World Youth Championship

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: World Youth Championship

Postby jamal00005 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:57 am

tgs3 wrote:
berkeley wrote:
betterthanb4 wrote:The Boys 800m Final was exciting.

Exciting ? If the halfway split of the winner is correct as reported on the IAAF page - 46.63 - I would say it must have been one of the most entertaining races ever :) Surely that must be a mistake ?

I remember it being 48 something, so maybe it was 48.63. Still a pretty crazy way to win your race. I imagine he can go 2-3 seconds faster by by not being so Montanoesque.

He still had enough gusto to hold on in the last 100m when the GB athlete and the russian came at the end. But I suspect as he get older his tatics will change
jamal00005

Postby Rothosen » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:21 am

aaronk wrote:Alexa Efraimson finished only 3rd, but she ran VERY close to her PR, running 4:16.07.
AND.....she finished just ahead of Bobby Clay, who had been ballyhooed on this forum by a few people earlier this year!!
The other American, Anna Maxwell, got a PR too...running 4:23.75.
Both are returning to HS in the fall!!

Heard the Brit announcer discussing Bobby Clay's race. Not exactly a tactical textbook when you already are disadvantaged by size. On that note Alexa looked as if she ran a very good race. Would have been interesting to see the Ethiopians pressed a little. They seem to have only run as hard as they needed to to win the race.
Rothosen

Postby bushop » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:35 pm

aaronk wrote:I'm sorry she had such a bad 2nd day, but not finishing (unless she was physically injured) was wrong.

... and you make a moral judgement about her action based on what information?
bushop

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:56 pm

bushop wrote:
aaronk wrote:I'm sorry she had such a bad 2nd day, but not finishing (unless she was physically injured) was wrong.

As I mentioned a few minutes ago, in the Portland Roughriders thread, aaronk is such a hypocrite. You can guarantee if it had been an incident involving one of "his favoured girls" he would be shouting from the rooftops, his defence of "his girl" quitting.

I feel very sorry for Morgan. Clearly she was devastated by her LJ disaster. From her body language and the look on her face during the javelin it was no surprise she was DNS in the 800m.

At the end of day 1, the only athlete that could have beaten Morgan, was Morgan. And, sadly, so it transpired. And what probably makes it even more difficult to stomach is that she also leaves Donetsk as easily the best high jumper having jumped 2 cm higher than the gold medal winner of the individual HJ.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:07 pm

bushop wrote:

Common sense !!

What ever the morality of it, it does no good to anyone to drop out because things aren't going your way

I have no idea of her reasons so can't comment but if she wasn't injured it was the wrong decision in my opinion. If she's fallen over in the hurdles then fair enough but to not do the last event, not so much.
Last edited by mump boy on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mump boy

Postby bushop » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:11 pm

mump boy wrote:
bushop wrote:
Common sense !!

... and what sense do you have of her situation? Not sure there is anything common to apply to an individual.
bushop

Postby aaronk » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:20 pm

Tuariki wrote:
bushop wrote:

As I mentioned a few minutes ago, in the Portland Roughriders thread, aaronk is such a hypocrite. You can guarantee if it had been an incident involving one of "his favoured girls" he would be shouting from the rooftops, his defence of "his girl" quitting.

I feel very sorry for Morgan. Clearly she was devastated by her LJ disaster. From her body language and the look on her face during the javelin it was no surprise she was DNS in the 800m.

At the end of day 1, the only athlete that could have beaten Morgan, was Morgan. And, sadly, so it transpired. And what probably makes it even more difficult to stomach is that she also leaves Donetsk as easily the best high jumper having jumped 2 cm higher than the gold medal winner of the individual HJ.

Re "his girl".........
The only thing that comes to mind when I see that phrase is that FANTASTIC 60's song by the Temptations...."My Girl"!!
Or that other great song by Mary Wells......"My Guy"!!

Other than that, I WISH I had a girl now I could call "mine"!! :(
aaronk

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:38 pm

mump boy wrote:
bushop wrote:

Common sense !!

What ever the morality of it, it does no good to anyone to drop out because things aren't going your way

I have no idea of her reasons so can't comment but if she wasn't injured it was the wrong decision in my opinion. If she's fallen over in the hurdles then fair enough but to not do the last event, not so much.

Like you,I have no idea as to the reasons why she pulled out. However, injuries can be both physical and mental. If I was her coach and believed she was likely to run a terrible 800m, for her that would be over 2:40, then I would not be against her wish to not run the 800m, if that was what she wanted. And especially if I felt her mental state could be further damaged by doing so.

