USATF TV and Webcast

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: USATF TV and Webcast

Postby jeremyp » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:34 am

rsb2 wrote:I thought the coverage on ESPN2 was very good, with some of the best commentary we have heard on American-based meets. Hutchings is great, he and Ato worked well together, and Dwight is good when kept to his role, updates on the field events. Why they keep Johnson on that team, I have no idea. They brought him up to do the colour commentary on the 800's, and within the first lap he was confusing Maggie Vessey and Geena Gall (who were in different races), before Hutchings quickly corrected him. Yes, the camera angles for the 100's were awkward, but clearly that was a good decision to change the direction. For those of us not in the USA, we won't be able to watch on Universal or NBC Sports, whereas it's easy to pick up livestreams of ESPN2 worldwide. Regardless, that was a damn good 2 hours of our sport, well presented!

I guess our requirements for "good" are different. 1. No recap of previous finals. 2. Terrible camera work, probably the worst I've seen in decades. 3. No 100h semis! 4. Johnson is appalling and Hutchings is good. Let's dispense with post race interviews. They can be summed up: 1. I thank the Lord (God, Allah, Yahweh) for my win. 2. mumble, mumble. The exception: Montano!
jeremyp

Postby aaronk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:04 am

If you can't get the ESPN portion of the webcast....like I can't........go to Twitter for a lap-by-lap, almost 200-by-200 progress report of races. (I'm thinking of the women's 1500, of course!!)

Why doesn't Clearwire.......a big organization, have ESPN???
It's really F--Ked!!! :x
(And don't tell me to complain to them! One person complaining won't be worth a damn!!!)
aaronk

Postby DecFan » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:26 am

So we were able to see the Dec DT, sort of: camera was set up on the right side ofthe cage and decathletes were often between the camera and the person throwing. But that's ok, gives a sense of being there. The camera panned to the scoreboard and only missed one result. The live updates missed the first 4 throws, but then caught up and worked fine.

Until Nixon walks up to take his last throw. Then the camera cuts away to officials watering plants. I am not kidding. And the live updates don't update. And 15 minutes later there are still not complete results (missing the last 7 throws).

I'm giving up. These interruptions and crazy choices on the producer's part are just too frustrating. Really, if a webcast of a decathlon can't hold MY interest . . .
DecFan

Postby Alan Shank » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:33 am

For me this afternoon (starting with W Junior 1500), lots and lots of freeze-ups, so that my watch is out-of-sync with the race.
Dam!
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby no one » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 pm

late to the party here - is that Garry H doing the stadium announcing?
no one

Postby tm71 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:14 pm

Ridiculous how Godina says sorry for the pause while we watch the hurdles but the hurdles aren't on out screen. I am very appreciative that we have the live stream option in addition to the live tv coverage but the production and commentary is amateur. I hope it is better in 2015 !
tm71

Postby aaronk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:19 pm

I'm (miraculously) getting the Universal Sports FREE coverage!!
But it looks like it will be ending PRIOR to the women's 1500 at 4:46 p.m.!
Correct??
aaronk

Postby bushop » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:22 pm

DecFan wrote:And the live updates don't update.

Women's shot put was sometimes 15 minutes behind the throw... poor form.
bushop

Postby ATK » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:31 pm

bushop wrote:
DecFan wrote:And the live updates don't update.

Women's shot put was sometimes 15 minutes behind the throw... poor form.

High Jump is doing pretty well. updating almost instantaneously.
ATK

Postby aaronk » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:33 pm

aaronk wrote:I'm (miraculously) getting the Universal Sports FREE coverage!!
Correct??

Wrong!!
That "coverage" was just a "preview"!!
Back to USATF.tv......or Twitter!!
aaronk

Postby tm71 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:37 pm

aaronk wrote:
aaronk wrote:I'm (miraculously) getting the Universal Sports FREE coverage!!
Correct??

Wrong!!
That "coverage" was just a "preview"!!
Back to USATF.tv......or Twitter!!

