USATF TV and Webcast

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: USATF TV and Webcast

Postby Alan Shank » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Al in NYC wrote:
HopStepJump wrote:
Al in NYC wrote:Just finished watching the meet on my DVR. Shame they went back to Hammond and didn't keep Hutchins on as lead commentator.

And did I miss something, or was Michelle Carter's SP AR not mentioned at all on the NBCSN telecast? Didn't know it had happened until I came to this board.

It was shown during the Universal Sports coverage before NBCSN.

Well, that explains how I missed it. Here in NYC we get only Time Warner Cable, which is the second largest cable provider in the country, and doesn't carry Universal Sports.

Of course, none of the other major cable systems carry it either. Which begs the question: why the hell is part of our national championships on a channel that almost nobody receives? I would much rather that it was streamed (hopefully with somewhat higher production values than this week's broadcasts), which would at least mean that anyone with decent internet access could see it.

Not sure of the answer, but I think Universal Sports is part of the NBC "corporate cancer", so they get the dregs, then NBCSN gets the better stuff, and finally the "flagship" station gets the Sunday afternoon all-finals part. I'm not sure about ESPN; it used to be part of ABC Sports, but now they use much of the NBC announcing crew. Thursday on ESPN2 they had Tim Hutchings, Ato Boldon, Lewis Johnson and Dwight Stones, then the same crew on Universal Sports, but when it switched to NBCSN, we had those four, but with Tom Hamhock in the "lead" spot.

Fortunately for me, DirecTV does carry Universal Sports, which also enables me to get the live DL streaming on US for free. However, I had to buy a "sports package", most of which I never watch, to get Universal.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby Pego » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:32 am

Alan Shank wrote:I didn't hear any mention of the fact that Dawn Harper-Nelson had scratched from the 100 H, or that we would be sending four to Moscow. Ditto with Demus in 400 H, although maybe I missed it.

If you missed it, so did I. Every time I want to pull my hair out (if I had any, that is), I just keep reminding myself how much better this is than what we had for decades.
Pego

Postby Master Po » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 am

Pego wrote:...Every time I want to pull my hair out (if I had any, that is), I just keep reminding myself how much better this is than what we had for decades.

^
Agree. This attitude is what allows me to keep the little bit of hair I still have. Easy to imagine how this could be improved, but it is so much better than what we have endured for such a long time.
Master Po

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:17 am

Saturday's show had ample time to show us plenty of past action. 100h semis, wrap up of 10k's; Woman's SP; yada. yada. The 100h is THE story of the meet and it's such a short race, and they could've built it up. What do we get? Lolo's new start. I guess Video was done and these guys cannot be flexible. I get it, though. TF is a minor sport and there is no $ for better shows, except every 4 years. The Livecast is an improvement though if one doesn't mind sitting around picking the best fruit off the tree.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:18 am

Master Po wrote:
Pego wrote:...Every time I want to pull my hair out (if I had any, that is), I just keep reminding myself how much better this is than what we had for decades.

^
Agree. This attitude is what allows me to keep the little bit of hair I still have. Easy to imagine how this could be improved, but it is so much better than what we have endured for such a long time.

Yep. I remember having to go to the local (Salt Lake) library to look up results on the L.A. Times. Track news by Tom Tom.
jeremyp

Postby Bob Duncan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:10 am

jeremyp wrote:Yep. I remember having to go to the local (Salt Lake) library to look up results on the L.A. Times. Track news by Tom Tom.

I used to buy USA Today because they consistently carried track results. Back in the day, getting to watch a European meet live was only a dream.

I had to take my wife to the emergency room on Thursday night, as she was a bit dehydrated. So naturally, I brought along the laptop, knowing that they had Wi-Fi at the hospital. It was a bit surreal sitting there in the exam room while watching the 10,000 meter races on the web. The nurse came in and asked me whether I was watching the NBA game and I said, uh, no. Meanwhile, wife is watching stuff on her Kindle in between treatments.

She ended up getting admitted (she's being released today) and so Friday night, I set up the DVR to record the television coverage while I visited her in the hospital, then stayed up late to catch up. Technology has certainly not hurt our sport.
Bob Duncan

Postby cladthin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 am

Times and tech. have definitely improved the delivery (on occasion) and content available about T/F as well as all sports and media in general (though at times you would not know it ).

This most disappointing aspect is that with the improvements in tech., the delivery, the overall product of track and field comp. (in the U.S.) is a failure considering the possibilities. The entire production could be so much better that the one currently available if not for what seems to be indifference, at best, by the network higher-ups. Instead we see half-assed productions. Maybe half is being too generous.

