¶USATF Dec: Ashton Eaton 8291


Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: USA Multis

Postby 26mi235 » Sat May 11, 2013 12:12 pm

The Big Ten has also tailed off a little on day 2. Ziemek leads at 7171 (by 279 points)

1 Z. Ziemek, UW - 7171 pts. 2. B. Barrefors, NU - 6892 3. C.Kunze, OSU - 6695

600 (4:53) gives him 7871; he will probably take it easy in the 1500 though and run a 5:10 or something comfortable. He ran 15.10 110h, just off his week-old PR or 15.04; PV only 500 except he was clean at that height and they did not show anything more in the results (room?), so he might have just stopped. He ran 5:16 for 7640. Wisconsin wins both Indoor and Outdoor Big Ten titles -- with four different athletes (Cato/Ziemek; Flax/Akinniyi).
26mi235
 
Posts: 16323
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: USA Multis

Postby 26mi235 » Sun May 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Notable results for the multis, Latham (WI) did individual events (Akinniyi did the Hept, needing a Q and coming back from some injuries) instead of the Hept. She has been improving her 100h time (had 13.75 at NCAAs in 2012 5606). With a good wind (3.1) she went all the way down into hurdler territory -- 13.15.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16323
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Thu May 16, 2013 9:40 pm

From T&FN's "Day's Best Reading": NCAA entries listed for the Dec in Eugene, in early June... A couple Europeans on top of the formchart, we'll see if a few of the USA kids can make a run.
http://www.ncaa.com/content/division-i-track-field-participants-results
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Fri May 17, 2013 7:01 pm

gktrack wrote:My gut tells me that Gunnar Nixon will be in Moscow this summer, being one of the younger ones and more likely on the steeper part of the improvement curve... and last I heard he was in full training by home in Oklahoma... but no sign of him yet outdoors as olorin mentions.

Nixon started is outdoor season in Atlanta Grand Prix:
100m - 10.85 PB (-0.3) previous PB 10.89 (+1.9)
SP - 14.03 outdoor PB (13.74) indoor PB 14.27

In the same competition Hardee and Eaton 15.28 and 14.84 in the SP
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Fri May 17, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks olorin for the post - good to see Nixon heading to Gotzis on a good note.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby bruce3404 » Tue May 21, 2013 7:59 am

Anyone know what happened to Mike Morrison, former NCAA decathlon champ? He seems to have fallen completely off the radar since his 8118 win in Des Moines two years ago. Wouldn't have been unreasonable to expect to see him in London or Moscow.

Should be an interesting battle for the two slots open for Moscow in the decathlon (I'm considering Eaton an absolute lock). Nixon surely a threat, with Beach, Keys and Taiwo also in the hunt. I'd give an edge to Nixon since he'll be the best rested of the group.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: USA Multis

Postby gh » Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 am

Morrison is discussed on p. 4 of this thread
gh
 
Posts: 46327
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:31 am
Location: firmly at Arya's side!

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Tue May 21, 2013 8:24 am

No sign of Morrison yet, except for a remote LJ competition indoors this year. Being so close to the U.S. Nationals, gotta wonder if the only time we'll see him and some of the other non-collegians will be in Des Moines.

olorin - re: Morrison, the sum of his PR's is probably closer to 8300 if you include his PR from high school of 17-6.25 (5.35) which he didn't get close to as a collegiate decathlete (16-8.75 / 5.10).
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Wed May 22, 2013 6:09 am

Most of the top decathletes do not compete in the Regional and get a well deserve rest. The one that I could find on the enter list are:
Beach: PV, LJ
Gooris Daniel: PV
Ziemeck: LJ
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby 26mi235 » Wed May 22, 2013 7:11 am

On the Hept side, Latham is competing in the 100h (wind-aided best of 13.15) and Akinniyi in the HJ.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16323
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Sat May 25, 2013 8:47 am

At Gotzis: Not sure what the weather conditions are there, but Gunnar Nixon seems to be having a reasonably good meet thus far, scoring 4240 points (vs. sum of PR = 4399) on Day 1, sitting in 3rd place behind leader Warner of Canada at 4340...

