Thornton to retire, UT programs to be combined

Main message board: for the discussion of topical track & field items only.

Re: Thornton to retire, UT programs to be combined

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 am

KevinM wrote:
EPelle wrote:Whilst Thornton has retired, Coach Frye on Monday was extended four more years with the Gamecocks.

Speaking of programs that have sort of fallen off the map...

I wonder how much effect Allen Johnson's message board tirade against him had on the program. I don't think I have ever seen another athlete of his stature attack a coach in such an overt and viscious manner.
jazzcyclist

Postby dl » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:44 am

jazzcyclist wrote:
KevinM wrote:
EPelle wrote:Whilst Thornton has retired, Coach Frye on Monday was extended four more years with the Gamecocks.

I wonder how much effect Allen Johnson's message board tirade against him had on the program. I don't think I have ever seen another athlete of his stature attack a coach in such an overt and viscious manner.

Do you have a link to that?
dl

Postby KevinM » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:53 am

dl wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:
KevinM wrote:

Do you have a link to that?

Dan - here's the thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29796&hilit=Frye
KevinM

Postby jazzcyclist » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:54 am

dl wrote:Do you have a link to that?

His username is "sub13". Do you know how to use the search function?
jazzcyclist

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Tonja Buford-Bailey has taken a job as one of Mario Sategna's assistants. I wonder how much that cost. It couldn't have been cheap to get a head coach at a Big Ten school to take a demotion.

http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-tra ... 13aaa.html
jazzcyclist

Postby TxHottrack » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:40 pm

jazzcyclist wrote:Tonja Buford-Bailey has taken a job as one of Mario Sategna's assistants. I wonder how much that cost. It couldn't have been cheap to get a head coach at a Big Ten school to take a demotion.

I don't think this is consider a demotion at all. To be the associate head coach for both the men and women sprint teams at the University of Texas is a promotion in all regards. I am very happy with this hire.
TxHottrack

Postby jazzcyclist » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

TxHottrack wrote:
jazzcyclist wrote:Tonja Buford-Bailey has taken a job as one of Mario Sategna's assistants. I wonder how much that cost. It couldn't have been cheap to get a head coach at a Big Ten school to take a demotion.

I don't think this is consider a demotion at all. To be the head associate coach for both the men and women sprint teams at the University of Texas is a promotion in all regards.

It may be a better job than the one she had, but she still has a head track coach that she has to answer to, and who can overrule her on track & field decisions, instead of an athletic director as was the case at Illinois.
jazzcyclist

Postby houstonian » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Grade for hire: 98. It is the best possible move on six fronts. Home run. I am impressed Sategna had so much insight and went straight to the source. Brilliant hire. It aint over either.
I predict the person who joins her will be the perfect complement to TB-B's very humanistic character.
Breath of fresh air! (salutes)
houstonian

Postby TxHottrack » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 pm

houstonian wrote:Grade for hire: 98. It is the best possible move on six fronts. Home run. I am impressed Sategna had so much insight and went straight to the source. Brilliant hire. It aint over either.
I predict the person who joins her will be the perfect complement to TB-B's very humanistic character.
Breath of fresh air! (salutes)

Well said!!!!
TxHottrack

Postby 26mi235 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 am

With the combined programs, Sategna will need help in the recruiting from the top, and being the Associate rather than an Assistant, should matter, combined with her tenure of head coach at a Big Ten school and the highly visible success with a rapidly improving athlete helps her rep. Sategna will have to do more of the school administrative stuff and has the advantage/knowledge for that job. I suspect that Sategna was substantial recruiting contact so that the current and following year sets of athletes will feel comfortable with the transition. Texas can afford to pay T B-B, and I hope that they are.
26mi235

Postby Cooter Brown » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:40 am

Ty Sevin has been added as Field Event Coach.
Cooter Brown

Postby KevinM » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Cooter Brown wrote:Ty Sevin has been added as Field Event Coach.

And Brad Herbster as distance coach.
KevinM

Postby TxHottrack » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:57 pm

I'm happy about all the decisions Mario have made so far. However, I have my thoughts about Herbster. I will give him a chance but I just don't know if he can make an immediate impact for the distance groups.
TxHottrack

Next