IMO, there would be nothing to be gained for her if she was out there running in last place for the 800m; and depending on her mental state, everything to lose. There was every chance she would have been thinking that "the whole world is watching me and laughing at me". And while the whole world would not have been laughing at her, it is likely she would still be thinking that. And therefore, because of the potential emotional damage to someone so young, this is why I would not have pressed her to run, if I was her coach,and she didn't want to.
Tuariki

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:27 pm

There might be a physical reason that she had such a poor long jump, so she might have been nursing an injury. To go off without any information and just assuming something that you simply do not know seems a silly way to comment. Not a hint of conditional statement etc.
26mi235

Postby mump boy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Tuariki wrote:
mump boy wrote:
bushop wrote:

Common sense !!

Like you,I have no idea as to the reasons why she pulled out. However, injuries can be both physical and mental. If I was her coach and believed she was likely to run a terrible 800m, for her that would be over 2:40, then I would not be against her wish to not run the 800m, if that was what she wanted. And especially if I felt her mental state could be further damaged by doing so.

IMO, there would be nothing to be gained for her if she was out there running in last place for the 800m; and depending on her mental state, everything to lose. There was every chance she would have been thinking that "the whole world is watching me and laughing at me". And while the whole world would not have been laughing at her, it is likely she would still be thinking that. And therefore, because of the potential emotional damage to someone so young, this is why I would not have pressed her to run, if I was her coach,and she didn't want to.

Or she could learn to suck it up, apply herself, run out of her skin, set a pb and end on a high
mump boy

Postby Master Po » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Rothosen wrote:Alexa Ephraimson gives it her best but only good enough for third. So the streak continues. No American has ever won the 1500 at this competition. Jordan Hasay's second place finish is stil the highest.

Seems like a very good performance and outcome. I guess I never expect USA athletes to win this event in any case (Mary Cain excepted -- I'm reasonably confident she would have handled this field, not that I am arguing she should have been in the WYC), so I am very happy w her performance. I certainly did not expect Ephraimson to win. She came in with the third best SB/PB. Assuming the Ethiopian runners were going to run near to their SBs, the best Ephraimson would do was third. Congratulations to her! :)

Another way to look at this -- rather than disappointment at Ephraimson's continuation of USA's failures to win this event at WYC -- is this: Ethiopia sent its best two Youth runners in this event (#2 & 3 in the world this year). USA -- for perfectly good reasons, imo -- sent its #3, Ephraimson, who is #6 in the world. Also, USA's Anna Maxwell, much further down the lists than any of these, did make the final and ran a PB. So, USA's Youth performers & performances in this event in 2013 -- Cain, Cranny, & these two at WYC -- are the best they have been in a very long time, perhaps best ever. I'm happy with how these young athletes are doing (and have no illusions about any of them being world beaters at the senior level -- I realize the odds any outstanding youth athlete faces).

Also, congratulations to Bobby Clay -- out of the medals, but nearly 2 second PB & 4th behind 3 athletes who are clearly better than her at this point in all of their careers. I think this is also the best outcome she could reasonably have expected today.
Last edited by Master Po on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Master Po

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:19 pm

Tuariki wrote:IMO, there would be nothing to be gained for her if she was out there running in last place for the 800m; and depending on her mental state, everything to lose. There was every chance she would have been thinking that "the whole world is watching me and laughing at me". And while the whole world would not have been laughing at her, it is likely she would still be thinking that. And therefore, because of the potential emotional damage to someone so young, this is why I would not have pressed her to run, if I was her coach,and she didn't want to.

I couldn't disagree more. In sports, the inability to handle defeat with courage and dignity is a major character defect IMO. Every elite athlete in any sport, will at some time during their careers face bitter, and sometimes catastrophic, defeat. Most of the athletes in this meet have probably rarely tasted defeat in their young careers. The ability to fight on when you're assured of victory reveals nothing about a person's character, and the ability to persevere when you think you have a chance of winning doesn't reveal much more. However, giving a 100% effort when you're assured of defeat is the ultimate character builder in sports. Assuming she was uninjured, if I were her coach, I would have said, "You're having a bad day. You're going to have more bad days if you stay in this sport long enough. What you need to do is give the 800 all you've got and show the world that you're not a quitter."
jazzcyclist

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:24 pm

mump boy wrote:Or she could learn to suck it up, apply herself, run out of her skin, set a pb and end on a high

And maybe a smaller injury turns in to a large one. May be she does poorly in the 800 and sets herself up for doing poorly in that 800. I suspect that nothing in her athletic life is likely to be very positively affected by the 'recommended' course of action but that there are a lot of downsides.
26mi235

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:56 pm

26mi235 wrote:And maybe a smaller injury turns in to a large one. May be she does poorly in the 800 and sets herself up for doing poorly in that 800. I suspect that nothing in her athletic life is likely to be very positively affected by the 'recommended' course of action but that there are a lot of downsides.