Nixon's Marks:
100 - 10.92 (PR = 10.85)
LJ - 23-8.75 / 7.23 (PR = 24-5.5 / 7.45)
SP - 43-06 / 13.26 (PR = 46-0.5 / 14.03)
HJ - 7-0.5 / 2.15 (PR = 7-1.5 / 2.17)
400 - 48.92 (PR = 48.39)

His sum of PR totals from Day 2 = 3936, so he's looking good for the B standard, but will need to be on for the A standard
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Sat May 25, 2013 9:55 pm

gktrack wrote:At Gotzis: Not sure what the weather conditions are there, but Gunnar Nixon seems to be having a reasonably good meet thus far, scoring 4240 points (vs. sum of PR = 4399) on Day 1, sitting in 3rd place behind leader Warner of Canada at 4340...

Nixon's Marks:
100 - 10.92 (PR = 10.85)
LJ - 23-8.75 / 7.23 (PR = 24-5.5 / 7.45)
SP - 43-06 / 13.26 (PR = 46-0.5 / 14.03)
HJ - 7-0.5 / 2.15 (PR = 7-1.5 / 2.17)
400 - 48.92 (PR = 48.39)

His sum of PR totals from Day 2 = 3936, so he's looking good for the B standard, but will need to be on for the A standard

The conditions are horrible (as mentioned in the Gotizs thread) and the prime reason why ~8200 will be enough to finish in the top three. Nixon probably lost his chance for the "A" when he had two foul jumps in the LJ before 7.23 in the final attempt. I didn't see the jump but I guess it was relatively safe jump, and that he lost 10-20cm at least.
On the bright side his HJ was really good and he had three good attempts at 2.18.
This is a good meet for Nixon that came as one of the lowest ranked decathlete and show that he can mixed it with the best Europeans.
As for the second day I hope he will improve his weak DT (PB 39.46)
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Sat May 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Thanks olorin - keep us posted on Nixon. I hope weather is better Sunday at Gotzis, and will be very curious to see what Nixon throws in the DT and JT, as I have no clue where he is in those events (last I recall of his DT/JT is from last year).
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Sun May 26, 2013 2:47 am

olorin wrote:The conditions are horrible (as mentioned in the Gotizs thread) and the prime reason why ~8200 will be enough to finish in the top three. Nixon probably lost his chance for the "A" when he had two foul jumps in the LJ before 7.23 in the final attempt. I didn't see the jump but I guess it was relatively safe jump, and that he lost 10-20cm at least.
On the bright side his HJ was really good and he had three good attempts at 2.18.
This is a good meet for Nixon that came as one of the lowest ranked decathlete and show that he can mixed it with the best Europeans.
As for the second day I hope he will improve his weak DT (PB 39.46)

Slightly better conditions at the beginning of the second day. Nixon very close to his PB in the 110h and a new PB in the DT - 41.70 (an improvement of more than two meters).
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Sun May 26, 2013 5:52 am

olorin wrote:Slightly better conditions at the beginning of the second day. Nixon very close to his PB in the 110h and a new PB in the DT - 41.70 (an improvement of more than two meters).


4.66 PV for Nixon. This is outdoor PB (4.60) but still behind his indoor mark (4.80). 60m in the JT (PB 59.31) and 4:20.00 (PB 4:22.63) will score exactly 8200 points. Still have a chance to finish in the top three.
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Sun May 26, 2013 7:38 am

olorin wrote:
olorin wrote:Slightly better conditions at the beginning of the second day. Nixon very close to his PB in the 110h and a new PB in the DT - 41.70 (an improvement of more than two meters).


4.66 PV for Nixon. This is outdoor PB (4.60) but still behind his indoor mark (4.80). 60m in the JT (PB 59.31) and 4:20.00 (PB 4:22.63) will score exactly 8200 points. Still have a chance to finish in the top three.

