Des Moines weather [+ site-hosting thoughts]

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Des Moines weather [+ site-hosting thoughts]

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:39 am

Mighty Favog wrote:The only possible good that could come of the USATF meet being at Spire is that nothing of note will ever be there again. Management and organization at their indoor meets this year was truly awful. I suspect (real) (paid) attendance would struggle to break 1,000.

60-odd years ago many were hoping that another site in Ohio would never come anywhere near a Nationals.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 2&p=357283
gh

Postby bushop » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:41 am

Any parameters on the date?
No later than.... ?
bushop

Postby gh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:49 am

far as I know, the meet is pretty much graved in stone (other than OT years) as ending the 4th Sunday in June, which these days means always 2 weeks after the NCAA. There were years when they were on consecutive weeks, but 15-odd years ago I think it was Masback who mandated that the meet--for TV considerations--never go up against the U.S. Open, which I believe always ends he third Sunday in June. (I'm not 100% sure of my facts here)
gh

Postby Mighty Favog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:33 am

US Open always ends on Father's Day. So one week after that.

Sacramento is definitely putting in a bid. Site inspection is next week, according to UC Davis head coach Drew Wartenburg.
Mighty Favog

Postby Alan Shank » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:11 am

Mighty Favog wrote:US Open always ends on Father's Day. So one week after that.

Sacramento is definitely putting in a bid. Site inspection is next week, according to UC Davis head coach Drew Wartenburg.

Which site?? Hope it's not Sac State.
Cheers,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA, USA
Alan Shank

Postby DrJay » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:47 am

gh wrote:
Mighty Favog wrote:The only possible good that could come of the USATF meet being at Spire is that nothing of note will ever be there again. Management and organization at their indoor meets this year was truly awful. I suspect (real) (paid) attendance would struggle to break 1,000.

60-odd years ago many were hoping that another site in Ohio would never come anywhere near a Nationals.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... 2&p=357283

Wow! That's a good bit of history that everyone here should read. Sad to note that 18 years later, when Pre died, the athletes were still having to fight the AAU.
DrJay

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:41 am

bruce3404 wrote:
gh wrote:actually, strongest rumor I heard in Des Moines was Geneva, Ohio (Spire Institute).

Which I gather moves jumps out of the infield as well.

I heard that one, too. Somewhere about 40 miles from Cleveland. Good luck with hotel accommodations. A long RT from Cleveland every day.

You're all welcome to stay with me at my sister's house in Shaker Heights.
Brian

Postby tandfman » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:53 am

Long story on Spire here:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/ ... /130709955

Not a word about the possibility of Spire's hosting next year's USATF Championships.
tandfman

Postby donley2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:08 pm

Just now happened upon a tidbit over at http://www.tracksuperfan.com/ that implied that significant blocks of seats at Des Moines were sold to companies but not actually used by anyone. That makes more sense compared to the number of people I actually saw in the stands.
donley2

Postby bruce3404 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 pm

donley2 wrote:Just now happened upon a tidbit over at http://www.tracksuperfan.com/ that implied that significant blocks of seats at Des Moines were sold to companies but not actually used by anyone. That makes more sense compared to the number of people I actually saw in the stands.

No doubt, but it is the practice of most sports teams to announce tickets sold rather than butts in seats and some venues will even count athletes, trainers, officials, etc as part of the attendance.
What's really sad is the corporate folks couldn't even give their tickets away (or simply chose not to). Would have been nice if a bunch of kids would have been able to use those seats.
bruce3404

Previous