Women's 1500 and rest of finals will be on Nbcsn
tm71

Very Poor USATF Reporting on the Net and TV. Like the NCAAs

Postby sleeperz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:14 pm

The USATF Internet coverage and TV coverage is not much better than the NCAAs. We have listened to Godina and O'Brien and now Brad Walker talk about his lactic acid and knees. We were supposed to be able to watch field events on-line. That has gone by the way too. Even Godina and Dan say they can't get event results. The american record was set in the Women's shot and we watched a miss in the Deca PV, then 5 minutes of blue screen with names and standing around blocks. At least in the NCAA's we had different cameras to watch. Our coverage is a joke. The "World" is laughing. Dwight Stones is doing his usual poor biased job. He even said Jack Whitt didn't make the team in the Men's PV. You should have heard Joe Dial and Dick Railsback's comments about Stones! I expect Stones is paying a lot of money for the privilege of being able to repot. Even TFN identified the poor reporting of the Outdoor NC's. The Brits did a pretty good job in London. You'd think we coiuld get better. The Guy with the English accent did a great job for us the past couple day. Where is he today? Too bad.
Oh, Olive,r Wilson, Payne and Merritt were the top 4 in the HH Semi's if the live results were right or they are the trials and the Internet live results are being block. So much for people trying to get results! Such a joke on the USA Track and Field reporting. Remember Tia Brooks didn't even get mentioned much less Video time on the Indoor Shot Record. Who makes these decisions? Stones?
sleeperz

Postby tm71 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Hutchins on NBC as guest, maybe they are listening to us !
tm71

Postby TrackTeacher_AP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 pm

I wouldn't suppose anyone has any links to watch the running events online? (My cable provider does not have NBC Sports or CBS Sports)
TrackTeacher_AP

Postby DrJay » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:30 pm

Oh goody, Masback on the mic. I think I'll go paint something so I can watch it dry.
DrJay

Postby tm71 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:34 pm

TrackTeacher_AP wrote:I wouldn't suppose anyone has any links to watch the running events online? (My cable provider does not have NBC Sports or CBS Sports)

NBC extra log on to NBC sports dot com
tm71

Postby sleeperz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:40 pm

We were supposed to watch field events during the TV. Even 45 minutes before the TV started the field events were essentially cut off. Even Godina and O'Brien said they could get live results. So, we heard of their personal lives and then Brad Walker's lactic acid and bad knees. Very poor. At least during the NCAA's we had a different camera on each field even. We didn't see Carter's America Record in the Shot. We watched a DECA PV miss and then 5 minutes of blue screen with names and runners standing by blocks. We didn't see Whitt's third place vault when he was leading the Men's PV. Then Stones said he would not be on the team. Joe Dial's response was appropriate about Stones. Same with Dick Railsback. We have been listening to "The Mouth That Roared" too long. He doesn't get better. Who make s the camera decision? There seems to be one camera for all the field events. The promised Video during thew TV was a waste. I hope our USATF dues aren't paying for this. I stayed home to watch. What a waste of time. Tim Scott, US Army, LTC, Ret, Anesthesia Provider, Former NCAA competitor, and probably "former" National USATF Official. -After this complaint. We are a joke in the international world too with this poor Internet coverage and Too repetitive TV coverage. We saw the 100 meters again just now but I bet we will not see all three Women's Shot Puts for their top throws. We saw more misses in the Deca PV than Shot puts or discus or many other throws. Very Poor coverage. We can put a man on the moon. I did an successful anesthetic for a 102 year old a couple weeks ago, but we can't watch 5 percent of the USA Field events.
sleeperz

Postby cladthin » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:50 pm

While as a coach I enjoyed hearing from Walker regarding therapy etc. I also realize that the online stream is really not the place for that as fans we also want to see what's going on live.

I must also say that I think Godina and O'Brien are doing as well as they can given the limitations of the amateur production, lack of direction, poor camera placement, at times no picture available, etc. I actually feel sorry for those guys trying to make chicken salad from....

This is certainly an interesting way USATF has chosen to grow the sport, assuming that might be part of the reason for any on-line stream availability occurring in the first place. It's hard to imagine much effort went into this "production" and if it did then that's truly sad.
cladthin

Postby TrackTeacher_AP » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:54 pm

tm71 wrote:
TrackTeacher_AP wrote:I wouldn't suppose anyone has any links to watch the running events online? (My cable provider does not have NBC Sports or CBS Sports)

Nope didn't work. It reminded me that my Service Provider does not carry this. I took a screen shot but I do not see a way to add an attachment to this post.
TrackTeacher_AP

Postby tm71 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:56 pm

TrackTeacher_AP wrote:
tm71 wrote:

Nope didn't work. It reminded me that my Service Provider does not carry this. I took a screen shot but I do not see a way to add an attachment to this post.