60.12 PB needs 4:20.4
Good night
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Sun May 26, 2013 8:16 am

olorin - woke up to see your event-by-event posts on Nixon - good stuff.
I'm now clicking on "Gesamt Herren" to see if the youngster hits the A of 8200, a good meet for him regardless.
http://vorarlberg-sport.orf.at/index.php?page=45213
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Sun May 26, 2013 8:24 am

Nixon's 1500 about 7 seconds below his PR, but finishes with a US-leading 8137. Next stop, Des Moines.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby DecFan » Sun May 26, 2013 8:29 am

Just to highlight the information contained in olorin's posts: In pretty poor conditions, Nixon set PRs in both the DT and JT. Also note that he won the 1500 outright, so didn't have anyone to pull him to a fast time there. He clearly is ready to go well over 8200 in Eugene. I have not yet looked in detail at where the other competitors stand, but Nixon certainly will have a good shot at making the team.
DecFan
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby bruce3404 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:34 am

DecFan wrote: He clearly is ready to go well over 8200 in Eugene.


His former Arkansas teammates sure wish that were true. They're locked into a tight battle for the NCAA title with Oregon and Texas A&M and his points would have made them favorites at the meet in Eugene in 10 days. Nixon will be competing in Des Moines in a little less than a month.
Nice to see someone else stepping up to fight for that slot (two, actually) behind Eaton and Hardee.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: USA Multis

Postby Jon » Sun May 26, 2013 12:51 pm

Very impressed by Nixon's 8136 in those conditions at just 20 years old. As far as I can see, only one US decathlete at that age has ever scored higher - Rob Muzzio, who scored 8205 (he was actually 19 at the time, but no one of age 20 has scored higher). In good conditions, Nixon should be able to smash that mark this year.

In comparison, some other US decathletes' scores at age 20: Eaton 8122, Hardee 8041, Harlan 7948, Pappas 7499, Clay 7373.
Jon
 
Posts: 9231
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby DecFan » Sun May 26, 2013 5:11 pm

bruce3404 wrote:
DecFan wrote: He clearly is ready to go well over 8200 in Eugene.


His former Arkansas teammates sure wish that were true. They're locked into a tight battle for the NCAA title with Oregon and Texas A&M and his points would have made them favorites at the meet in Eugene in 10 days. Nixon will be competing in Des Moines in a little less than a month.
Nice to see someone else stepping up to fight for that slot (two, actually) behind Eaton and Hardee.


Yes, of course, thanks for the correction. I was thinking USATF and wrote Eugene.
DecFan
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby DecFan » Sun May 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Jon wrote:Very impressed by Nixon's 8136 in those conditions at just 20 years old. As far as I can see, only one US decathlete at that age has ever scored higher - Rob Muzzio, who scored 8205 (he was actually 19 at the time, but no one of age 20 has scored higher). In good conditions, Nixon should be able to smash that mark this year.

In comparison, some other US decathletes' scores at age 20: Eaton 8122, Hardee 8041, Harlan 7948, Pappas 7499, Clay 7373.


Great stats.

For comparison, some others who did better than Muzzio before age 21:
Suarez 8527
Garcia 8496
Thompson 8470
Schrader 8248
DecFan
 
Posts: 1409
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Sun May 26, 2013 6:06 pm

DecFan wrote:Just to highlight the information contained in olorin's posts: In pretty poor conditions, Nixon set PRs in both the DT and JT. Also note that he won the 1500 outright, so didn't have anyone to pull him to a fast time there. He clearly is ready to go well over 8200 in Eugene. I have not yet looked in detail at where the other competitors stand, but Nixon certainly will have a good shot at making the team.

In addition to the 1500 Nixon also won the HJ and his heats in the 100, 400 and 110h. In each of the heats he was drawn with athletes that were better on paper, and should have pushed him to faster times. Instead, he won without being pushed. The 400 was the prime example as it was similar to Eaton's run in London. He started really slowly maintaining contact with the leaders, then realized that the pace was too slow and run a real fast second half of the race and won easily (I think that this is one of the rare times that it was actually a negative split). I believe that with someone else running low 48 he could stay with him.

The most impressive part of his performance was his consistency throughout the ten events. Many other athletes broke their PB in one or two events, but Nixon was one of the few (the only one?) that perform close to his best in all 10 events (with a single hiccup in the LJ). If he will continue with this quality in the future he will be hard to bit for normal mortals (i.e. those that don't answer to name Ashton Eaton).

