D
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby nianchengyu » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:38 am

nianchengyu wrote:
aaronk wrote:Morgan Lake of Great Britain, age 16, has cleared 1.90 (6-2 and 3/4) in the Hept HJ, after running a PR of 14.12 in the 100H, for a 2-event total of 2028 points!!
(And she even tried 1.93, but missed!!)

It is incredible for her and also for these young heptathletes,some of them indeed have terrific individual abilities,schippers in sprint,thompson in LJ,Gambetta/tossed 16.30m to qualify for EU23 final in SP and Morgan Lake who can jump 1.90m HJ in 16y as a heptathlete.BTW,Vlasic jumped 1.85m once this season.
nianchengyu
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby batonless relay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:45 am

aaronk wrote:Morgan Lake of Great Britain, age 16, has cleared 1.90 (6-2 and 3/4) in the Hept HJ, after running a PR of 14.12 in the 100H, for a 2-event total of 2028 points!!
(And she even tried 1.93, but missed!!)

My question: why the hell is she doing the hep? Why the hep introduction in the youth? :(
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby gm » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:18 am

aaronk wrote:Is Mikiah Brisco the daughter of Valerie Brisco??


Uh, no. She's the sister of Dominique, a Univ. of Houston runner/jumper from Louisiana.
gm
 
Posts: 4560
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: "What's the pre-cooked weight on that lab?"

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby tandfman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 am

batonless relay wrote:
aaronk wrote:Morgan Lake of Great Britain, age 16, has cleared 1.90 (6-2 and 3/4) in the Hept HJ, after running a PR of 14.12 in the 100H, for a 2-event total of 2028 points!!
(And she even tried 1.93, but missed!!)

My question: why the hell is she doing the hep? Why the hep introduction in the youth? :(

Why not?
tandfman
 
Posts: 15043
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby batonless relay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:35 am

tandfman wrote:
batonless relay wrote:
aaronk wrote:Morgan Lake of Great Britain, age 16, has cleared 1.90 (6-2 and 3/4) in the Hept HJ, after running a PR of 14.12 in the 100H, for a 2-event total of 2028 points!!
(And she even tried 1.93, but missed!!)

My question: why the hell is she doing the hep? Why the hep introduction in the youth? :(

Why not?

"tandfman", that's one of the problems that I have with European coaches; they start moving athletes to the multis too quick, imo (witness: Schippers, D.). 14.12 would possibly get Lake a scholarship to a D1 school; 1.90 definitely would! I would rather see her double than do a hep, but in Europe their is this rabid fascination with the hep.

Also, I don't think multi events should be a part of the Youth program, but that's a separate issue.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby norunner » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:48 am

batonless relay wrote:"tandfman", that's one of the problems that I have with European coaches; they start moving athletes to the multis too quick, imo (witness: Schippers, D.). 14.12 would possibly get Lake a scholarship to a D1 school; 1.90 definitely would! I would rather see her double than do a hep, but in Europe their is this rabid fascination with the hep.

Also, I don't think multi events should be a part of the Youth program, but that's a separate issue.
Have you considered that she may actually prefer the hep? I wouldn't want a coach for my kids who tells them what to do instead of letting them do what they enjoy.
norunner
 
Posts: 1288
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby batonless relay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:11 am

norunner wrote:
batonless relay wrote:"tandfman", that's one of the problems that I have with European coaches; they start moving athletes to the multis too quick, imo (witness: Schippers, D.). 14.12 would possibly get Lake a scholarship to a D1 school; 1.90 definitely would! I would rather see her double than do a hep, but in Europe their is this rabid fascination with the hep.

Also, I don't think multi events should be a part of the Youth program, but that's a separate issue.
Have you considered that she may actually prefer the hep? I wouldn't want a coach for my kids who tells them what to do instead of letting them do what they enjoy.

If your past comments are prologue then you wouldn't want a sprint coach for your kids (or any other Europeans kids) because you don't believe Europeans can sprint. Kids prefer what they're exposed to and show some capability in. Someone introduced the Hep as an option. They're only "enjoying" it because it's been introduced. Conversely, because of the "points" from school competitions, kids in the US don't do multi-evnts because they only count for ONE win as opposed to multiple wins. Some of those kids, if exposed, would do well at the multis.
batonless relay
 
Posts: 700
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:40 am

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 9 guests