Sorry ! My cable carrier doesnt have universal sports network but I have nbcsn
tm71

Postby no one » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:32 pm

was late, still curious - is that Garry H announcing in stadium? thats my only question. Throw me a bone
no one

Postby gh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:47 pm

i'm doing 1/3 of it (Mike Jay and Paul Swangard the other thirds) (plus Zeke on multis, of course)
gh

Postby polevaultpower » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:53 pm

gh will the in-progress online field event results be any better tomorrow? Or should I just give up now and beg the Twitterverse to update me? That's got to be driving you guys crazy as well? Or do you have a secret feed to accurate info? ;)
polevaultpower

Postby rsb2 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:17 pm

I picked up a link to NBC Sports from a tip on LetsRun, of all places. And I'm in Canada, so theoretically not able to watch it. I'm so glad I was able to watch the last 2 hours of coverage, even with all the flaws!
rsb2

Postby 26mi235 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:41 pm

tm71 wrote:Ridiculous how Godina says sorry for the pause while we watch the hurdles but the hurdles aren't on out screen. I am very appreciative that we have the live stream option in addition to the live tv coverage but the production and commentary is amateur. I hope it is better in 2015 !

Completely disagree, I liked it and I liked it more the more I listened. They could not control things but they could report things.
26mi235

Postby Al in NYC » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Just finished watching the meet on my DVR. Shame they went back to Hammond and didn't keep Hutchins on as lead commentator.

And did I miss something, or was Michelle Carter's SP AR not mentioned at all on the NBCSN telecast? Didn't know it had happened until I came to this board.
Al in NYC

Postby Weights&Shoes » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:01 pm

rsb2 wrote:I picked up a link to NBC Sports from a tip on LetsRun, of all places. And I'm in Canada, so theoretically not able to watch it. I'm so glad I was able to watch the last 2 hours of coverage, even with all the flaws!

I'm in Canada and couldn't find a link to the NBC Sports feed.
Weights&Shoes

Postby HopStepJump » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Al in NYC wrote:Just finished watching the meet on my DVR. Shame they went back to Hammond and didn't keep Hutchins on as lead commentator.

And did I miss something, or was Michelle Carter's SP AR not mentioned at all on the NBCSN telecast? Didn't know it had happened until I came to this board.

It was shown during the Universal Sports coverage before NBCSN.
HopStepJump

Postby HopStepJump » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:18 pm

cladthin wrote:While as a coach I enjoyed hearing from Walker regarding therapy etc. I also realize that the online stream is really not the place for that as fans we also want to see what's going on live.

I must also say that I think Godina and O'Brien are doing as well as they can given the limitations of the amateur production, lack of direction, poor camera placement, at times no picture available, etc. I actually feel sorry for those guys trying to make chicken salad from....

This is certainly an interesting way USATF has chosen to grow the sport, assuming that might be part of the reason for any on-line stream availability occurring in the first place. It's hard to imagine much effort went into this "production" and if it did then that's truly sad.

If I remember correctly, they were showing the end of the women's high jump while Godina was interviewing Walker. I actually really enjoy listening to Godina. He's pretty damn funny, actually.
HopStepJump

Postby no one » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:14 pm

thanks for verification Garry
no one

Postby tm71 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:06 pm

Al in NYC wrote:Just finished watching the meet on my DVR. Shame they went back to Hammond and didn't keep Hutchins on as lead commentator.

at least it seems that LR got canned from ESPN. maybe NBC can can Tom but i doubt it !
tm71

Postby gh » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:19 pm

polevaultpower wrote:gh will the in-progress online field event results be any better tomorrow? Or should I just give up now and beg the Twitterverse to update me? That's got to be driving you guys crazy as well? Or do you have a secret feed to accurate info? ;)

nfi. Sorry.
gh

Postby DrJay » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:46 pm

NBCSN missed some very basic things. Why the hell don't they stop the on-screen timer for lap times? That was being done as long ago as Munich, IIRC. Though she finished out of the money, not ONE mention of Uceny before, during, nor after the 1500 final. What idiots. And we were told Nixon needed to run some sort of 1500 time to make an A or B standard, but, correct me if I missed it, none of the talking heads actually told us what those times were before or during the race! No spotter/stat guy to feed them that info? Unbelievably bad. Then Masback drones on about Centro's workouts as the 1500 is really, really heating up with only 500 to go. My god, man, save it for later or use that bit during the pedestrian first laps.
DrJay

Postby Alan Shank » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:58 pm

I really thought we were going to continue with Tim Hutchings (note the 'g', he finished 4th in the 5000 in 1984, 7th in 1987 -- give him some respect!) in place of Tom Hammonds, but no such luck. The "blithering idiot" was back in his spot. The camera work was the usual cock-up, and we got Masback instead of Hutchings for the W SC.