His best moment came in the HJ. In one of the 2.18 attempts he asked for crowd support (clapping his hand) and started to run. The crowd (great!!) was probably tired after a long competition and only partly responded. Nixon changed the direction of his run made a full circle stood before the crowd and asked again for their support. From that moment on he became a crowd favourite.
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:56 am

Current ranking of US athlete after NCAA:

1 9039 Ashton EATON
2 8671 Trey HARDEE
3 8239 Jeremy TAIWO
4 8136 Gunnar NIXON
5 8086 Isaac MURPHY
6 8011 Curtis BEACH
7 8001 Dakotah KEYS
8 7955 Kevin LAZAS
9 7954 Gray HORN
10 7932 Wesley BRAY
11 7931 Joe DETMER
12 7873 Garrett SCANTLING
13 7862 Jack SZMANDA
14 7847 Austin BAHNER
15 7840 Chris RANDOLPH
16 7832 David GRZESIAK
17 7813 Terry PRENTICE
7,850 is the "A" standard to USATF so 12 athletes (assuming no injuries) already booked a place in Des Moines.
One athlete that is MIA is Miller Moss. He had one competition in which he was on his way to 8000+ score. Then, had a Beach type of JT and decided not to run the 1500. Since then I was expecting him to get the American "A" but he didn't compete. Is he injured or decided to retire?
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 am

Miller Moss - MIA? I could not find any info on him in addition to what you stated, strange.

I'd maybe add Jake Arnold's 7840 from last year (June 2-3, 2012)... For some reason it has a question mark next to it, but I believe it was good enough to get him in the Oly Trials last year, and he's been doing meets here and there this year, dropping out at/before the 1500.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 am

So here's the deal with Eaton. He can go to DSM and score 7500 points and still make the team.
Hardee has the free pass, thus we get three more athletes. Of these three, only Taiwo and Eaton have A standards, thus it would take TWO more athletes to grab an A to knock Eaton out. Nixon is a possibility, but realistically no one else is going to get 8200. I don't expect anything beyond a "fun" meet for Ashton as he prepares to peak for the World's; in fact, once it becomes clear that no one else beyond Taiwo and, perhaps, Nixon grab an A, it's very possible that Eaton will withdraw or significantly ramp down his efforts, though he might work hard on the throws on day 2. That said, AE could probably wake up on XMAS morning and score an 8400 while half asleep.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: USA Multis

Postby Bruce Kritzler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:50 am

Remember that athletes can chase the standard after USA's till end of July.
Bruce Kritzler
 
Posts: 3126
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 am

Bruce Kritzler wrote:Remember that athletes can chase the standard after USA's till end of July.

Good point, Bruce, and while it would be unlikely that they'd be in shape to do so (that would entail Nixon completing his third decathlon in two months and second in five weeks with Taiwo having to complete 4 decas in 11 weeks, including 3 in 7 weeks), maybe Eaton needs to do that XMAS morning score to feel completely safe.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: USA Multis

Postby tgs3 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:13 pm

bruce3404 wrote:So here's the deal with Eaton. He can go to DSM and score 7500 points and still make the team.