I think character could have been positively affected by running and finishing the 800. By the way 26mi, I would be interested to see you weigh in on the Tour de France thread.
jazzcyclist

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:16 pm

26mi235 wrote:There might be a physical reason that she had such a poor long jump, so she might have been nursing an injury. To go off without any information and just assuming something that you simply do not know seems a silly way to comment. Not a hint of conditional statement etc.

And if she did get an injury in the LJ, then that could explain her 4 step jog approach in the javelin. And of course her withdrawing from the 800m. For example, one can throw the javelin with a dicey hamstring but would risk serious injury by running an 800m.
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:27 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Tuariki wrote:IMO, there would be nothing to be gained for her if she was out there running in last place for the 800m; and depending on her mental state, everything to lose. There was every chance she would have been thinking that "the whole world is watching me and laughing at me". And while the whole world would not have been laughing at her, it is likely she would still be thinking that. And therefore, because of the potential emotional damage to someone so young, this is why I would not have pressed her to run, if I was her coach,and she didn't want to.

I couldn't disagree more. In sports, the inability to handle defeat with courage and dignity is a major character defect IMO. Every elite athlete in any sport, will at some time during their careers face bitter, and sometimes catastrophic, defeat. Most of the athletes in this meet have probably rarely tasted defeat in their young careers. The ability to fight on when you're assured of victory reveals nothing about a person's character, and the ability to persevere when you think you have a chance of winning doesn't reveal much more. However, giving a 100% effort when you're assured of defeat is the ultimate character builder in sports. Assuming she was uninjured, if I were her coach, I would have said, "You're having a bad day. You're going to have more bad days if you stay in this sport long enough. What you need to do is give the 800 all you've got and show the world that you're not a quitter."

We are all different, And we all handle situations differently. Some athletes flourish in the face of adversity. Some don't. For example, in abusive coaching situations such as Indiana and Bobby Knight, some players thrived. Others didn't, but succeeded in a different environment.

If Morgan Lake was uninjured, perhaps the experience of going ahead and running the 800m would have helped her in the future in terms of mental strength. I acknowledge that is the general consensus and probably the correct course for most. But not all. The crushing weight of her very public failure being put on an even more of a public display in the 800m could be the final element of her what she saw as public humiliation. Forcing her to run in those circumstances could have the effect of driving her from the sport.
Tuariki

Postby jazzcyclist » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:49 pm

Tuariki wrote:The crushing weight of her very public failure being put on an even more of a public display in the 800m could be the final element of her what she saw as public humiliation. Forcing her to run in those circumstances could have the effect of driving her from the sport.

If that's the case, perhaps she's not cut out to be an elite athlete, regardless of her physical gifts. Not everyone has the heart of a champion.
jazzcyclist

Postby ExCoastRanger » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:24 pm

aaronk wrote:...or maybe she needs to give up the Hept!!

That's a hell of a mean thing to say about a 16-17-year-old in her first international multi.

jazzcyclist wrote:If that's the case, perhaps she's not cut out to be an elite athlete, regardless of her physical gifts. Not everyone has the heart of a champion.

See above. People do learn and grow from their experiences, you know.

mump boy wrote:Or she could learn to suck it up, apply herself, run out of her skin, set a pb and end on a high

Maybe that's what she learned here, the hard way.

Geez people, give her a break.
ExCoastRanger

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:
Tuariki wrote:The crushing weight of her very public failure being put on an even more of a public display in the 800m could be the final element of her what she saw as public humiliation. Forcing her to run in those circumstances could have the effect of driving her from the sport.

If that's the case, perhaps she's not cut out to be an elite athlete, regardless of her physical gifts. Not everyone has the heart of a champion.

Give me a fat break; she is a kid, not some 25-year old professional. I really can't believe that you are writing this stuff. Whether she is cut out to be a professional athlete or not is something to be determined in 5-10 years. Doing a Hept at that age is quite a strain on the system, and she has had to do several, as well as probably have a very full and long track season.
26mi235

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:19 pm

26mi235 wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:

Give me a fat break; she is a kid, not some 25-year old professional. I really can't believe that you are writing this stuff. Whether she is cut out to be a professional athlete or not is something to be determined in 5-10 years. Doing a Hept at that age is quite a strain on the system, and she has had to do several, as well as probably have a very full and long track season.