Regarding dumbing down content, I can recall as a very young kid watching sports I had zero knowledge about on tv. Looking back, the announcers helped to keep you informed but did not treat the viewers as I was, just a kid. It made you have to "figure it out" along with their help. I'm sure many of us had similar experiences where we just had to learn it by watching or by doing or both and it is/was not that difficult to get up to speed regarding rules, tactics, etc.
cladthin

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:59 am

Many have discovered that the webcast is a waste of time and energy. The tv networks consider the results and what little coverage, especially the field events, Secret-Secret stuff. Maybe we can get a feed through the NSA? The indoors NCAA tv crew, Stones, et al, didn't even know that Tia Brooks set an NCAA record, much less include it on the tv broadcast.
sleeperz

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:02 am

That's it!!! That's the Ticket!! lets get help from the NSA!!!!! They surly have a Feed!!! :roll:
sleeperz

Postby 26mi235 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:11 am

cladthin wrote:Regarding dumbing down content, I can recall as a very young kid watching sports I had zero knowledge about on tv. Looking back, the announcers helped to keep you informed but did not treat the viewers as I was, just a kid. It made you have to "figure it out" along with their help. I'm sure many of us had similar experiences where we just had to learn it by watching or by doing or both and it is/was not that difficult to get up to speed regarding rules, tactics, etc.

The web stream with Godina and Dan was pretty good, not dumbed down, had all sorts of comments, etc. I could go read a bunch of threads and keep there audio going with quick looks at the action.
26mi235

Postby cladthin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:20 am

26mi235 wrote:
cladthin wrote:Regarding dumbing down content, I can recall as a very young kid watching sports I had zero knowledge about on tv. Looking back, the announcers helped to keep you informed but did not treat the viewers as I was, just a kid. It made you have to "figure it out" along with their help. I'm sure many of us had similar experiences where we just had to learn it by watching or by doing or both and it is/was not that difficult to get up to speed regarding rules, tactics, etc.

The web stream with Godina and Dan was pretty good, not dumbed down, had all sorts of comments, etc. I could go read a bunch of threads and keep there audio going with quick looks at the action.

I liked what they had to offer and listened to quite a bit of it yesterday (posted earlier in this thread). Still, it was clear they were very limited in what they could do with poor camera angles, lack of communication with production crew, etc. and had to make the best of bad situation- at least one with very limited resources at their disposal. Dan apologized, as I'm sure you heard, many times about not having a video feed to put up on screen.
cladthin

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:29 am

The introductions for the SR PV is on audio but it's Secret-Secret as there is no video. We get to watch the End Zone with USATF. What a waste and JOKE on the USA for all the US and international internet customers who will not get to "see" any thing. Just turn this off. I hope the advertisers see this as I would not buy any of their goods for supporting such a poor product. Gill is getting robbed.
sleeperz

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:38 am

There's something up on the net now, but it's a backwards split screen with vertical red and blue stripes. I'm embarrassed to know this comes from the USA. Now a lost signal. Great.
sleeperz

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:15 am

So here we are watching the B Jav throws. We were watching the Women's PV. Dan says "Sit back and enjoy these field events." What field events? Now runners standing backwards in blocks, Dan's audio doesn't match the video most of the time. I bet we won't see many shot puts as they will be secret-secret for tv. Hey, let's see another miss in the vault. Dan, the women's jav landing is NOT different from the men's. This reporting is like the NCAAs about 3 or 4 years ago.I think we should have more time spent looking at the result screen waiting for a distance.
sleeperz

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:20 am

Ah, there's the Jav tent.Wow, people standing around. Just feel the excitement! Why no shot throws? already into the first round. Secret stuff. Like yesterday, we won't see great throws.
sleeperz

Postby tm71 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:25 am

If it were up to me I would keep Hutchins, Ato for the sprints and Dwight for the field events, maybe get some one like Tom Feuer to do interviews and can every one else
tm71

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:31 am

Who is the person directing the internet video feed? We r watching people standing at the jav area. We didn't see Jen's PV make. Now lost signal. Ah, there's a great shot of the Jav official's butt if you r into that. I'm not. Such a joke on the USA. Ah, there's a female official's waddle to the jav area. No throwers though. Ah, she's walking back.The official had a great vid of putting down is clip board. Exciting!
Last edited by sleeperz on Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
sleeperz

Postby booond » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:35 am

tm71 wrote:If it were up to me I would keep Hutchins, Ato for the sprints and Dwight for the field events, maybe get some one like Tom Feuer to do interviews and can every one else