If he finishes 4th (nh or 3 fouls in an event) and say Nixon wins with 8201 and Taiwo also finishes ahead of him, Eaton would be out of luck. If the top 3 at the trials are AAB, then it won't matter that Eaton has the A standard.
tgs3
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:19 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Here's olorin's list with a few question marks included... heading into Des Moines...
(Sorted by sum of in-deca/hepta PR's adding to 8000+ points - corrections welcome)
All Dec PR's from 2012-2013 except Morrison (2011), Detmer (2012=7931), Moss (2012=7712), Randolph (2012=7840), Arnold (2012=7840) and Hardee (2012=8671)
- couldn't figure a way to get them neatly on one line?
Code: Select all
Name......   PR..   SumPR   100..   LJ.   SP..   HJ.   400..   110H.   DT..   PV.   JT..   1500...
Eaton.....   9039   9391    10.19   823   1502   211   45.64   13.34   4736   530   6196   4:14.48
Hardee....   8790   9218    10.28   788   1594   208   47.75   13.54   5268   530   6899   4:40.94
Arnold....   8253   8665    10.93   722   1567   207   48.38   14.06   4914   530   6228   4:31.04
Taiwo.....   8239   8564    10.84   751   1418   225   48.11   14.16   4180   500   5371   4:16.34
Randolph..   8066   8550    11.19   759   1444   207   48.27   14.36   4930   495   6432   4:25.83
Beach.....   8011   8513    10.66   781   1307   211   46.90   14.54   3944   510   4822   3:59.13
Moss......   7996   8462    10.58   734   1485   204   47.15   13.81   4476   500   5322   4:31.90
Detmer....   8090   8406    10.80   739   1318   204   47.03   14.30   4073   491   5720   4:04.11
Morrison..   8118   8404    10.65   752   1322   202   48.06   14.35   4182   525   6311   4:35.35
Nixon.....   8136   8383    10.89   753   1397   215   48.37   14.51   4170   480   6012   4:22.36
Murphy....   8086   8308    10.47   753   1391   190   48.01   14.34   4546   495   5286   4:21.01
Lazas.....   7955   8297    10.83   758   1500   200   50.38   15.08   4157   540   6034   4:31.03
Scantling.   7873   8293    10.85   714   1466   211   49.20   14.49   4374   510   6526   4:50.74
Horn......   7954   8233    10.71   765   1388   207   49.42   14.25   4182   490   5282   4:29.19
Johnson...   7721   8215    10.58   752   1375   196   48.80   14.56   4780   480   6158   4:28.25
Keys......   8001   8156    10.94   731   1328   209   50.15   14.60   3791   490   6681   4:25.76
Gooris....   7780   8095    11.31   705   1436   201   50.16   14.79   4265   540   5752   4:25.19
Szmanda...   7862   8058    11.14   697   1435   202   49.21   14.99   4240   530   5444   4:25.35
Bray......   7932   8050    10.94   743   1407   193   49.25   14.71   4175   480   6170   4:30.88
Bahner....   7847   8036    10.63   755   1347   195   49.05   15.35   4896   460   5709   4:38.45
Prentice..   7813   8012    10.66   766   1421   206   49.83   14.26   4133   450   5041   4:38.56
Grzesiak..   7832   8000    11.36   692   1420   212   49.23   14.78   4003   504   5635   4:26.10
Last edited by gktrack on Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby bruce3404 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:34 pm

tgs3 wrote:
bruce3404 wrote:So here's the deal with Eaton. He can go to DSM and score 7500 points and still make the team.

If he finishes 4th (nh or 3 fouls in an event) and say Nixon wins with 8201 and Taiwo also finishes ahead of him, Eaton would be out of luck. If the top 3 at the trials are AAB, then it won't matter that Eaton has the A standard.

Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure how the AAB thing works with the World's vs the Olympics (maybe it's the same?). Anyways, I doubt if more than one newbie will achieve the A AND beat Eaton and it's questionable what sort of shape Taiwo or Nixon will be in given their recent workloads. Beach seems out of luck with an apparent bad shoulder.
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:38 pm

bruce3404 wrote:
Bruce Kritzler wrote:Remember that athletes can chase the standard after USA's till end of July.

Good point, Bruce, and while it would be unlikely that they'd be in shape to do so (that would entail Nixon completing his third decathlon in two months and second in five weeks with Taiwo having to complete 4 decas in 11 weeks, including 3 in 7 weeks), maybe Eaton needs to do that XMAS morning score to feel completely safe.