Then, of course, they had to show us stuff we'd already seen on ESPN on Friday or Universal Sports earlier today, wasting time they could have used on more field-event coverage. After Barrett cleared 2.04, Dwight said "American-record attempt coming up", but that apparently never happened.

I didn't hear any mention of the fact that Dawn Harper-Nelson had scratched from the 100 H, or that we would be sending four to Moscow. Ditto with Demus in 400 H, although maybe I missed it.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby Al in NYC » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:06 pm

HopStepJump wrote:

Well, that explains how I missed it. Here in NYC we get only Time Warner Cable, which is the second largest cable provider in the country, and doesn't carry Universal Sports.

Of course, none of the other major cable systems carry it either. Which begs the question: why the hell is part of our national championships on a channel that almost nobody receives? I would much rather that it was streamed (hopefully with somewhat higher production values than this week's broadcasts), which would at least mean that anyone with decent internet access could see it.
Al in NYC

Postby Alan Shank » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:47 pm

Al in NYC wrote:
HopStepJump wrote:

Well, that explains how I missed it. Here in NYC we get only Time Warner Cable, which is the second largest cable provider in the country, and doesn't carry Universal Sports.

Of course, none of the other major cable systems carry it either. Which begs the question: why the hell is part of our national championships on a channel that almost nobody receives? I would much rather that it was streamed (hopefully with somewhat higher production values than this week's broadcasts), which would at least mean that anyone with decent internet access could see it.

Not sure of the answer, but I think Universal Sports is part of the NBC "corporate cancer", so they get the dregs, then NBCSN gets the better stuff, and finally the "flagship" station gets the Sunday afternoon all-finals part. I'm not sure about ESPN; it used to be part of ABC Sports, but now they use much of the NBC announcing crew. Thursday on ESPN2 they had Tim Hutchings, Ato Boldon, Lewis Johnson and Dwight Stones, then the same crew on Universal Sports, but when it switched to NBCSN, we had those four, but with Tom Hamhock in the "lead" spot.

Fortunately for me, DirecTV does carry Universal Sports, which also enables me to get the live DL streaming on US for free. However, I had to buy a "sports package", most of which I never watch, to get Universal.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby Pego » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:32 am

Alan Shank wrote:I didn't hear any mention of the fact that Dawn Harper-Nelson had scratched from the 100 H, or that we would be sending four to Moscow. Ditto with Demus in 400 H, although maybe I missed it.

If you missed it, so did I. Every time I want to pull my hair out (if I had any, that is), I just keep reminding myself how much better this is than what we had for decades.
Pego

Postby Master Po » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:37 am

Pego wrote:...Every time I want to pull my hair out (if I had any, that is), I just keep reminding myself how much better this is than what we had for decades.

^
Agree. This attitude is what allows me to keep the little bit of hair I still have. Easy to imagine how this could be improved, but it is so much better than what we have endured for such a long time.
Master Po

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:17 am

Saturday's show had ample time to show us plenty of past action. 100h semis, wrap up of 10k's; Woman's SP; yada. yada. The 100h is THE story of the meet and it's such a short race, and they could've built it up. What do we get? Lolo's new start. I guess Video was done and these guys cannot be flexible. I get it, though. TF is a minor sport and there is no $ for better shows, except every 4 years. The Livecast is an improvement though if one doesn't mind sitting around picking the best fruit off the tree.
jeremyp

Postby jeremyp » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:18 am

Master Po wrote:
Pego wrote:...Every time I want to pull my hair out (if I had any, that is), I just keep reminding myself how much better this is than what we had for decades.

^
Agree. This attitude is what allows me to keep the little bit of hair I still have. Easy to imagine how this could be improved, but it is so much better than what we have endured for such a long time.

Yep. I remember having to go to the local (Salt Lake) library to look up results on the L.A. Times. Track news by Tom Tom.
jeremyp

PreviousNext