Yo Wisconsin. We are on the same wave length on this issue.
Tuariki

Postby Tuariki » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:20 pm

And looking to the future. I am hoping to see an "ICY" sub 2 tonight.
Tuariki

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:20 am

jazzcyclist wrote:

Exactly.

You should ALWAYS fight to the line. Who knows, everyone in front of you my get injured, have a bad day or get DQ'd.

In fact i'm pretty sure 2 people did get DQ'd from the 800m (initially at last)
mump boy

Postby mump boy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:23 am

Tuariki wrote:
26mi235 wrote:There might be a physical reason that she had such a poor long jump, so she might have been nursing an injury. To go off without any information and just assuming something that you simply do not know seems a silly way to comment. Not a hint of conditional statement etc.

And if she did get an injury in the LJ, then that could explain her 4 step jog approach in the javelin. And of course her withdrawing from the 800m. For example, one can throw the javelin with a dicey hamstring but would risk serious injury by running an 800m.

Which is exactly why i prefaced my original statement by saying it applied only if she wasn't injured
mump boy

Postby norunner » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:38 am

mump boy wrote:Exactly.

You should ALWAYS fight to the line. Who knows, everyone in front of you my get injured, have a bad day or get DQ'd.

In fact i'm pretty sure 2 people did get DQ'd from the 800m (initially at last)
I don't think this was about a medal for her anymore, it was about disappointment. Even if she had gotten a medal because of DQs it would have not changed the disastrous LJ and JT.
norunner

Postby Cranberry1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:36 am

Aníta Hinriksdóttir has just won the 800m final in 2:01.13, well ahead Dureti Edao and Raevyn Rogers. Cherono Koech's championship record of 2:01.67 from 2009 has been broken.
Cranberry1

Postby icerunner » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:47 am

First 400 in 58.3, that is fast but Anita ran like a clear favor and broke the CR.
icerunner

Postby Master Po » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:15 am

Cranberry1 wrote:Aníta Hinriksdóttir has just won the 800m final in 2:01.13, well ahead Dureti Edao and Raevyn Rogers. Cherono Koech's championship record of 2:01.67 from 2009 has been broken.

Congratulations to Hinriksdottir for her excellent performance. Edao & Rogers also each ran ~2 sec. PBs to earn the other medals. Was hoping that Georgia Wassall would finish in the medals, but in this instance she could not replicate her best form in the final, against the other two who achieved significant PBs chasing the winner.
Master Po

Postby aaronk » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:25 am

Raevyn Rogers ran 2:03.32, which, except for Mary Cain, is the fastest HS 800 of the year, indoors or out.....thus faster than Sabrina Southerland ran indoors!!
It places her 12th on the A-T outdoor HS list!!

Keturah Orji LJ'd 6.39......or 20-11 and 3/4.
That places her in a tie for 14th on the outdoor A-T list for HS.

Both Orji (and Courtney Corrin) and Rogers will be in HS next year!!
aaronk

Postby zidan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 am

Jamaica has topped the medal table with a sixth Gold in the boys medley, in World Youth record time as well..
zidan

Postby Rothosen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:04 am

Cranberry1 wrote:Aníta Hinriksdóttir has just won the 800m final in 2:01.13, well ahead Dureti Edao and Raevyn Rogers. Cherono Koech's championship record of 2:01.67 from 2009 has been broken.

Love it when a country with the population of Honolulu wins a gold. Hooray for the little ones.

Now let's see if both her and Judd can push below 2 in a couple weeks.
Rothosen

Postby americantrackfan » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:19 am

At least there is some good happening this week...
americantrackfan

Postby Rothosen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:50 am

Did the US really only get ONE gold medal in individual competition at the World Youth Championships? Becoming a nation of overweight, out of shape, couch potatoes I suppose.
Rothosen

Postby tgs3 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:52 am

Rothosen wrote:Becoming a nation of overweight, out of shape, couch potatoes I suppose.

Yes, that's what a record 17 medals tells us.
tgs3

Postby betterthanb4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:57 am

Finals Girls 200m Irene Ekelund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtrvyHaTWb0

Finals Boys 200m Michael O'hara
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90l_vqsgC78
betterthanb4

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Rothosen wrote:Did the US really only get ONE gold medal in individual competition at the World Youth Championships? Becoming a nation of overweight, out of shape, couch potatoes I suppose.

A better assessment is the overall points table.
The US did OK.
Jamaica, as we are used to these days, was the outstanding performer when you factor in population as a factor.
Tuariki

Postby Brian » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:28 pm

aaronk wrote:Raevyn Rogers ran 2:03.32, which, except for Mary Cain, is the fastest HS 800 of the year, indoors or out.....