As noted in another thread Chincin (Brazil) Completed three decathlons in one month scoring:
7989 (12/05) 8182 (26/05) and 8393 (8/06) when the last two are PBs. Chihcin is 28 while most of Eaton's competition is in their early twenties with much faster recovery times.
Even if Des Moines will have negative winds of 10m per second, I wouldn't advice Eaton to gamble on Nixon/Beach/Lazas and company failing to chase the "A" mark after the competition. I would personally be amazed if by the end of this season a healthy Nixon will not get the "A".
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:50 pm

gktrack wrote:Here's olorin's list with a few question marks included... heading into Des Moines...
(Sorted by sum of in-decathlon PR's adding to 8000+ points - corrections welcome)
All Dec PR's from 2012-2013 except Morrison (2011), Detmer (2012=7931), Moss (2012=7712), Randolph (2012=7840), Arnold (2012=7840) and Hardee (2012=8671)
- couldn't figure a way to get them neatly on one line?
Code: Select all
Name......   PR..   SumPR   100..   LJ.   SP..   HJ.   400..   110H.   DT..   PV.   JT..   1500...
Eaton.....   9039   9269    10.19   816   1502   211   45.64   13.34   4736   526   5793   4:18.94
Hardee....   8790   9218    10.28   788   1594   208   47.75   13.54   5268   530   6899   4:40.94
Arnold....   8253   8665    10.93   722   1567   207   48.38   14.06   4914   530   6228   4:31.04
Taiwo.....   8239   8564    10.84   751   1418   225   48.11   14.16   4180   500   5371   4:16.34
Randolph..   8066   8550    11.19   759   1444   207   48.27   14.36   4930   495   6432   4:25.83
Beach.....   8011   8513    10.66   781   1307   211   46.90   14.54   3944   510   4822   3:59.13
Moss......   7996   8462    10.58   734   1485   204   47.15   13.81   4476   500   5322   4:31.90
Detmer....   8090   8406    10.80   739   1318   204   47.03   14.30   4073   491   5720   4:04.11
Morrison..   8118   8404    10.65   752   1322   202   48.06   14.35   4182   525   6311   4:35.35
Nixon.....   8136   8383    10.89   753   1397   215   48.37   14.51   4170   480   6012   4:22.36
Murphy....   8086   8308    10.47   753   1391   190   48.01   14.34   4546   495   5286   4:21.01
Lazas.....   7955   8297    10.83   758   1500   200   50.38   15.08   4157   540   6034   4:31.03
Scantling.   7873   8293    10.85   714   1466   211   49.20   14.49   4374   510   6526   4:50.74
Horn......   7954   8233    10.71   765   1388   207   49.42   14.25   4182   490   5282   4:29.19
Johnson...   7721   8215    10.58   752   1375   196   48.80   14.56   4780   480   6158   4:28.25
Keys......   8001   8156    10.94   731   1328   209   50.15   14.60   3791   490   6681   4:25.76
Gooris....   7780   8095    11.31   705   1436   201   50.16   14.79   4265   540   5752   4:25.19
Szmanda..   7862   8058    11.14   697   1435   202   49.21   14.99   4240   530   5444   4:25.35
Bray......   7932   8050    10.94   743   1407   193   49.25   14.71   4175   480   6170   4:30.88
Bahner....   7847   8036    10.63   755   1347   195   49.05   15.35   4896   460   5709   4:38.45
Prentice..   7813   8012    10.66   766   1421   206   49.83   14.26   4133   450   5041   4:38.56
Grzesiak..   7832   8000    11.36   692   1420   212   49.23   14.78   4003   504   5635   4:26.10

Your Eaton scores are old one - you have to update the LJ (8.23), PV (15.40), JT (66.40) and the 1500.
I would be careful to use the sum of PBs as an indication for potential for the "old athletes" (e.g. Arnold). As GH noted earlier athletes change their abilities over the years and the sum of PBs might over estimate the athlete ability.
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:23 pm

olorin wrote:Your Eaton scores are old one - you have to update the LJ (8.23), PV (15.40), JT (66.40) and the 1500.
I would be careful to use the sum of PBs as an indication for potential for the "old athletes" (e.g. Arnold). As GH noted earlier athletes change their abilities over the years and the sum of PBs might over estimate the athlete ability.