Please no interviews. Also, though the subject is about the USATF product, how bad does Tom Hammond have to get to be replaced. He has no idea who is in the race while it's run. All he knows is the storyline.
booond

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:40 am

It will be a shock if we see more thant 3 shot puts on tv. Wow!!!!! we get to watch the Jav Warm up approaches!!!! Dang !
sleeperz

Postby rsb2 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:44 am

NBC starting soon (1-3 pm/Pacific). Please give us some Tim Hutchings !
rsb2

Postby cladthin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Any good links out there? I've checked sportlemon, livetvcafe and firstrowsports-nothing.
cladthin

Postby polevaultpower » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:44 pm

I don't care how hard it was to get results 30 years ago. The technology to get live, in-progress field event updates has existed for 10+ years. USATF has been partnering with a company (FlashResults) that has been providing live, in-progress field event updates for several years now (thanks in part to my complaining bitterly when they weren't doing so!). USATF chose to partner with someone else (Branch Sports) this time and the result was a hot mess.

I didn't bother with other events, but in the pole vault, the X's and O's were bouncing all over the place, the standings were not updating properly, the ties were being broken incorrectly, and at the end of both competitions, whoever was updating just gave up and stopped trying.

This isn't just something that was annoying me, it was also causing the webcast and stadium announcers to screw up because they were getting bad data. And this was after in-progress updates not working at all the first day or two.

USATF should have in their contracts with these results companies that if they do a shitty job, they don't get full payment.

I don't like the attitude of, "it's free, you take what you can get." This is a professional sports organization, but the web content is not reflecting that.
Last edited by polevaultpower on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
polevaultpower

Postby DecFan » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:29 pm

polevaultpower wrote:I don't care how hard it was to get results 30 years ago. The technology to get live, in-progress field event updates has existed for 10+ years. USATF has been partnering with a company (FlashResults) that has been providing live, in-progress field event updates for several years now (thanks in part to my complaining bitterly when they weren't doing so!). They chose to partner with someone else (Branch Sports) this time and the result was a hot mess.

I didn't bother with other events, but in the pole vault, the X's and O's were bouncing all over the place, the standings were not updating properly, the ties were being broken incorrectly, and at the end of both competitions, whoever was updating just gave up and stopped trying.

This isn't just something that was annoying me, it was also causing the webcast and stadium announcers to screw up because they were getting bad data. And this was after in-progress updates not working at all the first day or two.

USATF should have in their contracts with these results companies that if they do a shitty job, they don't get full payment.

I don't like the attitude of, "it's free, you take what you can get." This is a professional sports organization, but the web content is not reflecting that.

*This. Agree completely.
DecFan

Postby Alan Shank » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:28 pm

tm71 wrote:If it were up to me I would keep Hutchins,

Doesn't your keyboard have a 'g'? >:-)
I'd say can the interviews entirely and use the time to show action.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby mr.p » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:40 pm

This is ridiculous. NBC just showed the 200 semis, the 110h semis, and then logged off. I haven't been paying attention to TV/webcast alternatives, but as best I can tell, the finals won't be on TV at all. (My wife just found repeat tonight at 10 p.m. on a cable station - is that it?) Ridiculous.
mr.p

Postby Alan Shank » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:53 pm

mr.p wrote:This is ridiculous. NBC just showed the 200 semis, the 110h semis, and then logged off. I haven't been paying attention to TV/webcast alternatives, but as best I can tell, the finals won't be on TV at all. (My wife just found repeat tonight at 10 p.m. on a cable station - is that it?) Ridiculous.

The program continued on NBC (the "flagship" station). Today we had three shows: Universal Sports, NBCSN and NBC. I DVR'd them all, of course, on two TV's!
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby sleeperz » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:55 pm

I've been sending EMAil to USATF. No Response
Off the TFN Site
I think she needs to know what many experienced and are thinking.
I will speak with an acquaintance from Gill and ask if they know. I believe they paid for advertising

June 18, 2013
Katie Branham
USA Track & Field
Marketing &Communications Manager
317­-713­-4672
Katie.Branham@usatf.org

http://content.usatf.org/vo/?FileID=25d ... D=26742994

Remember this was secret stuff for TV coverage even if Dan was giving results verbally. We shouild have had an NSA feed. We could have watched it all!
sleeperz

Postby tm71 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 pm

Alan Shank wrote:
tm71 wrote:If it were up to me I would keep Hutchins,

Doesn't your keyboard have a 'g'? >:-)
I'd say can the interviews entirely and use the time to show action.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA

Sorry I am typing all of my posts on my iPhone and it is auto correcting hutchings to hutchins.
Regardless USATF needs to hold all of their big meets during horse racing so that way we won't get to see Tom Hammond. as far as post race interviews producers and the average sports fans like them that is why they have them. I agree that sticking a microphone in mccrory's face after she gasped to tell u that she gave it all and is spent doesn't add much to the telecast.
tm71

Postby gh » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:06 pm

eyes of the beholder department: a letter to the editor I just got (from a longtime follower of the sport)

PROPS TO USATF?