Couldn't help but notice it could have been written "Raevyn Rogers ran 2:02.32, the second-fastest HS 800 of the year, indoors or out....."

[Just for the record, this is what some of us were talking about on other threads.]
Brian

Postby Master Po » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:30 pm

17 USA medals is good. As noted, there are different ways of considering whether a nation did well, or not.

Here's another way -- more particular -- that illustrates how USA did well & not well at all at this edition of WYC. Just focused on distance events, in part because that's the place where I would typically expect USA youth athletes to have the least impact, but also I focus here because (as readers of even a fraction of aaronk's posts will know :) ) USA prep distance running is doing well these days. So, USA's distance athletes at WYC:
boys
Robert Ford -- didn't advance past opening round qualifying heat
no second entrant

Blake Haney -- 5th, PB of ~ 6 seconds.
Grant Fisher -- PB in qual heat; 9th in final. Even had he run another PB in the final -- unless it was a huge one -- he still would have finished 9th; did as well as could be expected in this meet.

no entrants

2k St
Bailey Roth -- PB in qual heat; 7th in final. Like Fisher, even had he run another PB in the final -- unless huge -- he would have finished 7th; did as well as could be expected.
no second entrant

girls
Raevyn Rogers -- bronze medal, ~2 second PB
Ersula Farrow -- PB in SF; 8th in final. Great to make the final.

Alexa Ephraimson -- bronze medal, .07 from her PB. Even had she run a PB -- unless a big one -- she still would have finished 3rd.
Anna Maxwell -- 9th in final, in a ~2 sec PB. Good to make the final.

no entrants

2k st
no entrants

8 athletes: 7 PBs & 2 medals (most I hoped was 1 -- I thought Ephraimson had a shot at the medal she earned). We could say that only Robert Ford "underperformed" (though I don't feel like criticizing the kid for it) -- thought he could make SF, but didn't.

An excellent outcome for these 8 athletes. That's the good side. Bad side: What disappoints me is all of the "no entrant(s)". We could have had 16 athletes in these 8 events, but we couldn't find a way to make this opportunity to participate in WYC feasible or attractive enough to several other of our up & coming prep distance runners to get 8 more athletes to this meet. This is not a criticism of our rising young distance athletes, among whom I am sure there were 8 more who might have made this trip. (& no, Mary Cain's presence would not have solved this. Let's leave her in peace for a little while. :wink: :roll: ) Obviously, you can't make someone compete if they don't want to, or can't go, but we should be able to make it possible, feasible, attractive, so that we send a full complement of entrants, or at least get closer than half to a full complement of athletes in these events. USATF comes in for a lot of deserved criticism, and I am inclined to criticize USATF here, too, but I don't have enough specifics to do so. I don't really know what the problem here is, but this was a missed developmental opportunity & experience for 8 athletes.
Master Po

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:48 pm

This meet is six weeks after the end of the season in the US. That is not the case elsewhere (although In Jamaica the high school season is rather early, of course).
26mi235

Postby Tuariki » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

Brian wrote:
aaronk wrote:Raevyn Rogers ran 2:03.32, which, except for Mary Cain, is the fastest HS 800 of the year, indoors or out.....

Couldn't help but notice it could have been written "Raevyn Rogers ran 2:02.32, the second-fastest HS 800 of the year, indoors or out....."

[Just for the record, this is what some of us were talking about on other threads.]

When you are fanatically obsessed, almost stalker like, there was no chance that Raevyn Rogers was going to be congratulated by Aaronk for her fantastic run without the deliberate attempt to downgrade her achievement in comparison to Saint Mary.

Mary Cain is a wonderful athlete and I am sure Aaronk would not be too happy if we prefaced Mary's performances with factual statements such as "Mary Cain ran xx.xx, which except for 20 other girls is the fastest junior time in history" or "Mary Cain ran xx.xx, which except for 2 other girls is the fastest youth time in history".

We should enjoy Mary Cain for what she has achieved, as I am sure we all do, without downgrading the achievement by an accompanying "by the way others have done better". And likewise with Raevyn.
Tuariki

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:46 am

On another note: I was looking at the videos on the home page. The had the girls TJ and LJ. It looked like all of the girls had shortish Step phases, which is not uncommon, even if it is non-optimal. However, the winner looked to have a Step that was less than 3 meters, may be not even 2.5. In fact, in the first replay in the video, a frame or so is missed, and you miss the entire Step phase.
26mi235

PreviousNext