Thanks olorin - my info is only in-decathlon PR's (using Zarnowski's info as a guide), so I updated Eaton's OlyTrial 8.23 LJ and 5.30 PV but only used his updated 61.96 (his non-CalPoly best?) JT from London - yes, I fell asleep on those.
- and no question Arnold's, etc. (or any of the older decathletes) PR's need to be interpreted with great caution, but I think this audience understands that (otherwise, my database would be a mix-match of stuff).
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Re: USA Multis

Postby Jackaloupe » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:26 pm

Eaton's SP is up to 15.40, in an open meet, leaving D as the only event awaiting that li'l UpGrade that's clearly in the wings, so to speak.

HJ is a current 'incognita', what with his tweaking that "tendon behind the knee" last month (that prompted pulling out of the German meet); clearly plenty of potential to consolidate 210 and above.
Last edited by Jackaloupe on Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackaloupe
 
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:33 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby olorin » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:09 am

olorin wrote:Current ranking of US athlete after NCAA:

1 9039 Ashton EATON
2 8671 Trey HARDEE
3 8239 Jeremy TAIWO
4 8136 Gunnar NIXON
5 8086 Isaac MURPHY
6 8011 Curtis BEACH
7 8001 Dakotah KEYS
8 7955 Kevin LAZAS
9 7954 Gray HORN
10 7932 Wesley BRAY
11 7931 Joe DETMER
12 7873 Garrett SCANTLING
13 7862 Jack SZMANDA
14 7847 Austin BAHNER
15 7840 Chris RANDOLPH
16 7832 David GRZESIAK
17 7813 Terry PRENTICE
7,850 is the "A" standard to USATF so 12 athletes (assuming no injuries) already booked a place in Des Moines.
One athlete that is MIA is Miller Moss. He had one competition in which he was on his way to 8000+ score. Then, had a Beach type of JT and decided not to run the 1500. Since then I was expecting him to get the American "A" but he didn't compete. Is he injured or decided to retire?

Beach, Detmer and Scantling (Marlow?) are still not declared. Miller Moss is on the provisional lists. With a qualifying mark of 7,712 he is currently ranked 14 (out of 18 spots) from all the athletes that declared. However, there are still 10 athletes that are ranked above him that didn't declared yet so his chances are not too good.
Finally, Gray Horn (that was the only athlete beside Eaton to do well in Eugene last year) competed in Ottawa just before the NCAA finals. He scored ~7,500 and broke one individual PB (110h) in conditions that could rival Gotizs.

EDIT: Beach is now on the starting line up. Another big name that is missing is Lazas. In the NCAA he had very poor 400 & 1500. I thought (and hoped) that he is conserving for the USATF. But, maybe something is wrong with him.
Last edited by olorin on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
olorin
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am

Re: USA Multis

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:01 am

olorin wrote:Beach, Detmer and Scantling (Marlow?) are still not declared. Miller Moss is on the provisional lists. With a qualifying mark of 7,712 he is currently ranked 14 (out of 18 spots) from all the athletes that declared. However, there are still 10 athletes that are ranked above him that didn't declared yet so his chances are not too good.
Finally, Gray Horn (that was the only athlete beside Eaton to do well in Eugene last year) competed in Ottawa just before the NCAA finals. He scored ~7,500 and broke one individual PB (110h) in conditions that could rival Gotizs.


Beach appeared to be hurt at the NCAAs (115' in the JT would indicate shoulder issues).
bruce3404
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 am
Location: Track Town, USA

Re: USA Multis

Postby 26mi235 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:25 pm

I have seen no word on Detmer at all this year (although I did see that his sister Anne was running at least semi-seriously) and he is not on the entry list. Someone I know her said the same.
26mi235
 
Posts: 16323
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:32 am
Location: Madison, WI

Re: USA Multis

Postby gktrack » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:23 am

Only a handful of days left and not on the entry list are Lazas and Scantling (who had a 4-5 second 1500 PR at NCAA's to get 7850+), and no comeback for Morrison I guess this year.
http://www.usatf.org/Events---Calendar/2013/USATFCS/Events/USA-Outdoor-Track---Field-Championships/Status-of-Entries.aspx
gktrack
 
Posts: 1146
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 pm

PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Bruce Kritzler, Google [Bot], Kafuffle and 9 guests