Never in a lifetime of track and field fandom would I ever have visualized writing an endorsement of our governing body but, dang, they sure "got it right" with the implementation of USATF.tv as a medium for following this year's National Championships. I found it to be exceptionally user friendly (even on flash-less i devices) and was truly the next best thing to actually being there. Thank you USATF and huge props...nicely done!
gh

Postby cladthin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:01 pm

gh wrote:eyes of the beholder department: a letter to the editor I just got (from a longtime follower of the sport)

PROPS TO USATF?

Never in a lifetime of track and field fandom would I ever have visualized writing an endorsement of our governing body but, dang, they sure "got it right" with the implementation of USATF.tv as a medium for following this year's National Championships. I found it to be exceptionally user friendly (even on flash-less i devices) and was truly the next best thing to actually being there. Thank you USATF and huge props...nicely done!

Maybe this person is accustomed to getting their track and field info. via smoke signals and semaphore? I think most are just expecting track and field to be covered on t.v. or online according to the standards of the day-the way other sports are covered and that's not happening.
cladthin

Postby DrJay » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:25 pm

[quote="cladthin] Maybe this person is accustomed to getting their track and field info. via smoke signals and semaphore? [/quote]

I prefer Morse Code myself.
DrJay

Postby Pego » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:27 am

gh wrote:eyes of the beholder department: a letter to the editor I just got (from a longtime follower of the sport)

PROPS TO USATF?

A few of us expressed similar sentiments in this thread :wink: .
Pego

Postby jkhlkjhlkh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:22 am

I was shocked by how good the coverage was, very thankful for it. I didn't read all of the comments to know if this was mentioned before, I didn't read every post, but they seem to be posting recordings of every single race, with the finals in extremely high quality. Never would have expected this, great job USATF!!!!!! Also very cool to hear gh commentating!!!

To reiterate, if you missed any of the events, USATF is uploading video of EVERY senior men's and women's track final in extremely high quality. You can watch it whenever you want. They seem to be uploading all the heats as well!! This is like a dream come true, The video menu is divided by event on the left side of the screen.

http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup ... o_id=94313
jkhlkjhlkh

Postby booond » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:45 am

jkhlkjhlkh wrote:I was shocked by how good the coverage was, very thankful for it. I didn't read all of the comments to know if this was mentioned before, I didn't read every post, but they seem to be posting recordings of every single race, with the finals in extremely high quality. Never would have expected this, great job USATF!!!!!! Also very cool to hear gh commentating!!!

To reiterate, if you missed any of the events, USATF is uploading video of EVERY senior men's and women's track final in extremely high quality. You can watch it whenever you want. They seem to be uploading all the heats as well!! This is like a dream come true, The video menu is divided by event on the left side of the screen.

http://www.usatf.tv/gprofile.php?mgroup ... o_id=94313

Katie Branham, is that you?
booond

Postby toyracer » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:37 am

I watched online on Friday afternoon/night only, and I was grateful for the coverage.

On Saturday and Sunday I watched via cable NBCSN & NBC. The guy that does the commentary with Ato; he really serves no useful purpose. Seems to get the names wrong half the time, and the other half he doesn't say much at all. I don't know his name. Ato seems to spend quite a bit of time either correcting him or filling in missing info.
toyracer

Postby Marlow » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:46 am

toyracer wrote: Ato seems to spend quite a bit of time either correcting him or filling in missing info.

Ato is growing on me. I used to think he was just another sprinter with bluster and bravado, but the dude's getting good!
Marlow

Postby HopStepJump » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:10 am

I think overall the webcast was a mixed bag. It was nice to see much of Thursday's coverage on line since there was no television. Also, I was able to see the early multis events, so that was good. I suppose the race walking fans were pretty happy, too. I enjoyed listening to Godina on the few occasions that he was on.

The field event coverage was dismal. I can kind of give them a pass for the outside events, but the field event coverage was equally bad inside the stadium. It seemed like the producer had never been to a track meet before. As the women's PV was getting to the critical point of deciding who would make the team, they were showing the 1st flight of javelin thowers. There seemed to be no sense of what was significant at the time.

The biggest fiasco, however, has to be the field event results as pointed out by polevaultpower. The webcast is a bonus, but accurate live results are imperative. I hope people are held accountable.
HopStepJump

Postby 26mi235 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:46 pm

There are many championship meets where the video is running along with the comments of Mr Multi -- Z. I am beginning to simply attach that voice to the event (and why not!). The multis have the advantage that there is little competition for attention and I am itching to get the champs underway. Then the expert comments of decfan et al, kick in on the board and it creates a bit of a community.
26mi235

Postby jkhlkjhlkh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:53 pm

cladthin wrote:

PROPS TO USATF?

Maybe this person is accustomed to getting their track and field info. via smoke signals and semaphore? I think most are just expecting track and field to be covered on t.v. or online according to the standards of the day-the way other sports are covered and that's not happening.

I think what's exciting as a fan of the sport is that we are reaching a point where the major championships are being archived online in high quality. Potentially, they could be stored there forever. This is a big change from 10 years ago, where if you miss the meet, you missed it. If you missed the 2013 Superbowl, good luck trying to watch it in its entirety.

But if you missed the Women's London Olympic 5000m 2nd Semifinal, just go to youtube and you can see it in 720p quality. Now that the USATF has emulated that type of approach with the finals in their championships, the IAAF is the only one that needs to jump on board. Channel 4 posted some videos from Daegu in 2011, but it would be really great if for Moscow, IAAF posted videos from every event in 720p resolution or higher.

This is a huge improvement in the quality of event coverage from 10 years ago. Try finding the the 2003 USATF 400m national championships anywhere online. In some ways, we are luckier than fans of other sports in regards to our major championships. Especially moving forward if the online trend in coverage continues. I can guarantee you the NFL will never release the old SuperBowls online.
jkhlkjhlkh

Postby cladthin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:20 pm

[/quote]
I think what's exciting as a fan of the sport is that we are reaching a point where the major championships are being archived online in high quality. Potentially, they could be stored there forever. This is a big change from 10 years ago, where if you miss the meet, you missed it. If you missed the 2013 Superbowl, good luck trying to watch it in its entirety.

But if you missed the Women's London Olympic 5000m 2nd Semifinal, just go to youtube and you can see it in 720p quality. Now that the USATF has emulated that type of approach with the finals in their championships, the IAAF is the only one that needs to jump on board. Channel 4 posted some videos from Daegu in 2011, but it would be really great if for Moscow, IAAF posted videos from every event in 720p resolution or higher.

This is a huge improvement in the quality of event coverage from 10 years ago. Try finding the the 2003 USATF 400m national championships anywhere online. In some ways, we are luckier than fans of other sports in regards to our major championships. Especially moving forward if the online trend in coverage continues. I can guarantee you the NFL will never release the old SuperBowls online.[/quote]

While the availability of archived material is nice to have, this thread is about live t.v. and internet coverage and not the accessibility of past meet footage.

I, like most fans, want to see the action live and presented professionally by analysts who know the sport (i.e. not Tom Hammond) and can present a quality product with a minimum of incorrect comments/mis-statements that most of us know is wrong the moment they are said. We have seen a good product and that's when it's done by the likes of Hutchings (yes I know he also works for NBC-a good move on their part), Storey, Matthews/Ovett in the past, Cram, etc.-the Eurosport or BBC versions of track and field productions. That's how it should be done and not as NBC and their associated networks have done it. NBC is not good. Many events-especially the field events-get virtually no coverage. USATF needs to step it up too and give better resources to Godina and O'Brien who attempted (I feel) to make the best of a bad situation.

With reference to your comment about our luck as fans, In many ways, we are not as lucky as fans of other sports who get a quality presentation by knowledgeable, passionate commentators who keep their screw-ups to a minimum. No one expects perfection but we do expect there to be at least the appearance of making an effort which usually it does not. These network screw-ups seem to keep happening and it's the same mistakes. Why do they not learn from these mistakes? Do they not care? It looks like a lot of indifference to me. Tom H. for example does not improve. It's a bad product. They should hire the entire BBC/Eurosport crews and let them do all of our coverage as NBC and ESPN never seem to learn or care. Do you happen to be an employee of USATF or of one of the networks?
Last edited by cladthin on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cladthin

PreviousNext